I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

AA victory. Wife and I are planning a trip to WDW for our 15th wedding anniversary this fall. Looked at airfare and found AA for 12k RT from our little airport. Will have to book a room near MCO for one night as the flight lands at midnight and we aren't paying Disney prices for that night. Any recommendations for a cheap hotel near MCO, preferably a Hilton brand?

My wife has PF and after consultation with her podiatrist, she now lives in Spenco sandals from March to November. She's in Brooks during the winter. I also have PF and flat feet, for the very few times I'm in sandals it's usually an OOFOS slide, but usually I'm in a pair of Hokas.
I tried hoka first but they didn’t work for me. Dh wears them. I love my brooks because they have the guardrails on the back to help my narrow heels. I’m not seeing any Spenco with a heel strap but I’ll keep looking. We have a shoe store here that suggested my brooks so maybe I’ll go there and see if they can recommend some sandals

My wife has PF and after consultation with her podiatrist, she now lives in Spenco sandals from March to November. She's in Brooks during the winter. I also have PF and flat feet, for the very few times I'm in sandals it's usually an OOFOS slide, but usually I'm in a pair of Hokas.
I'm a recent Hokas convert and wow are they ever comfortable! I now have 2 pairs; the Cliftons are my favorite. I see that they also have sandals and I can see a pair in my future for this summer.

@Haley R I have Mephisto sandals and they are very comfortable. They are what I used when I was in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Koh Samui. I wore them with my bathing suits in Koh Samui and with dressier clothes when I was out for dinner in Chiang Mai and Bangkok.

I'm a recent Hokas convert and wow are they ever comfortable! I now have 2 pairs; the Cliftons are my favorite. I see that they also have sandals and I can see a pair in my future for this summer.

@Haley R I have Mephisto sandals and they are very comfortable. They are what I used when I was in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Koh Samui. I wore them with my bathing suits in Koh Samui and with dressier clothes when I was out for dinner in Chiang Mai and Bangkok.
Which Mephisto sandals? I have a pair of Mephisto sneakers that I really like but never looked into the sandals. Would love something that could do double duty going from swim suit to dressier outfit. Thanks!

I have PF and while I don't specifically know about closed-toe, I have worn ABEO sandals for years and years. I believe the brand is exclusive to The Walking Company. Unfortunately they are (now) 100% online so there is no way to try on to find one you like.
I'm glad you mentioned the ABEO shoes. They are constantly advertised on social media, and I wondered if they were worth the money. I've had 2 foot surgeries on my left foot and need comfortable dress shoes for work. The ABEO look like they might be great for work, but the price tag makes me hesitate.

I'm glad you mentioned the ABEO shoes. They are constantly advertised on social media, and I wondered if they were worth the money. I've had 2 foot surgeries on my left foot and need comfortable dress shoes for work. The ABEO look like they might be great for work, but the price tag makes me hesitate.
I love abeo ....

We are staying the Intercontinental Miami. Nice location and walkable to restaurants and shops. We have IHG Points/FN Certificates that we are using, otherwise it can be a bit spendy.
Thanks…I didn’t realize friends we are traveling with just want to stay at Marriotts so unfortunately no flexibility on brand

Help please! Long story short- I am working right next to the airport today so I’m going in person to buy tickets from Frontier bc they’re $38 a person cheaper if you buy in person. In my rush to get to work, I forgot to grab DH’s wallet with the CSP and other cards with travel protection.
All I have on me right now are Chase Disney card, AmEx Bonvoy (used to be the Starwood one), and a Chase Freedom (the original one opened in 2007).
I’m extra mad at myself because we are flying Frontier so there’s a real possibility that we will need to utilize the travel protection. And we live to far from the airport for me to come back at a different time.
Which would you use if you were me?

Do they take apple/google Samsung pay? If someone is at home, could they call you with the card numbers to set it up? I only have used Apple Pay, but the card is always available immediately when I enter it into my Apple Wallet.

Edit: Looks like they do for in flight purchases, but might not for ticketing, bummer. Hard to tell online.

The Freedom only has trip cancellation/interruption. No trip delay, which is maybe what you're more worried about. The Amex Bonvoy (if it's the $95 AF one), I only see baggage insurance for lost or stolen. For Disney, I see baggage delay over 6 hours, $100/day for 3 days.

If I had to choose, I guess I'd go with the Freedom. Because wouldn't the airline be responsible for lost baggage and delays? I'm not sure in what circumstance you'd want to file with cc insurance instead of the airline.

This is what I was going to sugggest. Call home and get the numbers from someone and add it to your apple pay (or whatever digital wallet you use). I would have that loaded just in case.

I like baggage coverage more, so I would go with one of those cards. But I like UR, so I would maybe want to earn those. Kind of depends on what is worth more to you.
An update for everyone who so graciously tried to help me:
So I was so mad at myself I wound up not getting the tickets.
It turns out that may have been a good thing, because today I was contacted by my local radio station to let me know that I won a contest (Disney vacation).
So now I have to make sure 1) it’s not a scam 2) it’ll be worth what I have to pay in taxes 3) where to stay 4) when to go.

AA victory. Wife and I are planning a trip to WDW for our 15th wedding anniversary this fall. Looked at airfare and found AA for 12k RT from our little airport. Will have to book a room near MCO for one night as the flight lands at midnight and we aren't paying Disney prices for that night. Any recommendations for a cheap hotel near MCO, preferably a Hilton brand?

Do you have any URs you can transfer to Hyatt so you can stay at the Hyatt Regency MCO? Since you're landing so late, it would be nice not to have to get a ride to somewhere else and just get to your room right away. That's what I would do.

I have been wearing them for YEARS (mostly the sandals... no backs because I prefer to be able to slip in and out easily). But when I started wearing them, it was when The Walking Company still had a local store and I could try on.

It turns out that may have been a good thing, because today I was contacted by my local radio station to let me know that I won a contest (Disney vacation).
So now I have to make sure 1) it’s not a scam 2) it’ll be worth what I have to pay in taxes 3) where to stay 4) when to go.
As a former sweepstaker (not worth it now due to too much online competition) who won multiple trips and such, here’s some advice.

The radio station will give you a very inflated value for the trip. For example, they will use high season rack rates for hotels, airfare, etc. What you should do is try to figure out the actual value of the trip. Go and make dummy bookings for the date you would be going. Screenshot or print these out for for documentation. THAT is the value of the trip you should claim on your taxes. I was never audited, but if I had been, I had documentation of the actual cost of the trip.

Oh, and congratulations!

I second @ctinct . If your prize includes transportation, make sure you do the same once tickets are booked. Go to the airline and price out the exact flight your booked on and screenshot/print to PDF. (Or train, rental car, whatever) Do that for every part of the package. Whatever value they have listed in the contest T&C is what they'll report for taxes. But you only need to pay tax on the fair market value received. Sometimes that's close, sometimes it's not. Especially with something like Disney with all the dynamic pricing they have. You don't want to be going in low season but pay tax on peak pricing.

Also be sure to look up any state or local taxes in addition to the feds. And track what type of contest it is, sometimes that makes a difference in whether it's taxable to state/local or what rate is taxed at.

🤞it's not a scam. I hope you enjoy!

It's not ideal as 3rd party bookings can be problematic. I'd check to see if transferring points is an option and how rates compare. In the end I have done it a few times and have a Swan res at WDW booked through Chase portal coming up for Spring break.
yeah i only use ota when its American express and I get a deal I've been able to randomly get tickets for 20% off on international flights when I don't find point availability. Its been hit or miss

I second @ctinct . If your prize includes transportation, make sure you do the same once tickets are booked. Go to the airline and price out the exact flight your booked on and screenshot/print to PDF. (Or train, rental car, whatever) Do that for every part of the package. Whatever value they have listed in the contest T&C is what they'll report for taxes. But you only need to pay tax on the fair market value received. Sometimes that's close, sometimes it's not. Especially with something like Disney with all the dynamic pricing they have. You don't want to be going in low season but pay tax on peak pricing.

Also be sure to look up any state or local taxes in addition to the feds. And track what type of contest it is, sometimes that makes a difference in whether it's taxable to state/local or what rate is taxed at.

ive won 2 tickets twice. One time alaska valued it at 600$ a piece when I was paying 400 at the time. I know its based on taxable income but it was still a shock they must do it the full boat ticket prices on their side. Don't be shocked if the values are higher.

As a former sweepstaker (not worth it now due to too much online competition) who won multiple trips and such, here’s some advice.

The radio station will give you a very inflated value for the trip. For example, they will use high season rack rates for hotels, airfare, etc. What you should do is try to figure out the actual value of the trip. Go and make dummy bookings for the date you would be going. Screenshot or print these out for for documentation. THAT is the value of the trip you should claim on your taxes. I was never audited, but if I had been, I had documentation of the actual cost of the trip.

Oh, and congratulations!

ive won 2 tickets twice. One time alaska valued it at 600$ a piece when I was paying 400 at the time. I know its based on taxable income but it was still a shock they must do it the full boat ticket prices on their side. Don't be shocked if the values are higher.
The radio station said the prize was valued at $8600 and I’d have to fill out a 1099 for it. Did you all do this in your previous wins?

For a 4 night/5 day trip, I felt $8600 was sky high.
We routinely fly out of PHL for under $200 roundtrip for a family of 4. And ballpark if the 5 day park hoppers for each of us, we are looking at about $3400. So four nights in a standard room would have to run $5k, which is crazy.

I’m also wondering if they’ll let me take the value of the trip in cash instead of the actual trip, but I don’t see that written anywhere in the T&C.

Last edited:
Do you have any URs you can transfer to Hyatt so you can stay at the Hyatt Regency MCO? Since you're landing so late, it would be nice not to have to get a ride to somewhere else and just get to your room right away. That's what I would do.
I do, but wouldn't use them for the Hyatt Regency MCO. If I'm spending my Hyatt points or UR, I'll take the shuttle across the Beachline to the Hyatt Place for half the price. That's what I'm thinking depending on what recommendations anyone has for around the airport. I can probably also save on rental car fees by picking up somewhere other than the airport.

I do, but wouldn't use them for the Hyatt Regency MCO. If I'm spending my Hyatt points or UR, I'll take the shuttle across the Beachline to the Hyatt Place for half the price. That's what I'm thinking depending on what recommendations anyone has for around the airport. I can probably also save on rental car fees by picking up somewhere other than the airport.
Gotcha. To me, the convenience of the MCO Hyatt outweighs the higher point cost, but we all use points differently! I agree that picking up your car elsewhere than the airport would likely be less expensive, but factor in the rideshare cost of getting to rental agency.

Gotcha. To me, the convenience of the MCO Hyatt outweighs the higher point cost, but we all use points differently! I agree that picking up your car elsewhere than the airport would likely be less expensive, but factor in the rideshare cost of getting to rental agency.
I don't think it's that much more convenient than one of the hotels on Semoran. Paying twice the price to save 10 minutes just doesn't seem to be a good value for me, especially when I'm not time limited the next day. I looked, renting Enterprise off site would save me $40 for an 8 day rental over National on site. I would spend at least $10 of that getting to the rental location via rideshare. My plan is to land at midnight, grab my bags and grab a shuttle to a hotel, wake up whenever I wake up and grab a shuttle at 0930 to the airport, pick out my car on the aisle and leave the airport at 1000. Drive back to the hotel, check out, grab my bags and either pick up people at the airport or head to the Space Coast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter