I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Do you want to stop at DLR on the way? The Grand Californian is awesome with a private entrance into California Adventure. Nothing like that at WDW.

There are lots of flights to HNL from the LA area on SW (as well as other airlines). Another airline to get to LA would be better though as I see there are no nonstop flights from Memphis on SW. I like to use this list to figure out where SW flies nonstop. Link
I’d actually love to go to DL as we’ve never been. DH and I were just talking about that the other day.

Thanks. I see all the flights from the LA area you mentioned. The only nonstop I see from MEM is to PHX (and only on Sunday’s) that also has a nonstop to HNL though. We have a toddler grandson so the less time on the plane is better for us. He’s not a great flier so far. I think his ears bother him and he has a whole screaming fit the last 30 min of every flight he’s been on so far. Hopefully since he will be another year when we go to Aulani, he will do better. But then if my daughter comes and brings her son, he will only be a year old so it could be the same for him. I’m also thinking about the seats on the plane… which airlines have the most comfortable seats for such a long flight?

which airlines have the most comfortable seats for such a long flight?
I’ve flown to Maui from Phoenix on SWA, AA, and Hawaiian. Now we all know everyone has different opinions, but for me and my 48yr old body, SWA is hands down the WORST. I’m a big SWA fan for anything 4hrs and under, but those seats were horrible after 6hrs. I’m sure there are many who would disagree, but for my family we won’t fly SW to Hawaii ever again, which is unfortunate because they do have some deals out of PHX.

AA is maybe better comfort wise, but not much. They are our go to if Hawaiin is too many points.

Hawaiian is hands down our preferred carrier. Comfortable seats, and they still serve food. Outstanding inflight service.

Honestly though flying economy that far, it is what it is. I’m always grateful just to be traveling. Fortunately the credit card hobby has given me the privilege of being choosy with my flights. Whatever airline will get you there conveniently and inexpensively is the best choice.

Last edited:
I’m looking at the different view options, and I just want some kind of ocean view. I’m okay with a partial view and I saw where a lot of people only paid for an island garden view, but still had a great ocean view. I just know for sure I don’t want to be looking at a parking garage or something terrible. Which view did you use your points for?

FWIW, I love Aulani and we are also DVC. Since we usually book 1 bedrooms, we also have a kitchen and washer / dryer in unit, so it's the same comfort as an airbnb plus all the resort experience and amenities. Our last trip we booked an island garden view and this is our view. My DD loved watching the luau (for free) from our balcony! :) I'm low on points this year, so we've booked a standard view and I hope she's not disappointed!20210808_070745.jpg

Feeling a little sentimental about the old Club Carlson card and great perks from years ago. It was my favorite sock drawer card and I loved letting the 40k a year anniversary points pile up. Today, I managed to wipe out a good portion of those incredibly devalued Radisson Rewards points. I booked two nights in Athens, Greece at the Radisson Blu Park Hotel for next year. Blew through nearly 240k points. I can remember a time when 250k RR points would have gotten me 10 nights back when the second night was free if you held their credit card. As much as I am an opportunistic hoarder, there's much to be said for earn and burn.

I’d actually love to go to DL as we’ve never been. DH and I were just talking about that the other day.

Thanks. I see all the flights from the LA area you mentioned. The only nonstop I see from MEM is to PHX (and only on Sunday’s) that also has a nonstop to HNL though. We have a toddler grandson so the less time on the plane is better for us. He’s not a great flier so far. I think his ears bother him and he has a whole screaming fit the last 30 min of every flight he’s been on so far. Hopefully since he will be another year when we go to Aulani, he will do better. But then if my daughter comes and brings her son, he will only be a year old so it could be the same for him. I’m also thinking about the seats on the plane… which airlines have the most comfortable seats for such a long flight?
We did Aulani this past December. We flew to LAX and took Hawaiian Airlines from there. On the way back we took Southwest. I agree with the previous statement that on Southwest it was too long a flight. The way there was amazing, as I was able to score first class on Hawaiian for the same amount of points as economy. Would do that again in a heartbeat!
We rented points at Aulani and had the same 1 bedroom view of the luau as posted above. Most expensive room we've ever stayed in, but it was worth it. Especially since everything else on the trip was covered by points. My 8 year old wants to go back ASAP and I'm in agreement. We did a ton on that trip and we'd all like to just hang out and enjoy the resort more next time.

For those of you that booked JAL through AA, how did you book your seats? We did a test booking just now and it says to call AA to book seats or we will be assigned seats when we get to the airport.

I’m looking at the different view options, and I just want some kind of ocean view. I’m okay with a partial view and I saw where a lot of people only paid for an island garden view, but still had a great ocean view. I just know for sure I don’t want to be looking at a parking garage or something terrible. Which view did you use your points for?

We booked island garden view and it was really nice. No ocean views but views of the mountains. I wanted to avoid standard view so we wouldn't get the parking garage view. We were so busy enjoying the resort or exploring the island that we weren't in the room that much so it worked for us. And we went in September and it was perfect. We alternated one resort day with a sightsee day and so on so we got to enjoy both the resort and see some of Hawaii.

Happy Mother's Day to those out there who celebrate!

Can I get a logic check here? My mom is not in the game, nor does she want to be in the game. She values simplicity and doesn't understand that being in the game won't hurt your credit score. Annnywayyyyy...

She currently puts her expenses on the SaverOne (mostly groceries and dining out, so it makes sense). But she was talking about getting the Wawa gas credit card b/c you save 5 cents/gallon (ew, no!) I told her to hold off while I did some research.

I'm thinking of suggesting the Citi Custom Cash card. 5% on top category spend and no annual fee (which is important to her). For reference, she's retired, on a decent fixed income, and her score is in the low 800s, so I'm not worried about approval.

Does this seem like solid logic? Or does anyone have better suggestions? TIA!

For those that have been to Tokyo Disney, how did you plan your days? I’m thinking of buying the TDR Explorer guide, has anyone bought it? Is it worth it?
We will be there 3 days, I’m thinking Sea, Disney, Sea… I was originally only going to do 2 park days but I think we want to take it slow and enjoy Sea a second day. Any recommendations for planning?

We are thinking about going to Aulani next September and I’m trying to get a budget in mind using this September’s prices as a starting point. As of now it’s me, DH, DS, his girlfriend and my grandson. My daughter isn’t on board right now, but will prolly change her mind when the time comes. Then she has an infant also that may or may not go.
We fly SWA from Memphis normally, but there’s no flight options. So I’m assuming we will have to fly from Memphis to another airport, then from that airport to HNL, but how do we know what’s the best option? Or would a different airline completely be better? We are clueless of how to go about planning this trip and I am feeling overwhelmed.
We plan on using DVC points, but it’s pretty high per night so my son thinks I should save my points and rent somewhere else with cash like an AirBNB. I bought DVC to not have to spend cash is what I am trying to explain to him. I understand his logic being that we can go longer if we pay cash and I can use my points at WDW later on, but I really only plan on going 5 nights no matter how we pay and Aulani has been on my list of places to stay for many years. I just need any kind of help or advice anyone has!

When I need to position for a flight, I tend to find which airport has the best availability for options, unless I am looking for a specific aircraft or using specific miles. SW does fly from MEM to HNL but there's two stops along the way with one plane change. This may or may not be worth doing depending on your situation and options.

I thought booking Aulani with DVC points would be a one and done for me. I was wrong, but that's neither here nor there LOL When we first booked, I really wanted to experience Aulani at least once. With that in mind, and considering how much I love a good view, I booked the ocean view. I am glad I did and will always recommend that if it is at all possible to get the view and the vacation you dream of, exactly the way you picture it in your mind, then go for it. If you don't HAVE to make a concession, then don't. Splurge on the points, call it a Mother's Day gift to yourself, or whatever, but if you have the points available, then don't take a chance on having regrets with what you wind up with when it is too late.

I also agree with your logic about using the DVC points. We have those so we can take trips and not pay additional cash. That said, I've been known to rent them out to fund a trip here and there, so there is that option.

For those that have been to Tokyo Disney, how did you plan your days? I’m thinking of buying the TDR Explorer guide, has anyone bought it? Is it worth it?
We will be there 3 days, I’m thinking Sea, Disney, Sea… I was originally only going to do 2 park days but I think we want to take it slow and enjoy Sea a second day. Any recommendations for planning?
YouTube videos and blogs helped when we went the first time. Also browsing the "Other Lands" forums here on the DIS.

I have the version from before it was updated. For the price I feel like it’s decent. But all the information seems to be available online if you’d rather spend time than money digging around if that makes sense.

Happy Mother's Day to those out there who celebrate!

Can I get a logic check here? My mom is not in the game, nor does she want to be in the game. She values simplicity and doesn't understand that being in the game won't hurt your credit score. Annnywayyyyy...

She currently puts her expenses on the SaverOne (mostly groceries and dining out, so it makes sense). But she was talking about getting the Wawa gas credit card b/c you save 5 cents/gallon (ew, no!) I told her to hold off while I did some research.

I'm thinking of suggesting the Citi Custom Cash card. 5% on top category spend and no annual fee (which is important to her). For reference, she's retired, on a decent fixed income, and her score is in the low 800s, so I'm not worried about approval.

Does this seem like solid logic? Or does anyone have better suggestions? TIA!

Hmmm, I'd be interested to compare that to a straight 2% card, like the Wells Fargo.

Is her top category high enough that 5% there plus 1% everywhere else is better than 2% all day? Depends on how weighted her top category is versus the rest. For instance, if her top category is $200 in spend out of $1000 a month, that would be $18 a month in rewards on the Citi Custom but $20 on a 2% card.

If she has one category that represents 25% or more of her spending, Custom Cash. If there's nothing that stands out that high, 2% card.

That's, of course, assuming she wants to be a one card in wallet person, which I'd assume based on her valuing simplicity. If you could convince her on 2 cards, then I'd pick her top category and tell her the Citi Custom is her grocery/gas/dining card, whatever makes sense, and then a 2% card for everything else.

You can do it via chat or just on the JAL website, they’ll give you a JAL confirmation code.
Okay awesome thanks! I wish we could see it ahead of time to know if there are seats together. I’m a little nervous about the JAL seats because they’re more isolated and ds will only be 4

We watched a lot of YouTube videos and used Tom Bricker’s blog (Disney tourist blog). I’m not sure if he has an updated guide though. I used all of his guides for different Japanese cities also. I like TDR explorer but I’ve never bought his guide. He has a YouTube channel. We did 2 days for Sea, 1 for Disneyland, and the fourth day was a mixture of the two. I think DisneySea requires two days to really take it all in and enjoy it. Part of the fun for me was walking around and soaking it all in and snacking lol

For those of you that booked JAL through AA, how did you book your seats? We did a test booking just now and it says to call AA to book seats or we will be assigned seats when we get to the airport.

I was able to see the JAL record locator on AA, online as well as the e-mailed confirmation. Then just used that to book seats on the JAL website.

I’m a little nervous about the JAL seats because they’re more isolated and ds will only be 4

When we booked, all the window seats were blocked. Those seats are more staggered, maybe you won't see him as well, but it might be easier to get to him. But it might be a moot point if you can't get the window seat anyways.

We had middle seats and could see each other easily, but to get over to the other seat, I'd have to go all the way around. If you do the middle seats, you might want to do one parent next to and the other behind your DS.

Okay awesome thanks! I wish we could see it ahead of time to know if there are seats together. I’m a little nervous about the JAL seats because they’re more isolated and ds will only be 4
We are flying JAL J there and back, but they are different planes. On the way there LAX-KIX we are flying on the 789 configuration is 1-2-1, we are only allowed to book middle seats, they reserve window seats for paying customers.

On the way back HND-DFW we are on the 777 configuration is 2-3-2, this was booked via BA and were able to select the window seats when they changed the aircraft.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter