I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Hi, I'm new to all of this, but I just got a Chase Sapphire card (I was told it was good for beginners), & I'm wondering what's the best use of the points.? (hotel, flights, etc.)
Thanks for any insight.

A bit of an obscure question, but does anyone have any experience with the chase sapphire preferred trip insurance and paying for one-way airfare across multiple cards? I am looking to book three one way tickets, from my home to WDW, from WDW to Disneyland, and from Disneyland back home. I'm thinking about booking the outbound leg on my CSP, and wondering if it would safe to book the other two legs on different cards.

The language on the CSP benefits guide seems to indicate only a portion of the trip needs to be charged to the CSP for benefits to kick in. I would charge all hotels to my CSP so not too worried about those, but I definitely would like to have the trip delay and baggage insurance as there are multiple opportunities for those issues on this trip.

Baggage Delay: ...and the Cardholder charges all or a portion of the fare to his or her credit card Account and/or Rewards programs associated with the Account.
Trip Delay: ...and You charge all or a portion of a Common Carrier fare to Your credit card Account and/or rewards programs associated with Your Account.
Trip Cancellation/Interruption: ...and the Cardholder charges all or a portion of a Trip to his or her Credit Card Account and/or Rewards programs associated with the Account.

I feel fairly confident the first flight would be covered if booked on the CSP, but not sure if the insurance would kick in for the subsequent flights if booked on other cards. (I'm not planning on doing this, but if I were to book a nonrefundable hotel on a different credit card, would chase still reimburse me for this even if not paid for on the CSP?)

I'm not finding much anecdotal evidence for paying across multiple cards when searching online. Perhaps it would make sense to call and ask, but curious if anyone has had experience with this before? I feel like I've been burned before by being told something by a rep, only for that not to be the reality...I would simplify this and book everything on the CSP but I have a Venture X annual credit to use amongst other things, and not a lot of trips where it would make sense to use it.

Don't think this will work, due to this part:
"No benefit will be paid for any Eligible Travel Expense unless a portion of such Eligible Travel Expense has been charged to the Account."

Now if you could split payment, say charge $1 to the CSP and the rest to the other card for each flight, then that would work. But I don't know which airlines, if any, allows split payment on different cc.

Very helpful, thanks! It's along the my same line of thinking regarding saving UR for Hyatt and MR for more partners. We grabbed a lot of cc bonuses the past couple of years, while ignoring chase's 5/24 rule. Gained a lot of points, but sometimes regretted it when a nice intro bonus would surface for chase cards that we couldn't take advantage of.

BTW, how often do transfer bonuses happen for Air Canada or Krisflyer?

Here is a list of historical transfer bonuses. Those two seem to happen less frequently than some others.

Yeah, it seems inevitable whenever one goes 5/24 or above, a great bonus comes around. I know one strategy people use in two player mode is always keeping one player under 5/24.

We qualified for Hertz PC with Cap1X before Amex Plat. We booked with Capital One's own travel site, but when we went to pick up the car, there was no record of PC on our reservation. Waited quite a while there before a manager allowed us to choose a vehicle from PC. She said that one needs to be able to enter the PC # in the travel portal for it to come through, which Cap1's site did not have.

This was their Hawaii location, which had several convertibles and quite a few Suburbans available. Have been hearing in recent months that many of their other locations have very limited PC selection.

Also, I'm pretty sure you do not need to use the Amex Plat to pay, and others have recommended using the CSR for better coverage.

Just in case you haven't heard, there is one other thing you should be aware of. There have been a number of reports regarding innocent Hertz renters getting arrested for stolen vehicles. Last year, CBS did several news reports on this - you can find them on YT (search Hertz Rental Nightmare). Different people, including a federal LE and a Hertz manager, spoke of being stopped by police and/or getting arrested because Hertz had reported the vehicles as stolen from months or years ago or due to renters keeping their vehicles too long or falling behind on payments. Hertz said the vehicles were no longer considered stolen, but they were still designated as stolen on LE records. One person was locked up for 30 days. Another said she lost her RE license for a year. Others have mentioned that this might impact your TSA record and that it's just not worth the risk until this issue is confirmed to be completely resolved. Don't mean to scare you, but I would really have second thoughts about renting from them at this time.

Thanks for the DP. I had heard this about Hertz PC via Cap1. Priceline did have an option to insert reward number, which is why I think in this case it did link. But I still think we won't be eligible. Was hoping for a hard to come by Jeep for our trip.

Yes, I've read the news reports about Hertz- really awful stuff! Statistically though, looks like there's been less than 400 instances (that's 400 too many) and Hertz averages 25 million transactions a year. I do think the new CEO has made correcting this a priority. Fingers crossed I don't live to regret my statistical analysis!

I'm still tracking on Autoslash as well, so in the end I may not even end up with Hertz!

GoC dried up at Kroger and then came back not too long ago, so I might recommend getting a big chunk while available. $5.95 fee per $200 gc. Since you're already familiar with Kroger GCs, you know you can save up to $35 on fuel per $250 in GCs when running a 4x fuel sale.

Fees per $1000= $29.75
Max fuel savings (if you can make use of 35 gallons) per $1000= $140
Net profit= $100.25

As recently as last month Kroger rolled expired points over for me to the following month.

Essentially, I buy the GoC gc from Kroger. Then I log into GoC where I have the kids 529 linked. I load the GoC card to a beneficiary. Then it takes a few days to move over from GoC to the 529 plan. I keep a spreadsheet to make sure everything goes ends up where it's supposed to. I have been using Ink MSRs for this purpose.

In WI the max 529 contribution per beneficiary is $3860. My state tax savings on that would be about $110. You may be able to contribute now for 2022, though I'm not totally sure. I also have never done this for myself, only my kids, so I don't know the waiting periods on using the 529.

Between the fuel points savings, the tax advantage and hitting MSRs, it's a real win.
I think our maximum is $4,000 per account but you can roll over what is left. So if I drop $20k in this year, I can spread the tax savings over five years. Our state tax rate is 0.0575 so it's not an insignificant savings. And I need to look but I think with 529s I can contribute now and use it for a qualified expense in a previous year. Last year I only had $2500 or so of expenses that weren't reimbursed tax free.

Both kids have two 529s each and ages ago I used GoC when ToyRUs sold them and somehow that was a CF category. This does seem like a pain and a bit to keep track of, but I've done worse to save less!

Thank you for the information!!! Very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to all of this, but I just got a Chase Sapphire card (I was told it was good for beginners), & I'm wondering what's the best use of the points.? (hotel, flights, etc.)
Thanks for any insight.
The best use of points is quite individual. Probably not the answer you were looking for. The great thing about UR is they can be used for transfer partners, or through the Chase travel portal. They are a very flexible currency depending on your travel plans. I personally try to get maximum value out them, i.e at least 1.5cpp. I personally like them for Hyatt redemptions. But my goodness you can use them for whatever you like. I have learned to build up a nice stash of points, and then start looking at my travel plans. Once I figure out flight options and accommodations I see where I can use my points for maximum value. The miles/points hobby can get really nitty gritty, but that requires a bit of learning and research. Once you have a trip in mind you can always ask the good people here how to maximize the points you have 😊

Should I be as concerned with credit limit as I am utilization? DH got approved for his CIU with a higher utilization %, but a comparatively lower overall credit limit. My credit limits total more than twice his. My utilization is obviously lower, but I’m still concerned my revolving CL is on the high end? They kept automatically increasing a couple of the limits on my cards. Should I lower some before applying? TIA

Should I be as concerned with credit limit as I am utilization? DH got approved for his CIU with a higher utilization %, but a comparatively lower overall credit limit. My credit limits total more than twice his. My utilization is obviously lower, but I’m still concerned my revolving CL is on the high end? They kept automatically increasing a couple of the limits on my cards. Should I lower some before applying? TIA
For Chase, you should try to keep your (or your DH) total credit <50% of income or $75k whichever is lower. You can use household income when applying. I sometimes proactively lower personal credit limits because they tend to be higher. For biz cards, I tend to get lower credit limits on new cards, so I usually leave them at least 5k per card so if I get a very low limit (Chase was giving most people 3k limits early in pandemic) I can move some credit limit from another biz card to the new card.

For Chase, you should try to keep your (or your DH) total credit <50% of income or $75k whichever is lower. You can use household income when applying. I sometimes proactively lower personal credit limits because they tend to be higher. For biz cards, I tend to get lower credit limits on new cards, so I usually leave them at least 5k per card so if I get a very low limit (Chase was giving most people 3k limits early in pandemic) I can move some credit limit from another biz card to the new card.
Thank you!! So, for the 50%, is this just revolving debt or all debt? We have 4 years remaining on our mortgage, basic utility bills, and our chase credit cards, but that’s it.

Thank you!! So, for the 50%, is this just revolving debt or all debt? We have 4 years remaining on our mortgage, basic utility bills, and our chase credit cards, but that’s it.
It's cc limits with Chase. So if you have cards with $5k, 10k and $20 k limits, your total would be $35k which would be good as long as you have >70k income. I don't think utilization is as big a deal unless all your cards are maxed. I have a CIC with a balance since my current interest rate is 0% on that card and I've been approved for additional cards. (Otherwise I pay all balances monthly).

Is anyone here familiar with Vegas?
U2 is supposed to be playing at the new MSG sphere this fall. I have been a massive U2 fan since I was 13. I missed the last few tours since I was either pregnant or had a new baby each time. I swore last time I missed it nothing would stop me from seeing them next time they played.

Now, reality is setting in. I’m from CT. I need to get flights. Hotel. It looks like the Sphere is near the Venetian. Is there anywhere else to look for lodging around there that we will be able to walk to the concert? Does Vegas have any childcare options? We are going to Mohegan Sun in CT and they have a kids club for the kids. Not sure otherwise what to do with the kids.

As much as I love Bono and want to go, Im thinking a quick weekend is going to cost me like $3000. Not sure that’s going to be worth it. I saw them in 2000 and 2004 so it’s not like I’ve never seen them….

It's cc limits with Chase. So if you have cards with $5k, 10k and $20 k limits, your total would be $35k which would be good as long as you have >70k income. I don't think utilization is as big a deal unless all your cards are maxed. I have a CIC with a balance since my current interest rate is 0% on that card and I've been approved for additional cards. (Otherwise I pay all balances monthly).

Thank you! Income is definitely >70k, but CC limits are currently at 70k, which I’m pretty sure is too high? Like I said, I initially had one approved for 25k, and I definitely don’t need any to be that high. Is there any danger in reducing the CC limits of individual cards? DH has CL of $28,500, which seems more reasonable. I have a very old Capital One that has a $4,000 CL. I seldom use it. I only use it periodically because it’s my oldest card. Will reducing that, which is my oldest CC, to say $1,000 affect my credit score?

Thinking to add the Delta Reserve Amex card. I have two offers. New card and get 100,000 miles after spending $6k (which is no problem to spend); or upgrade my Delta Gold and get 5,000 miles and 5,000 MQMs after spending $2k. I'm basically just starting to try and build status, I have zero MQMs or MQDs and 135,000 miles. The Reserve has an MQD waiver and gives 10k or 15k MQMs after hitting spending limits.

Thanks for any insight.
Which Sapphire Card, there are three. I have the Preferred and generally use my points for either SW plane tickets or Hyatt hotel rooms on my business trips for my side hustle. Just this morning I booked my flights to MCO in October on points. I usually get 1.6 cents per point on SW redemption and 2.8 cents per point for Hyatt redemptions.
Thanks for the DP. I had heard this about Hertz PC via Cap1. Priceline did have an option to insert reward number, which is why I think in this case it did link. But I still think we won't be eligible. Was hoping for a hard to come by Jeep for our trip.

Yes, I've read the news reports about Hertz- really awful stuff! Statistically though, looks like there's been less than 400 instances (that's 400 too many) and Hertz averages 25 million transactions a year. I do think the new CEO has made correcting this a priority. Fingers crossed I don't live to regret my statistical analysis!

I'm still tracking on Autoslash as well, so in the end I may not even end up with Hertz!
Known issue with Cap1 and been happening since they rolled out their travel portal. If you log in to your account on Hertz and the rental is there it is linked and you should be able to go out to the garage and have them check your docs at the gold canopy hut. I'm personally much more concerned about the companies charging me for gas based on their bad sensors than I am about Hertz and these while horrific, statistically rare issues that almost all involve extending the rental by phone.

Is anyone here familiar with Vegas?
U2 is supposed to be playing at the new MSG sphere this fall. I have been a massive U2 fan since I was 13. I missed the last few tours since I was either pregnant or had a new baby each time. I swore last time I missed it nothing would stop me from seeing them next time they played.

Now, reality is setting in. I’m from CT. I need to get flights. Hotel. It looks like the Sphere is near the Venetian. Is there anywhere else to look for lodging around there that we will be able to walk to the concert? Does Vegas have any childcare options? We are going to Mohegan Sun in CT and they have a kids club for the kids. Not sure otherwise what to do with the kids.

As much as I love Bono and want to go, Im thinking a quick weekend is going to cost me like $3000. Not sure that’s going to be worth it. I saw them in 2000 and 2004 so it’s not like I’ve never seen them….
What I'm going to consider walking distance might be different from yours. Seeing where the Sphere is, the Venetian would be my first choice. Also close are the Wynn, Linq, Harrahs, Caesar's and the Mirage. There are non-strip hotels that are close that might be cheaper than the strip, sometimes not.

Thinking to add the Delta Reserve Amex card. I have two offers. New card and get 100,000 miles after spending $6k (which is no problem to spend); or upgrade my Delta Gold and get 5,000 miles and 5,000 MQMs after spending $2k. I'm basically just starting to try and build status, I have zero MQMs or MQDs and 135,000 miles. The Reserve has an MQD waiver and gives 10k or 15k MQMs after hitting spending limits.
If the spend isn't a problem I would get the Reserve and either close the Gold or downgrade to the Blue. What is it you expect to get out of status with Delta? In most cases it's not worth it to chase status. The opportunity cost of choosing better earning cards after the SUB outweighs the benefits.

Southwest open flights today through Nov 4th. I was able to get my flights back from Portland booked. I had this trip planned last year, and cancelled due to injury. Flights this year are about 6k points higher. Ouch. Hopefully they will come down before the trip Date.

I saw a banner on the southwest website on the Midwest weather. Quite a few Midwest airports they expect delays/cancellations today and Fri. We are flying out on Sat to Albuquerque through Austin. Hopefully no impact to us but safe (and completed) flights for anyone flying through there.

If the spend isn't a problem I would get the Reserve and either close the Gold or downgrade to the Blue. What is it you expect to get out of status with Delta? In most cases it's not worth it to chase status. The opportunity cost of choosing better earning cards after the SUB outweighs the benefits.
I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out. I mainly collect Chase URs and use URs for cheap flights. We also collect Bonvoy and chase status there, in part as it helps with MVC room priorities, and room upgrades. I'm looking at what next cards to go for (a) more Chase (b) collect airline miles like Delta (c) more Bonvoy. I don't think I want to have a new system to follow in Amex points. We don't travel enough to try and collect points at another hotel chain.

I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out. I mainly collect Chase URs and use URs for cheap flights. We also collect Bonvoy and chase status there, in part as it helps with MVC room priorities, and room upgrades. I'm looking at what next cards to go for (a) more Chase (b) collect airline miles like Delta (c) more Bonvoy. I don't think I want to have a new system to follow in Amex points. We don't travel enough to try and collect points at another hotel chain.
Personally I would go with more agnostic points, either deeper into UR, MR or Cap1 points. Personally I use my Gold card most of the time, and then transfer those MR to Delta for rewards flights. I very rarely pay actual money for flights, I either travel on OPM or on points. I collect points in both UR and MR. UR is SWA and Hyatt, MR is Delta and occasionally a top up with Hilton.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter