I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Do you know where she is staying? Maybe calling the hotel you could pay for a wine and cheese special platter to be waiting for them? Or a GC/credit for a dinner there if the hotel has a restaurant?

This is a really nice idea. We did something similar for my parents 50th anniversary. We'd already had a big family gathering (my parents are very low key people, they just wanted all their kids/grandkids together at one time -- and there's a lot of us) a few months before a small trip they took with a tour company. Anyway, I called the tour company and asked them what they suggested and IIRC, we ended up sending flowers to their hotel room and the tour guide stocked their favorite sweet treats on the tour bus, etc.

I also had a number of friends travel to Finland to attend one of those NHL in Europe trips and I knew what hotel they were staying at and emailed the hotel and asked them to leave a note for them from me saying I was hoped they had a fantastic time! The hotel actually had it greet them on the TV with the message and that was super fun for them (and it was free).

Last edited:
Question about Hotel Indigos in general. We're trying to piece together a framework for a Italy/Switzerland trip for fall 2024. I think we'll stay several nights in Florence. I have a 200k stash of IHG points and would love to use them for the 3 nights + 1 free. The only property I see is a new Hotel Indigo opening in the spring (I believe it's actually a renovation/reopening of a hotel they acquired). I've never stayed at a Hotel Indigo. I believe their small, which is fine. I realize there will be 100s of other more interesting places to stay, but figured I'd ask about Hotel Indigo experiences in Europe.

Tell me about how to save on cruising. Specifically looking for spring or summer 2024 leaving Brooklyn (MSC) or Manhattan (Norwegian?) or NJ (RC). Interested in saving using OOP cash or Chase UR or Amex MR. Never cruised before so any information about anything and everything will be helpful. Destination would be bahamas/florida or caribbean for 7 nights.
Replying to myself here with specific questions about Royal Caribbean. Any way to use MR or UR for RC, besides just cashing out the points or using statement credit? Any tips or tricks for saving when paying cash? I am using a TA so already getting whatever perks she can offer.

Any other tips regarding cruising with RC are welcome - never cruised before.

Good morning all!

My Chase offers are nowhere to be found. I noticed this yesterday and just checked to see if they would appear today.

Anyone else having this issue? I'm guessing it's temporary.

Good morning all!

My Chase offers are nowhere to be found. I noticed this yesterday and just checked to see if they would appear today.

Anyone else having this issue? I'm guessing it's temporary.
I saw that several people are having the same problem, someone commented that their was upgraded. So maybe they are slowly rolling out something new?

Quick report on a trip we took in July to Cabo.

Travel party of 6: Myself, DH and our 2 adult children (early 20s) and their BF/GF

Split stay between the Cape a Thompson Hotel, part of Hyatt (30k Hyatt pts/nt) and the Waldorf Astoria Los Cabos Pedregal (FNCs or 120k Hilton pts/nt). SW rt using 2 companion passes, points and some LUV vouchers from a previous flight disruption.

The Cape

IMG_4470.jpeg
IMG_2754.jpeg
IMG_2755.jpeg
IMG_2798.jpeg
IMG_2780.jpeg

The Good:
- Amazing view of the Arch. One of the best in Cabo. People pay hundreds of dollars to dine next door at Sunset Mona Lisa for that view.
- Nice check-in experience with a delicious Mezcalita welcome drink.
- beautiful and spacious rooms, with amazing balconies with swinging bali beds
- Complimentary bottle of tequila in both our rooms.
- Sent up a bottle of prosecco and chocolate strawberries for our anniversary.
- Pool team set us up with a cabana and lounge chairs, no charge and no minimum. Pool food was reasonable for Cabo area resort.
- rooftop bar/lounge was a fun experience with good music
- good service recovery

The Bad:
- The pool was like hot tub temperature. Not refreshing in any way.
- As others described, the pool vibe was very Las Vegas-ish. Very crowded in the pool. Loud people and loud people shouting at night. I didn't find the music to be loud. The smaller salt water pool was slightly cooler and we gravitated there when it wasn't occupied.
- Not a fan of the clear shower open concept.
- We had some maintenance issues with the A/C, but see comment about service recovery
- the Real Feel was like 102 some days. A refreshing pool was really needed.

Overall, it was a one and done for us. Now we come to Cabo mostly to go to the Waldorf Astoria, and of course, nothing is really going to compare to that. Note, we don't have any status at Hyatt, but Diamond status with Hilton, so that helps. I was impressed with the nice treatment at the Cape despite lack of status.

Snagged 3 rooms at the Waldorf Astoria Los Cabos Pedregal, and it was fun for the adult kids to have that experience. They could not stop gushing about the experience. It really was perfection this time. They were kind enough to upgrade our room to the Estrella Suite, on their highest floor, which was incredibly private and had two balconies, including sun loungers, firepit and a corner edge infinity pool just next to a rock jutting. The sun hit it perfectly. We were sad to go.

IMG_2804.jpeg
IMG_3134.jpeg
Corner infinity pool on the highest floor
IMG_3119.jpeg
IMG_2823.jpeg

We had amazing meals at Flora Farms for brunch, the Waldorf Astoria Don Manuel's (because we've been to El Farallon at WA many times) and at Barracuda Cantina on Cerritos Beach. We had a really fun time driving up the coast to Cerritos Beach and playing in the waves. Had a meh meal at Jazmin's in San Jose del Cabo. Loved the grocery store across the highway, El Fresko by La Comer. Also used the ATM there for pesos, just remember to decline their conversion rate (the last prompt).

IMG_2800.jpeg

After reading about the Hyatt survey on Doc I went back in my email to find it as I had saved it. Until you start the survey there is no indication that I remember that it is a Hyatt survey.

It was confusing as I'm not sure what the best balance would be. FNC's mentioned were either 4 or 5, with options to combine 5k points for each upward category. Some options were for explorist status for 1st year. There were varying possible credits, plus annual fee suggestions from 250 to 450.

For me a cat 5 night with the ability to upgrade with 5K points suits what I do now the best.

They also gave me $10 amazon credit - which is for the 1st 600 responses, so I guess not everyone jumped on the opportunity to do this survey, since I received it on September 8, 4 days ago.

It's quite long, I almost ditched it halfway through.

Instant approval for P2 for a CIC using my link, the last CIC for P2 was in Jan of this year. I will SM asking to match to the 90K offer once I get the card. I really hope that works! (For you too @Crazed4DisneyinSC !) I have a gut feeling that the support link will drop to the normal 20K once the 90K offer has support links available.

I held off on that SWBiz CP offer that expired 9/4 because I thought the Inks were a better play for us for now. With that $15K MSR and the tight timing to get the 60K RR to post in 2024, it just made more sense for us to hold off since we have enough RRs to tide us over for awhile. I'm going to save P2's CIC support link and probably apply myself later this month.

I'm slowly finishing up the Biz IHG MSR, and I have no idea what I'm going to do with the points haha. It was totally a FOMO app.

I need to decide if I'm going for Hyatt Globalist for P2 again, we're only at 32 nights so far. I just am not sure where we're going to travel next year (other than my hopes to get to Bora Bora, I have Marriott Platinum and Hilton Diamond so that's helpful there) and I don't know whether Globalist will be good to have or not since I don't know if we'll be using it. This year's plans include Alila Ventana Big Sur and Grand Hyatt Kauai so it made sense to have Globalist this year. Decisions, decisions.

Lodging - There is a Wyndham time share, a Best Western, and a Quality Inn in looking to boom somewhere with points. We are already talking about taking the kids when they are a bit older and staying at the Wyndham.
We were in Estes Park this weekend and stayed at the Wyndham and had a great time. We had a 3BD Presidential unit this time (that's all that was available when I booked) and it was enormous and it had a fantastic balcony overlooking the Big Thompson River. We've stayed at this property numerous times and its location is convenient since it's between the main touristy part of Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. Depending on your kids' ages they might find Fun City (big slides, go karts, mini golf, & more) enjoyable just down the road. There is also a ropes course next door to Fun City which is fun for bigger kids and adults.

I need to decide if I'm going for Hyatt Globalist for P2 again, we're only at 32 nights so far. I just am not sure where we're going to travel next year (other than my hopes to get to Bora Bora, I have Marriott Platinum and Hilton Diamond so that's helpful there) and I don't know whether Globalist will be good to have or not since I don't know if we'll be using it. This year's plans include Alila Ventana Big Sur and Grand Hyatt Kauai so it made sense to have Globalist this year. Decisions, decisions.
New Hyatt promotion just dropped:

From fabulous vacations around the world to weekend getaways near or far, when you register for Bonus Journeys, you can earn 3,000 Bonus Points for every three qualifying nights, up to 21 nights, at 1,250+ hotels worldwide across 25+ brands—including participating Andaz, Dream Hotels, JdV by Hyatt, Park Hyatt, Thompson Hotels and more. Plus, as a World of Hyatt Credit Cardmember, you can earn an additional 1,000 Bonus Points when those nights are at 550+ participating hotels worldwide.Register by November 10, 2023, and complete your qualifying nights between October 6 and November 30, 2023, to start earning.

If you can find Cat 1 at 3.5K points, you could earn 3 nights for 7,500 points. You could do this for 21 nights, it would cost you 52,500 net points. Less if you have a Hyatt Card and stay at the participating hotels for the extra 1,000.

ETA: If P2 has AA elite status you can earn Globalist with 20 nights. https://milestalk.com/hyatt-status-...vnAlP9Qh_u1AQJhB2qtylA8nexoHqyrmXKRb-7uqB9imE

Last edited:
New Hyatt promotion just dropped:

From fabulous vacations around the world to weekend getaways near or far, when you register for Bonus Journeys, you can earn 3,000 Bonus Points for every three qualifying nights, up to 21 nights, at 1,250+ hotels worldwide across 25+ brands—including participating Andaz, Dream Hotels, JdV by Hyatt, Park Hyatt, Thompson Hotels and more. Plus, as a World of Hyatt Credit Cardmember, you can earn an additional 1,000 Bonus Points when those nights are at 550+ participating hotels worldwide.Register by November 10, 2023, and complete your qualifying nights between October 6 and November 30, 2023, to start earning.

If you can find Cat 1 at 3.5K points, you could earn 3 nights for 7,500 points. You could do this for 21 nights, it would cost you 52,500 net points. Less if you have a Hyatt Card and stay at the participating hotels for the extra 1,000.

ETA: If P2 has AA elite status you can earn Globalist with 20 nights. https://milestalk.com/hyatt-status-...vnAlP9Qh_u1AQJhB2qtylA8nexoHqyrmXKRb-7uqB9imE
Thanks for that! I will go check it out. I wish there were Cat 1s available near me, the best I can do is Cat 2 at 6500/nt but maybe it will work anyway. I'm going to math it out.

Was approved for the BoA Premier rewards on Thursday, the expedited card just arrived. Pretty good service there at least.
In plenty of time for my insurance bill that needs to be paid by the 21st.
and now I am livid with BoA. That didn't take long. I tried to use my card today, after it activated just fine yesterday, and they flagged it for fraud. They won't take the flag off until I go in person to a branch, and validate my identity. The nearest branch is 20 miles away, and I work for a living. They close at 4 daily. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I feel your struggle! We're going to make it this year, but probably not next year. I plan to make GOH reservations for 2025 before it expires.

For this year, DH canceled his Hyatt card and reapplied. That gave us 5 nights from the original card and 5 from the new card. Had to make MSR anyways, so doing the 15k for FNC plus 6 more nights. 34 organic nights, 10 from the Hyatt biz before it was canceled.

I feel your struggle! We're going to make it this year, but probably not next year. I plan to make GOH reservations for 2025 before it expires.

For this year, DH canceled his Hyatt card and reapplied. That gave us 5 nights from the original card and 5 from the new card. Had to make MSR anyways, so doing the 15k for FNC plus 6 more nights. 34 organic nights, 10 from the Hyatt biz before it was canceled.
Smart move!

I left yesterday for my trip. I was so excited to try the AC Signature Suite because it’s not accessible to regular biz class passengers (you have to pay in pts or miles for the most expensive biz class fare, which I never do). Anyways got there, asked to be seated in the ‘fine dining’ area. It was quite nice, only 2 or 3 other tables occupied. Was enjoying the ambiance until I hear the toilet flushing. Thought it odd, then heard it again. And again. And again. While trying to enjoy my food. Mentioned it to the server and she seemed surprised. When I went to use the bathroom, turns out the cleaning lady was cleaning the toilets after every use and leaving the doors to the bathroom suites open. Someone needs to tell her to shut the darn doors because I found it gross to hear the toilet flushing while eating. Maybe it’s just me. Kind of ruined the experience for me. Anyways the food was good, especially the tuna tartare appetizer. The shrimp main was a bit overdone. Passed on dessert.

I took a wrong turn at the airport and ended up going through security twice. Oops. Need to pay more attention next time. No issues at all, but still!

Boarded Emirates and headed to seat 2K. But found a maintenance man there, who declared that my seat had no power whatsoever. I was offered a middle seat, but I wanted a window seat because I didn’t like the low divider between the middle seats. All the window seats were taken, but the purser somehow talked a gentleman in 4K to take a middle seat and I was able to switch with him. The seat was very comfy and the IFE was excellent. Wish I could say the same for the food. I watched the Book Club (for the Italian scenery), then BlackBerry (It was very good, but a lot to try to pack into 2 hours or however long it was). Asked for the poached lobster appetizer and cod main course. The lobster was okay, the cod was inedible. I spent a good deal of time wondering if the one bite that I had of the cod was going to cause severe gastrointestinal distress. It didn’t. But I was legit worried because it was that bad. I would have had another main course, but the cod took a staggering 35 mins and at that point I wanted to try to sleep. Mistake. I was hungry and found sleep almost impossible. The bed was comfy and I LOVED the pajamas (my fav so far). So another almost sleepless flight for me. LOVED the shower. The floor in the bathroom is heated, which is so nice after a shower. Also LOVED having such a huge bathroom on a plane. How do I go back to a regular plane bathroom? First world problems.

Emirates put me up at the lovely JW Marriott Marquis Business Bay (they usually use the Le Méridien near the airport, which isn’t that nice). I am SO glad to be here. My room is huge and very nice. I checked-in, got up to my room, dropped my bags and took the free shuttle to the Dubai Mall. I had a few stores I wanted to visit and also wanted to grab an Arabian spice blend (there is a small spice kiosk in the mall). The mall is so large it is overwhelming. I passed the aquarium this year and it looked very nice! Only stayed for 2 hours before heading back to the hotel (again on the free shuttle) for a free lunch at the hotel (courtesy of Emirates). It was buffet and it was okay, but free is free. Headed up to my room for a much needed 3 hour nap and a lovely shower. Then wandered around the lobby for a few mins, then to the free (courtesy of Emirates) buffet dinner. Had a very leisurely dinner and am now back in my room killing time until I leave for the airport in an hour for my 2:30am flight!

It is SO hot here it feels like the surface of the sun. Last year I said to myself that I’d never come back in September. Yet here I am and I find myself wondering if I lost my sanity. It’s just for a day this time, but I feel like I could melt on the pavement. Legit I’m not coming back in any month between May and December.

I shall try to post some pictures. IMG_1359.jpegIMG_1360.jpegIMG_1363.jpegIMG_1391.jpegIMG_1393.jpeg

Almost forgot to post the cod. Even the gravy was lumpy and I wanted to discard (spit out) the small piece of bokchoy that I tried and probably should have — it was also awful. For breakfast I started with the yogurt and granola and it was very good. Then I tried the French toast and it was…not sure what it was, but I didn’t like it. I then had a bowl of corn flakes because I could I didn’t think I could stomach either the mushroom omelette or scrambled eggs with chives. The freshly-baked croissants weren’t to my liking either. Maybe my tastebuds were off? Not sure. I wish I could say that the food was amazing, but it really wasn’t. Oh well. Maybe there will be another time.

Is it just me or does this look like awful? I’ve had much better meals on AA in biz class. I can say that the 2 small pieces of carrot and rice were okay.

IMG_1398.jpeg

Replying to myself here with specific questions about Royal Caribbean. Any way to use MR or UR for RC, besides just cashing out the points or using statement credit? Any tips or tricks for saving when paying cash? I am using a TA so already getting whatever perks she can offer.

Any other tips regarding cruising with RC are welcome - never cruised before.
Probably too late since you are already using a TA. We cruise quite frequently. So, I know what I want in a room when cruising. Just booked a Carnival Cruise for February. Had the CSP which I upgraded to CSR for this, as it made sense. The cruise with tips was $4300 (4 of us in a Havana Balcony Cabin). But I called Chase Cruise Dept and booked the room I wanted using only 286,000 points. So, saved about $1440.

I know many say not to book with Chase Travel - but I always buy Trip Insurance for cruises anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter