I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

My Amex gold annual fee will hit next month. I was planning on cancelling bc I just never really use Amex and don’t find the fee worth it. Got retention last year.

Just logged on and there is an offer to upgrade to platinum for 100,000MR for $6000 spent over 6 months. Kind of tempted. Can definitely use the airline credit. Not sure about the hotel credit but hopefully.
I wish I could get a 100k offer, I'd jump on it. Been trolling for an Amex Plat offer for a long time but I only ever get 80k offers.

I use credit cards whenever I can also.

My bathroom remodeling company (a large company, not a small outfit) charges a 4.9% credit card processing fee, so check payments it is.
Yes, I’ve had contractors or construction companies initially include a credit card processing fee in their contracts. I’ve usually been successful in negotiating to get those fees removed.

Last edited:
Yes, I’ve had contractors or construction companies initially include a credit card processing fee in their contracts. I’ve usually been successful in negotiating to get those fees removed so that the fee is removed.
Good for you. I usually blame my 12 years of Catholic school upbringing to make me a rule follower, not to challenge things.

I still feel guilty taking advantage of Chase business cards for their great sign up bonuses by churning them!

I use credit cards whenever I can also.

My bathroom remodeling company (a large company, not a small outfit) charges a 4.9% credit card processing fee, so check payments it is.
Id offer to buy the hardware unless they gave you a big discount for the project.

I just need to vent. You may recall that I inadvertently got my husbands first Biz card locked for fraud because I panicked and did the stop payment.

Well... we are going to miss the SUB now because of that and the time it took him to call them and get it sorted. We would have to have over $3K posted before 2/4 and the CL on the card is only $3K to begin with.

At least I got the support points, I guess.

I just need to vent. You may recall that I inadvertently got my husbands first Biz card locked for fraud because I panicked and did the stop payment.

Well... we are going to miss the SUB now because of that and the time it took him to call them and get it sorted. We would have to have over $3K posted before 2/4 and the CL on the card is only $3K to begin with.

It’s frowned upon, but you can ‘cycle’ the credit. Which means charging $3k, paying it off, then charging another $3k. You have enough time to do it, which is what I’d recommend. The points are too valuable to at least not try. I’m guessing that he doesn’t have another account to transfer credit from? If he does, that would make it easier to meet the MSR.

I’m going to post my thoughts on the Cape Fahn. If this stay were cash I would be very unhappy; however I am going to base my thoughts on the stay being on points.

First, this resort comes across as very penny-pinching. There is saving money, then there is looking downright cheap to your guests and this one definitely comes across as the latter. For example, if you want to take the slippers from the room home with you (previously used — they wash and re-use them and don’t even get me started on how unsanitary that is 🤮), it’s going to cost you $10.00. And they are gosh awful slippers, frankly you couldn’t pay me to take them. Another example, the a/c in the restaurant was off at dinner. This is the tropics and since it was raining outside, everyone was eating indoors, so it was probably over 90 degrees in the restaurant. Massively uncomfortable. Breakfast is not some great spread — I find it very lacking. They have a few kinds of fruit, bread and a toaster, cereal, baked goods, yogurt and some fresh juices. Then a few items you can order from the menu. I asked for a smoothie yesterday and was told they don’t have any. The shaving kits don’t have shave cream, just a razor. I used the shaving kit at both the Rosewood and the Inside House and both had a razor and shaving cream.

The service is what I will describe as very “hands off”. Like you have to find someone to ask for your bill 30 mins after you finished dinner because the wait staff is sitting behind the bar on their phones (this happened the last 2 nights). Likewise sitting by the beach, when you first sit down they bring you ice water and some fruit. Then you don’t see anyone again for the remainder of the day.

The majority of the staff don’t speak English. No exaggeration. It seems a lot speak Mandarin as their second language, but definitely not English. This makes it extremely hard to communicate with them. Even at reception English is not understood. Yesterday I went to Fisherman’s Village, which is a nice place to wander the streets for an hour or so; it’s a 20 min cab ride from the hotel. To get to and from the hotel you have to take a boat (high tide) or huge 4x4 (low tide) across the water. I was told when I got here not to walk because there are rocks and you can cut your feet in this part of the crossing. Anyways when I got back to the “lounge” last night I called for the 4x4 (low tide) and the reception told me to walk across, in the dark. I asked for the 4x4 and he could not understand me. It wasn’t until another couple were dropped off at the lounge that spoke Mandarin spoke to reception and they finally said they’d send the 4x4. Like WTH?

Inconsistent service. First night no treat left at turndown. Next 2 nights small treat bags left (6 x chocolate covered almonds and last night some chocolate peanut treats). Then tonight nothing. I was here when turn down was done and when I asked he had no clue what I was saying.

This is a first. Went to brush my teeth and housekeeping must have tossed my toothbrush and toothpaste. I have no clue why but I sure hope it’s something that never happens again. Luckily there is a toothbrush kit in the villa.

The Cape Fahn is on a ”private island”, directly across from a super touristy part of Koh Samui. I mentioned previously that you can walk across in low tide because the water is very shallow (it took me maybe 5-7 mins when I went across on my first night). It seems that a lot of people from the mainland resorts like to walk across and stare at the guests staying here (the pool is right on the beach). I have seen several wander right up the private residence, which is adjacent to the pool, just across a shallow water crossing. Yesterday I saw someone lie in the hammock belonging to the Cape Fahn for a good 2 hours before wandering back across the water. There is security, but he is rarely there to stop anyone. If I had an iota of daytime sun by my villa pool I wouldn’t be at the main pool.

I must mention what they call the gym. It is a teeny tiny space. Like if there are more than 4 people in there it’s going to be awkward. It contains 2 treadmills, an elliptical, a recumbent bike and another bike, all from probably 1990ish. There are free weights and a bench press machine. That’s it. Barely any floor space to stretch or do floor exercises and it would be impossible to do so if there were anyone else in the space. The first morning I went and the a/c was off; I had no clue how to turn it on, and inside the gym was as hot as it was outside. But I worked out anyways. Then a man and wife came in and he knew where to find a remote to turn on the a/c, which helped a bit, but I was already 45 mins into my workout when they arrived. Thankfully it has been on yesterday and this morning. They have a weighted hula hoop there, which I really enjoy, but there is no chance you can use it if there is anyone else in the gym due to the lack of floor space. Heck I had to do push ups between the elliptical and one of the treadmills this morning (and there wasn’t much space) because there was someone else there and that was the only space where it was possible to do them without her over tripping me.

On a redeeming note, the bed is very comfortable and the food I’ve had at dinner has been good.

I could go on, but I’m sure my point has been made. I would not come back to the Cape Fahn, points or not. I’d go to the Conrad, or try another island. If anyone wants to visit I’d advise you to temper your expectations. I read some blogs before coming that probably had comped stays (DUH) and was expecting so much more. I need to stop reading blog reviews, especially those that have their stays comped.

Last edited:
I posted yesterday about my fear of giving my credit card info to random workers.

Well, the plumbing/heating bill ended up being high enough that I decided that I needed to get over my fear and charge it to a credit card. It would have been stupid to let that spend go to waste.

So I put it on a card that earns miles, but not the one that I'm using to book a trip later this year. I don't want that card to get messed up.

Baby steps LOL.

Agree with @*WDW*Groupie* I've cycled once in a statement period and it's been fine. After you make the payment, it takes about 2 days for the credit limit to reflect that.

If the issue is having enough spend in time, you can consider charging something easily refundable, then making up the spend slowly. It's not ideal, but Chase is not known to clawback, so it's better than missing the SUB. I would not do this with Amex.

It’s frowned upon, but you can ‘cycle’ the credit. Which means charging $3k, paying it off, then charging another $3k. You have enough time to do it, which is what I’d recommend. The points are too valuable to at least not try. I’m guessing that he doesn’t have another account to transfer credit from? If he does, that would make it easier to meet the MSR.

Agree with @*WDW*Groupie* I've cycled once in a statement period and it's been fine. After you make the payment, it takes about 2 days for the credit limit to reflect that.

If the issue is having enough spend in time, you can consider charging something easily refundable, then making up the spend slowly. It's not ideal, but Chase is not known to clawback, so it's better than missing the SUB. I would not do this with Amex.

I'd be out buying up gift cards, depending on which biz card it is, CIU or CIC, or CIP.

CIC or CIU - a few or a Couple of $500 Visa Gift cards from Staples. If the fee free comes around this week coming, buy the $200 ones on the 28th. We will know in a day or two.

Grocery store where I buy most groceries - another 1K or more in the store's brand cards depending on what I need for groceries over a 1 month period.

Utilities - pay in advance as much as allowed if allowed. My electric allows $600.

Amazon if you shop a lot there: buy Amazon gift (online through Amazon) card and load your account.

The above usually post quickly. Your mileage may vary.

Of course this varies by how a person feels about the whole thing but 'I' wouldn't let 90K + UR's get away with almost 12 days to work with.

Is there a way to SM for a Chase Business account?

I need to marge my business and personal accounts - do I have to call?

please remind what cycling is again? I know not to do it in general, but I want to be sure I'm not inadvertantly doing something....

please remind what cycling is again? I know not to do it in general, but I want to be sure I'm not inadvertantly doing something....

Not an expert, but this is my understanding. Say your credit line is $3000. You charge $2000, pay it off early, then charge $2000. You have $4000 in charges on the statement. That would be cycling.

But if you charge $2000, pay it off early, then charge $500. That would not be cycling.

Just to add to these comments: 1. I have cycled the credit limit a few times on Chase cards and never had any issues. That $3,000 CL is hard to work with sometimes. 2. I have charged something refundable (like a hotel stay), then made enough other purchases to cover the cost of the hotel stay, and then cancelled. I think so long as these two strategies are only occasional occurrences they are unlikely to raise any red flags. It is something of a risk but personally I have been okay with doing them a few times in a pinch.

Not an expert, but this is my understanding. Say your credit line is $3000. You charge $2000, pay it off early, then charge $2000. You have $4000 in charges on the statement. That would be cycling.

But if you charge $2000, pay it off early, then charge $500. That would not be cycling.
This is my understanding too. The CC company gave you $3,000 credit per month and it can seem risky to them if you spend more than $3,000.

This is my understanding too. The CC company gave you $3,000 credit per month and it can seem risky to them if you spend more than $3,000.
I don't follow that logic. The bank didn't give a $3K credit line per month; it's an ongoing $3K credit line that would need to be replenished as it is spent down. I haven't had to do much cycling but when I'm only extended a small credit line relative to a required spend, whether it's for a free night certificate or sign-up bonus, then I've never had issues with spending, paying for the charges, and spending again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter