I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Helped DS22 apply for the Bilt card today and he got an automatic approval. His only other cards are a student Discover (2020) and the IHG Premier 4/23. He’s also been AU on some of my cards for quite a while.
Congrats! That's awesome! Do you have an opinion on whether DD should apply for the Bilt first and then the Amex Hilton Biz or other way around?

Congrats! That's awesome! Do you have an opinion on whether DD should apply for the Bilt first and then the Amex Hilton Biz or other way around?

The biz won't hit her credit report except for the hard pull unless she has another amex and they do a soft. I'd do the one you want more first or the one you don't mind trying to recon if needed second. Not sure how/if the bilt reports to cr and how soon if it does. That could also be a consideration if you are worried about her getting approval from amex.

With all the Bilt talk... what currency does it earn? How usable is it?

AA miles are used for JAL. 4 can be done, posters here have done it. How easy it would be depends on when you want to go. If you can be flexible with dates and airports it'll be easier. There's still a ton of people booking to go next year.

We used AA points to fly with JAL. We’re flying out of SFO and coming back into ORD. We had to be flexible with dates and airports to make it work. I think it’s definitely doable with 4 people if you can be flexible. We had to wake at 1 am eastern to book the flights on AA. They get booked almost immediately so you have to be ready to book right when they’re released. The $140 is for taxes and fees. I would have to see what we paid for AFs on the cards we opened.

ETA: We spent $200 in AFs to open cards. We were in a rush to get the points in time otherwise we might have been able to find a way to avoid AFs
Thank you both!

Like @afan I would do the most wanted card first. I do really like what I’ve been seeing regarding this Bilt card though. There’s not really anything else out there like it. The ability to earn interest on points, the possibility of using points to make a down payment on a house, no fees on rent… The only thing that concerns me is the staying power of this whole system. Is it sustainable for the company? Will the points hold their value reasonably well (eventual devaluation of all points seems inevitable, but reasonably well at least?)

As far as how usable the points are @punkin its still a relatively new card so maybe it remains to be seen how easy they are to use but the transfer partners look great like @wweazel said.

With no SUB it doesn’t make a lot of sense for homeowners to get this card, but for the young people renting, seems like a great use of their 5/24 to me if the system works as advertised.

Like @afan I would do the most wanted card first. I do really like what I’ve been seeing regarding this Bilt card though. There’s not really anything else out there like it. The ability to earn interest on points, the possibility of using points to make a down payment on a house, no fees on rent… The only thing that concerns me is the staying power of this whole system. Is it sustainable for the company? Will the points hold their value reasonably well (eventual devaluation of all points seems inevitable, but reasonably well at least?)

As far as how usable the points are @punkin its still a relatively new card so maybe it remains to be seen how easy they are to use but the transfer partners look great like @wweazel said.

With no SUB it doesn’t make a lot of sense for homeowners to get this card, but for the young people renting, seems like a great use of their 5/24 to me if the system works as advertised.
The other plus to me is...DD's landlord wants to get paid via cashapp, which requires her to put her debit card in there to draw from her bank account. That makes me very very nervous. I'd prefer a credit card if possible.

I just got the Bilt card on 7/1. I got the AA Red World Elite card on 6/22 and the IHG Business Premier card on 6/5. I was worried that I was pushing my luck...but I got instant approval.

I rent, so it's hard to see a downside to having the Bilt card for me. The transfer partners pair well with my other cards. The only thing to be aware of is that you must make 5 transactions each month to get the rent points. I just set up my 5 least expensive recurring transactions on the card. (Yay for $.99 Apple!)

I'm currently in the middle of a hyatt mattress run where we're actually not staying at the hotel. DH insists we go in every couple of days and mess things up so it looks like someone is actually staying there. Is this really necessary? It takes an hour out of my day to do this. Why would the hotel even care?
Not sure about Hyatt but I did a mattress run using Marriott points to get to platinum 2 years ago, since I needed 2 nights. I wanted the cheapest point nights so did one in Winchester, Va and Jacksonville, NC for 5K and 4k. Checked in on the app and got my nights. No way was I driving or paying extra.

I doubt they would care but if you are doing a long string of nights and have gone in to mess it up, you might mention you don't need housekeeping and may not stay all the nights but still want your room available. It's always possible to get checked out as a no show, especially if they need the room. I'm pretty some housekeepers will report no occupancy.

Requesting a lot of travel hack advice :magnify: as I am new to the redeeming points world and have always planned trips with cash. I want to use the below stash of points plus cash...

Have 200,000 AMEX MR
Have 200,000 Chase UR

Planning for next June - preferably June 14-June 25 (give or take) - being abroad June 17-24 is a must.

3 adults 100% going.
2 additional adults possibly going (so looking for AriBNB's, VRBO's or hotel suites that fit 4 people right now). I will only be paying for flights for the 3 adults that are 100% going. The other two won't be able to travel the entire trip so they're on their own for purchasing flights.

IAH>CDG>Athens>Santorini>IAH

Want to stay around the Eiffel Tower in Paris
Doesn't matter where we stay in Athens, but I'd guess close to the Parthenon
Want to stay in Oia in Santorini
I also have a handful of United points (50k), but nothing significant

As an added headache - would love to fly on Play and hit Iceland on the way back to IAH. :crazy:

Any trip reports, travel hacks, guidance and advice welcome. Thanks in advance!
Flying is not my thing but DD and girls flew Play to Iceland and then on to London in April. It is no frills but was adequate for her limited budget at the time, as it was quite cheap. They had a long layover and I've still forgotten to get details of what they did, which probably wasn't much.

Requesting a lot of travel hack advice :magnify: as I am new to the redeeming points world and have always planned trips with cash. I want to use the below stash of points plus cash...

Have 200,000 AMEX MR
Have 200,000 Chase UR

Planning for next June - preferably June 14-June 25 (give or take) - being abroad June 17-24 is a must.

3 adults 100% going.
2 additional adults possibly going (so looking for AriBNB's, VRBO's or hotel suites that fit 4 people right now). I will only be paying for flights for the 3 adults that are 100% going. The other two won't be able to travel the entire trip so they're on their own for purchasing flights.

IAH>CDG>Athens>Santorini>IAH

Want to stay around the Eiffel Tower in Paris
Doesn't matter where we stay in Athens, but I'd guess close to the Parthenon
Want to stay in Oia in Santorini
I also have a handful of United points (50k), but nothing significant

As an added headache - would love to fly on Play and hit Iceland on the way back to IAH. :crazy:

Any trip reports, travel hacks, guidance and advice welcome. Thanks in advance!
Air France does have a direct nonstop flight from IAH-CDG and allows stopovers. AF also has direct non stop flights from CDG-ATH so theoretically you should be able to book a stopover ticket for the same amount of miles. https://princeoftravel.com/news/air-france-klm-flying-blue-adds-free-stopovers/

AF is a transfer partner for both Chase and Amex. AF flights for your time frame are already open for booking.

The Hyatt Regency Paris Etoile can be booked with Hyatt points transferred 1:1 with Chase. You can book a Regency King Standard suite for about 21k points per night. It will accommodate 4 people and also give you club access for snacks and drinks. It isn't super close to the Eiffel tower but some rooms and the salon do have great views of the Eiffel Tower. We have friends that have stayed there and really thought the location was fine and are returning. I have a stayed booked there as well for next year.

Not sure about Hyatt but I did a mattress run using Marriott points to get to platinum 2 years ago, since I needed 2 nights. I wanted the cheapest point nights so did one in Winchester, Va and Jacksonville, NC for 5K and 4k. Checked in on the app and got my nights. No way was I driving or paying extra.

I doubt they would care but if you are doing a long string of nights and have gone in to mess it up, you might mention you don't need housekeeping and may not stay all the nights but still want your room available. It's always possible to get checked out as a no show, especially if they need the room. I'm pretty some housekeepers will report no occupancy.

Interesting about checking in via app. Twice recently with Marriott, I did the online check in for physical stays and I STILL had to go to the desk to actually check-in and show my CC. I didn't understand it either time because they've got my card on file, I'm Bonvoy Gold Platinum and have their credit card. Was SUPER annoying when I was using them for a 1 night stay on a long road trip and got stuck standing in line at the front desk at 10pm at night, one of their computers wasn't working so I had to wait just to get my room key. Maybe a no show for 1 night isn't going to be a big deal for a mattress run night?

Contrast to Hyatt in Boston last month, room was ready at like 10am and the app worked as the key and never had to stop at the desk -- while I have a WOH account, I don't have a Hyatt CC (my Amex is loaded in the app).

I need some non-rev luck come Monday.....For some stupid reason Spirit has ditched the 3 non-stops to Vegas they normally have. We're supposed to go 11-13. But the flight on the 11th is oversold by 4. UGH. And it went from being at like 6:30am (when people are likely to miss) to 1pm! So I'm starting my journey to Vegas on Monday w/o the BF. He's giddy because he'll fly Delta, LOL. I have 2 non-stop options on Monday, and at a last effort, a connection through ATL. I have a rental car on hold w/ Avis at 10am (when the first flight would land). But I could land at 10am, 2pm or 11pm. This is my first time booking "through" Priceline. It's a "pay at the counter" booking. Do I need to possibly reserve all 3 times? Should I email/call Avis and explain I'm non-rev on 3 different flights? LOL. Normally I don't worry w/ Costco bookings. I do have a costco booked as a backup I guess.

I also need to figure out when I'm getting to Vegas so I can figure out how to book my room for Monday night. I also saw lots of Vegas flights being cancelled (other airlines, not Spirit). This is fun I didn't want to have to worry about. I should add, the Monday flights are also oversold for the direct flights. I'm still holding out hope I get on.

Interesting about checking in via app. Twice recently with Marriott, I did the online check in for physical stays and I STILL had to go to the desk to actually check-in and show my CC. I didn't understand it either time because they've got my card on file, I'm Bonvoy Gold Platinum and have their credit card. Was SUPER annoying when I was using them for a 1 night stay on a long road trip and got stuck standing in line at the front desk at 10pm at night, one of their computers wasn't working so I had to wait just to get my room key. Maybe a no show for 1 night isn't going to be a big deal for a mattress run night?

Contrast to Hyatt in Boston last month, room was ready at like 10am and the app worked as the key and never had to stop at the desk -- while I have a WOH account, I don't have a Hyatt CC (my Amex is loaded in the app).
Both nights I had instruction to go to the desk for a key. Since I wasn't there, I just ignored that. Still got my nights.

I think I've decided on our 2024 vacations:
Jan: WDW Marathon week for me and my girl friends - Staying at Shades of Green
April: WDW with the family - staying at Shades of Green
June: Belize for scuba diving
Tentative Thanksgiving week: Italy
Christmas: Carnival cruise with my extended family
Air France does have a direct nonstop flight from IAH-CDG and allows stopovers. AF also has direct non stop flights from CDG-ATH so theoretically you should be able to book a stopover ticket for the same amount of miles. https://princeoftravel.com/news/air-france-klm-flying-blue-adds-free-stopovers/

AF is a transfer partner for both Chase and Amex. AF flights for your time frame are already open for booking.

The Hyatt Regency Paris Etoile can be booked with Hyatt points transferred 1:1 with Chase. You can book a Regency King Standard suite for about 21k points per night. It will accommodate 4 people and also give you club access for snacks and drinks. It isn't super close to the Eiffel tower but some rooms and the salon do have great views of the Eiffel Tower. We have friends that have stayed there and really thought the location was fine and are returning. I have a stayed booked there as well for next year.
we stayed there, it was on the outskirts but easy to get to and the club lounge was totally worth the minor inconvenience.

So my parents are flying Business Class on Cathay Pacific from BKK to HGK in a few days. That flight departed from Concourse E today (not sure if it changes day to day) and the Cathay Pacific Lounge in in Concourse G.

Mom has the CSR and I signed her up for Priority Pass. I checked and there is a lounge in Concourse E.

Should I advise her to go to the Cathay Lounge or to the one in the same departure Concourse in Bangkok (BKK)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter