I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Not an expert, but this is my understanding. Say your credit line is $3000. You charge $2000, pay it off early, then charge $2000. You have $4000 in charges on the statement. That would be cycling.

But if you charge $2000, pay it off early, then charge $500. That would not be cycling.
ohhhhhh. ok. I'm glad I asked! I was considering doing this on a new ink, to make a payment asap and then I could get to my msr faster..... I'll be careful not to do that now

Thanks to many of you who reached out with suggestions about judicious use of credit cycling. I think I have done that once or twice on a couple of my low CL CIC's but... considering we just went through the whole potential "Fraud" issue, I don't want to draw too many eyes to his accounts. Coupled with the fact that he was not thrilled about this venture from the get-go, I feel like I need to mark this as an L.

I did get the support bonus so the whole thing wasn't totally in vain.

I feel like I've let you all down!
You are ok to do it once in a while. I’ve done it when given a ridiculously low CL. They are looking for habitual cyclers or crazy amounts.

it is similar to the 3 month “rule” for getting cards. I’ve broken that when something is going away or when I go for a SW CP and get two cards in 30 days. As long as you aren’t trying that every 30 days, you are ok once in awhile.

How often do you all close credit cards? I know many say to just down grade to a no fee card, but I think I have too many Chase cards now. I used to always get instant approval and a high limit around 25-30K for each card. Last two cards did not get instant approval (both Biz cards). Just got a delayed approval on a CIC and a $5K limit. I currently have four Biz cards for my actual business, plus on under my business but in my wife's name. Plus six personal Chase cards. I really only use and need two of them. Of the personal, I have a Disney, Marriott, IHG, Freedom and Freedom Unlimited that get virtually zero use and that I don't need at all. The Disney and Freedom I have had for years so maybe I should keep those for the length of credit aspect, but I'm also thinking to do a reset, close a bunch of cards, and rebuild in time.

I'm also eyeing getting a Hyatt card (since my wife has the Marriott loyalty cornered and is considering the Bonvoy Brilliant card), an airline card (leaning United but our airport isn't a hub for anyone so none of the airlines are better than others), and perhaps moving into the Amex Platinum realm.

How often do you all close credit cards? I know many say to just down grade to a no fee card, but I think I have too many Chase cards now. I used to always get instant approval and a high limit around 25-30K for each card. Last two cards did not get instant approval (both Biz cards). Just got a delayed approval on a CIC and a $5K limit. I currently have four Biz cards for my actual business, plus on under my business but in my wife's name. Plus six personal Chase cards. I really only use and need two of them. Of the personal, I have a Disney, Marriott, IHG, Freedom and Freedom Unlimited that get virtually zero use and that I don't need at all. The Disney and Freedom I have had for years so maybe I should keep those for the length of credit aspect, but I'm also thinking to do a reset, close a bunch of cards, and rebuild in time.

I'm also eyeing getting a Hyatt card (since my wife has the Marriott loyalty cornered and is considering the Bonvoy Brilliant card), an airline card (leaning United but our airport isn't a hub for anyone so none of the airlines are better than others), and perhaps moving into the Amex Platinum realm.

Depends on the card. Not all cards have a no fee you can downgrade to or even if it does, it doesn't always make sense to downgrade.

I will close chase cards I don't want to keep after a year because I won't lower my cl on the cards I have and need to open more up. They are already as low as I'd want to go in case I need to move credit around my personal cards which I've done.

Other banks, I'd already had an AA Barclay's red that I downgraded to the no af, it's my 2nd oldest card and has a huge cl so it will always stay open. The red card I got a couple years ago got closed because of this, no need for it.

Amex is the only bank I consider everything when closing since it could put me in puj, but that and the 5 cc limit aren't reasons to keep a card with a high af that I won't use and I'm not going to downgrade to a card I haven't had. Even with some of their new family rules, we'll see offers that will get around that or that have all, so I'm still not going to downgrade if I haven't had it.

Depends on the card. Not all cards have a no fee you can downgrade to or even if it does, it doesn't always make sense to downgrade.

I will close chase cards I don't want to keep after a year because I won't lower my cl on the cards I have and need to open more up. They are already as low as I'd want to go in case I need to move credit around my personal cards which I've done.

Other banks, I'd already had an AA Barclay's red that I downgraded to the no af, it's my 2nd oldest card and has a huge cl so it will always stay open. The red card I got a couple years ago got closed because of this, no need for it.

Amex is the only bank I consider everything when closing since it could put me in puj, but that and the 5 cc limit aren't reasons to keep a card with a high af that I won't use and I'm not going to downgrade to a card I haven't had. Even with some of their new family rules, we'll see offers that will get around that or that have all, so I'm still not going to downgrade if I haven't had it.
Thanks. I think I'll drop the credit limit on a few, and then after a use up a couple of free hotel night, cut a few loose.

Separate question: anyone find value in airlines cards? We fly roughly four round trips per year. Two will be shorter, 2-3 hour flights. The other two vacation trips to a beach or Europe. I have a hell of a time finding decent reward flights and I was thinking having a cobranded card would open up more reward flights.

We have some longer layovers coming up this year, the soonest being in May we have two 4 hour layovers in Dallas. We currently have no lounge access. We'll be flying AA economy, domestic flights. Later in the year we'll likely have a long layover at Newark or LAX for international travel.
Is it worth it to ya'll to pay for a card with lounge access? What card would you guys get? I'm looking into Amex Hilton business, since that comes with Priority Pass visits and the AF is only $99. Is that my best option? TIA!

I normally close cards I don't need anymore after a year. I don't need more than 1 Ink and I also have CSR, so need to keep them. I am not one to downgrade unless it was something I was given points to Upgrade - then downgrade again after a year. (Like AMEX Delta Plat back to Gold).

I don't really use my cards for different categories, as I usually always have a SUB I am working on. So, no need for multiplier Inks or Freedoms.

I don't like to keep open cards just because they are no fee cards. If I don't need them then they are gone....

Separate question: anyone find value in airlines cards? We fly roughly four round trips per year. Two will be shorter, 2-3 hour flights. The other two vacation trips to a beach or Europe. I have a hell of a time finding decent reward flights and I was thinking having a cobranded card would open up more reward flights.

I find value in airline cards for the bonus. The benefits are just gravy. :)

We did get the United Explorer card to have access to the expanded award space. Downgraded to the no AF Gateway after a year and kept the access. It's nice to be able to see that, but it wasn't as great as I'd hoped. Of course it just depends on what you're looking for, YMMV.

We have some longer layovers coming up this year, the soonest being in May we have two 4 hour layovers in Dallas. We currently have no lounge access. We'll be flying AA economy, domestic flights. Later in the year we'll likely have a long layover at Newark or LAX for international travel.
Is it worth it to ya'll to pay for a card with lounge access? What card would you guys get? I'm looking into Amex Hilton business, since that comes with Priority Pass visits and the AF is only $99. Is that my best option? TIA!
Nope, best option for you is most likely to not pay any cc fee for lounge access. No PP at EWR, basically no PP at LAX. IF you want the VentureX Cap1 has a nice lounge at DFW but I still would only get it if you want the bonus and be aware it will hit your 5/24.

Minor PSA. If you request an Amex credit balance refund online and it errors out at the end, don't think it didn't go through. I requested a check first, it error out, so I tried transferring to a different card, error again. Turns out both went through and now I have a balance on the account I was trying to zero out. Autopay is on, so it's not a big deal, just dumb. 🙄

Minor PSA. If you request an Amex credit balance refund online and it errors out at the end, don't think it didn't go through. I requested a check first, it error out, so I tried transferring to a different card, error again. Turns out both went through and now I have a balance on the account I was trying to zero out. Autopay is on, so it's not a big deal, just dumb. 🙄

It's been that way for awhile because I had the same issue. I was going to just try later but then both credits transferred.

Which reminds me, is there a way to move credits on chase cards or do I just need to sm? It's only 4.50 and on a card I don't use without an offer so I'd rather not use it up. My fault for forgetting to check to see if the offer had posted before paying.

The Hilton biz SUB isn't great right now, so you might want to hold off on that.

If you have a card you can upgrade to the CSR, you can use the $300 travel credit twice on one $550 AF. That PP would come with non-lounge options that the Amex one does not. I see there's a couple PP lounges at DFW, couple Minute Suites and a restaurant.

It's been that way for awhile because I had the same issue. I was going to just try later but then both credits transferred.

Which reminds me, is there a way to move credits on chase cards or do I just need to sm? It's only 4.50 and on a card I don't use without an offer so I'd rather not use it up. My fault for forgetting to check to see if the offer had posted before paying.

There's an SM option for it, so probably there isn't a way to do it online yourself like Amex.

Because I always ignore this....best way to use the Amex $200 airline credit on actual tickets vs seats, luggage, etc. Oh and how do I score the best Amex Plat offer right now? When I pull up on my browser I get 80k

Question on Flight Delays. DD22 is on a Sun Country flight today from Ft Myers to MSP. Left at 12:07 EST and was to arrive MSP at around 2:37 CST. They diverted the flight to Jacksonville because something was wrong with the plane. They have all deboarded the plane and waiting to see what is going to happen. Last she heard - they would not be leaving until like 9:15 PM EST. They got $35 food vouchers.

Not sure if she is entitled to compensation or not. She probably used her CSP but that has to have a delay of 12 hours. Just wasn't sure if she should be getting something from Sun Country on this.

Question on Flight Delays. DD22 is on a Sun Country flight today from Ft Myers to MSP. Left at 12:07 EST and was to arrive MSP at around 2:37 CST. They diverted the flight to Jacksonville because something was wrong with the plane. They have all deboarded the plane and waiting to see what is going to happen. Last she heard - they would not be leaving until like 9:15 PM EST. They got $35 food vouchers.

Not sure if she is entitled to compensation or not. She probably used her CSP but that has to have a delay of 12 hours. Just wasn't sure if she should be getting something from Sun Country on this.

Some airlines will give a goodwill credit, but I don't know about Sun Country. We got a $50/person credit for a Jetblue delay of 3 hours.

Yeah. Not expecting much. Of course, this is the only time she had flown Sun Country. It was a last minute trip and they had good prices. Never again!!
I know all the nightmare stories on them, but I have flown them twice since Covid. Both times everything went great, and we landed early both times.
I should add getting our luggage on the one flight was bad, waited 40 minutes, but the next time it was not an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter