I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are going to rent a car at Orlando airport for a Feb WDW trip. There are five of us staying in an Airbnb about 2 miles from the parks. It’s been a while since we rented a car there. Are all the car rental sites offsite? Capital one has a pretty good deal on their booking website. $304 for a five passenger Nissan rouge but the company is called Nu and I’ve never heard of them before. Anyone use them? The good thing is I can use my $300 capital one travel credit by using my venture X card to pay for the rental car. So far since applying in December, that gives me my $300 travel credit, my $200 Airbnb credit which I’ve already used and a $100 global entry for my daughter to use. Still have 100,000 points coming when I meet the SUB. This card may not be a good fit for everyone but I’m sure enjoying the extra offers! 😍

Can some of you fine folks answer some questions about the Personal AMEX Plat? I got an offer for 25k MR for 2k spend to upgrade along with 10x groceries and gas for the next six months. If I take the upgrade from my Gold to Plat, what are the differences between the AU Plat that costs $175 and the AU Gold that costs nothing? Would my wife be able to use the lounges on her own? Is there a second GE credit for a Plat AU? Clear? And can I use the DL SkyClub if I'm not travelling on DL that day? I have a trip scheduled in a couple weeks from MKE on SW, the only AMEX Plat lounge there is the SkyClub.

The article that PP linked is very good--if your DD holds the Plat AU then she can access CL lounges and Skyclub when flying DL but Delta is VERY clear that Skyclub is only for DL flights so for your trip next week on SW would be a no go.

This is a very good offer (10x on groceries is awesome) if you've already had a platinum card-if not, then I'd get a plat card with a bigger SUB (well, I'd actually get a plat with a great SUB then try to upgrade my gold but I really really love MRs 😝 ).

We are going to rent a car at Orlando airport for a Feb WDW trip. There are five of us staying in an Airbnb about 2 miles from the parks. It’s been a while since we rented a car there. Are all the car rental sites offsite? Capital one has a pretty good deal on their booking website. $304 for a five passenger Nissan rouge but the company is called Nu and I’ve never heard of them before. Anyone use them? The good thing is I can use my $300 capital one travel credit by using my venture X card to pay for the rental car. So far since applying in December, that gives me my $300 travel credit, my $200 Airbnb credit which I’ve already used and a $100 global entry for my daughter to use. Still have 100,000 points coming when I meet the SUB. This card may not be a good fit for everyone but I’m sure enjoying the extra offers! 😍
Not all car rental companies are offsite….
I remember seeing National, Avis, Budget, Alamo, Enterprise….I’m sure there are others as well….we always rent through the Costco website

I have been burned by the offsite agencies before. Now, we only rent through the big names with counters in MCO. Prices have been ridiculous the past year but UCT still offers 50% off when you buy any tickets. So, we have quite a collection of their $6 popcorn/drink tickets and get very reasonable rates without resorting to nu, ez, Payless, fox, sixt or any of the others with terrifyingly low reviews.

I have been burned by the offsite agencies before. Now, we only rent through the big names with counters in MCO. Prices have been ridiculous the past year but UCT still offers 50% off when you buy any tickets. So, we have quite a collection of their $6 popcorn/drink tickets and get very reasonable rates without resorting to nu, ez, Payless, fox, sixt or any of the others with terrifyingly low reviews.
Thanks for the feedback! There are other rental car agencies through the capital one site that I can book through so I’ll have another look. I have till December to use the $300 travel credit. We get discounted military tickets and this will be a very relaxed trip. More time hanging out at the Airbnb with DGS and cheering our DD and DS on who are running the 5K 10K and half marathon.

Thankfully dd made it back to Atlanta this morning. SW has been canceling a lot of their morning nonstops between RIC and ATL. Glad to be sitting on a lot of URs if I'd needed to buy her a ticket on Delta but thankfully that wasn't needed.

And just checked my upcoming SW tickets and can save about 25k rr points by rebooking so I'm waiting for them to call me back.

Rookie dumb question. To book travel thru the chase portal, do I have to have enough points to cover that or can I pay with that card?

Rookie dumb question. To book travel thru the chase portal, do I have to have enough points to cover that or can I pay with that card?
you can book through them the rest in cash but I wouldn't if I could help it. it's hard to cancel/reschedule. unless you are trying to burn that 50$ credit with the CSP.

Keep in mind that if you haven’t had the plat before, taking the upgrade offer locks you out of the SUB in the future.
This is one of my two hesitations. I have not had a Plat before, but don't know that I would ever apply for one outright. The other being the time frame between when the 10x ends and when I can PC back to the Gold for my 4x on groceries. I think I will discuss with the wife, but am leaning against taking the offer. We are hoping to add a mortgage between April 15th and the end of the summer. Then the true churning and SUB chasing will begin.
There are 10 car rental companies that have their vehicles onsite. Hertz, Avis, National, Alamo, Thrifty, Dollar, Budget, Enterprise, Payless and Sixt. The first 8 are generally considered the "majors" of rental cars. Sixt is a German brand that has been in the US for ten years with a pretty good reputation. Payless is the only one of those I would avoid. NU has been around for a while, they are kind of like Frontier or Spirit, when things go well they are fine, when things go bad you'll wish you paid more somewhere else. I've got a rental at MCO in two weeks with Thrifty for $156 for a week. With them I can skip the counter and the vehicle is onsite. I was offered a vehicle for as low as $76 for a week if I was wiling to go with a lesser company offsite.

you can book through them the rest in cash but I wouldn't if I could help it. it's hard to cancel/reschedule. unless you are trying to burn that 50$ credit with the CSP.
I was looking more for the 5x points for booking travel.

arent the points only worth 1.25x?
yeah, I've booked by transferring for a lot better but I guess if you are in a pinch. I tried twice to move reservations made on there it was such a headache for me that I don't think I wanna go through it again unless someone has a secret method on here that I'm not aware of.

There are 10 car rental companies that have their vehicles onsite. Hertz, Avis, National, Alamo, Thrifty, Dollar, Budget, Enterprise, Payless and Sixt. The first 8 are generally considered the "majors" of rental cars. Sixt is a German brand that has been in the US for ten years with a pretty good reputation. Payless is the only one of those I would avoid. NU has been around for a while, they are kind of like Frontier or Spirit, when things go well they are fine, when things go bad you'll wish you paid more somewhere else. I've got a rental at MCO in two weeks with Thrifty for $156 for a week. With them I can skip the counter and the vehicle is onsite. I was offered a vehicle for as low as $76 for a week if I was wiling to go with a lesser company offsite.
That’s a great price for a rental! Did you book thru a third party or directly with the rental company? Also, did you recently book or book months ago? My trip is 6 weeks away.

That’s a great price for a rental! Did you book thru a third party or directly with the rental company? Also, did you recently book or book months ago? My trip is 6 weeks away.
I use www.autoslash.com to find the best prices, it books through Priceline but give the rental company confirmation number so you can manage the reservation there. When I first booked this trip in October I was at $464 for the week, but Autoslash kept finding lower prices. The $156 price I actually just booked this morning.

arent the points only worth 1.25x?
yeah, I've booked by transferring for a lot better but I guess if you are in a pinch. I tried twice to move reservations made on there it was such a headache for me that I don't think I wanna go through it again unless someone has a secret method on here that I'm not aware of.
I think @dez1978 was referring to the 5x points earned for cash booking travel with CSP through the UR portal.

I tried to find this answer but couldn’t so apologies if it’s already answered elsewhere (and apologies if this isn’t the place to ask).

Does anyone know if Tours / Experiences purchased at Disney count as travel for the Chase Sapphire cards?

I purchased dessert party and Wild Africa tours (separately) for an upcoming trip and used by Disney Premier Visa, thinking that like tickets these wouldn’t count as travel.

Well, they posted to my account, and in the details it says:
This leads me to believe it might actually count as travel. (Which will make me cry a little that I didn’t use my Sapphire Reserve). Can anyone confirm? While I have no plans to book additional tours this trip, it’ll be good to know for the future!

Has anyone bought a large amount of Disney gift cards through Staples.com? I purchased $1800 worth on Jan. 5. They were pending on my CIC since then. Today the pending charge dropped off and the amount is back to being available in my credit. Nothing from Staples about the ordering being cancelled. Still in lending status on their link.

It did give a longer time estimate to process. Will they just ship and go on the card or should I start thinking of other ways to meet my MSR.(Jan. 22)

Has anyone bought a large amount of Disney gift cards through Staples.com? I purchased $1800 worth on Jan. 5. They were pending on my CIC since then. Today the pending charge dropped off and the amount is back to being available in my credit. Nothing from Staples about the ordering being cancelled. Still in lending status on their link.

It did give a longer time estimate to process. Will they just ship and go on the card or should I start thinking of other ways to meet my MSR.(Jan. 22)
I’ve had that happen with smaller gc amounts at Staples. They eventually shipped but with how close you might be I’d have a backup plan ready to implement if you don’t get a shipment notification a week before MSR hits.

The 5x sounds nice but in some cases it isn’t worth it.

If it’s a hotel you want compare booking direct. Often I found that to be cheaper, especially if the offer discounts.

If you’re booking airfare I’d rather book direct with the airline. If you need to change stuff that way you can go straight to the airline instead of having to go through Chase.

I think it’s normal for chase Biz cards to drop transactions for a couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter