I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

This site is the worst for ads, I have two blockers enabled to view this and just assumed one of them messed it up. Looks like they messed up the layout, The recent threads that is generally to the right is now the last thing on the page at the very bottom.
Yes- only certain threads tho. It's all crammed into one side of my screen.

Dd texted me a while ago and said she doesn't think she wants to travel at the end of April. Primary reason is her bf would like to spend some time here before he heads to CA (he graduates this spring). Depending on what job she takes and when it starts, she may go to CA (Mill Valley) with him for a few weeks. I am going to try calling Ashford Castle and seeing if they will refund my booking (made with URs); if not I bought CFAR insurance, but it only covers 75 or 80% of the cost. Flights and London and Dublin hotels I can cancel without penalty.

I got to thinking, since I'm not traveling at the end of April, why not go to Europe for an extra few days in early April (I was scheduled to fly to FRA, then on to Amsterdam on April 10th). Since I booked a cash fare and used a SWU to get into biz class, I had to find a flight that had a seat open on a SWU. Found the same flight on April 5th, so called AA, the amazing CSR confirmed the SWU, then cancelled the April 10th flight, booked me on April 5th, then applied the SWU.

Decided that I will take the train from FRA to Brussels (3 hours) on April 6th, spend 3 nights in Brussels (definitely taking a day trip to Bruges), then take the high speed train to Amsterdam on the 9th. Since the trip is over Easter weekend I'm hoping that most restaurants / shops / museums will be open on Easter Sunday and Monday. Looking forward to my trip!

I was just reading this TPG post about repositioning cruises, which are just 1, sometimes, 2 nights and can be cheaper than train travel. Intended for two travelers, but I thought it was an interesting concept I would have never thought to add into my travel plans. Made me think of you, since you amaze me with how flexible you are with shaking up your travel plans. You make it look easy!

I know that several on here use AirBnBs; there was a very tragic story out of Old Montreal (a gorgeous area of the city) on the weekend. I guess it serves as a reminder to let people at home know the addresses and dates of places that you'll be staying while away (I always give my itinerary to my sister and keep in touch with her every day). And to purchase travel insurance before you leave.

I'm hoping someone can help me with Celebrity cruises. Specifically the Amex offer.
I want to use it but don't know which cruise yet. So I was going to book a cruise as far
out as possible( late 2024 or 2025) with refundable option. Then later when I know I
can for sure go move cruise to new date.

Called Celebrity just now and they said NO I will get refunded back to my card. And
then make new booking. Huh?? That means Amex will prob claw back the points. Any ideas?
We already have travel plans this year and spring 2024. Anyone familiar with Celebrity
policies? I would hate to pass on this offer for the points. Bummed:(

I'm hoping someone can help me with Celebrity cruises. Specifically the Amex offer.
I want to use it but don't know which cruise yet. So I was going to book a cruise as far
out as possible( late 2024 or 2025) with refundable option. Then later when I know I

Called Celebrity just now and they said NO I will get refunded back to my card. And
then make new booking. Huh?? That means Amex will prob claw back the points. Any ideas?
We already have travel plans this year and spring 2024. Anyone familiar with Celebrity
We used all of our Amex Offers with Celebrity for a future cruise. We fully intend on changing the date and itinerary. I believe my TA booked a cruise that was fully refundable and we should be able to switch things up as long as it’s 90+ days prior. That’s in theory and we will see what happens when the time comes. I couldn’t pass it up either and it netted us 180k MR points across the cards we had AOs on for this.

We're staying at dolphin for the first time, using amex plat $200 hotel credit + $100 resort credit (and hoping the Marriott $200 credit will also trigger).

• How do I make sure my Marriott account is linked to my reservation since I booked through amex? (It's linked on my Amex account already)
  • Do I need to ask for the room upgrade benefit or will it just be a luck or the draw when we check in?
  • Any other tips to maximize benefits?

We used all of our Amex Offers with Celebrity for a future cruise. We fully intend on changing the date and itinerary. I believe my TA booked a cruise that was fully refundable and we should be able to switch things up as long as it’s 90+ days prior. That’s in theory and we will see what happens when the time comes. I couldn’t pass it up either and it netted us 180k MR points across the cards we had AOs on for this.
That is another thing I was wondering. If you
book with a site other than Celebrity (costco vacations2go etc) will it still code directly with Celebrity?

We're staying at dolphin for the first time, using amex plat $200 hotel credit + $100 resort credit (and hoping the Marriott $200 credit will also trigger).

• How do I make sure my Marriott account is linked to my reservation since I booked through amex? (It's linked on my Amex account already)
  • Do I need to ask for the room upgrade benefit or will it just be a luck or the draw when we check in?
  • Any other tips to maximize benefits?

There's a place to enter your loyalty number when you make the reservation online. I'm not sure if you can add it after the fact yourself. Probably they can add it if you call.

What $200 Marriott credit is this?

book with a site other than Celebrity (costco vacations2go etc) will it still code directly with Celebrity?

I tried to move a deposit for an NCL cruise before and my TA said he couldn't do it. I'm not sure if he really couldn't or didn't want to. The original cruise was booked with a different TA at the same company. No idea if that would affect his commission somehow.

I feel like there's no harm in trying it though, other than floating your money. It's not a definite that Amex will claw back if it's way down the line, though you should assume they will and just be happily surprised if they never do.

In general, booking through a travel agency the payment will still be directly with Celebrity. Exception would be some sort of group rate where the agency has fronted some money, then some/part of the payment would be to them. Ran into this once unexpectedly.

If you have an Amex Platinum card, you can get extra OBC with the Cruise Privileges Program. You do not have to go through Amex Travel to use it, just need to find a participating TA.

I tried to move a deposit for an NCL cruise before and my TA said he couldn't do it. I'm not sure if he really couldn't or didn't want to. The original cruise was booked with a different TA at the same company. No idea if that would affect his commission somehow.

I feel like there's no harm in trying it though, other than floating your money. It's not a definite that Amex will claw back if it's way down the line, though you should assume they will and just be happily surprised if they never do.

In general, booking through a travel agency the payment will still be directly with Celebrity. Exception would be some sort of group rate where the agency has fronted some money, then some/part of the payment would be to them. Ran into this once unexpectedly.

If you have an Amex Platinum card, you can get extra OBC with the Cruise Privileges Program. You do not have to go through Amex Travel to use it, just need to find a participating TA.
I completely forgot about this program. Any idea where to find names of TA's that participate.
I always thought you had to book through Amex to get the benefit (and seems the prices are higher).

Also I have a new Platinum but they put the cruise offer on my green card! I feel like they did that on
purpose. lol

*Edit just read on cruise critic forum might be more high end travel agencies have CCP agreements.

Last edited:
Logged into my WF CC account and had a notice about the new $525 savings account offer. Our Chase savings money for that bonus will be available to withdraw mid-April, and the WF money needs to be in the account 30 days after it is opened, and only kept until 90 days from opening date. Saw this definition of new money -

New money is money that is new to the customer or new to Wells Fargo (deposited into the customer's new savings account directly from outside of Wells Fargo and Company and all affiliates, or from a Wells Fargo account not owned by the customer).

If the bonus offer lasts until the June 27 expiration, it looks like theoretically I could open an account in early April and make the deposit, then DH could open an account in June and I could transfer the money to him by mid-July. We have a lot of expenses coming up this summer so not sure I can tie up that much cash, but it is interesting to think about. Not as great a deal since the money would be in a low-interest WF savings account as opposed to a higher rate, but still a significant bonus.

There's a place to enter your loyalty number when you make the reservation online. I'm not sure if you can add it after the fact yourself. Probably they can add it if you call.
Got it! Had to call since my Amex reservation confirmation was different than Marriotts.
What $200 Marriott credit is this?
It's separate (we're doing a split stay between a rental and the dolphin)

I completely forgot about this program. Any idea where to find names of TA's that participate.
I always thought you had to book through Amex to get the benefit (and seems the prices are higher).

Also I have a new Platinum but they put the cruise offer on my green card! I feel like they did that on
purpose. lol

*Edit just read on cruise critic forum might be more high end travel agencies have CCP agreements.

I always use Cruise Compete to get quotes and see who has the best prices. I've gotten quotes before where the TA mentioned they participate in CPP. There's also a comment field when you do the quote request and you can ask (though they may not address it). Or you can narrow down a couple agencies and ask them directly. That's how I found the one I used.

Moab is pretty small - will you have a car? We stayed at an Airbnb a little past the downtown but it was very easy to drive to Arches. We booked all our park reservations for early morning and found that worked great in the summer as by noon we would leave the park and go have lunch and the early morning entrance meant we didn't wait in line at the entrance. Once in the park, we never felt crowded - its huge!! I booked Fiery Furnace and that was a big hit (my youngest and I didn't do it). Arches was amazing, every part of it from the colors to the arches to hikes. Our Utah trip was one of those trips that just blew our expectations through the roof since coming from such a naturally different environment, everything was unexpected and a surprise.

Thanks for the advice. Right now all we have is a room for 2 nights (desperate attempt to not waste two FNCs), so we'd need to get air and a rental car. I can't make it a longer trip sadly, because DH is already taking off a lot of time this year for other trips we have planned. So I guess I need to figure out if it's worth a really quick visit. Early morning hikes sound like the smart thing to do!

Yikes. I'm looking at a couple of 2024 cruises with the idea that I can switch if I need to. I'm not ready to commit to one today (looking at ones in Europe and other places abroad).

It's too good to pass up (and we don't even have 180k points in our offers sadly), but I really do need some flexibility here. Hmmm.

It does. I knew that a good friend of mine was already booked for a Celebrity cruise this summer, so I called her and told her about the offer. She was able to have her TA put $1k on two Amex cards that had the offer, and today she let me know that she did earn the 70k in points as they posted into her account. So it definitely should work through a TA.

Last edited:

I book with my TA who books directly with Celebrity. I didn’t go through the T&Cs on this one though so I’m not entirely certain.

Ok, Newbie question here, I admit it...

I was looking at Amex just now, since y'all were mentioning it... the link I saw listed plat annual fee as $695 and green annual fee as $250...

Since I don't have an Amex, just how good are these deals y'all are talking about if it is worth those annual fees? (Or did you get them waived somehow or....? )

I am researching a Euro/mediterranean cruise for our family of four sometime in summer 2025, so I'd love to know more about this...

Ok, Newbie question here, I admit it...

I was looking at Amex just now, since y'all were mentioning it... the link I saw listed plat annual fee as $695 and green annual fee as $250...

Since I don't have an Amex, just how good are these deals y'all are talking about if it is worth those annual fees? (Or did you get them waived somehow or....? )

I am researching a Euro/mediterranean cruise for our family of four sometime in summer 2025, so I'd love to know more about this...

The Amex Green is actually $150 (it's the Gold that is $250). There are ways of earning back the money that some of these cards costs, so IMHO I think they are worth it, especially when you can find a good sign up bonus. My family has all 3 of those Amex cards and we are flying to Europe (in lie flat business class seats) using the points we have earned on our Amex cards.

I think it's hard to say which is best because it depends on your spending and what it is you're looking to do with your points.

As for getting the AF waived, it's often possible the second year, but not the first unless it's in the offer you're looking at (and that's pretty rare).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter