I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw someone ask but don’t think I saw any responses.
Can someone remind me of the cancellation policy if I cancel a room I booked at WDW with AA miles? I vaguely remember a fee of $150 but don’t remember what it was for. Can I pay the fee and get my points back?
Its been a rough month and I found out today that I have stage 2 cancer and need to have a chunk of my liver removed, most likely between 4-6 weeks from now. So it likes I won’t be running the half marathon or staying at the GF this year. I’m hoping we can do a trip to celebrate everything going well in a few months but at this time I have no clue when that might be.

So sorry you're going through this! Best thoughts for a full recovery. :grouphug:

You're from Kansas too?? Cool!
I don't have any side businesses really. Just shop for our local All Night prom. We do have a tax ID number, but it's not in my name, of course. I bartend part time at Sprint Center and work part time at a winery in addition to my full time job.
Any advice since I don't have any businesses??

Many of us stretch what most people would consider to be the definition of a business to go for biz cards. Even selling a few items on FB or ebay can count, and projected profits can be used when applying. But, if you’re not comfortable with that, that’s completely up to you! It took me a little while to get comfortable with it, and my DH still is not.

I’m trying to think what the best personal cc to sign up for would be. Either the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Preferred might be a good place to start (CSR or CSP). Those are ultimate rewards earning cards (are you familiar with UR’s?) It’s a very flexible currency and can be cashed out if needed.

There’s a BoA Premier card that I think I’m going to go for next, that my DH currently has. BoA cards aren’t discussed much on here, but it has a $500 reward for $3k MSR, and includes a $100 calendar year travel credit for seat upgrades, fees, etc, and also a $100 TSA precheck credit.

I think there are also some CapOne cards that are good too, I’m not familiar with those however. Hopefully someone else will have some good suggestions!

Did you apply as sole proprietorship, with your SSN as the tax ID, and your name as the business name?

Were you denied and called recon? Perhaps the app was too close to another Chase app. Or maybe your total Chase credit limits were too high?

If you want to give more details, we can troubleshoot if you want to try again.

I think I want to stay away from biz cards for now. I am thinking of the Cap One Venture or Savor.

I’m open to business cards since I’m perhaps a “party planning” side business. I’m looking at SW premier for 60k points and $99 AF and the Premier for 70k points and $199 AF. What is the better offer in your opinion?
I’m learning so everyone please bear with my dumb questions.
Im leaning toward the the SW Biz Premier so I can try for the companion pass. I’m looking at the application. I’m assuming sole proprietor. But it’s also asking for a Tax ID. Do you all with side hustles apply for a tax id? When you file taxes do you have to do anything?
I have a tax For my all night prom account, but I really don’t feel comfortable using that tax Id.
Sorry for all of the questions.
I looked at r/churning on Reddit to try to get some info as well. But dang, those people are not nice.

I'm late to respond, but it sounds like you went for the SW biz card. Let us know how it goes! I was going to say go for both if the CP would be advantageous for you! Make sure to ask @Lain to sign you up for our private Dischurners reddit page - lots of good information there that we can't/don't want to share here.

I think I want to stay away from biz cards for now. I am thinking of the Cap One Venture or Savor.

While I do recommend starting with Chase and thinking hard about whether you do have a business, I do have the Cap One Venture if you have any questions about it.

Wow, bad news on a major devaluation for @Lain...

The current Starbucks card sign up bonus is now a $250 Starbucks GC for $500 in spend and no waived AF for the first year... not sure that Lain can recommend this card anymore.

giphy.gif

Can someone please tell me the formula/multiplier to convert a cash price to the cost in UR’s? I think it’s the cash price * 80 for CIP/CSP, and cash price * .667 for CSR – is that right? I’m trying to decide whether it makes sense to have DH upgrade from him CFU to a CSR. I have a CIP and have a preliminary ressie booked for 3 nights at the HRH at UO, but wondering if just for this alone if upgrading would be a good idea, especially since we could take advantage of other UR bookings using the CSR. TIA!

Can someone please tell me the formula/multiplier to convert a cash price to the cost in UR’s? I think it’s the cash price * 80 for CIP/CSP, and cash price * .667 for CSR – is that right? I’m trying to decide whether it makes sense to have DH upgrade from him CFU to a CSR. I have a CIP and have a preliminary ressie booked for 3 nights at the HRH at UO, but wondering if just for this alone if upgrading would be a good idea, especially since we could take advantage of other UR bookings using the CSR. TIA!
$$$/.0125 CIP
$$$/.015 CSR

Your formula is correct (1/1.25 = 0.80, 1/1.5 = 0.667). Since you already have the CIP, I'll assume the AF is a sunk cost. So the question is if the $150 effective AF to upgrade to CSR is worth it. That's assuming you can use the $300 travel credit easily. Break even point comparing 1.25 vs 1.5 to recoup $150 is $1125 in redemptions through the portal. Disregarding everything else that comes with the CSR (TSA/Global entry, Priority Pass, etc).

Forgive me if this has already been discussed ad nauseam, but the whole Amex Rat thing boggles my mind. I don’t understand how they can justify clawing back points (self referrals) and now credits for what appear to be flaws in their own system. I understand the referrals were not intended for self referrals, but in my opinion they f’d up when they created a system that let those things slip through. They should have accepted responsibility for the error in their system, and as soon as they realized people were self referring shut it down. Why claw back the points? It seems petty. Amex created a “flawed” system and people ran with it. Honestly I find it a bit tacky.

If I left an entire bucket of candy on my doorstep on Halloween and the first kid who came by took the whole bucket; I see that as my fault. The kid saw an opportunity and took it. Lesson learned on my part. But should I chase him down and claw back the candy? Maybe, maybe not.

Said by someone who has yet to receive her first Amex card. 😉

Forgive me if this has already been discussed ad nauseam, but the whole Amex Rat thing boggles my mind. I don’t understand how they can justify clawing back points (self referrals) and now credits for what appear to be flaws in their own system. I understand the referrals were not intended for self referrals, but in my opinion they f’d up when they created a system that let those things slip through. They should have accepted responsibility for the error in their system, and as soon as they realized people were self referring shut it down. Why claw back the points? It seems petty. Amex created a “flawed” system and people ran with it. Honestly I find it a bit tacky.

If I left an entire bucket of candy on my doorstep on Halloween and the first kid who came by took the whole bucket; I see that as my fault. The kid saw an opportunity and took it. Lesson learned on my part. But should I chase him down and claw back the candy? Maybe, maybe not.

Meet your mistress. Not only is she high maintenance, she’s bat sh*t crazy when she thinks you’re cheating her.

LOL your candy analogy. The Dell credit would be like if you handed out 2 candy bars when you only meant to give one and then chased the kid down to claw it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter