I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

whats the name of the one in paris?
It was the Marche de Noel; it's quite small but the vendors are all very good

European Christmas markets are also on my bucket list. Sounds like an amazing trip! Your TR has me wondering if I should stick to the idea of a river cruise or simply land and train down the line or both.
There are advantages of doing a river cruise, but I would not choose to visit the European Christmas markets that way. My favorite markets are: Nuremberg (by a decent margin), Salzburg, Heidelberg and Vienna -- I'd do a trip combining these places, or research other markets, chose your favorites and plan travel that way. Rudesheim market can easily be done in a half day, leaving enough time to train to Weisbaden and Mainz to see their markets. While I didn't price out a river cruise, I can tell you that my nights at the Westin Grand in Frankfurt were on average US$200./night and that included a full breakfast and access to the Club Lounge, which had a decent selection of food each night from 6-8:30 (excellent soup, salad, fresh breads, cheese and chicken and noodles to be added to soup -- could easily be a light dinner). For my stay at the Dress Code in Paris I paid in cash US$800 including breakfast for 4 nights (I used $300 Venture1 credit and a $100 credit from a travel promo to bring the OOP cost down). Another reason is that I might want to see some sites in places I'm visiting (other than the markets) and a river cruise doesn't allow any time for that. Then add that to the fact that I hate being on a tight time schedule when I'm traveling; I will only cruise to places that I can't get to any other way (i.e. Antarctica).

Paris markets are not great (seriously I wouldn't consider visiting Paris just to visit Christmas markets because they pale in comparison to other European cities), but the department store windows are AMAZING. Totally worth seeing IMO. And the decorations inside the large department stores are beautiful too. I don't need a reason to visit Paris -- I just love it there.

@LilSweetPeaPhoto The weather in Europe isn't that cold -- averaged around mid 40's to low 50s when I was there. I didn't wear either my cashmere sweater or Merino wool when I was there. Just a long-sleeve shirt (love Patagonia capilene), Arcteryx light jacket and goretex jacket. A waterproof jacket was essential because it rained a fair bit while I was there. Temps were similar last year in Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich and Vienna, minus the rain!

Gelleries Lafayette:
Galleries Lafayette.jpg

La Samarataine (maybe one of the most beautiful department stores I have ever been in, though I didn't buy anything because the prices went from a $480 Burberry cashmere scarf to a $25 phone case with not much in between!)

La Samarataine 1.jpg

La Samarataine 2.jpg

1 of the many Le Printemps windows:
Le Printemps window.jpg

Another Printemps window:

Another Printemps window.jpg
Eiffel Tower View.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone else stuck in Chase review for the SW elevated offer? Referred P2 on 12/1/23, got neither accepted nor denied and haven’t heard anything yet. I know 7-10 biz days is possible, but seems longer than normal. Thoughts/experiences recently?
DH just got an approval notice today for the SW priority he applied for 3 weeks ago. There was NOTHING online about his app, no notices or letters, if I clicked on application status it said there were no applications. $15,000 CL. I spent several hundred dollars this morning booking SW flights before he got the email. I hope since he applied under the 75,000 point offer he will still qualify. Now he has that card coming and the CIC he was approved for 2 days ago.

Amex is taking longer and longer for reimbursements, SUB/AU and offer postings--right now I'm expecting 10-12 days for airline, Dell, and phone credits (business Platinum or personal Plat for airline), so don't give up hope yet 😃
DW just got her biz platinum last week. According to the emails I received I enrolled her card in the Dell benefit around 3 hours before making a purchase. I made a purchase from dell.com that I wanted but only bought because of the credit. I haven't opened it yet because I wanted to have the option to return it for a refund if the credit doesn't post. These delays on dell and airline credits are stressing me out. I'm at 7 days as of today so I won't worry too much until next week.

We debated Europe last week and the Christmas markets. But I'm a sun/warm girlie. Especially when it's crappy here. Maybe next year we'll try those.

We almost pivoted from Cancun to Vegas. As a UNLV alum I was sad to hear what happened. It's a small campus. We likely would have been in Vegas the day it happened. I'm kinda shocked UNLV hasn't really sent any emails about the event.

I have said that 1- they need to stop pushing things like pre-check and clear. Those lines are getting longer than regular TSA. 2- They need to make you do a mock run through pre-check to get it vs paying a fee and answering 3 questions. The amount of people I've had in front of me in precheck that don't know what they are doing. Like I had a guy who didn't know how to walk thru the scanner. He kept stopping under it. If I see a family w/ 900 items, I cut in front of them. And those damn crescent roll scanners SUCK! They get jammed up all the time.

Me too! I need to order mine, LOL.

My BF called Monday about his. They told him he should be getting everything in 7-10 days. So we'll see. I'm shocked because I earned mine w/ no issue. Also I didn't get the referral credit for referring him. Once all his processes I might go after those points. I know he used my link because I sent it to him, LOL.
i had GE ck before it was a credit on a cc so i feel that for sure they should do a 5 min demo. I don't know if I'm going to renew clear if I'm paying for my wife again i don't think its worth it. even with the credit.

My bonus just posted on my US Bank Biz Silver checking Account. There are no fees on this account - so assuming it is OK to transfer the $ back out of this account?

In that vein, I have:

Amex Bonvoy biz $125
Amex Bonvoy (2) $190
Chase Bonvoy Biz $99?
Hyatt $95
IHG $49
NavyFed Flagship $49
HHonors Surpass $95
Chase SP $95

Total = $797

Some cards have diminishing returns after the first year or two.

The 4 Bonvoy cards pay for free nights on my road trips. Usually get double in value, then add in a few offers from the cards and there's a little more value.

IHG is always a great return on $49 fee.

Hyatt is up/down. My fave Hyatt is no longer a spot for the 15K FNC, but this next one is already booked at MCO HYatt Regency. Last year's I got 10K for. Year before that, nada. 2 earlier years = $500 hotel nights. I 'think' I should close and reapply for this card and then I realize the spend gives me less than a new CIU/CIC, so I just keep it. For now.

Flagship is a 2% card and paid my Amazo.n Prime. I got it early when it came out and got a 50K sign up. I charge enough on this card to earn close to $300 cash back a year over the fee. Also cashed in on the precheck for family member.

HH Surpass was supposed to be a 1 year card and then they changed the terms and put the $50 per quarter on it, which now makes it a keeper. I'm trying for the gift card credit but even if that doesn't work I'll get the $50 by staying/eating/shopping at a Hilton.

Chase Sapphire Preferred was/is my UR transfer card, and the added $50 hotel credit, combined with offers and points earned pay the fee.

Cards I dumped: Amex Gold - after a few years it wasn't performing well.
Bonvoy Brilliant - they made this card too high end for my lifestyle. If I wanted a $650 fee I'd look for a PLat or a CSR for a bit less. I'd love to have 85K FNC, but just one wouldn't cut it and I'm basically a single player.

BOA - 2 of these. US Bank - 1, bye bye to both companies. I'm thinking of getting rid of my Costco Citi card also, but not the Exec account. The card is just extra baggage.
I totally forgot about my NavyFed Flagship card, yes that's a keeper too, free Amazon prime makes that card totally worth it.

And maybe we'll keep DH's surpass instead of my Hilton Biz.

My bonus just posted on my US Bank Biz Silver checking Account. There are no fees on this account - so assuming it is OK to transfer the $ back out of this account?
I don't have an answer, but you just reminded me I haven't done that yet.

I emptied the account immediately after receiving the bonus. It has sat at $0 ever since. No problems.

My new ink MSR will be met before the end of the year. How, I have no idea. Anyway, as I mentioned the other day looking for a new card. I am at 4/24 until spring, so would like to stay biz if possible. and I am too early for either of us to app with Chase. Don't want a large AF. The 48 month on the Citi AA biz, is that since bonus, or since closing card? I can see the last payment I made on that card was in 9/2019, so bonus would have been shortly after that. Dh was in 5/2019 for his last payment.
I see a US Bank biz card, the Leverage card. I have not heard anything about that, can you get a US Bank biz card with a "business"? Any other suggestions? Delta is the primary airline out of here, but the only Delta I have not had is the reserve, and I am not wanting that AF.

My new ink MSR will be met before the end of the year. How, I have no idea. Anyway, as I mentioned the other day looking for a new card. I am at 4/24 until spring, so would like to stay biz if possible. and I am too early for either of us to app with Chase. Don't want a large AF. The 48 month on the Citi AA biz, is that since bonus, or since closing card? I can see the last payment I made on that card was in 9/2019, so bonus would have been shortly after that. Dh was in 5/2019 for his last payment.
I see a US Bank biz card, the Leverage card. I have not heard anything about that, can you get a US Bank biz card with a "business"? Any other suggestions? Delta is the primary airline out of here, but the only Delta I have not had is the reserve, and I am not wanting that AF.
Have you looked through Doc's list?
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-current-credit-card-sign-bonuses/

Does anyone know how long it takes for Citi offers to credit?

I was looking at my tracking spreadsheet that ATT Fiber offer hasn't posted.

Also, can we downgrade DH's Citi Executive card to any no-fee card?

In case anyone has not looked at the Updated Disney Gift Card Deals and More thread today there are two new offers to purchase discounted Disney GCs.

The first is at Best Buy to purchase up to 3 $50 Disney GCs for $45 each in one transaction. Some have been able to make 2 transactions for a total of 6 GCs. If you have a business account you can purchase 9 GCs. No one knows if this offer is today only.

The second is at Giant Food Stores in the MD/DC/VA area. From 12/15 - 12/21 you can purchase $50 Disney GCs for $45 each.

Gifting post

I have been less and less enthused with the consumerism of the holidays. Also, there's tremendous waste, from packaging to clothes, etc that end up in landfills, so I'd really like to be less wasteful. We're buying less for everyone; probably half what we normally would and have asked that they don't buy any gifts for us; we don't need anything. So this year, for our young adult kids, we had a few rules for their gift lists:

vintage/antique/thrift OR artisan/handmade OR it's a keeper/you envision you'll own it for 10 years

Their lists have been really creative. This has honestly been the most fun gifting year in a long time. My son and his gf bought a house this year and they're really into MCM design, so they requested vintage art and vintage pyrex (lol, who knew we were supposed to hang on to that!). Others requested investment funds (smart!) and vintage sports apparel.
Maybe this isn't less sustainable if you run the numbers or do some fancy carbon footprint math, but I feel better about it.

Also, a few years back we bought many nesting hat boxes. This year, I've been able to almost exclusively use these. I do like a pretty present, so I pop on ribbon and a tag. Yes, they take up some storage, but worth it.

1702672498035.png

I love this thought process about gifts!!! I might steal it from you for next year, the ship has sailed for this year. We're traveling after Christmas this year and I told them that meant less gifts, which they were fine with, however, I did not hold up my end of the bargain. I am now mentally wrestling with the consumerism and waste of this season. Not to mention all I want to do right now is clean out every crevice of my house to streamline everything. All the clutter makes my anxiety skyrocket! I will do better in '24!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter