I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Biz accounts are weird. I have charges slow to show as pending, disappear for a while then post. So annoying. The credit available seems up to date and reflects recent charges. The rest is a mess.
So its definitely a common theme! I wonder why Chase's business accounts are so wonky? I guess 80,000 bonus points is enough for people to put up with it.

DirecTV is driving me nuts. I set a series for Victoria in the first season and had worked yet didn't record when the 3rd season started 2 weeks ago. I had a season pass set for Dr Pimple Popper (so awesome if you aren't squeamish and she really loves her job) and it's been going just fine yet it decided to disappear from the season pass list so I had to redo it tonight when I went to watch the new ep. i'd blame my mom but it's enough that she is able to set up a season pass then watch and delete things, there's no way she's deleting season passes.

Last weekend's movie was All the President's Men. This weekend is the Maltese Falcon, I've got to pick it up tomorrow. I've decided to try and watch an old movie every weekend this year. Suggestions welcome :)

I drive and love my 01 Ford with crank windows, no cruise control, 2 door coupe. I would like heated seats but I had a keyless Flex a couple weeks ago when having some work done on mine and ignoring the huge size difference, I don't need all that tech though the seat warmers were awesome. Plus I'm too short for new cars or I think it's that they've decided headrests have to be higher and they are in teh way and annoying. Whiplash blah blah, I twisted two vertebrae in my neck when I hit my head on the back window in my dad's truck when we got rearended, back when there was only a bench seat for 3. So I don't see how a higher headrest would keep that from happening. I also like my 2 door coupe which just doesn't exist any more unless you get into the sport or luxury market which is annoying. We don't all want 4 doors or tiny/mini 2 door cars. Not that I'm looking to replace my car any time soon, it's fun and I still enjoy it.

So its definitely a common theme! I wonder why Chase's business accounts are so wonky? I guess 80,000 bonus points is enough for people to put up with it.

While I don't have a chase biz card to compare it, I HATE BofA's biz card interface, it's super annoying. It did automatically connect it with my personal login which is helpful. I've got it all marked as paperless yet they keep sending me a statement. Now that you can't churn with BofA as often with the new 24 mos rule I'll keep the personal and get rid of the biz. Now Amex I like their biz, it makes sense and I've done well enough with the offers I'll keep it.

Ouch. Interesting if Amex is now counting new cards opened against retention offers too.

I can't prove that's what it is, but it was mentioned along with some other things like usage, etc. It's either that or they just don't like us anymore.

spend spend spend!

I promise you that the 2018 spend on this card wasn't small, even if the usage went down quite a bit this fall. It got 100% of our spend until August, and 2018 was an unusually expensive year for us.

Are we twins? we went to Maui for our honeymoon too (and Kauai). Broke up home via Vegas and there a longish layover at LAX

We went to Kauai & Maui for our honeymoon, too!

Yeah, for everyone but us. Nothing we can do...

:badpc: :badpc: :badpc: (I'm so OVER this bleeping shutdown)

HAWAII UPDATE:

Southwest Hawaii flights were to be cleared for takeoff this month (January) according to airline officials. They warned today, however, that the federal government shutdown has significantly impacted their obtaining final approval.

Southwest’s COO Mike Van de Ven said today that the company has only a “reasonable chance” to start Hawaii flights this quarter due to the shutdown. A March start would only be possible in the event the shutdown ends in the next week. “Otherwise, it will actually be in the second quarter.”

CEO Gary Kelly: “Our remaining work is currently suspended until the government reopens and the FAA is allowed to resume normal certification activities…. We are anxious for the government to resolve this shutdown so we can bring low fares and a boost to Hawaii’s travel and tourism industry.”

Beat of Hawaii’s take:

At this point, it could well be summer before Southwest Hawaii flights are in the air. Southwest had previously hoped to be flying to the islands in time for the high-priced holiday season that just passed. That didn’t happen, which then brought them to starting in the February/March period, in time for spring break. Then the shutdown occurred, throwing all schedules out the window. And at this point, entering the market during the already soft (low cost) post spring break season doesn’t really make a lot of sense.

Under the current circumstances, the optimal time for Southwest to begin flights is June.

Frustration. My CIP payment got returned AGAIN. First time, I thought maybe I typed the account number wrong, retyped it and it went through. Had another payment go through after that. No idea why this automatic payment got returned. Definitely not for insufficient balance.

First time they refunded the returned payment fee. This time there's the returned payment fee, late payment fee, and interest charges. A little worried since it's the second time, but if they don't refund it all, I'm going to be >:(. Sent a SM already, so I should hear back tomorrow morning. ARGH. Hope I don't need to escalate!

ETA: Thought I'd go and change my auto pay to be a few days earlier just in case this happens again. Nope. Not an option. :badpc:

Last edited:
On the topic of cars, we have Toyota Sienna that I don't love because I was supposed to be done with minivans and it's just not me. Prior to that I had a Mazda CX-9 that I absolutely loved, but had to get rid of due to transmission issues. So, since I hate the van, I drive (or don't drive) an older Audi A4 that I lovely refer to as my "oversize water bottle" since it for some reason leaks into the passenger floorboard in a heavy rain. It was supposed to be my son's car, but he didn't want it. Hopefully in the next 2 years we'll be replacing the van or at least adding a car. Probably adding and keeping the van as the softball-mobile. Looked an older Audi Q7 last week, I love that car. Today looked at a new CX-9 that I might like, but not as much as the one I had. Leather, AWD and sunroof are my requirements.

There are advantages to being a work at home, home school mom and having a husband that works from home. We really only need one car right now and I really don't have to drive anywhere so I don't have to love my car at the moment ;)

Ok, that makes me feel better. Well, better knowing it will be delayed. I always get paranoid.

I also like that instant gratification! I see the remaining credit is less than my CL so I know the charges I made are truly pending. I guess its something I will just have to deal with in order to get the 80,000 UR haha

If you want to see your charges on a Chase business card, click on the Ultimate Rewards points to be taken to the UR portal. There, you can check recent activity and transactions tend to list faster there than on your account’s online statement, and they don’t disappear and then reappear. You can also see the points you earned on each transaction.

@magickingdomprincess and anyone else considering the transfer/cancel trick to trigger the Discover savings bonus. Discover locked the account temporarily due to unusual activity, which is not terribly surprising. I had to call this morning to get the account unfrozen. They didn't ask why I did those transactions, I only needed to verify that I had done the transactions and some security questions. If that prospect makes you uncomfortable, I wouldn't do the trick. But it was a fairly easy phone call to get everything unfrozen.

Well, we all thought there was no way Marriott's naming could get even worse than "Bonvoy." We were wrong. Boundless! Brilliant!

I eagerly await until DW and I can apply for the SPG Lux or whatever they call it at that point but we're still a year away.

Sometimes, I don't know if I should laugh or cry that I've gotten so used to living in DC that I think "You ONLY have to pay $13 for a cocktail AND you got a snack with it????"

My cards don't expire for a few years so I'll keep my purple for a bit.

In reference to the DC cocktail and snacks, I have a difficult time choosing dining out in DC because of the 10% tax rate on restaurants. Last time I ate out in DC was at Kennedy Center in the summer. Maryland and Virginia are 6% and have loads of restaurant choices.

:badpc: :badpc: :badpc: (I'm so OVER this bleeping shutdown)

HAWAII UPDATE:

Southwest Hawaii flights were to be cleared for takeoff this month (January) according to airline officials. They warned today, however, that the federal government shutdown has significantly impacted their obtaining final approval.

Southwest’s COO Mike Van de Ven said today that the company has only a “reasonable chance” to start Hawaii flights this quarter due to the shutdown. A March start would only be possible in the event the shutdown ends in the next week. “Otherwise, it will actually be in the second quarter.”

CEO Gary Kelly: “Our remaining work is currently suspended until the government reopens and the FAA is allowed to resume normal certification activities…. We are anxious for the government to resolve this shutdown so we can bring low fares and a boost to Hawaii’s travel and tourism industry.”

Beat of Hawaii’s take:

At this point, it could well be summer before Southwest Hawaii flights are in the air. Southwest had previously hoped to be flying to the islands in time for the high-priced holiday season that just passed. That didn’t happen, which then brought them to starting in the February/March period, in time for spring break. Then the shutdown occurred, throwing all schedules out the window. And at this point, entering the market during the already soft (low cost) post spring break season doesn’t really make a lot of sense.

Under the current circumstances, the optimal time for Southwest to begin flights is June.

I’m over it too...on a personal level...my SIL is ATC...working without pay..2 paychecks missed now...he and my daughter have a lot of savings...she calculated they can go 30 months..with her salary and their savings....but it’s affected some of their friends who are paycheck to paycheck...
plus they were going to start a family soon and that’s on hold...they are both super stressed out

I actually just opened one of these for P2, and tried the cancel/withdrawal trick yesterday. I'll report back if it works. In your case, because Discover posts so fast, I would absolutely shoot for the $25k. The nice thing is, they'll post $150 once you hit $15k, then post the last $50 once you cross the $25k threshold. I don't think it makes a difference if you push or pull from BoA. Discover doesn't require a DD, only ACH, so it shouldn't make a difference. And yes, there is a limit of 6 withdrawals from savings accounts. The trial deposits that come from other banks and get pulled back also count toward this limit, so be careful! Discover clearly displays how many you have left on your account page.

I did the cancel trick in the fall and it worked. I had already gotten the $150 bonus with cumulative deposits, but I didn’t have time to deposit/redeposit enough for the extra $50 bonus (to earn the full $200) by the deadline. So I figured I had nothing to lose.

The Discover bonus is cumulative. Once you hit $15k in deposits, you get the $150. If you add another $10k in cumulative deposits to that afterward by the deadline, you get another $50. So I got the $150 bonus with deposits, then tried my luck on the last $50 with the cancel trick.

Thanks for the feedback! Can anyone explain how long you wait to cancel the deposit after scheduling it? I did make a whole plan of of how to get it to work for both accounts, however I just scheduled my first transfer pulling from BoA to Discover, and it said the funds won't be available until 1/31. If each transaction takes that long, I won't have enough time to get all of my transfers/withdrawls to work. Thanks!

Just to make sure you know this - you can only get one SW personal card per 24 months. So unfortunately you will not be able to refer him to both SW personal cards (and biz don't have referrals although others already pointed that out).

Technically the MDD has been working for this but it's not a strategy to accumulate over a long term, obviously. So when I read the OP I assumed that strategy... but then totally missed wanting to do the SW biz too so that would want to be done first/ earlier since two SW personals are going to take up slots, plus the other Disney cards. There's a lot to want :) Where'd that meme get to... "All the Chase cards!"

Another bank account bonus DP, this one regarding the Wells Fargo $250 nationwide bonus.

I last received a WF personal checking bonus on 1/24/18, so assuming WF's rule of one bonus every 12 months is to the day, I should be eligible. I successfully applied and was approved, and the account opening page states I am eligible for the bonus, so I will find out soon enough.

Thanks for the feedback! Can anyone explain how long you wait to cancel the deposit after scheduling it? I did make a whole plan of of how to get it to work for both accounts, however I just scheduled my first transfer pulling from BoA to Discover, and it said the funds won't be available until 1/31. If each transaction takes that long, I won't have enough time to get all of my transfers/withdrawls to work. Thanks!

I literally initiated the transfer on the Discover account, then immediately cancelled it. Should work right away.

@magickingdomprincess and anyone else considering the transfer/cancel trick to trigger the Discover savings bonus. Discover locked the account temporarily due to unusual activity, which is not terribly surprising. I had to call this morning to get the account unfrozen. They didn't ask why I did those transactions, I only needed to verify that I had done the transactions and some security questions. If that prospect makes you uncomfortable, I wouldn't do the trick. But it was a fairly easy phone call to get everything unfrozen.
That just popped up in the DPs thread yesterday too, seems like too many cancels at once is triggering something.
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/ajbdba/comment/eevnt0a

Perhaps if you stick to one a day and try on a few different days?

I initiated a transfer out of Discover, then cancelled it about 2 minutes later. I only had to do one to get to $25k, and I didn't have my account frozen for the one cancelled transfer. But this was back in October, so maybe things have changed.

@amalone1013 - I was doing a second round of Staples’ no fee $100 MCGCs on DW’s account today, after her first batch shipped, and I noticed that I could put 10x $100 MCGCs (the supposed limit) into her cart and not be charged a fee on any, even though she had already bought $500 worth a few days ago. I ended up buying only $500 worth more today, but may try for more on my account before this deal expires on 1/26/19. Time to put your shiny new CIC to the test!
I'm definitely going to pick up a few hundred today, but maybe I'll just go for it with the full amount... I literally have the cash to pay this set aside, I think it just makes me nervous for such a big charge at once :laughing:
I'm sorry...but this one HAS to be NEWSWORTHY!!! Added it to the thread!!
Ha, I was like the fact that I still dated DH? Or that my car was set on fire? I see... Both!
For what it's worth, when I did my account last Fall or summer, I did not do the transfer/cancel trick but I did get my account frozen. I moved in $15k, moved out $10k, moved in $10k to trigger the $200 bonus, then I moved all but about $1200 back out. This got my account frozen. I didn't desperately need in to get that $1200, so I didn't call or respond to the letters, and in a week or so it wasn't frozen anymore. In case anyone is anti-phone like me :)

Totally agree on the minivan stuff. I never understood why people with one child needed so much space but I know a bunch who did. I get it if you have a large family although I’d probably just a larger SUV. I can’t even explain it but I’m just not a fan.
I had a sweet minivan for about 10-12 years and I MISS that baby..... got good mileage, could haul furniture/people/anything I needed! my current Sonata is a great sedan, but I want another minivan! I still don't understand suv's and 3rd row seating and all that hassle....trying to convince Dh to buy another! We rent one on practically every vacation and I love them

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter