I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Checked in at the 24 hour mark today on SWA. Got C14. Immediately tried to upgrade boarding position. None available!!! How does that happen. 😩
That's why I only buy Anytime fares now, so I am pretty much guaranteed an A position. It costs more, but not so much more that it's worth risking getting a C position. I think the days of buying WGA on release day and having an A position is about gone. And then with all the Pre-Boards, even having an A position is sometimes frustrating because they'll allow tons of them on first. Either way, you can't win!

Ugh…I’m guessing others with earlier flights who were able to check in before your flight…keep checking for the upgraded boarding someone could cancel closer to the flight time and you can then grab it
Randomly checked about 30 minutes ago and got A7 for myself. Tried for DH and it still says no upgrade positions available. Will keep trying!

That's why I only buy Anytime fares now, so I am pretty much guaranteed an A position. It costs more, but not so much more that it's worth risking getting a C position. I think the days of buying WGA on release day and having an A position is about gone. And then with all the Pre-Boards, even having an A position is sometimes frustrating because they'll allow tons of them on first. Either way, you can't win!
Wow, haven't had this experience, but I don't fly out of a major airport. Out of RDU we pretty frequently get A positions checking in 24 hrs ahead on the dot. At worst we get B 1-30. But then I normally upgrade to A 1-15 anyway and just hold DH a seat since I know he won't be far behind. It's just the two of us flying so maybe that makes a difference. Using a CP for DH.

Wow, haven't had this experience, but I don't fly out of a major airport. Out of RDU we pretty frequently get A positions checking in 24 hrs ahead on the dot. At worst we get B 1-30. But then I normally upgrade to A 1-15 anyway and just hold DH a seat since I know he won't be far behind. It's just the two of us flying so maybe that makes a difference. Using a CP for DH.
I haven't had that experience either flying out of DCA. I am usually on a 6 AM flight, and get a decent A group number at 24 hours. Flying home from MCO in the evening hasn't been bad for me either.

Woo-hoo! I was just checking one of my throwaway email accounts, and I won a $200 Amazon GC from AARP! I do their point earning activities to participate in their gift card auctions and drawings, it's free so why not? I occasionally get a $10 Target or CVS GC, never expected to win a bigger sweepstakes. The email came 5 days ago, I use a junk email for the account because most of it is spammy. Glad I checked!

With regard to SW boarding groups I’ve become increasingly frustrated with getting B50-60 or C group at T-24. It’s come to the point where I feel compelled to buy EBCI for my own peace of mind. Which adds significantly for 4 people on our “free flights.” I no longer consider SW the inexpensive option. It’s unfortunate and seems to be happening more often to people on here. Even with EBCI on our last flight there were 40 people who boarded during family boarding. Yes, 40!! I counted, because it was an absurd amount of people. Yes, it was a flight to Orlando so tons of kids. We had boarding positions B 4-7 and sat in the 2nd to the last row. After watching the masses board in family boarding we were just grateful we had seats together. Also just their prices in general have been outrageous. I’m honestly finding better fares on American lately, and I get an assigned seat. Sorry small rant here.

With regard to SW boarding groups I’ve become increasingly frustrated with getting B50-60 or C group at T-24. It’s come to the point where I feel compelled to buy EBCI for my own peace of mind. Which adds significantly for 4 people on our “free flights.” I no longer consider SW the inexpensive option. It’s unfortunate and seems to be happening more often to people on here. Even with EBCI on our last flight there were 40 people who boarded during family boarding. Yes, 40!! I counted, because it was an absurd amount of people. Yes, it was a flight to Orlando so tons of kids. We had boarding positions B 4-7 and sat in the 2nd to the last row. After watching the masses board in family boarding we were just grateful we had seats together. Also just their prices in general have been outrageous. I’m honestly finding better fares on American lately, and I get an assigned seat. Sorry small rant here.
Yikes on that boarding experience.

On the rising fares, I've noticed that too. We used to fly SW more and got a lot more out of our CPs. Now it's become mostly for flights to South FL to visit our parents or to WDW, since those flights are short from NC and direct. And still pretty affordable most of the time, often $80-$100 or the points equivalent. This is where we still get value out of the CP and SW RR points, but it certainly used to be better to other places. I remember we once flew to Long Beach (to go to Disneyland) for about $130 in flight credits... plus $5.60 for the companion! Deals like that made it hard to look at other airlines for domestic flights even if they did fly direct from our airport. But since I do love direct flights and SW is getting pricier, we've been flying Delta a lot lately, and American to a lesser extent.

Woo-hoo! I was just checking one of my throwaway email accounts, and I won a $200 Amazon GC from AARP! I do their point earning activities to participate in their gift card auctions and drawings, it's free so why not? I occasionally get a $10 Target or CVS GC, never expected to win a bigger sweepstakes. The email came 5 days ago, I use a junk email for the account because most of it is spammy. Glad I checked!
Congrats! I always just save my points and use them for gift cards when they pop up. Maybe I should try the other options, but I don't know if I can bring my frugal brain to do it. 😁

Congrats! I always just save my points and use them for gift cards when they pop up. Maybe I should try the other options, but I don't know if I can bring my frugal brain to do it. 😁
Thanks. As it has gotten harder to snag the popular gift cards I have taken to entering a few select sweeps daily - ones for cash and higher value gift cards, there’s a $500 Delta one I have been doing this month along with a $300 Amazon one. I am sitting on 100,000 pts, they eventually expire, and I run the videos while doing other things (they are running now on my desktop while I am typing this on my iPad.) So spend 3000 pts/day on sweeps, earn 7500 a day on videos and quizzes.

We fly from MEM and it's really not a big airport I don't think. I've never had a B position yet in all our years of flying. I used to wake up at the crack of dawn on release day and buy our tickets with EBCI and we have always had A. But more and more I kept seeing how those doing that kept getting B's. And more and more I see lots of Pre-Boards, sometimes like 20+ people. And I know I don't want a B, since it's after family boarding. So I just started buying Anytime. Spending that little extra money just makes me feel better. It's usually only DH & I flying also. Last month, I think we got something like A 30 and I upgraded to A 1-15 because that felt too far back in line to me. Plus it was a free upgrade with my SWA Biz card so why not!!

I am excited to have earned CP now. I got my personal SWA card last Monday, and by Wednesday, I had met the $3k spend. So I am assuming when my first statement closes, CP will automatically show up in my RR account? I booked DH and I a flight to WDW for Sept. on separate bookings last week so I can cancel his and add him as my companion. Even after canceling his ticket, I will still have met the $3k spend. We also have a flight in July, that I booked when I was meeting the $5k spend on my SWA Biz card, but I am not sure if it was part of my spend in the 3 months time frame or not, so I am just going to keep it as it is so I don't mess up and lose it. It just seems too risky, unless there's a way to find out if I could cancel DH's flight and it not affect my status or RR points? I don't want Chase or SWA to claw back anything from me after all my hard work to earn this CP.

Yikes on that boarding experience.

On the rising fares, I've noticed that too. We used to fly SW more and got a lot more out of our CPs. Now it's become mostly for flights to South FL to visit our parents or to WDW, since those flights are short from NC and direct. And still pretty affordable most of the time, often $80-$100 or the points equivalent. This is where we still get value out of the CP and SW RR points, but it certainly used to be better to other places. I remember we once flew to Long Beach (to go to Disneyland) for about $130 in flight credits... plus $5.60 for the companion! Deals like that made it hard to look at other airlines for domestic flights even if they did fly direct from our airport. But since I do love direct flights and SW is getting pricier, we've been flying Delta a lot lately, and American to a lesser extent.
Flying from MEM to MCO used to be about $99 all day long, now it's around $161 for WGA, $221 for Anytime, which is what I purchase now, even last week when they were having all those discounts, they had some WGA flights for $101, but none were my scheduled flights and there was no discount for the Anytime's at all. My son, however, is going to WDW the week before me in August. He opted to save himself $500 and do the $101 WGA flights (but I booked him WGA+ instead for $112) with EBCI. None of us have ever done WGA+ so I wanted to see what boarding position he would end up with. I figured it's better than what I WGA would give him.

I have never priced Delta or AA, but maybe I should, I am sure they fly out of MEM. Assigned seats sound like a great idea lately!

I have never priced Delta or AA, but maybe I should, I am sure they fly out of MEM. Assigned seats sound like a great idea lately!
We have a positioning flight to LAX on Sunday. SW wants $284 WGA+. AA FIRST CLASS is $222. Both are non-stop at similar times of day. So yeah, for my location AA is becoming much more competitive price wise than SW.

Just a note for those who use a lot of $200 (or any other value for that matter) gift cards. I had a recent online purchase which would have required me to use Paypal so instead of giving them my CC info, I substituted in a gift card which worked just fine.

Fast forward to today when I received an email that I was getting my money back due to a service issue delay, even though I had no expectations of any reimbursement.

Usually I toss all the used cards into a small plastic bin. Bin was chock full of cards! Had to start checking them all for the transaction. It was on the absolute last one I had and checked! Took me a couple of hours! The really annoying part? I WROTE on the card that I'd used it for the transaction but during my search, it never occurred to me to turn them over and look for any notes.

Still, I found my $47.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter