I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I have ran into that with a couple of my cards lately and elected to just make the small charge and keep it open. When they are no annual fee cards I really don’t see a disadvantage to just having them. Life changes rapidly and you never know when you might wish you had them again.
Thank you... I made a small Amazon purchase just to keep it alive (and already sent the payment so I don't forget to do it!)

Hanging head in shame ... 2 rookie mistakes last week.

First mistake: I was so excited about the companion pass deal for opening a new card, I totally forgot that DH (and I) already have SW personal cards. I was surprised when he got the 7-10 day screen as he hasn't opened any cards in a while and has plenty of income, which is when I remembered the only one personal card rule. UGH. We like the Southwest card we have so much with the 4 upgraded boardings per card that we stopped churning it. So looks like route #2 is in play ... can someone remind me how long he has to wait before applying for a SW business card? I'll have to hope for a big credit limit to put taxes/estimates on it.

Second mistake: The Hilton aspire has been one of the favorite cards in our portfolio (until the recent changes but that's another story), and we've always gotten great "value" out of the free night awards, In the past we've used them to visit our daughter and play golf in Phoenix (Biltmore and Boulders) as well as the fancy hotel in Amsterdam (can't remember name). But I totally spaced this year and forgot DH"s was expiring March 6th! Normally that wouldn't be a problem but we are in London for two weeks before that, and super busy before we leave. Trying to figure out how to not let it go with a "staycation" but it's hard swallowing it on cheap cash stays in the SF Bay Area for not great hotels. I didn't realize we didn't have any high end Hiltons near us. Thought about a last minute one-night trip to So Cal for Disneyland (we are pass holders) but flights are outrageous. So mad at myself!

I'd appreciate any help/ideas on both!
If you have a future stay that you can use the expiring FNC for, I'd call the diamond desk and ask if they can extend it and use it for that stay (it helps if you have a particular stay in mind, but if not just ask for an extension). I find the diamond desk to be very flexible.

This game is getting harder and more complicated. And yes, there aren't any great uses for Hilton around here. I'm also having trouble using the certs. I have used them at the GWR, the WA in Cabo (which has availability this month but the flights don't work for us), the WA down in Del Mar, and I've booked the WA in Amsterdam (the guy at the Diamond desk was really nice and applied one FNC that was due to expire before that trip). I'd love some good recommendations as well. I have one expiring in June. Can you use it on the trip to London?
We have a timeshare in London and too late to move/cancel any nights, but you have given me food for thought on a day trip somewhere. Will look into that--thanks!!
Just chiming in to say - remember that the SW CP SUB deal is only on the personal cards!
Yep, thanks, but that's why I mentioned taxes--route #2 would be business card with tax spend to get the additional 115,000 DH needs (he already has 20,000).

Do you know how soon he can apply for a SW business card after applying for personal card (and being denied)? I hope it isn't 30 days ...

If you have a future stay that you can use the expiring FNC for, I'd call the diamond desk and ask if they can extend it and use it for that stay (it helps if you have a particular stay in mind, but if not just ask for an extension). I find the diamond desk to be very flexible.
Alas, no.That would be a great idea though--wish I did! We rarely do long stays at hotels anymore.

I am feeling really dumb but hoping you all can help me.

I have a Hilton Surpass card and have been using the $50 Hilton Credit since it became available last quarter.

DH received a card in the mail that he now could get the $200 ($50 per quarter) credit on his card as well. I thought "Great! I will order more gift cards!" And threw the card away.

I forgot that DH has two Hilton cards. A business card and (I think) the lowest tier Hilton personal card (Express? It is not an Aspire for sure and I really do not think it is a Surpass but now I am doubting myself). For some reason, I am not showing this card on my spreadsheet! The AMEX site just says, "Hilton Honors Card" but shows the picture of the new Express. And NEITHER card is showing the credit under the new benefits.

Am I crazy? Are there other cards besides Surpass/Aspire that are now getting this credit? I really wish I had kept that mailer!

I am feeling really dumb but hoping you all can help me.

I have a Hilton Surpass card and have been using the $50 Hilton Credit since it became available last quarter.

DH received a card in the mail that he now could get the $200 ($50 per quarter) credit on his card as well. I thought "Great! I will order more gift cards!" And threw the card away.

I forgot that DH has two Hilton cards. A business card and (I think) the lowest tier Hilton personal card (Express? It is not an Aspire for sure and I really do not think it is a Surpass but now I am doubting myself). For some reason, I am not showing this card on my spreadsheet! The AMEX site just says, "Hilton Honors Card" but shows the picture of the new Express. And NEITHER card is showing the credit under the new benefits.

Am I crazy? Are there other cards besides Surpass/Aspire that are now getting this credit? I really wish I had kept that mailer!

Maybe it was a flyer trying to get you to upgrade the no fee to the Surpass? The no fee (redesigned card is white) and biz don't have the credit.

Your DH's denial got me worried about my plan to open a Hyatt Biz card in early March since I just got an Ink in mid January. I hope the real reason is #1, because #2 really doesn't make sense for you--and bodes poorly for me!

I had not heard about the "under 4 biz and 4 personal" before! I have a lot of Inks and will consider closing some. One has a pending referral bonus so I think I should wait until that posts and then transfer. On the personal side, I have 4 but don't see wiggle room as the two I don't use are two of my oldest credit lines so I need to keep them open for that.
I’ve seen other recent reports on FB groups and Reddit about random denials. We probably have too much credit all together, Citi gave DH and I crazy high limits.
I need to take some time to clean up our cards. Get us down to a 10 each and reduce credit limits.

I’ve seen other recent reports on FB groups and Reddit about random denials. We probably have too much credit all together, Citi gave DH and I crazy high limits.
I need to take some time to clean up our cards. Get us down to a 10 each and reduce credit limits.
Hm, I thought that the amount of credit with other banks wouldn't affect Chase's decisions. I thought Chase only cared about how much credit they've already given you to limit the risk to them.

I have some really high CLs as well. Barclays gave me $25K on the red aviator card last year and all I did with it was buy fast food once, since you only need one purchase to get the miles 😆

With Southwest if I have two segments and there are upgraded boardings available for both do I need to wait until 24 hours before the second segment to upgrade that one or can all be upgraded at 24 hours before the first segment?

Speaking of denials, I had my first Amex denial, the Delta Gold Biz. I'm wondering if I have too many cards. I've read conflicting reports of whether the BBP counts toward the number of cards limit. Here's what I have: BCP, Hilton Biz, Bonvoy Biz, BBP (two accts), Biz Gold (two accts). Is that too many? I'm planning to close the duplicates later this month (they were targeted offers when I was in pop-up jail). I thought I was ok to apply, but I guess not.

Speaking of denials, I had my first Amex denial, the Delta Gold Biz. I'm wondering if I have too many cards. I've read conflicting reports of whether the BBP counts toward the number of cards limit. Here's what I have: BCP, Hilton Biz, Bonvoy Biz, BBP (two accts), Biz Gold (two accts). Is that too many? I'm planning to close the duplicates later this month (they were targeted offers when I was in pop-up jail). I thought I was ok to apply, but I guess not.

The BBP counts. You're at 5 credit cards. The biz gold is a charge card. If there's a card you can cancel already, you can recon the app. You'll cancel a card and then they'll push the app through.

If you don't want to call, you'll need to wait for the canceled card to drop off. It can take a long time, maybe 30 days or more.

Yes those travel blogs were what made me hesitate about the TWA hotel!

I was all prepared to book it (cause it looks so cool and really has such a fantastic location) until I saw the reviews and then became really hesitant about it... And yes a few of the blogs did mention the lack of trash cans!

Yes the Marriott seems to be really new! Reading reviews of it is interesting - there are a few older ones that clearly don't refer to this particular hotel (and where there is a "response from the owner" saying that they are not yet open)! But otherwise it seems to have just opened about 2 months ago, so really brand new at this point in time.

And thanks for that - would definitely make more sense for me to go with the brand new Marriott!
Just as an update - have booked the brand new Marriott at JFK!

Was still going back and forth between the Marriott and TWA for a bit. Booked the Marriott on a cancellable rate at first. Currently just over a week away from the stay. Had a look at the rates again today and found a great price for the Marriott on a non-refundable rate - about 2/3 of the price of the TWA hotel with similar cancellation terms.

Hopefully it'll be nice and hopefully I'll be able to navigate my way there after getting off an 18 hour flight!

We took the Disney Dream last summer from Barcelona. I booked a private one day tour the day before the cruise and we really enjoyed seeing what we were able to squeeze in that day. I hope you like the new Princess ship - we are trying Celebrity for the first time this summer. I'm a little nervous about it.
What are you nervous about with Celebrity? Which ship will you be on? I know you like DCL. We sailed with Celebrity on 2 cruises prior to our DCL trips and really liked Celebrity.

With Southwest if I have two segments and there are upgraded boardings available for both do I need to wait until 24 hours before the second segment to upgrade that one or can all be upgraded at 24 hours before the first segment?
Yes. 2nd upgrade won't come up until 24 hours before the second leg and you have two pay again for the privilege.

Your DH's denial got me worried about my plan to open a Hyatt Biz card in early March since I just got an Ink in mid January. I hope the real reason is #1, because #2 really doesn't make sense for you--and bodes poorly for me!

I had not heard about the "under 4 biz and 4 personal" before! I have a lot of Inks and will consider closing some. One has a pending referral bonus so I think I should wait until that posts and then transfer. On the personal side, I have 4 but don't see wiggle room as the two I don't use are two of my oldest credit lines so I need to keep them open for that.

@Duckbug.Ducktales Just for the avoidance of any further confusion - I did state that I haven't seen anything definitive but I like to keep it below 4 Biz and 4 Personal. As in that is my preference, and should not be interpreted as Chase policy.

What are you nervous about with Celebrity? Which ship will you be on? I know you like DCL. We sailed with Celebrity on 2 cruises prior to our DCL trips and really liked Celebrity.
I'm concerned that we won't like the ship as much as we like the Disney ships I guess. I've been reading a lot of things online and there are a lot of negative posts out there about them cost-cutting and nickel-and-diming passengers. I booked us on the Apex in Europe. I have a friend who really didn't enjoy her trans-Atlantic on that ship, but I booked a higher category than she did and I hope that makes the difference.

I'm concerned that we won't like the ship as much as we like the Disney ships I guess. I've been reading a lot of things online and there are a lot of negative posts out there about them cost-cutting and nickel-and-diming passengers. I booked us on the Apex in Europe. I have a friend who really didn't enjoy her trans-Atlantic on that ship, but I booked a higher category than she did and I hope that makes the difference.
I've only sailed DCL. My mom loves Celebrity. I know it's also the cruise line Captain Sandy from Below Deck likes:) My mom always sails Aqua Class (I don't really know what that means). I'd try Celebrity in a second but I don't think my 20-year old would love it (she'd be fine with it but DCL is just comfortable for us). But it would be my second choice after DCL.

I've only sailed DCL. My mom loves Celebrity. I know it's also the cruise line Captain Sandy from Below Deck likes:) My mom always sails Aqua Class (I don't really know what that means). I'd try Celebrity in a second but I don't think my 20-year old would love it (she'd be fine with it but DCL is just comfortable for us). But it would be my second choice after DCL.
Yeah, if DCL was going to the ports I wanted to go to I would have booked it instead. But we did get a bunch of Amex discounts on this one and I do want to branch out since Disney has such limited itineraries. It's all of the posts saying how it was once great and is going downhill that concern me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter