I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I need some advice/opinions on suitcases. We’re planning to check two bags for our Germany flight. We normally bring 3 backpacks, one for each of us, but are considering getting ds his own smaller roller suitcase to use instead. Is it unrealistic to expect a 3 year old to roll a suitcase through the airport lol? If it’ll be more trouble we’ll just stick with the backpacks instead
This made me chuckle. Only because my children would have made me nuts dragging suitcases through the airport. 😂 But that’s my kids, and my lack of patience. You know what your son is capable of, and what you’re capable of tolerating. In hindsight maybe I should have taught my kids to drive their own luggage sooner. I see little people with their own suitcases all the time. So I’m going to say this is a question only you can answer.

This made me chuckle. Only because my children would have made me nuts dragging suitcases through the airport. 😂 But that’s my kids, and my lack of patience. You know what your son is capable of, and what you’re capable of tolerating. In hindsight maybe I should have taught my kids to drive their own luggage sooner. I see little people with their own suitcases all the time. So I’m going to say this is a question only you can answer.
Lol my child would be the one to run into everyone and we will most likely end up pulling it. Dh is the one saying he should get a suitcase and I’m trying to persuade him that it’ll be more work 😆

I currently have a SW Chase Business card and have many miles to cover those routes.
I am looking to begin accumulating Delta miles to cover routes that SW does not.

I have no other cards.

Looking for suggestions for either a Delta branded card or another travel card to accomplish my goal.

TIA

St. Louis is my home airport too (heading there today) and it's not a great one for international flights. We flew to London in October and I booked Virgin Air using Ultimate Rewards from Boston to London. To get to Boston I booked cheap Southwest flights and made sure we landed several hours early. You may want to plan for the day before to make sure you arrive in time for your international flight.

Returning home I booked British Air (UR) from London to Philadelphia. I had a 3 hour layover before my cheap Southwest flight back to St. Louis. That proved not enough time as the flight was slightly delayed (20 mins) but customs was an hour-long line and then BA lost our luggage (temporary but long enough to delay us further). We ended up missing our Southwest flight and had to get a hotel for the night.

Some good advice I read was work backwards: Start searching flights from London or Barcelona and see where they fly into the US. Then you know what your options will be to head out. So if you see there are a bunch of flights from London to Atlanta you can try to book your own positioning flight there for your international flight. And as you can see from my last trip you don't have to use the same city coming/going.

Good luck!

Positioning is basically getting yourself to an airport that is not your home airport or where you really need to go (on a cheap easy flight ideally) in order to catch a flight that is available on points/miles that is available or usually more convenient points/miles wise. Sometimes it is needed because the flight options you have from your home airport aren't good due to schedule, availability or the plane you want to fly isn't located at your home airport.

Some examples of positioning and the varied reasons for them that I have used would be as follows. My home airports are MIA and FLL and I wanted to fly the Emirates A380 plane with the shower in first class to Dubai. That specific plane with that feature does not service MIA/FLL so I had to position to IAH to fly on it. I booked my Emirates flight out of IAH-DXB with Emirates Skyward miles transferred from either Chase or Amex, I don't recall and then purchased a separate cheap ticket on United and flew to Houston. Spent the day with friends over there and then caught my flight to Dubai.

DH, my mom and I were taking a trip to Scotland via London and I wanted seats in F for us. British Airways F seats out of MIA were dry, nothing open even checking as soon as they dropped. I saw 3 F available out of JFK and booked that instead. Plenty of cheap or low miles cost flights to NYC out of Miami so we booked those for the night before our long haul flight and spent the day in New York doing touristy things and used a FN cert for our hotel stay.

More recently, I needed to book 3 flights for DH, niece and I to Greece next year. I wanted to book in business (J) and also have good odds of finding 3 J seats on a specific date that wouldn't be an obscene amount of miles and lower in taxes. My best bet was booking an Emirates Fifth Freedom flight out of EWR-ATH. I will purchase our 3 flights to EWR using UTB funds that have been accumulating for the night before we are flying out. Then I will use FN certs and book our stay and spend the day catching a show and doing touristy things in NY with our niece.

Failure of all intended potential plans to book flights caused me to position to London of all places, later this year as a stopover for 2 nights in order to get to Cairo. We will get to see the NYE fireworks in London and have tickets to see ABBA Voyage. I am also positioning on the way back home. My best option for an easy flight home with miles in J was Egypt Air to JFK. We will stay a couple of nights and catch some shows. Then fly home on United using United Travel Bank funds. So on this trip I am positioning to get there and positioning to get back home as well. Not gonna lie, this epic failure of mine will likely be one of the best travel hacking plans I didn't have. LOL

Hope this helps :flower3:

I would start with what points/miles do you have to work with and then go from there. Flying to Barcelona, my first thought would be Iberia even though you'd likely have a connection in Madrid. I had Avios miles sitting in BA collecting dust and transferred those to Iberia to book our 2 J seats to Barcelona from Miami for our VV med cruise in a couple of months.

I think you need to have an Iberia account open for 3 months first. But you can transfer to a newly opened Iberia account from Chase or Amex. Chase transfers are instant and our travel companions opened up new Iberia accounts and transferred their points right away to book. TPG (yeah, yeah, I know) article showing the drastic difference of tax savings booking with Iberia over BA
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/move-british-airways-avios-to-iberia-lower-fees/

I also agree with a previous poster about working your way backwards. That is also good advice.

BTW I'm pretty sure AA has some direct flights to BCN out of MIA, CLT, JFK and ORD

Hope this helps :flower3:

Thank you both! So much great information - I will definitely look into repositioning. When we flew there in 2018, it was so easy with United, but now their points bookings are so much more than they were then (more than double it seems).

@wannabee there are many ways to get to Singapore, either directly (aside from the one mentioned above, there is a direct flight through EWR I believe), or connecting somewhere, for example, Tokyo. I like to maximize my vacations, so I'd look at spending a few days somewhere before the wedding, like Tokyo, then several somewhere different after the wedding, say Bali, Thailand or even the Maldives. The good thing is that you have plenty of time to plan and accumulate your miles / points. You are going to want to be ready to book flights and accommodations as soon as the flights release in 2024. Not sure of the ages of your travelers, but since 5 J seats might be difficult on the same flight, you could look at flying in groups of 3 and 2.

I need some advice/opinions on suitcases. We’re planning to check two bags for our Germany flight. We normally bring 3 backpacks, one for each of us, but are considering getting ds his own smaller roller suitcase to use instead. Is it unrealistic to expect a 3 year old to roll a suitcase through the airport lol? If it’ll be more trouble we’ll just stick with the backpacks instead
Backpack only otherwise you'll be trying not to lose your son and his suitcase. I would even say to get a suitcase for you that he can sit on top so you can wheel him around on it in case you need to rush through an airport for a connection or its too crowded and you need to keep him close or if he's exhausted and you are in a long line for customs. The less you have to keep track of, the better.

I just started my chase trifecta journey. I got approved for all three CFU, CFF and CSP all within 2 weeks. I will refer my wife to all 3 when the time comes, then downgrade my CSP.

My main question is. With all my focus on those three cards from now on, should I keep my capital one venture (not the X) since I am grandfathered in to the $59 annual fee? I’ve had the card for 8 years. I would downgrade it to the captial one venture one, which I am already approved for on the website.

Keep it or downgrade? I do use TSA precheck, so the card does get me that but it is more to keep the card open than to renew precheck for $70 every 5 years.
I would keep your Cap One open. When I started churning I made the mistake of closing a card I had been using for years to “make room” on my roster for more cards, and removing a card that I’d had for so long dinged my credit score.

If you have a big issue with the fee, you can call them and ask to product change to a no fee card.

Probably depends on the child but my granddaughter is 2 1/2 and super active running around etc may or may not do it depending on her mood :flower:love her to pieces and am lucky enough to live 5 minutes away so usually see her every day…but some days she will walk everywhere, other days it’s…carry me

Last edited:
Backpack only otherwise you'll be trying not to lose your son and his suitcase. I would even say to get a suitcase for you that he can sit on top so you can wheel him around on it in case you need to rush through an airport for a connection or its too crowded and you need to keep him close or if he's exhausted and you are in a long line for customs. The less you have to keep track of, the better.
We’re gonna take his light weight stroller so if I have to strap him in I can do that. We usually use it as a cart for all of the bags too 😆

Probably depends on the child but my granddaughter is 2 1/2 and super active running around etc may or may not do it depending on her mood :flower:love her to piece and am lucky enough to live 5 minutes away so usually see her every day…but some days she will walk everywhere, other days it’s…carry me
I think we’re gonna stick with backpacks and then we’ll have the stroller as well

I just started my chase trifecta journey. I got approved for all three CFU, CFF and CSP all within 2 weeks. I will refer my wife to all 3 when the time comes, then downgrade my CSP.

My main question is. With all my focus on those three cards from now on, should I keep my capital one venture (not the X) since I am grandfathered in to the $59 annual fee? I’ve had the card for 8 years. I would downgrade it to the captial one venture one, which I am already approved for on the website.

Keep it or downgrade? I do use TSA precheck, so the card does get me that but it is more to keep the card open than to renew precheck for $70 every 5 years.
What else does the $59 AF get you? If there's nothing else you'll use then doesn't seem worth paying even if it's a lower rate. If you use the capone points for things that you can't get with UR then the extra earning power over the ventureone might justify the fee. But if you're going to be shifting your spend to Chase it might not make a difference. For TSA pre check or Global entry, there are many cards out there that cover the fee. For me I'd look for one of those when it comes time for renewal.

Next week I'm going to be booking SW flights. I'll book three with my account and DW will book one with her account. All four will be the same flight. I should get enough points for a companion pass a little later this year. My plan was to cancel her flight if there was an open seat and add her as my companion. Can I buy one flight with cash (CSR credit) and the other two with points in the same transaction or will I have to do two? If I have to make two transactions can I then call SW and get them combined into one confirmation number?

I am going to fly either to Paris or Geneva. I am hoping fly from Lafayette but can also leave from Baton Rouge, New Orleans or Houston, I have seen one way flights on United as low as 125k each Business class. We plan to fly back from Barcelona and will use my Delta points- probably just economy on way back as those flights are much higher points.
125K seems high to me, but it is worth it if you have plenty of points and want peace of mind. My United Polaris tickets in May were 60K from EWR to LHR. I repositioned to NYC because I had plenty of Delta points to get us to NYC cheap. We stayed 2 nts there and toured the city and caught a Yankees game. Check ticket prices to Europe for about 6 months from now. See if they are more or less than 125K. As I mentioned previously, 5-7 months out seem to be when you see some good deals. Flying Blue is by far my first choice for Europe, preferably Air France.

I had to edit my previous post because it said I booked a Europe trip in 2002, but it should have said 2022.
Wondering if anyone else shares my point of view on which direction to get the more comfy seats?

We were in Europe for a couple weeks in June. Flight there left in the evening, arrived AMS 10AM. Didn't sleep much, just watched some movies and relaxed, but we dropped our bags and were good for most of the day, followed by dinner and an early night. Woke up ready to go the next day.

Flight home left at 8am and arrived 1pm. It was miserable being in the back of the plane! Didn't sleep much the night before, anticipating an early ride to the airport, and airport connections were long and frustrating. I'd have LOVED to be anywhere but in the main cabin. I think if I only had points for one direction in F or J, I'd choose coming home vs the flight to Europe.

Anyone else?
I am definitely the opposite of you, and need lie flat for the overnight portion on the way to Europe. We got bumped from biz to comfort plus (or whatever its called on United) on departure and I was miserable. That was even with the extra leg room in a bulkhead row. I could not sleep at all. Luckily, I was able to drop my bags and go, but I would always choose biz going if I could only do it one way.
Anybody been to Rome in the last couple of years? I am trying to plan our itinerary for our November Italy trip but the official sites of many Rome attractions don't work for me regardless of what browser I use. It's hard to know opening times and such. I could get tickets with third-party sites for, say, the Colosseum and Vatican tours, but it seems some of them have conflicting information. I would like to have the official times! Any help would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone has done any tours that you would recommend, let me know!
I was in Rome in August 2022. I checked the sites for you:
Colosseum 9:00-4:30
Vatican 9:00-6:00 with some other hours on certain days

We did a private tour of the Colosseum and Roman Forum. It was a very big splurge, but well worth it. I wanted to do the underground and I wasn't able to get those tix from the official site, so I started looking at other options. We used Exploro Tours (he gave me a cash discount, not sure if that is normal or not). I found them on my own, but turns out that is who our hotel (Margutta 19) recommends. We did the official "private" Sistene Chapel afternoon tour. It started with a guided tour through the Vatican Museums and ended with a wine and cheese reception. I put the private in air quotes because you do get access to the Sistene Chapel after it closes to the public, but it's not just your group. There were 3-4 groups of 10 people in there at the same time. Definitely MUCH less crowded than normal, but you will not be alone. We had a good tour guide, but I could have done with less time on the museum tour.

Personally, I am leery of booking through third party sites. I know people do it all the time, but I am irrationally paranoid about something going wrong.
I currently have a SW Chase Business card and have many miles to cover those routes.
I am looking to begin accumulating Delta miles to cover routes that SW does not.

I have no other cards.

Looking for suggestions for either a Delta branded card or another travel card to accomplish my goal.

TIA
I am not a Delta card/pts expert, but no one else has chimed in yet so I will tell you the basics I know. The Delta cards are probably a good place to start because you can get a decent SUB and they come with other benefits when you fly Delta. Depending on the card, those include free checked bag, discounted points bookings, and I think lounge access with the most expensive card (but not sure). Chase UR do not transfer to Delta, so you will want to focus on AmEx MRs. I am not sure if the current SUBs on the Delta cards are good or not. Hopefully, someone here will know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter