I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

For the few that have flown air canada. Is it generally cheaper miles to redeem via United or aeroplan? Or is that something I can look up if I register for aeroplan?

Not used to booking with miles on united. Am guessing if it shows up for cash but not when you click redeem with miles that they don't have any partner availability? I saw this when I was looking at speculative flights a couple months ago but thought it was just the timing. The air canada flight only shows up for cash.

i had no problem booking my intra Japan flights on ANA using united and have a few miles stranded due to the amount you can transfer which is why I wanted to book it that way along with hopeful lower taxes.

Staples has $200 MCGS fee free starting Sunday 8/13 to Saturday 8/19 limit of 5 per day
Just asked a question about them over on Reddit in our DISchurners group :flower:
I think I’ve done something wrong with DISchurners in Reddit. I asked and rec’d access but all the threads are > 200 days old. Is there more than one subreddit? I think someone else mentioned a similar experience recently.

I think I’ve done something wrong with DISchurners in Reddit. I asked and rec’d access but all the threads are > 200 days old. Is there more than one subreddit? I think someone else mentioned a similar experience recently.
I think that’s when the thread was started…I posted the question in the news and general discussion thread

No they don't get refreshed any more. The costa rica and Japan ones are the newest and not really that new.

I've churned cards for my wife and I for years, but only recently considered doing it for my DD20, who is in college, after reading of others here doing the same. She's been an AU on one of my cards (Skymiles Amex) for a couple years and doesn't have any cards of her own. However, I'm interested in doing this purely for the SUBs (which I would probably transfer to my accounts), and I wouldn't even give her the cards for spending.

As I do with my wife (who doesn't work), I plan on using household income and our home address. Am I too ambitious to think I could use a CSP referral for my DD's first standalone credit card app? Is there anything else I need to consider when venturing into churning for her?

DS24 resides at home but has graduated college and has a full time job. He is an authorized user on a few of my cards and has a high credit score. he is ready to get his own credit card and I think the CSP would be best. does anyone know the minimum income for this card? he is not a high earner

I don't know the minimum income, but see the comments in the last two pages from a poster in a very similar situation. I think the CSP is tough to get for a first card bc Chase often wants you to have an established relationship with Chase, outside of being an AU. Lots of people recommend a Discover card as a first card.

DD24 started out with just a Discover Card in college. She was an AU on some of our cards since she was 16 yo.

She applied for her first Chase card earlier this year (CIU) as an artist and got instant approval. She was later approved for CSP (last month).

That being said, she banks with Chase and has Private Client status because of her relationship to us. FYI, if you are a Chase Private Client, its benefit is extended to immediate family members.

ETA - DD24 works in the service industry, so her income is VERY modest but she has great credit.

Last edited:
So you use a smaller wallet and a small card holder? That might work for me.
Yes. I'm bad about dropping a CC in my pocket, purse, whatever and then not being able to find it. I originally bought the KS 6 card holder to carry in my clear bag to the TS concert, but now I just keep my Id and most used cards in it. I only need to pull it out when shopping, but I also have the larger wallet in my purse so I have more cards and GCs, cash, etc if I need them.

The KS small card holder holds 3 cards on each side. It also has a slot in the center that I stashed a few $$ in. It can be hard to get that money out so I just leave a little corner sticking up. Plat and Gold are a little hard to get in/out, but the more I use it the easier it's getting.

For the few that have flown air canada. Is it generally cheaper miles to redeem via United or aeroplan? Or is that something I can look up if I register for aeroplan?
When we booked our Air Canada flight it was cheaper miles to redeem via aeroplan. I cannot remember the amount for United. I do not have any United cc's so I could not see anything additional for their cc holders.
Not used to booking with miles on united. Am guessing if it shows up for cash but not when you click redeem with miles that they don't have any partner availability? I saw this when I was looking at speculative flights a couple months ago but thought it was just the timing. The air canada flight only shows up for cash.

i had no problem booking my intra Japan flights on ANA using united and have a few miles stranded due to the amount you can transfer which is why I wanted to book it that way along with hopeful lower taxes.
I just went to Air Canada's website and searched without signing in. When I put in the travel info and selected "Book with points Aeroplan" I get results with miles Are you looking on United or Air Canada's website? If you have an Aeroplan account you may find flights for fewer miles than without an account.

What would you all do? My original plan was to pay for our roof with my Amex Hilton Biz, but just got the invoice and they don’t take Amex. Which ruins my plans for our Disney trip, was hoping to earn a FNC from the $15K spend.

We have to pay with Visa or Master Card.
We have Hyatt, CIP, Citi AA, CIC, NavyFed Flagship.
We'll pay $4K on our CIP to meet the MSR. So we would need to charge the other $8K on a card. What would you all do?
Any chance they'd take PayPal, and you could set up your Amex with PP on the backend?

I just went to Air Canada's website and searched without signing in. When I put in the travel info and selected "Book with points Aeroplan" I get results with miles Are you looking on United or Air Canada's website? If you have an Aeroplan account you may find flights for fewer miles than without an account

I can see it just fine on AC. My question is about United. I can find it for cash but not miles. I'm trying to avoid having small random amounts of miles in programs I rarely use.

Is Air Can charging more than taxes and fees because I don't have the miles to book this? If not this is insane and I'll fly another airline. I had to create a log in to get to this point but I'm bot transfering miles to basically pay cash for what I could get on DL.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230810-124805.png
    Screenshot_20230810-124805.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 13
I would look for the offer without using a support link. Just do a search through multiple different browsers, and incognito mode. I’ve typically had luck even if it took a few days of trying. It’s always nice to try and use a support link, but for some reason it does often lead to the pop up. I wouldn’t give up.
Following up on this - After several days of searching through different browsers in incognito mode (both support offers and not) with no luck getting that 125k personal SUB offer (nor the 150k biz SUB offer), I was about to just accept the 120k biz offer today. However, I happened to find a link on Amex's website for an elevated biz SUB offer of 130k, e.g. 120k with a strikethrough, and I was instantly approved. I'm happy none of those 125k personal offers worked after all. :-)

Interestingly enough, when I take that same generic Amex biz platinum card link from Edge that currently shows 130k and put it in Firefox or Chrome, it just shows the 120k offer.

Is Air Can charging more than taxes and fees because I don't have the miles to book this? If not this is insane and I'll fly another airline. I had to create a log in to get to this point but I'm bot transfering miles to basically pay cash for what I could get on DL.

Is it a points+cash rate? Link

I can see it just fine on AC. My question is about United. I can find it for cash but not miles. I'm trying to avoid having small random amounts of miles in programs I rarely use.
Gotcha, I misunderstood what you wrote.
I believe the additional charge is the price to purchase the needed points from Aeroplan. When I tried a dumy booking for more points then I have I am getting an Air Transportation Charge which is for the price to purchase the additional points I did not have an additional charge when I used all points for our flights last month. I believe @*WDW*Groupie* is the resident Air Canada expert. Perhaps she can answer.

What would you all do? My original plan was to pay for our roof with my Amex Hilton Biz, but just got the invoice and they don’t take Amex. Which ruins my plans for our Disney trip, was hoping to earn a FNC from the $15K spend.

We have to pay with Visa or Master Card.
We have Hyatt, CIP, Citi AA, CIC, NavyFed Flagship.
We'll pay $4K on our CIP to meet the MSR. So we would need to charge the other $8K on a card. What would you all do?
Ugh. I'm hoping to do the exact same thing with our new roof. (Hilton FNC). Can you open up another Ink card maybe?

Gotcha, I misunderstood what you wrote.

I believe the additional charge is the price to purchase the needed points from Aeroplan. When I tried a dumy booking for more points then I have I am getting an Air Transportation Charge which is for the price to purchase the additional points I did not have an additional charge when I used all points for our flights last month. I believe @*WDW*Groupie* is the resident Air Canada expert. Perhaps she can answer.
I would've chimed in earlier but I wasn't sure of the original question. It's hard to comment without knowing the flight being looked at, but AC doesn't charge outrageous fees like BA does, just taxes. If I knew the date and flight I might be able to offer more insight. I have paid higher than normal fees, usually to fly to or from LHR, which is somewhat normal.

I would've chimed in earlier but I wasn't sure of the original question. It's hard to comment without knowing the flight being looked at, but AC doesn't charge outrageous fees like BA does, just taxes. If I knew the date and flight I might be able to offer more insight. I have paid higher than normal fees, usually to fly to or from LHR, which is somewhat normal.

The screenshot shows all the info, dates and city at the top and the breakdown of the fees. It's not taxes, it's clear what those are which is why I asked if it's buying the points to use for the flight.

All I did was pick redeem miles like I do on any other airline. There is no option that I saw to pick miles + cash. Generally it'll show you the total needed and the taxes regardless of whether you have enough miles. Not what appears to be a cash price and miles.

For Amex Offers, I have $120 back if I spend $599 at Dell. I've pulled together an order that is $594.97 before tax and $638 with. Will that trigger it or do you think I need to hit $599 pretax? I looked at the (long) terms and didn't see any mention.

The screenshot shows all the info, dates and city at the top and the breakdown of the fees. It's not taxes, it's clear what those are which is why I asked if it's buying the points to use for the flight.

All I did was pick redeem miles like I do on any other airline. There is no option that I saw to pick miles + cash. Generally it'll show you the total needed and the taxes regardless of whether you have enough miles. Not what appears to be a cash price and miles.
The below is what I see:

SEA --> YUL May 2024.png

YVR --> YUL May 2024.png

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter