• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Uber is really expensive from Lexington to Louisville and there aren't really any shuttle services. The university does have shuttles at Thanksgiving and Christmas to Cincinnati and I think Louisville, but there are only a few each day and you have to go to the football stadium to catch it. I don't think they run them for spring break. So Lexington is really my best bet. This will be his last flight (if he goes back next year he will have his car).
I live in this area and my friend flies Allegiant out of Lex all the time to FL. She's a travel snob like me, but doesn't mind slumming it in Allegiant since it's out of her hometown and a direct flight. I guarantee you there are thousands of kids driving from Lex to Louisville for spring break. If Louisville flights are a better option, he can probably easily catch a ride with someone he knows if he asks around.
Cautionary tale... a tale of "what not to do"...

My husband went to Kroger Saturday evening to buy Airbnb gift cards because they're 4x's fuel points right now. He purchased two - one for $500 and the other for $277. He forgot to give our loyalty number to the clerk before purchasing and turned around to ask if they could enter it directly afterwards. They wouldn't help... neither the clerk or the manager that evening would/could refund the money or do anything to help.

He then either lef them on the counter or they were stolen from the shopping cart or something in the realm of that. However it happened - they're gone. And he didn't realize it until Sunday morning. We went to Kroger, searched for them, asked customer service (where he bought them, but of course they're not there), scoured through all of the shopping carts. Nothing.

Kroger would not reverse them and Airbnb can't help either since we don't have the physical cards. I called today to ask Kroger customer service for the fuel points to be added to my account and they can only refund a max of 500 points.

Just a huge fail all around. My husband is upset. I feel bad for him because he tries so hard...

If anyone has any ideas -- I'm listening!!
I am so sorry this happened to you guys and can relate to how he's feeling. I spent a day at Disney thinking I had lost a $500 gc and it was sickening.

How frustrating! I don't know if this would work, but I guess you can't contact the credit card and they might possibly have some recourse if they were stolen??

I'm sorry this happened. Does he have the receipt or the activation receipt? I would hope Kroger can trace it from that.

I was going to 2nd what @wanderlust7 said about a receipt, I was thinking you could pull it up in the app, but if he didn’t use the loyalty card then that won’t work. It would seem that you’re kind of out of luck here. Unfortunately you have no proof that you don’t have the gift cards. These stores are often scammed by nefarious people, and innocent people like yourself suffer the consequences. I don’t think you have any recourse here seeing as the gift cards were “misplaced.” My heart goes out to you guys, and I’m hoping maybe someone can chime in with a brilliant solution.

I live in this area and my friend flies Allegiant out of Lex all the time to FL. She's a travel snob like me, but doesn't mind slumming it in Allegiant since it's out of her hometown and a direct flight. I guarantee you there are thousands of kids driving from Lex to Louisville for spring break. If Louisville flights are a better option, he can probably easily catch a ride with someone he knows if he asks around.

I am so sorry this happened to you guys and can relate to how he's feeling. I spent a day at Disney thinking I had lost a $500 gc and it was sickening.

I appreciate all of your comments. Unfortunately, my husband is a "cash" person and paid cash. So - no recourse with a credit card company. Sigh.

Yes, I do have the receipt and the gift card receipt, but neither Kroger or Airbnb will do anything to help. Sigh again.

It's a huge loss -- and a huge eye opener for my husband who does tend to have too many irons in the fire sometimes and doesn't pay attention 100% of the time because of that.

The money (on the gift cards) is absolutely gone so onward we go. I went in on Sunday and bought another set of gift cards for the same amount, used my credit card, used my loyalty number, got the fuel points and plan to "just keep swimming"!:fish:

This is killing me I don't hit 24 months till Feb
quoting myself to double check this detail...... if I app'd for this card before offer ends (12/11) and then didn't hit MSR till a day or 2 after my "24 months from bonus date" (the date they got dropped into my account,bc I can't recall the actual date I saw them on my cc acct page and I closed it) would that work? Or no b/c I can't APP until 24 months after getting bonus?

I appreciate all of your comments. Unfortunately, my husband is a "cash" person and paid cash. So - no recourse with a credit card company. Sigh.

Yes, I do have the receipt and the gift card receipt, but neither Kroger or Airbnb will do anything to help. Sigh again.

It's a huge loss -- and a huge eye opener for my husband who does tend to have too many irons in the fire sometimes and doesn't pay attention 100% of the time because of that.

The money (on the gift cards) is absolutely gone so onward we go. I went in on Sunday and bought another set of gift cards for the same amount, used my credit card, used my loyalty number, got the fuel points and plan to "just keep swimming"!:fish:
Last desperation attempt, since you have the receipt and activation slip, contact the GC issuer to report it lost. They may be able to look it up to replace it. Depends on how much info is on the receipt and what their policies are. But worst thing is just out a bit of time trying. Since you have new GCs, look for a number to call for support issues on the back of those.
Both Kroger and Airbnb have limited responsibilities in this type of transaction. Kroger is just a reseller on behalf of GCM/BHN. Once they sell and activate it their part is over. Airbnb has the agreements with the issuer of the cards and expects them to be responsible for fulfillment. Airbnb is expecting to accept payment from the card and not much else. From my basic understanding, anything outside of that falls on the issuer, which seems to be where you are. Good luck!

Time for my annual - what to get a 12-year-old boy for Christmas that isn’t a computer game related gift card?
Any suggestions?
My boy is almost 11 and depending on your budget, he is huge into shoes right now! We spend a day at Disney and he spends the day gawking at everyone’s LeBron’s, Curry’s, Jordan’s etc. 😂 but they can be pricy, so if you decide to go that route, use Rakuten or something for some cash back. He also likes the National Geographic science kits off of Amazon for a much more budget friendly option.

Last desperation attempt, since you have the receipt and activation slip, contact the GC issuer to report it lost. They may be able to look it up to replace it. Depends on how much info is on the receipt and what their policies are. But worst thing is just out a bit of time trying. Since you have new GCs, look for a number to call for support issues on the back of those.
Both Kroger and Airbnb have limited responsibilities in this type of transaction. Kroger is just a reseller on behalf of GCM/BHN. Once they sell and activate it their part is over. Airbnb has the agreements with the issuer of the cards and expects them to be responsible for fulfillment. Airbnb is expecting to accept payment from the card and not much else. From my basic understanding, anything outside of that falls on the issuer, which seems to be where you are. Good luck!
I have the two new ones in my hand. They're not actually even physical gift cards. They're simply hard card stock with numbers printed on them. No physical hard gift card inside of the packaging because the packaging itself has the numbers printed on it. It was a GREAT thought though - and I imagine that it would be worth it to try this with physical gift cards! Thank you all for your input!

Are you in the air yet? Or at least heading for takeoff? Safe travels.
Yes we landed around 11ish. Food was okay (I played it safe and had the chicken for dinner). The FAs were amazing about serving the food as quickly as possible once we were in the air and the seat belt sign was off.
I got the scoop from one of them this morning. It was a young adult that was traveling home to Paris with her mom. When we were de-icing she had “an incident” and said she needed to leave the plane. By the time we were at the gate she had changed her mind, but AC made her and her mom get off the plane and they’ll have to find their own way to Paris. There was another passenger that got off because she was heading here to write an exam this morning, which she was going to miss due to the delay. I think everyone else stayed on the plane.
Landing was uneventful, there was no line at all at Passport Control; I hopped on the Roissy bus and was at my hotel (the Dress Code, of course!) within 1h15m of landing. I spent the day shopping and wandering. I went to 2 Christmas markets and they were very uninspiring. Tomorrow I’m heading to Le Ville Village (part of the AmEx plat Spend France offer), a designer outlet mall just outside of Paris (it’s close to Disney Paris). I’ll be taking the RER both ways (so easy!). Depending on when I get back I’ll head to Le Printemps to use more of the Spend France (spend $200 get $40, plus the hotel has a code for 5% off). For dinner I have a reservation at Le Soufflé!
I’m pretty beat so I’ll be turning in shortly.

DH applied for a SW card a few weeks ago, got the 7-10 day message but we never received a letter. It is very rare for him to get denied, but I had an epiphany while in the shower today (where I do my best thinking!) We leased a car in June and the lease is in his name, so I'm guessing that may have added to his 5/24 count? Should have a personal card dropping off in the next few months so may try again then.

DH applied for a SW card a few weeks ago, got the 7-10 day message but we never received a letter. It is very rare for him to get denied, but I had an epiphany while in the shower today (where I do my best thinking!) We leased a car in June and the lease is in his name, so I'm guessing that may have added to his 5/24 count? Should have a personal card dropping off in the next few months so may try again then.
A car lease wouldn’t add to his 5/24 count. Are there any messages in his Chase online account about the application?

Time for my annual - what to get a 12-year-old boy for Christmas that isn’t a computer game related gift card?
Any suggestions?
My go-to boy gifts were always either Legos, a sporting good store GC, or a Target GC. For smaller boys I could find things like Matchbox cars and stuff like that, but it's harder as they get older.
Yes we landed around 11ish. Food was okay (I played it safe and had the chicken for dinner). The FAs were amazing about serving the food as quickly as possible once we were in the air and the seat belt sign was off.
I got the scoop from one of them this morning. It was a young adult that was traveling home to Paris with her mom. When we were de-icing she had “an incident” and said she needed to leave the plane. By the time we were at the gate she had changed her mind, but AC made her and her mom get off the plane and they’ll have to find their own way to Paris. There was another passenger that got off because she was heading here to write an exam this morning, which she was going to miss due to the delay. I think everyone else stayed on the plane.
Landing was uneventful, there was no line at all at Passport Control; I hopped on the Roissy bus and was at my hotel (the Dress Code, of course!) within 1h15m of landing. I spent the day shopping and wandering. I went to 2 Christmas markets and they were very uninspiring. Tomorrow I’m heading to Le Ville Village (part of the AmEx plat Spend France offer), a designer outlet mall just outside of Paris (it’s close to Disney Paris). I’ll be taking the RER both ways (so easy!). Depending on when I get back I’ll head to Le Printemps to use more of the Spend France (spend $200 get $40, plus the hotel has a code for 5% off). For dinner I have a reservation at Le Soufflé!
I’m pretty beat so I’ll be turning in shortly.
I'm glad you finally got to Paris. I have a friend who goes to that outlet every time she is in Paris - she's found some amazing deals over there. Happy shopping!

I saw them. They are very pretty!!! We never stay in a 1 bedroom anymore, now that only two of us go at a time. I love the new look of those though!
I'm doing a one bedroom in January 2025. Already started that process. Couldn't get in the line for a studio.

I'm doing a one bedroom in January 2025. Already started that process. Couldn't get in the line for a studio.
I need 3, yes 3 studios in January 2025!!
I am trying to walk a standard studio for November 2024 and I have no idea how that even happens, I can NEVER get the first day even at the very first booking minute.

Any suggestions?
My son is 14 this year but his list includes a new soccer ball, a hockey jersey, the requisite soccer jerseys from his favorite team, a phone cord, a bag of pistachios and chocolate covered pretzels. 🤣 He also really likes it when I get him a box of snacks that I allow him to choose from at will. (It doesn't work if you have a kid that will eat everything at once but my kid is pretty good at moderating himself).

I have the two new ones in my hand. They're not actually even physical gift cards. They're simply hard card stock with numbers printed on them. No physical hard gift card inside of the packaging because the packaging itself has the numbers printed on it. It was a GREAT thought though - and I imagine that it would be worth it to try this with physical gift cards! Thank you all for your input!
Every store I know today has a camera centered on the cashier’s station/drawer because of concerns with employee theft. Could you ask the manager to review security to see what actually happened during your husband’s transaction? His receipt has the time stamped on it so it wouldn’t take long to go right to that moment to see if someone took them, he left them in the cart, they fell out, etc. I’m so sorry you had to go through it though! I know it’s tough.

Need advice about Citi cards. I have the premier and the $95 AF is due this week. Should I cancel or downgrade?

My instinct is to cancel because I don't use the card but it looks like there is a no-fee card that I could downgrade to (although I'm not sure I would use that one either). Is there any advantage to downgrading rather than canceling?

Any suggestions?

We're in the same boat for our 12 year old son. He's no help. We're considering a new monitor (he's into online gaming) and maybe a nice chess set. We also got him a Godzilla action figure (he's ready into Godzilla).

My son is 14 this year but his list includes a new soccer ball, a hockey jersey, the requisite soccer jerseys from his favorite team, a phone cord, a bag of pistachios and chocolate covered pretzels. 🤣 He also really likes it when I get him a box of snacks that I allow him to choose from at will. (It doesn't work if you have a kid that will eat everything at once but my kid is pretty good at moderating himself).

My daughter wants a Messi jersey, do you have a recommendation for where you buy your son's jerseys?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter