I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Will GCs work? Since Amex is normally so anti-GC, I was wondering if it would work.

I guess I'll find out. The terms don't seem to exclude. I think it'll credit but I suppose with Amex claw back risk is not zero if they want to call a closed loop GC cash equivalent.

Terms:
"Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents."

Not sure when this happened but the Chase Disney Visa cards have an increased sign up bonus for a limited time.

Until 12/04/23 -
Premier Visa ($49 AF) $400 statement credit after 1k in 3 months. Increased from the usual $300.

Visa ($0) $250 statement credit after $500 in 3 months. Increased from the current $150.

Offers are available at Chase directly or support links. The Disney Rewards and shopDisney sites are showing other offers. (Side note, don't let anyone sign up for a card through shopDisney. That always seems to be the worst offer.)

Just FYI if you know people who have been interested.
Thanks for posting this. This seems like a good time to have my kids apply for this. They are not acquiring more than one or two cards per year so no worries about 5/24. They all already have the CSP, so I think the Disney card makes sense.

I'm assuming the Premier also makes sense, and then downgrade after the first year?

I activated it earlier today and bought Chipotle GC from Staples online. They didn't have $20, so bought $15 and $5, but I forgot their GC can't be combined, so kind of annoying. I forgot they have Target too, think I'll do $10 x2 Target next month.
Ooh, I didn't even think of using it online. I'm so programmed on going in person for VGCs. I forgot they sell 3rd party GCs online.

Thanks! Admittedly I track for more than just CC tracking too - DH and I are probably about 3 years from retirement and tracking what we spend makes me feel much better about retiring earlier. When you know how much you spend, it's easy to be able to see if your retirement income will support your lifestyle or not!

I tend to get caught up with things like this though!

Oh yes, I’ve used YNAB since 2016. We just retired from professional full time careers (we do some very part time work now) and I’m sure I wouldn't have been able to retire, or feel comfortable retiring, without knowing where every penny went for the last 6+ years.

Maybe in my free time I’ll set up a spreadsheet and do a tab for each card, currency.

Best airline to travel from Greece back to the states on transferred points based on your experience? I've got both MR's and UR's.

I'm all over the place about this trip; however, I am trying not to be. Should be traveling IAH>CDG>ATH>IAH in June '24.

Thinking AirFrance on points for this )portion (with a free stopover - IAH>CDG>ATH
Unsure how to get home (ATH>IAH). Can pay cash (but don't want to lol).

Thank you!

Oh yes, I’ve used YNAB since 2016. We just retired from professional full time careers (we do some very part time work now) and I’m sure I wouldn't have been able to retire, or feel comfortable retiring, without knowing where every penny went for the last 6+ years.

Maybe in my free time I’ll set up a spreadsheet and do a tab for each card, currency.
1696512640899.png

1696512787768.png

Here's my two tabs that I use to track offers available and offers used (to make sure that I get the credit)

I struggle with how to put the credits in my budget though mainly. In the whole scheme of things it's definitely minor, but it's just my personality to want to make it right lol!

Something similar happened with the hotel I wanted in CA. It was 80k for weeks and when my FNC posted it had jumped to 181k with no standard awards. However, I am happy to report that setting up alerts worked. OpenHotelAlert, MaxMyPoint, and StayWithPoints let me know this week that the price went back down, and I was able to book my free night. Hopefully you will have similar luck.
wowza! I looked on openhotel just for giggles and the room I have booked is $400+ a night!!! Has anyone had luck calling Hilton to *change* the reservation, like removing a couple of days but keep the rest as is? And I'm guessing it would be near impossib;e to try to apply a FNC to one of those nights at this point..... I want to keep at least 5 days of my og res..... I may have to keep the whole 8 days if I can't change anything.

Thanks for confirming that Qatar first class flight should be a good intro to first class.

I tend to have this mentality (I think from traveling with kids for the past 25 years) that the vacation doesn't really start until we get at the "actual destination." But this is just the 2 of us for our 25th, and so I'm trying to shift that mentality and enjoy the experience of getting there. We have a bit of a pieced together itinerary to get to the Maldives, with stops in Amsterdam and Frankfurt for long enough to get into the cities for a bit, but not necessarily overnights. So, I couldn't get availability at WA Maldives (pipe dream), but had my choice between Conrad Rangali and the new Hilton Maldives Amingiri. Due to our arrival time, we were right on the cutoff of not making a seaplane and needing to overnight in Male. So ultimately we went with the Hilton Maldives Amingiri because it's new and they use a speedboat. We're splitting our time between and overwater suite villa and a beach villa, so we get a taste of each. We have several spa treatments planned, and also planned to do some open water snorkeling and perhaps hand line fishing.

I have been following your Maldives trip with interest. I noted a FT reviewer had positive things to say about the Amingiri's beach villa in comparison to RC's beach villa, which sounds like you loved, so hopefully we'll enjoy our experience as well.

PS, I get the impression Ben is pretty forthcoming, probably too much so, and I think he'd put a disclaimer out if Lufthansa had supported his review. One blogger I just can't read anymore if View from the Wing. It's like Daily Mail or TMZ for travel and points.
ITA about Ben. When I was staying at the Al Maha last year I met one of his staffers; he was traveling solo as was I, so we dined together a few times and did a few activities together. He was the nicest young man and spoke very highly of Ben and Ford.

I have read amazing things about Hilton Amingiri and have it on my radar for another Maldives trip (or maybe I'll send dd and her bf when she graduates from uni). I prefer a beach villa, not sure why. I'm just not comfortable staying over the water, but I realize that I am in the minority by a wide margin. I loved having a 'private' beach steps from my pool and used it every day to relax and read on the lounge chairs. My stay at the RC was amazing, but I should have done my trip in reverse -- started in Scandinavia, then spent 5 days recovering in the Maldives. Live and learn lol.

From Schipol you can catch a train that takes you right to Centraal Stn. From there you can walk to a few attractions or hop on the metro or one of the buses. It's super easy to navigate there. I LOVE Amsterdam and look forward to going back (hopefully in the spring). I've never visited Frankfurt, but I have read that it's also easy to reach city centre by public transport. Apparently they have very good apple wine -- I may be there in December and will let you know ;).

Best airline to travel from Greece back to the states on transferred points based on your experience? I've got both MR's and UR's.

I'm all over the place about this trip; however, I am trying not to be. Should be traveling IAH>CDG>ATH>IAH in June '24.

Thinking AirFrance on points for this )portion (with a free stopover - IAH>CDG>ATH
Unsure how to get home (ATH>IAH). Can pay cash (but don't want to lol).

Thank you!
I searched points.me on a random date in June and looks like all the options have high taxes. Ugh. Lowest points option is AA for 57.5k with transfer in LHR (taxes $376.00 -- also works with Alaska miles), then Turkish Air with a stop in Istanbul for 107k pts pp (taxes $425.00), AC for 133.4k pts with 2 stops (taxes $129). I have found many times that the airlines don't have the availability that points.me shows, so always check airline websites before transferring points. It might be better to position yourself in a city in Europe with more options (such as Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt, Munich, etc.).

Is it weird that P2 new CIP (that we are waiting on in the mail) doesn't show in his online account?

Just a reminder to keep checking your Amex offers. I added all new offers 2 days ago and
logged in today and there were 21 brand new ones. (of course none I could use but interesting anyway).

Also Doc had posted about a Chase offer of cash back from a flight/hotel buy. I was curious about that
and put in the last 4 of my cc numbers. I didnt see that but got offer of $5 back for paying utility bill and
5x points offer on my Hyatt card for groceries/gas/amazon. These weren't there couple weeks ago.

Trying to gather my thoughts about Stockholm. Loved it there -- a beautiful city and since they were neutral during WWII the Old Town has very well-preserved buildings from the 12thC, which is rare. Plenty of museums to keep you busy and shopping is great. I loved all of the islands, easy to escape the hustle and bustle of the city with a quick ferry ride. I went to the ABBA museum; first a caveat -- I like their music and have seen the Momma Mia Show -- but found I knew surprisingly little about them. Maybe it was the large tour group just behind me, maybe it was just me, but I didn't love the museum. It was okay -- I wouldn't go back. I toured the Vasa Museum and found it fascinating -- I was shocked at the huge line outside when I left -- it was super long, must be a popular attraction. I liked Skansen and would visit there again. Royal Palace is worth a visit; I did a 2 hour tour of Old Town and learned a lot -- would def recommend this. Funny story -- I bought a glass spice jar with lingonberry salt -- while packing I dropped it on my foot. The top of my foot is now 6 shades of purple and blue. Who knew that was possible?

I managed to stick to my carry-on luggage and am going to try to continue to travel this way. I found that I don't need nearly as much clothing as I previously thought. I bought 4 Patagonia capilene shirts (2 s/s and 2 l/s) that were recommended on here -- washed them in the bathroom sink a few times and they dry in a few hours. Game changers, those shirts are!

From Bergen I did 'Norway in a Nutshell', which is a train to Voss, bus to Gudvangen, ferry to Flam, train to Myrdal (supposed to be one of the prettiest train rides in the world), then train back to Bergen. I booked this on my own to save money -- it was easy to do since the various forms of transport all line up perfectly. Loved this, but the weather wasn't great. I also booked a trip from Flam to Stegastein viewpoint and we got lucky because the sun came out on our way up the long and winding road (anyone who suffers from motion sickness may want to take a tablet before getting in the van). Totally worthwhile and highly recommend this journey.

I received pics that our guide on the Preiskestolen Hidden Trails took. Wanted to share a few. I think I've said that my favorite place on this trip was Stavanger -- if you are thinking about going to Norway, this pretty little city would be at the top of my list. If you like hiking I'd stay 3-4 nights because the weather in Norway is unpredictable, so I'd allow for time if you need to change days for a scheduled hike.

Stavanger Old Town

Bergen Old Town 2.JPG

Flam to Myrdal Train

Flam to Myrdal Train.jpg

View from Stegastein Viewpoint
Stegastein Viewpoint.jpg

View of Preikestolen from Hidden Trails hike (which goes way above the rock)
Preikestolen Pulpits Rock Sept 2023.JPG

Contemplating the view
Preikestolen Puplits Rock Sept 2023 2.JPG

There is an orderly line to get this pic without people in the background, which thankfully wasn't long when we were there
Preikestolen Pulpits Rock Sept 2023 1.JPG

wowza! I looked on openhotel just for giggles and the room I have booked is $400+ a night!!! Has anyone had luck calling Hilton to *change* the reservation, like removing a couple of days but keep the rest as is? And I'm guessing it would be near impossib;e to try to apply a FNC to one of those nights at this point..... I want to keep at least 5 days of my og res..... I may have to keep the whole 8 days if I can't change anything.
You can go to your reservation and see if there's an option to modify your reservation on your own. If there's standard award availability at the pricepoint you booked it, there shouldn't be any issues with modifying (on your own, if that's an option) or calling to reduce the number of days. Pitfalls:
1. The points rate is higher now than when you booked. That might cause the rate to increase by decreasing days. Not ideal.
2. If you cancel and rebook, unless there is standard room award availability right now, don't assume your nights will return back to inventory for you to rebook. They may or may not.

I pay for TripIt Pro. Did it because it was only $29 last year and forgot to cancel before it renewed for $49. I just got an alert TripIt Pro: Travel credit may be available for MCO—
Sure enough, save $10/ticket.
Just sharing in case anyone is thinking about paying for the Pro account.
Curious about this.... how do you like them? Are they accurate with your trip planning etc? Do you save $ by using them, or more as a way to organize info?

Chase offers back via my laptop this morning!

Meanwhile I downloaded the APP to be able to see them and that was okay although I'm not a fan of dealing with stuff on my phone. In reality I've started to warm up to it a bit for my own convenience.

Guess my mind is younger than I think.

Last edited:
Curious about this.... how do you like them? Are they accurate with your trip planning etc? Do you save $ by using them, or more as a way to organize info?
I use it to keep all my trips organized. This is the first time it has saved me money.

I also use it to keep organized but I also find it really good at notifying me of flight schedule changes and gate changes, usually well before I get any official notification from the airline.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter