I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Hi, the first page asks that I introduce myself and ask questions before I pull the trigger on a new charge card.
My husband and I need to get a new credit card. I have probably 10 shares or more of Disney stock and I also have Disney+. We charge anywhere from $2000 to $5000 a month and pay off the balance in cash each month.

My daughter is 24 and it’s her last 18 months in school. I just found out that 12/99 UPromise had been hacked that I was using. This might be a good time for me to make a clean break. I’ve never pulled out any money from the education program that I was involved in but I have over $25,000 so I really should do that.

I wanted to have a new card that works with Disney so that I could use it for DCL primarily and an occasional Disney hotel stay if needed.

I had been thinking about getting the Disney credit card for years. I believe it would be in my best interest as I could use the money for Disney if they still do that. I just needed to wait until my daughter graduated so I no longer have the use for future education money.

The first post in this thread recommended that I ask for warnings and recommendations according to the type of consumer, I am.

Please tap reply, so I don’t miss your comment thank you in advance for your help and advice.

I’ve considered airline cards but for health reasons we have to pick non-stop flights from ORD and MKE. Cheapest airline wins we use 3-4 no loyalty just short direct flights.

Last edited:
I have a question about the waiting periods to receive bonuses. In 2021 DW receive a SW personal card. The bonus was 50k points for $2k spend in 3 months and an additional 30k points for $10k spend in 12 months. Based on the detail I have for the card she hit the 50k bonus on 05/17/21 and the additional 30k bonus on 07/19/21. Does she need to wait until 05/17/21 when the initial bonus was earned, 7/19/23 when the last bonus was earned, or the date that her statement with the final bonus closed?

Has anyone taken the sea plane from Key West to Dry Tortugas? We're going to be in KW in January (first time) and I'd love to go. The sea plane is $397/person which is steep but much faster than taking the ferry to/from. I keep going back and forth about if we "need" to do that. It's unlikely we'd burn a whole day going via ferry...I think it's 2.5 hours each way.

I wonder if the sea plane would code as "travel" so I could use Cap1 points to offset, lol.
I can’t help with advice on the seaplane, but we did take the ferry to the Dry Tortugas in February. It does take the whole day, so if you are there for a limited number of days I would skip it. I’m sure the scenery on the flight would be beautiful. If you have any questions about the National Park, I’d be happy to help.

I have a question about the waiting periods to receive bonuses. In 2021 DW receive a SW personal card. The bonus was 50k points for $2k spend in 3 months and an additional 30k points for $10k spend in 12 months. Based on the detail I have for the card she hit the 50k bonus on 05/17/21 and the additional 30k bonus on 07/19/21. Does she need to wait until 05/17/21 when the initial bonus was earned, 7/19/23 when the last bonus was earned, or the date that her statement with the final bonus closed?

I believe it's when the final bonus posted at statement close.

Ok I'll need to contact Southwest and see if they can give us her 2021 Rapid Reward detail so I can see when the points posted.

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I would think the close date of the statement that shows the last bonus was earned would be sufficient. Not necessarily when the points made its way over to Southwest (usually a couple days later).

Last edited:
Sorry I wasn't very clear. I would think the close date of the statement that shows the last bonus was earned would be sufficient. Not necessarily when the points made its way over to Southwest (usually a couple days later).
I was going to use the Southwest date since it should be close to the actual statement date. I don't know the statement date since the card was closed last year I can no longer see the detail online. I sent an SM to Chase to ask for the detail of the bonus but they want the full card number to look it up and I don't see it in my records.

Hi, the first page asks that I introduce myself and ask questions before I pull the trigger on a new charge card.
My husband and I need to get a new credit card. I have probably 10 shares or more of Disney stock and I also have Disney+. We charge anywhere from $2000 to $5000 a month and pay off the balance in cash each month.

My daughter is 24 and it’s her last 18 months in school. I just found out that 12/99 UPromise had been hacked that I was using. This might be a good time for me to make a clean break. I’ve never pulled out any money from the education program that I was involved in but I have over $25,000 so I really should do that.

I wanted to have a new card that works with Disney so that I could use it for DCL primarily and an occasional Disney hotel stay if needed.

I had been thinking about getting the Disney credit card for years. I believe it would be in my best interest as I could use the money for Disney if they still do that. I just needed to wait until my daughter graduated so I no longer have the use for future education money.

The first post in this thread recommended that I ask for warnings and recommendations according to the type of consumer, I am.

Please tap reply, so I don’t miss your comment thank you in advance for your help and advice.

I’ve considered airline cards but for health reasons we have to pick non-stop flights from ORD and MKE. Cheapest airline wins we use 3-4 no loyalty just short direct flights.
Welcome to the thread! It sounds like you are responsible with paying in full each month, so getting the most out of your credit card spend is a good goal.

I'm not a fan of the Disney card although once upon a time over 10 years ago I had one. It's just not a worthwhile card to have IMO since you can earn so much more with other cards. As an example, the Chase Sapphire Preferred currently has a 90,000 pt sign up bonus for $4000/3mo + $2000/6mo spend. You would need to go into a Chase bank to open it as that SUB right now is an in-branch offer only. If all you do is redeem those points as statement credits (not what I do, but that's the simplest route) that's worth at least $845 right off the top. That's $940 from the SUB + $4K spend, subtracting out the $95 annual fee. The card earns 3x on dining/streaming/online grocery, 2x points for travel and 1x everywhere else, comes with primary car rental insurance, decent travel protections, and allows you to transfer those points to select hotel and airline partners where you could redeem for more than $.01 per pt. Plus it has other benefits that help offset the annual fee. If you have excellent credit, that's the first card I would go for since it has the highest SUB going these days.

As for the perks that come with the Disney card, a lot of those (not all) come with a Chase checking account debit card that's free and doesn't show on your personal credit report. All you do is pick a Disney design for the debit card and it includes some of those perks. Google Chase Disney debit card to find out more details if you're interested. Chase also often runs bank bonuses so that's something you'd want to look for too.

That's a good balance in your 529 plan (I'm assuming that's what it is with your Upromise account). Now's a good time to start using the balance to pay for school since it won't affect your FAFSA due to the two year look back period. Although, with the SECURE Act 2.0 passed last year allowing excess 529 funds to be rolled over to a Roth IRA (lots of limitations accompany that and they're easily found doing an internet search) that's another option for the money too.

Last edited:
@LynnTH You recently posted about some erroneous charges. I had two recent stays at Marriott hotels (different hotels) using FNCs. Both hotels accidentally charged me rather than Marriott for the FNC reimbursement. One never even showed that charge on the folio. I have had to call both hotels and they each explained that's what happened and wait to be reimbursed.

With so many cards, it's hard to watch everything! I too feel like I need to pay closer attention.

We took two week long trips in 3 weeks so I'll have some trip reports to share. But, we just got back from Grand Cayman and we got caught up in the Fort Lauderdale disaster. Our flight from Grand Cayman was scheduled to stop in FLL with a nearly 4 hour layover, then continue to Chicago. We took off uneventfully from Grand Cayman then nearly landed in FLL but then began circling the airport like 4-5 times, for over an hour, until we finally had to divert because we were out of fuel.

Diverted to Orlando where we were explicitly told we wouldn't be able to get off because it was an international flight and we were not going to an international gate, we were just landing to be fueled and then were to head back to FLL. This cabin crew was something else "Don't even look for a flight out of Orlando, you are NOT gonna be allowed to get off," one of the FAs says over the intercom. Well of course we land and the pilots time out... and lo and behold, they are somehow magically allowed to get off the plane and clear internationally. Then we wait on the plane for new pilots. All this while I hadn't fed my kids since breakfast because I knew I had that darn four hour layover and I'd planned to feed them multiple times during that long layover and I didn't think I needed copious snacks for an hour flight. Well, big lesson learned there. So then finally they come on and say that the tower in FLL has no power so the airport is closed indefinitely. So then we deplane in MCO with basically zero information on how to rebook. Self service options online weren't working. That's where all the cc annual fee perks started kicking in:

1. Had used an reimbursed EBCI which allowed us to sit near the front of the plane, which meant we would be able to get to an agent quicker than others at the back of the plane
  2. Global Entry for the whole fam whisked us past the mobs of people trying to clear
  3. We only travel with carry-on baggage, so no waiting for baggage to unload
  4. I ran to the Southwest check in counter while DH got the kids food. Initially waited in the wrong line and then had to go wait in another line at the actual "help desk." Was able to get rebooked to our local airport rather than Chicago, which is further for us. But got C53-56 boarding positions. Paid for upgraded boardings and got A1-3. I had the right SW cc on me which reimburses for upgraded boardings and even had the card marked- it helped being prepared.
All in all, though, it was really stressful. My sister's fam was traveling with us and they didn't have any of those perks and waited in line for hours and there were hoards of people behind them. This really should have been something that could have been easily achieved online through self service.

While I recognize that this was weather related, then airport system failure (due to weather), I feel communication and assistance was really poor from SW. If I wasn't an experienced traveler or even knew to upgrade my boarding position, after a terribly stressful travel day, we would have been totally separated from our kids, one of who was already in tears from the stress. EBCI glitched on one leg, before the whole diversion, etc (I think @CyndiLouWho reported on this as well) DH and I each had EBCI and I got A boarding and he got B60, while my sister didn't have EBCI and got early B boarding. So a total glitch! Then, when we got rebooked to our local airport and got stuck with C53-56, an hour later my sister (luckily) got rebooked on the same flight and they were given B boarding positions. I just can't explain how any of this worked with Southwest.

In the end, we did get home and actually about the same time as we would have otherwise, just with a lot of stress. Anyone have experience with SW issuing LUV vouchers when it's weather related?

ETA: I just reread this and it sounds so whiny. I have so, so much to be grateful for and I don't mean to come off that way. Just stressful and stressful for my kiddos.
Also agree that you don’t sound whiny at all! We are in Jamaica right now and flying through FLL tomorrow on our way to RDU. Hoping everything will go smoothly by then, but yesterday I was looking for alternative flights home and thinking how lucky I was to have points and thus more options than the average person. Glad you made it home safely!

I am going to second @platamama 's suggestion that you go in branch at Chase and apply for a Chase Sapphire Preferred for their 90k offer. Chase Ultimate Rewards are a nice easy currency to work with- you can cash out the points for a statement credit or redeem on their travel portal or transfer to airline and hotel partners, like Southwest and Hyatt.

I too fly out of MKE, ORD and MDW, and am fond of using Southwest points because I can rebook flights if the price drops and it just refunds the points to my rapid rewards account.

While it's easy to charge DCL and Disney stays to the CSP (and earn points for doing so), it's a bit trickier redeeming the points at Disney hotels or for Disney tickets because Chase blocks Disney from their travel portal. But you can do the easy thing and redeem your points for a statement credit, then take that credit and use it for whatever you wanna purchase.

You don't list any new CCs in the past two years, so we'll assume you don't have any new ones?

Feel free to ask any additional questions!

I'm thinking that the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select for myself that will put me at 4/24 until March 2024, but it seems like a good offer
75,000 miles, MSR of $3,500 AF waived the first year.

Anyone recently apply for a Citi AA personal card? Anything I should worry about?
Thinking of this card as well and it will make me 4/24 but it is a great offer. Any idea of when it will end? Trying to time with current MSR and other desired cards.

Bonjour! Made it to Paris yesterday. I know I’ve said before how much I love train travel in Europe, but it’s worth saying again. I love train travel in Europe; even though we had a 45min delay at the Rotterdam station (fire warning in tunnel ahead), I still love it!

Unfortunately for me I arrived in Paris to the last day of a 12 day transit strike and the line that I needed was only running every 30 minutes. I left the station to grab a taxi, but the traffic was insane, so the driver pointed me to another subway station, I walked a few blocks and I hopped on. That line brought me within a 5 min walk to my hotel, the amazing Dress Code Hotel.

I love this hotel. It is small (33 rooms), but the location is AMAZING. I had called ahead and asked for a quiet room with a closet (not all rooms have closets — they are ‘compact’) and I got exactly what I requested. A SUPER quiet room with a closet. It is not big, but I’m not in the room from 9am to 9pm, all I need is a clean room with a comfortable bed and is the bed ever comfortable! I paid 1 night cash and used URs for the remaining 3 nights. Paid for a rate with breakfast included and very glad that I did. This morning they had freshly cut orange slices, cereals with milk, delicious yogurt, a chafing dish with bacon, omelette, french pancakes and sausages. They also had toast with a selection of fine jams and of course, several French pastries (YUM!) Back to the location — it is only 2 blocks from the Ritz and 3 or so blocks to the Park Hyatt Vendôme, and 8 mins from Galleries Lafayette and le Printemps. There are 2 subway stations (different lines) within a 5 min walk. According to the website my room is 170 sq feet, but it honestly feels bigger. I am SO glad that I found this little gem and wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again.

I went to Caffe dei Fratelli on @djmeredith recommendation and it was delicious! It’s a very cute restaurant; service was excellent and location perfect. Price was more than reasonable too. I tried going to Bouillon Republic for lunch and the line was insane, so left and went to a small cafe instead.

The weather has been terrible pretty much my entire trip (maybe 3 days of sun thus far), however I am still having a blast. Enroute I was worried that I didn’t have any warm weather clothes; as it turns out I needed more cool weather clothes. I had to buy a l/s t-shirt at a vintage shop (8Euros) and it has made a huge difference.

I’ll leave you with a few flower pics from Keukenhof Gardens (SO glad that I went — the tulips were in bloom and fabulous!).

AF5473A7-C617-42B0-8066-2542CF2667A1.jpeg

9816FA3A-E1CD-417F-93F5-8E810B4EFC8B.jpeg

52464CEA-E46F-4968-9715-49BA338FA37B.jpeg7FA4AB97-7748-42B4-A0C6-67BE206BBD48.jpeg

Last edited:
I should add that I read that Le Comptoir (the takeout counter at the Ritz) was amazing, so I went there before dinner and purchased a pastry for dessert. OMGosh it’s insanely delicious. I also purchased a raspberry Madeleine and YUM. I am going to head there Monday morning before my train to Frankfurt and get a sandwich for the train. Of course I may be back before Monday….

Tomorrow I have a food tour of the Marais, which starts at 10:30am. I don’t typically eat a lot in the mornings, so this might be a struggle for me. Maybe I can start a ‘doggie’ bag for lunch.

I spent today wandering the Marais and WOW. The shopping is unbelievable. I wish that I wasn’t carry-on only. Actually I am not sure how I’ll get home with my purchases. I will probably have to ship a box to myself from Frankfurt.

Bonjour! Made it to Paris yesterday. I know I’ve said before how much I love train travel in Europe, but it’s worth saying again. I love train travel in Europe; even though we had a 45min delay at the Rotterdam station (fire warning in tunnel ahead), I still love it!

Unfortunately for me I arrived in Paris to the last day of a 12 day transit strike and the line that I needed was only running every 30 minutes. I left the station to grab a taxi, but the traffic was insane, so the driver pointed me to another subway station, I walked a few blocks and I hopped on. That line brought me within a 5 min walk to my hotel, the amazing Dress Code Hotel.

I love this hotel. It is small (33 rooms), but the location is AMAZING. I had called ahead and asked for a quiet room with a closet (not all rooms have closets — they are ‘compact’) and I got exactly what I requested. A SUPER quiet room with a closet. It is not big, but I’m not in the room from 9am to 9pm, all I need is a clean room with a comfortable bed and is the bed ever comfortable! I paid 1 night cash and used URs for the remaining 3 nights. Paid for a rate with breakfast included and very glad that I did. This morning they had freshly cut orange slices, cereals with milk, delicious yogurt, a chafing dish with bacon, omelette, french pancakes and sausages. They also had toast with a selection of fine jams and of course, several French pastries (YUM!) Back to the location — it is only 2 blocks from the Ritz and 3 or so blocks to the Park Hyatt Vendôme, and 8 mins from Galleries Lafayette and le Printemps. There are 2 subway stations (different lines) within a 5 min walk. According to the website my room is 170 sq feet, but it honestly feels bigger. I am SO glad that I found this little gem and wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again.

I went to Caffe die Fratelli on @djmeredith recommendation and it was delicious! It’s a very cute restaurant; service was excellent and location perfect. Price was more than reasonable too. I tried going to Bojillion Republic for lunch and the line was insane, so left and went to a small cafe instead.

The weather has been terrible pretty much my entire trip (maybe 3 days of sun thus far), however I am still having a blast. Enroute I was worried that I didn’t have any warm weather clothes; as it turns out I needed more cool weather clothes. I had to buy a l/s t-shirt at a vintage shop (8Euros) and it has made a huge difference.

I’ll leave you with a few flower pics from Keukenhof Gardens (SO glad that I went — the tulips were in bloom and fabulous!).

View attachment 753240

View attachment 753241

View attachment 753242View attachment 753243
I'm going to miss the tulips by 2 weeks. So glad you liked the restaurant!

@LynnTH You recently posted about some erroneous charges. I had two recent stays at Marriott hotels (different hotels) using FNCs. Both hotels accidentally charged me rather than Marriott for the FNC reimbursement. One never even showed that charge on the folio. I have had to call both hotels and they each explained that's what happened and wait to be reimbursed.

With so many cards, it's hard to watch everything! I too feel like I need to pay closer attention.
I called Chase and started a claim, then I called the Hotel. They said it was credited back on 4/7. Funny how the charge is there on 4/7 but not the credit. Could be it has not come through yet. So, I keep checking... Claim is started just in case.

We took two week long trips in 3 weeks so I'll have some trip reports to share. But, we just got back from Grand Cayman and we got caught up in the Fort Lauderdale disaster. Our flight from Grand Cayman was scheduled to stop in FLL with a nearly 4 hour layover, then continue to Chicago. We took off uneventfully from Grand Cayman then nearly landed in FLL but then began circling the airport like 4-5 times, for over an hour, until we finally had to divert because we were out of fuel.

Diverted to Orlando where we were explicitly told we wouldn't be able to get off because it was an international flight and we were not going to an international gate, we were just landing to be fueled and then were to head back to FLL. This cabin crew was something else "Don't even look for a flight out of Orlando, you are NOT gonna be allowed to get off," one of the FAs says over the intercom. Well of course we land and the pilots time out... and lo and behold, they are somehow magically allowed to get off the plane and clear internationally. Then we wait on the plane for new pilots. All this while I hadn't fed my kids since breakfast because I knew I had that darn four hour layover and I'd planned to feed them multiple times during that long layover and I didn't think I needed copious snacks for an hour flight. Well, big lesson learned there. So then finally they come on and say that the tower in FLL has no power so the airport is closed indefinitely. So then we deplane in MCO with basically zero information on how to rebook. Self service options online weren't working. That's where all the cc annual fee perks started kicking in:

1. Had used an reimbursed EBCI which allowed us to sit near the front of the plane, which meant we would be able to get to an agent quicker than others at the back of the plane
  2. Global Entry for the whole fam whisked us past the mobs of people trying to clear
  4. I ran to the Southwest check in counter while DH got the kids food. Initially waited in the wrong line and then had to go wait in another line at the actual "help desk." Was able to get rebooked to our local airport rather than Chicago, which is further for us. But got C53-56 boarding positions. Paid for upgraded boardings and got A1-3. I had the right SW cc on me which reimburses for upgraded boardings and even had the card marked- it helped being prepared.
All in all, though, it was really stressful. My sister's fam was traveling with us and they didn't have any of those perks and waited in line for hours and there were hoards of people behind them. This really should have been something that could have been easily achieved online through self service.

While I recognize that this was weather related, then airport system failure (due to weather), I feel communication and assistance was really poor from SW. If I wasn't an experienced traveler or even knew to upgrade my boarding position, after a terribly stressful travel day, we would have been totally separated from our kids, one of who was already in tears from the stress. EBCI glitched on one leg, before the whole diversion, etc (I think @CyndiLouWho reported on this as well) DH and I each had EBCI and I got A boarding and he got B60, while my sister didn't have EBCI and got early B boarding. So a total glitch! Then, when we got rebooked to our local airport and got stuck with C53-56, an hour later my sister (luckily) got rebooked on the same flight and they were given B boarding positions. I just can't explain how any of this worked with Southwest.

In the end, we did get home and actually about the same time as we would have otherwise, just with a lot of stress. Anyone have experience with SW issuing LUV vouchers when it's weather related?

ETA: I just reread this and it sounds so whiny. I have so, so much to be grateful for and I don't mean to come off that way. Just stressful and stressful for my kiddos.
Doesn't seem whiny to me but makes me glad for the travel hacking we do. I'm not sure I would have thought as quickly as you did but still glad to have some perks. I did cancel all my SW cards earlier this year so I don't have the reimbursement for upgraded boarding. That said, our Costa Rica flights had none available. I was very grateful for Global Entry and Precheck when we went thru customs and reboarded to Chicago. We were literally the only ones in the GE area and DS looked over at the customs line and went "whoa, glad we're not in that line." It took us less than 15 minutes through customs and back through security. Also happy we were carryon only though I was second guessing as I was cramming everything back in the suitcases for the flight home.

Just reporting back that SW proactively reached out and issued $250 LUV vouchers each, so $1000 total. I think this is more than generous and overall, when things go wrong, I tend to think SW often makes good will gestures. In turn, we do keep flying them.

PS, thanks everyone for the kind words.

Just wanted to take a moment to express my gratitude for those of you who still contribute to this thread. Thanks to all of the valuable information you share here I can do crazy things, like fly my family of 4 to WDW for a 3 day trip from AZ. That’s what my DD requested as her 8th grade graduation gift. Without the knowledge I’ve gained here over the past 4 years I would never be able to afford to just fly to WDW for a few days because my DD asked. This thread has the best group of people on the Disboards. I appreciate you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter