I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We flew from Philadelphia to Halifax with a layover in Toronto a few months ago. Return trip was Halifax - Montreal - Philadelphia. We cleared customs in Toronto very quickly and did not need to retrieve any bags; however, I believe the customs agent does reserve the right to ask you to collect bags. On the return trip since your first leg is within Canada, you'll clear US customs in Montreal. We had a one hour layover in Montreal and only made our flight from Montreal to Philadelphia because that flight was delayed. Even with strategically selecting seats at the front of the plane from Halifax to Montreal, customs took quite a while to go through in Montreal. Although you don't need to grab your bags, they won't allow you to enter the line to pass customs until all of your bags are accounted for. I wouldn't be comfortable with a layover of anything less than 1.5 to 2 hours if we were doing this trip again. I would suspect it's the same in Toronto for a return trip.
Thanks for the details. My layover is almost 2 hours in Toronto. I might just see if anything else looks better.

How do they account for your bags if you don’t grab them? I guess my real question is how do you know you can enter the line?

Aren't there flights on United/Delta/American? I know the weather problem is affecting everyone, but when you're flying with the little guys I'd think your limiting your options of actually getting there.
When my Mom lived in FL, she insisted on flying nothing but Allegiant. Which is fine when things are going fine but when they cancel the flight they don't give you any options. A few times I ended up using my AA miles to get her on a flight. I refrained from saying "I told you so" but a thank you would have been nice. :confused3

Aren't there flights on United/Delta/American? I know the weather problem is affecting everyone, but when you're flying with the little guys I'd think you’re limiting your options of actually getting there.
There is nothing direct with other airlines. That’s why we always fly frontier/allegiant. I’m not willing to deal with layovers with a toddler and bad weather

2014 - CHASE Sapphire Preferred
2014 - CHASE United Explorer (downgraded to free version)
2014 - CHASE Freedom
2014 - CHASE Marriott (closed)
2015 - AMEX SPG (closed)
2015 - CITI Hilton (closed)
2015 - AMEX Hilton
2015 - AMEX Platinum (closed)
2016 - AMEX Everyday
2016 - AMEX Gold (closed)
2016 - CHASE Hyatt
2016 - CHASE IHG (closed)
2017 - CITI AA
2017 - BARCLAY AA (closed)
2017 - BOA Premium Rewards
2017 - CITI Premier
2017 - AMEX Delta

As you can see, I've been out of the game for a while. I've held on to most of these cards because I like the perks that I get with them. Specifically, for the airlines, free checked bag and priority boarding.

I am specifically looking for suggestions on how to get more AA miles. I am planning to fly AA to Disney World in April 2024, and would like to use miles.

In the past, I have transferred points to BA to book a direct AA flight to Hawaii. However I find availability difficult to find and the points needed for a non-direct flight high.

None of the other cards I have can transfer points to AA (Chase, Citi, AMEX).

I know I could use a travel portal to book flights with credit card points. However I prefer to book direct because of problems in the past with cancelled/changed flights.

I have a number of trips in the coming months booked with AA, so I am not wanting to cancel that card and reapply for fear of losing the perks.

Besides just putting all my spend on my Citi AA card, how can I get more AA points?

Thanks for the details. My layover is almost 2 hours in Toronto. I might just see if anything else looks better.

How do they account for your bags if you don’t grab them? I guess my real question is how do you know you can enter the line?
Montreal all had monitors that indicated if your bags had arrived and fortunately all of our travel party's bags made it. Not sure what would have happened if they hadn't!

2014 - CHASE Freedom
2015 - AMEX SPG (closed)
2015 - AMEX Hilton
2016 - AMEX Everyday
2016 - CHASE Hyatt
2017 - CITI AA
2017 - CITI Premier
2017 - AMEX Delta

As you can see, I've been out of the game for a while. I've held on to most of these cards because I like the perks that I get with them. Specifically, for the airlines, free checked bag and priority boarding.

I am specifically looking for suggestions on how to get more AA miles. I am planning to fly AA to Disney World in April 2024, and would like to use miles.

In the past, I have transferred points to BA to book a direct AA flight to Hawaii. However I find availability difficult to find and the points needed for a non-direct flight high.

I know I could use a travel portal to book flights with credit card points. However I prefer to book direct because of problems in the past with cancelled/changed flights.

I have a number of trips in the coming months booked with AA, so I am not wanting to cancel that card and reapply for fear of losing the perks.

Besides just putting all my spend on my Citi AA card, how can I get more AA points?
If you are willing to get business cards you can get the Barclays AA business and you can also get a new Barclay AA. I think both of those are at 80,000 miles right now.

2014 - CHASE Freedom
2015 - AMEX SPG (closed)
2015 - AMEX Hilton
2016 - AMEX Everyday
2016 - CHASE Hyatt
2017 - CITI AA
2017 - CITI Premier
2017 - AMEX Delta

Not AA points but how about a Capital One Venture or Venture X. That way you don’t have to use the portal to book your fights but you can erase the charges with your points.

Allegiant is so considerate 🙄 How nice of them to JUST NOW email us that they rescheduled us for tomorrow during peak winds. Dh is on hold again trying to complain. This is absolutely insane. We messaged them last night that we had already switched to a different airline and wanted it canceled

If you are willing to get business cards you can get the Barclays AA business and you can also get a new Barclay AA. I think both of those are at 80,000 miles right now.
I think I can only get the Barclay AA bonus once? (Any bonus associated with this offer may only be earned once. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program.)

Have you had luck getting approved for their business card using just your social security number on the application?

I think I can only get the Barclay AA bonus once? (Any bonus associated with this offer may only be earned once. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program.)

Have you had luck getting approved for their business card using just your social security number on the application?

You can app as a sole prop. Did it over the summer. If you already have a barclays acct it should add itself to it and you can add the card to google pay, prob apple, before you get the card.

Allegiant is so considerate 🙄 How nice of them to JUST NOW email us that they rescheduled us for tomorrow during peak winds. Dh is on hold again trying to complain. This is absolutely insane. We messaged them last night that we had already switched to a different airline and wanted it canceled
That was my experience when my mom had issues with them. It's like they have one person to run all of their communications.

Did you book it directly through the chase website? Since we chose allegiant we had to call chase and they had to book it for us. I’m not sure if that changes anything or not
Yes. I booked online directly through the chase travel portal.

You can definitely get the Barclays bonuses more than once. I’ve had 2 Aviator Red bonuses since 2019. I was also told by a Barclays rep I would be eligible for another Aviator Biz card 2yrs after cancellation.

Chase couldn’t get ahold of allegiant and we’ve been unable to also. Dh sat on hold for over 3 hours tonight with no answer and hung up
Sorry to hear you’ve had such a terrible time trying to get to IA. I’m currently sitting at my home airport for a delayed SW flight. Weather here is TERRIBLE, but we are still scheduled to depart at our new time (already talked to our pilot and they aren’t timing out thank goodness). I’m missing my connection but was able to get a hotel at BWI and rebook for tomorrow. My first rebooked flight for tomorrow already cancelled. Luckily I was checking my SW app constantly because I caught it right after it cancelled. I was able to quickly get it rebooked again here at the gate. If that cancels, I’m going to have to figure out how to take Amtrak for the first time ever, or borrow a car from my friend in Baltimore and drive to CT. As bad as all that sounds, I still feel very lucky that I still have options without being stranded in an airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter