I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Good Morning All!

I'm looking into the Discover It Cash Back Credit Card to try and maximize the 5% earnings per quarter on the spending categories. All I can see on the website is that it's 5% cash back on restaurants & wholesale clubs this quarter. I'm just wondering what the other quarters might possibly be, or what they have been in the past. If gas or grocery stores ever come up in a quarter, it might be worth me applying for the new card.

Thanks in advance for all the advice/help!
There's no way to know advance categories until they announce it. So Q3 and Q4 are unknown still. Q1 of this year was Grocery Stores, Drug Stores, and Streaming Services. Gas seems to come up once a year. I think usually Q3 or Q4 has been Target or Walmart or Amazon, or some combination thereof, at least for the past few years that I've had the card.

Good Morning All!

I'm looking into the Discover It Cash Back Credit Card to try and maximize the 5% earnings per quarter on the spending categories. All I can see on the website is that it's 5% cash back on restaurants & wholesale clubs this quarter. I'm just wondering what the other quarters might possibly be, or what they have been in the past. If gas or grocery stores ever come up in a quarter, it might be worth me applying for the new card.

If you're specifically looking for gas and grocery, have you looked at the Citi custom cash card? It's 5% on your top eligible category each statement and both gas and grocery are eligible. So, if you open one and only use it for gas (or only grocery) then it's always a 5% card in that category.

There's no way to know advance categories until they announce it. So Q3 and Q4 are unknown still. Q1 of this year was Grocery Stores, Drug Stores, and Streaming Services. Gas seems to come up once a year. I think usually Q3 or Q4 has been Target or Walmart or Amazon, or some combination thereof, at least for the past few years that I've had the card.
Thanks for this! I had a feeling you didn't know the categories in advance but I just wondered if grocery stores or gas stations were ever added as a category!

If you're specifically looking for gas and grocery, have you looked at the Citi custom cash card? It's 5% on your top eligible category each statement and both gas and grocery are eligible. So, if you open one and only use it for gas (or only grocery) then it's always a 5% card in that category.
Thanks for the info! I haven't looked into the Citi Custom Cash Card yet but I will! I don't want to have a wallet full of different credit cards for every different thing but I'd love to be able to maximize earnings on my most used categories. Thanks again for the help :)

Are we crazy for thinking about planning a trip to Ireland/Scotland for this August/September lol? We have enough URs to fly with aer lingus out of Boston to Dublin. Thinking about doing maybe 10 days there
Why not? I would totally take advantage of being able to travel in the shoulder season before your kid grows up. I wish we would have traveled more internationally more when our girls younger.

Why not? I would totally take advantage of being able to travel in the shoulder season before your kid grows up. I wish we would have traveled more internationally more when our girls younger.
We can’t decide if we should stick with just Ireland or try to do Scotland as well. I’m sure we’ll be back so we wouldn’t have to squeeze both in

We can’t decide if we should stick with just Ireland or try to do Scotland as well. I’m sure we’ll be back so we wouldn’t have to squeeze both in
It really depends on your family pace, for us we would squeeze both in because I know our girls can handle 10 days as long as we get an easy day in the middle. We did 7 busy days in Paris, but I know I can’t do 10.
For Japan we are doing 7 busy days, rest then 7 busy days.

It really depends on your family pace, for us we would squeeze both in because I know our girls can handle 10 days as long as we get an easy day in the middle. We did 7 busy days in Paris, but I know I can’t do 10.
For Japan we are doing 7 busy days, rest then 7 busy days.
I’m thinking we may stick just to Ireland so we can slow down and enjoy it. We will probably spend time at playgrounds and walking around. He hasn’t stayed anywhere for a week besides with family so this will be new for him. He’s also never done an overnight flight or dealt with jet lag.

For those of you that have done Ireland, could we get by without renting a car and take trains around the country instead?

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who talked about and recommended Costa Rica! We absolutely LOVE it here! I feel like this is our first churning enabled trip. All our points are usually used to offset costs to visit family and shorter weekend getaways. My personal pics don't do the place justice, but I highly, highly recommend Tabacon Hot Springs resort. It's so beautiful and the hot springs are amazing. We saw lots of wildlife on property. Kind of sad to be leaving today as we head to the beach for the rest of our time here.

Anyone else's $300 Cap One Venture X Credit take a while to post. I booked a hotel on the Cap One Site on 3/15. Credit still has not posted, nor show as being used. Is this normal??

Thank you to everyone who talked about and recommended Costa Rica! We absolutely LOVE it here! I feel like this is our first churning enabled trip. All our points are usually used to offset costs to visit family and shorter weekend getaways. My personal pics don't do the place justice, but I highly, highly recommend Tabacon Hot Springs resort. It's so beautiful and the hot springs are amazing. We saw lots of wildlife on property. Kind of sad to be leaving today as we head to the beach for the rest of our time here.
Were you able to book 2 queen rooms? I've checked different dates and only the king room is available using points.

Since Michigan lost last week, it was off to Vegas I went, LOL. The BF got a trip that had us arriving Friday night around 11pm and heading back the next night around 11pm. The flight down was wide open, 50 open seats, so I had a row to myself. The flight home had 11 open seats at 4pm. By the time we left for the airport it was down to -2 AND the flight was delayed. Both these factors screwed me royally. The flight was now not gonna push the gate till nearly midnight. And the extra time meant no one would likely miss the flight. When we got to the gate the agent told him it really didn't look good. I know this is always a risk of non-rev. I stood right next to the agent watching the open seats get down to 0! I asked her if I was getting on, and she said no. I called my BF and started to cry. He felt like crap that I was going to get stuck. He told me he'd buy me the $400 5am ticket on Delta home. The other reason I was crying is it was midnight, and I would be locked out of getting a room via Hilton employee rates for "that night". Had it been earlier, it would have sucked, but there was a DoubleTree close enough w/ a shuttle I would have booked for $50. And once I thought about having to go through TSA again in the morning (for some reason LAS TSA Precheck is always closed).....I basically decided I would be sleeping in the airport :( There were 3 girls waiting to get on. One got a seat, I was still on the phone w/ my BF. The gate agent called her up to give her the seat. She went back to her friends and they were trying to figure out what to do. The agent told her, you've got to decide now, are you getting on? If not, I'm giving her the ticket (pointing to me). I told my BF, "HOLD ON!!! I MIGHT BE GETTING ON! " The agent was annoyed (there was a whole issue w/ someone trying to carry on a hula hoop going on too). She said "F this". Took her ticket, ripped it up, printed mine and on I went. At this point tears of JOY! And to boot, it was a big front seat! I walked on, put my suitcase on the flight deck. Told my BF and the FO that I've never been so grateful for a *****y gate agent, LOL.
I still don't have my Ceasar's match and now I know it's been over 2 weeks. So I just applied again. I'll wait a few more days and then tweet again.

Personally I'm hoping it's all the Ichigan fans dumping tickets tomorrow along with BC. 1st intermission and Minnesota's up 2-1. I've seen enough Ichigan-Minnesota games this year.
The prices were making me cry during the game! It was kinda a relief when we lost. I would have felt like crap if I had to back out because of the cost! Instead, VEGAS BABY, LOL. I just hate that Michigan is the youngest team, and they are all bolting for the NHL. UGH.

My older son (18) was unable to get approved for a student credit card since he dropped out of school last fall. On the advice of this thread, he applied at our credit union where he has his own account and he was approved for his very own credit card! It's got a VERY low credit limit but he is super proud that he got it... they told him his credit score was right around 750, which I am sure is due to the fact that he's been an authorized user on my longest-open card (Chase Freedom).

So I just wanted to thank you all for all the advice and tips on getting my kid on his way to a good credit score.

Now for the 16 year old!
My daughter was 775! I think come summer we'll have her apply for her first real card. We'll see. I need to teach her more about finances now!

Good Morning All!

See if you can find a "link". I think there's a $100 offer out there. At least I feel like that's the email I got recently ;)

Are we crazy for thinking about planning a trip to Ireland/Scotland for this August/September lol? We have enough URs to fly with aer lingus out of Boston to Dublin. Thinking about doing maybe 10 days there
Well other than Ireland being cursed this year for everyone lately, LOL. I'm jealous! I think the flight for 2024 opens up in 7 days to book. Crazy to think I'm about to book it all over again, LOL. But I'm more excited at the route we'll do. It's CLE to DUB. It's later, longer and lands later. So I feel like it'll be easier to do what we want!

Anyone else's $300 Cap One Venture X Credit take a while to post. I booked a hotel on the Cap One Site on 3/15. Credit still has not posted, nor show as being used. Is this normal??
I booked a car on 2/17 and by 3/9 it had not credited. I booked a hotel on March 16th and it credited on March 20

Since Michigan lost last week, it was off to Vegas I went, LOL. The BF got a trip that had us arriving Friday night around 11pm and heading back the next night around 11pm. The flight down was wide open, 50 open seats, so I had a row to myself. The flight home had 11 open seats at 4pm. By the time we left for the airport it was down to -2 AND the flight was delayed. Both these factors screwed me royally. The flight was now not gonna push the gate till nearly midnight. And the extra time meant no one would likely miss the flight. When we got to the gate the agent told him it really didn't look good. I know this is always a risk of non-rev. I stood right next to the agent watching the open seats get down to 0! I asked her if I was getting on, and she said no. I called my BF and started to cry. He felt like crap that I was going to get stuck. He told me he'd buy me the $400 5am ticket on Delta home. The other reason I was crying is it was midnight, and I would be locked out of getting a room via Hilton employee rates for "that night". Had it been earlier, it would have sucked, but there was a DoubleTree close enough w/ a shuttle I would have booked for $50. And once I thought about having to go through TSA again in the morning (for some reason LAS TSA Precheck is always closed).....I basically decided I would be sleeping in the airport :( There were 3 girls waiting to get on. One got a seat, I was still on the phone w/ my BF. The gate agent called her up to give her the seat. She went back to her friends and they were trying to figure out what to do. The agent told her, you've got to decide now, are you getting on? If not, I'm giving her the ticket (pointing to me). I told my BF, "HOLD ON!!! I MIGHT BE GETTING ON! " The agent was annoyed (there was a whole issue w/ someone trying to carry on a hula hoop going on too). She said "F this". Took her ticket, ripped it up, printed mine and on I went. At this point tears of JOY! And to boot, it was a big front seat! I walked on, put my suitcase on the flight deck. Told my BF and the FO that I've never been so grateful for a *****y gate agent, LOL.
I still don't have my Ceasar's match and now I know it's been over 2 weeks. So I just applied again. I'll wait a few more days and then tweet again.

The prices were making me cry during the game! It was kinda a relief when we lost. I would have felt like crap if I had to back out because of the cost! Instead, VEGAS BABY, LOL. I just hate that Michigan is the youngest team, and they are all bolting for the NHL. UGH.

My daughter was 775! I think come summer we'll have her apply for her first real card. We'll see. I need to teach her more about finances now!

See if you can find a "link". I think there's a $100 offer out there. At least I feel like that's the email I got recently ;)

Well other than Ireland being cursed this year for everyone lately, LOL. I'm jealous! I think the flight for 2024 opens up in 7 days to book. Crazy to think I'm about to book it all over again, LOL. But I'm more excited at the route we'll do. It's CLE to DUB. It's later, longer and lands later. So I feel like it'll be easier to do what we want!
Thanks so much for this! I found a referral link online so I used it to appy and get the $100 offer :)

These forums, and everybody on them, are so helpful! Love being part of a community that looks out for each other and tries to save people money. Thanks again!

I just hate that Michigan is the youngest team, and they are all bolting for the NHL. UGH.
Minnesota was right behind them, I think the average age of MN was 1 month older than MI. Same seeing so many of them in the NHL when the season ended Saturday. Faber had a good start with the Wild, Knies looked pretty good with the Leafs last night.

Planning a Disney World trip in spring 2024... our girls have Good Friday off and the following Monday, thinking about going Friday 4/5-4/9 (park days) how crazy busy is it? Other option would be the first full week in May (which will probably be less busy except for they would miss 5 days of school versus the 2 if we go in April.
We went for 4 or 5 years the first week of May when the girls were in elementary school (a long, long time ago!). The weather was great and the crowds were lower. We would plan to go after the statewide testing and the teachers didn't usually ask them to do alot of work since they were wrapping up the year. We loved going at that time, but I would think it would depend on your kids and whether they are good with missing that much school.

ETA: Lots of schools will have spring break the first week of April (i.e. Georgia) and that coincides with Easter next year.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter