I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I am a little late to the Chase 1099 game.. can someone help me out?

I supported my husband to a CIC, for which I received a 1099 for "other income" of $338 (that seems like an odd amount.). I did expect this one, but the amount seems weird.

I got a SECOND 1099, this one regarding my own CIC application from June 2023. The amount is $400. I was not supported... this is my own card that I opened for myself. I don't think I should have gotten anything for this one. What should I do?

I supported my husband to a CIC, for which I received a 1099 for "other income" of $338 (that seems like an odd amount.). I did expect this one, but the amount seems weird.

I got a SECOND 1099, this one regarding my own CIC application from June 2023. The amount is $400. I was not supported... this is my own card that I opened for myself. I don't think I should have gotten anything for this one. What should I do?

The Second 1099 for $400 sounds like the correct amount for supporting your husband to a CIC. (40,000 URs)

The other one is odd though.

Agree with GZanta, the $400 is the support awarded to your CIC for the referral. Did you open anything like a Marriott card with free night certificates? That’s what I got a second random 1099 for, also an odd number.

i don’t know of anything you can do about it if you feel it’s wrong.

I booked a Singapore / Japan trip for next January for ds and I. He complicated things by saying he wanted to fly one way first class. I was able to book the following:
  • AC (using 87.5k AP pts x 2): Toronto to Copenhagen, 2 hour layover, Copenhagen to Singapore on Singapore Air, both legs in biz class
  • Singapore Air (using 60k AP pts x 2): Singapore to Haneda in biz class (only seats released have us landing in Tokyo at 1am, but better than an overnight flight). I'm going to try to snag seats on Japan Air when AA releases them in a few weeks, but don't have much hope
  • Tokyo to Chicago (myself): ANA first (using 106k AP points)
  • Tokyo to Chicago (ds): Japan first (using 123k BA Avios + $400 in taxes)
2 rooms x 4 nights at the Tokyo Station hotel using Hyatt points (transferred URs)

I will try my best to grab 2 nights x 2 rooms at the MiraCosta when the rooms open, if I'm not successful then I'll likely book the Hilton at Tokyo Disney because I don't want to stay at Tokyo Disneyland hotel again

I plan on using HH points for 1 room and cash for 1 room at the Conrad Osaka for 4 or 5 nights (prefer 5 because of free night on HH points booking, but will depend on what nights I can get at Tokyo Disney)

Looking for a hotel in Singapore that isn't going to break the bank; I've been looking but can't find anything that fits my taste / budget -- I am open to suggestions. I may crumble and book the Conrad Singapore because I like the location, but since I need 2 rooms it's going to hurt!
Sounds like a great trip especially with the flights!

I'm Singaporean so have a different perspective on Singapore hotels (don't really stay in the hotels - but have visited a number of the hotels to eat in the restaurants or for events like weddings). Don't think I've visited the Conrad Centennial (though I've wandered past many times), went to one of the restaurants at the Conrad Orchard a few months ago.

The thing about Singapore is that it's tiny, and it's really easy to get around Singapore. Taxis/rideshare is relatively cheap, and the bus/MRT system is very cheap and easy to use (and is how I get around in my daily life). So in a way it will depend on how you want to get around Singapore - if you intend to use the bus/MRT system then it would probably be really convenient if your hotel is directly connected/near to a bus stop or an MRT station. Whereas if you're just going to taxi/rideshare every where then this is less important.

Otherwise another consideration could be how well connected the hotel is to shopping areas... Around the City Hall area there is a massive network of shopping malls and hotels that are all connected to each other and also to 3 MRT stations. Makes it really easy to get around and also to do things like get food from the shopping malls.

If it helps, I think of hotel locations in Singapore along the following lines:

Sentosa - island resort vibe, close to the attractions on Sentosa island... but a lot less accessible by public transport (MRT/bus). Hotels may have a shuttle service to make it easier to get to other places.

Downtown/City Hall/Tanjong Pagar areas - very accessible by public transport and can pretty much get anywhere you want quite easily. Lots of shopping malls around so it's easy to get food/stuff if you need.

Orchard - shopping district, also very accessible by public transport (except maybe some of the hotels like the Shangri-La). Even more shopping malls.

Other areas close to city e.g. Novena - should still be fairly easy to get to/from these areas.

Other areas that are further from the city e.g. Jurong, Changi - these should generally be a lot cheaper because of location. Generally still should not be too hard to get around from here, but just means it is harder to pop in and out of the hotel if you want.

Anyway happy to answer questions about Singapore if you have any!

Edited to add - the Conrad Orchard is a rebrand from last year, and used to be known as another hotel. There's been this whole shuffle of hotels in Singapore in the last couple of years where hotels have been rebranded or moved between chains, it gets a bit confusing! Like the Hilton Orchard used to be Mandarin Orchard, while voco Orchard used to be Hilton Orchard...

Last edited:

The radio station said the prize was valued at $8600 and I’d have to fill out a 1099 for it. Did you all do this in your previous wins?

For a 4 night/5 day trip, I felt $8600 was sky high.
We routinely fly out of PHL for under $200 roundtrip for a family of 4. And ballpark if the 5 day park hoppers for each of us, we are looking at about $3400. So four nights in a standard room would have to run $5k, which is crazy.

I’m also wondering if they’ll let me take the value of the trip in cash instead of the actual trip, but I don’t see that written anywhere in the T&C.
Yes, you give them a W-9 with your TIN so they can file the 1099 with the IRS. When calculating the tax it'll be counted as ordinary income, like bank interest.

Since you said you can decide when to go, then the station has to take into account whatever the maximum value of airfare, peak pricing tickets, and room rates could be during the prize window. That's the cap they calculate for the terms. But it's unlikely for them to issue the 1099 for the actual prices paid. That's why you have to detective it yourself.

We accepted ours because the couple hundred in taxes was still way less than what we'd had to pay ourselves. And if cash isn't in the terms then it's highly unlikely they'll pay out in cash. I've never heard of it.

Does anyone have recent experience with bringing a guest to a Priority Pass lounge in ATL or BWI?
PP says I can bring 2 guests for free, but Club ATL says $50 day-- it's so confusing!

The Second 1099 for $400 sounds like the correct amount for supporting your husband to a CIC. (40,000 URs)

The other one is odd though.
Oh you are correct... I was looking at the wrong card number (at the bottom).
Agree with GZanta, the $400 is the support awarded to your CIC for the referral. Did you open anything like a Marriott card with free night certificates? That’s what I got a second random 1099 for, also an odd number.

i don’t know of anything you can do about it if you feel it’s wrong.
That's it! I forgot about the Bonvoy card with the 5 free nights.

This thread is the best! Thank you! (I've never gotten a 1099 before).

Interesting experience booking one way, first class tickets on UA with points. Booked one for DH at one price with UR points transferred to United. Then, I logged into my account and the price was 7K more points.
I'm going to hold off and see if the points come down.
It was cheaper if I book with UR points but I don't want to deal with the potential 3rd party trouble. I've got time but seems silly.

Does anyone have recent experience with bringing a guest to a Priority Pass lounge in ATL or BWI?
PP says I can bring 2 guests for free, but Club ATL says $50 day-- it's so confusing!
I took 2 guests last fall to the Club ATL using PP and there was no charge. Be warned that there has been a wait to get in every single time I have gone there. It wasn't worth the time to go down there. I will not use it again unless I have a really long layover and Delta lounge isn't an option. Last time, I took the tram all the way down there and by the time we got in we had 10 minutes. It was packed, no where to sit and terrible snacks.
Interesting experience booking one way, first class tickets on UA with points. Booked one for DH at one price with UR points transferred to United. Then, I logged into my account and the price was 7K more points.
I'm going to hold off and see if the points come down.
It was cheaper if I book with UR points but I don't want to deal with the potential 3rd party trouble. I've got time but seems silly.
This doesn't surprise me. I've booked United for several flights over the past 18 months and have found their pts pricing is all over the place. I try to check every day after I book to see if it drops or if I can move up to the next class for the same amt of pts. I do not use my UR to book travel through Chase either.

I took 2 guests last fall to the Club ATL using PP and there was no charge. Be warned that there has been a wait to get in every single time I have gone there. It wasn't worth the time to go down there. I will not use it again unless I have a really long layover and Delta lounge isn't an option. Last time, I took the tram all the way down there and by the time we got in we had 10 minutes. It was packed, no where to sit and terrible snacks.
We're arriving at 7:45am so I'm hoping it won't be too packed that early, but thanks for the heads up. We have a 3 hour layover so I think it'll be worth it. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to check out the new Centurion lounge that just opened last week, but that would definitely require a guest fee.

Wanted to share a CSP rental car insurance success story I saw on r/churning, specifically about Ireland:

That's great to hear/read! I read a horror story on Trip Advisor before our trip to Ireland. The person knew they'd had a scratch/scrape (they described as minor) and Enterprise charged their AMEX the entire value of the car until they got the estimate for repair and loss of service. Over 30k. It was not resolved before the payment was due. I'm not sure if that's more of an Enterprise thing or an Amex being secondary coverage thing. Anyway, we rented from Enterprise in Dublin (return to SNN) and used our CSP. Fortunately we had no scrapes and Enterprise didn't blink when we showed them the letter of coverage.

We have a *very* tentative trip back in June and for whatever reason the rental prices this time were very reasonable (like 1/3 of the prices from last summer) so I have a car reserved with Hertz/CSP.

Sorry if I was not clear in my original post. Yes I have the Companion Pass and will have a designated Companion flying with me. I am planning on purchasing the Early Bird Check-In for myself but not the companion due to the issue of needing to cancel the companion ticket if prices go down and I want to change my ticket to save some points. Fingers crossed it is continuing to work the same way. Thank you.
That is how it has worked for us. Additional DP my husband is A List Preferred through work and all 4 of us (not just him and his companion) get automatic early check in. So the two of us are on a reservation and our kids are our companions and we end up with A16-19.

We’ve had multiple DP over the past two months and each time I’ve been DH’s companion- he purchased EBCI and I’ve gotten the next boarding position after him without purchasing it.
Thanks for the information. I thought that was what I read previously but I could not find the posts to confirm.
That is how it has worked for us. Additional DP my husband is A List Preferred through work and all 4 of us (not just him and his companion) get automatic early check in. So the two of us are on a reservation and our kids are our companions and we end up with A16-19.
That's awsome that you get such great boarding numbers.

Regarding upgrading a Chase Marriott Boundless to a Ritz -- does it need to have a min $10K CL (like the CSR)?

Another question -- if you qualify for a SW CP and it gets issued, can it be clawed back if you have returns that reduce your qualifying RRs to below the required 135K?

Hi disboards credit card community, newbie here looking for some advice (TLDR- I’d like to get the Disney Visa but want to make sure I’m putting the right charges on it). I’ve been reading the current pages for a little bit, searched Disney Visa, and I studied the posts on the first pages, so I think I understand the format of how I should phrase my question.

Current cards/only personal credit cards I’ve ever had (I had several in my name from an old job but those would have been canceled by them over 2 years ago)-

2001- Bank of Americard Rewards Visa Signature: no balance, used a couple times a year at most because it auto-refills my Starbucks card only

2018- Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa Signature: no balance, used randomly whenever I decide to switch from the Chase

2019 Chase Sapphire Preferred- sometimes carries a balance, used primarily, but with no thought process behind it or the BOA

Travel- infrequently for work (right now 1-2x year), frequently for fun. I have every airline loyalty number but always pick whatever is cheapest, therefore currently trying to book with my Frontier Annual GoWild Pass (or Southwest because I appreciate their cancelation policies but they are rarely the cheapest these days). I use WAS as my airport code, though DCA is definitely the most convenient. I book most non-Frontier/SW travel through Orbitz and use their rewards for hotel stays, though I try to go places with friends I can stay with so I don’t book that many hotels. I have no hotel allegiance, just whatever is cheapest. I travel alone so there’s no other input necessary to consider.

Spending- outside of travel, mostly utilities, groceries and random Amazon purchases. I have no car (and don’t rent them so never buy gas) and no pets. I have had all the streaming services in the past, but currently just HBO. I have no anticipated large expenses coming up (outside of significant dental work, haven’t thought through the best way to do that yet).

Goals- in general spend smarter, but more specifically I’d like to use my rewards for Disney! I’ve done 5 trips, and knees willing aim to keep going to WDW once a year for the marathon weekend in January staying on property. Last year I also made two 1-day trips to the Food and Wine Festival to eat all the things and it was perfect (stayed off property). I’d love to do that again, and other race weekends staying on property, but the park tickets always get me since I can’t use points on them (that I’m aware of with my current setup). Someday I’d love to be an AP but right now I’m only averaging 3 park days/year.

Impression: Though I read a bunch of articles saying how bad the Disney Visa is compared to other reward cards, I think it makes sense for me. Even if I only use it for the discounts on race merchandise it’s huge benefit, since that is stuff I’m buying at full price already. I also eat at some of the restaurants listed.

Question: so I guess my overall question is, assuming I apply for and get the Disney Visa, how can I best maximize my use of it? Between the two other CCs (ignoring the old BOA one since the others have better rewards) and discounted DGCs I know I need to play the game better of what charges go where. I think the Chase should get the travel and groceries, and Disney anything that codes as entertainment? Or other? I got the newer BOA just to have a backup when my first and only card at the time was stolen out of my hand. Should I use it less so my rewards get funneled to the other spots where I can accumulate them more efficiently?

I really appreciate this community and the opportunity to learn from you! Thank you!

Now that I have met the spend and earned my SW CP I need a new SUB to work on. I was thinking of going for an AMEX BIiz Plat because I will have the spend to meet the high MSR now. I have an elevated SUB offer of 150,000 MRs in my account but was hoping for something higher. Would you go for this SUB now or take the chance of a higher offer in the next month or two? I need to take a break from Chase since I just got 1 SW biz card in 11/23 and 1 in 1/24 so I am looking for a non-Chase biz card. Thanks for your thoughts.

Now that I have met the spend and earned my SW CP I need a new SUB to work on. I was thinking of going for an AMEX BIiz Plat because I will have the spend to meet the high MSR now. I have an elevated SUB offer of 150,000 MRs in my account but was hoping for something higher. Would you go for this SUB now or take the chance of a higher offer in the next month or two? I need to take a break from Chase since I just got 1 SW biz card in 11/23 and 1 in 1/24 so I am looking for a non-Chase biz card. Thanks for your thoughts.

You might be able to pull up a 190k offer via public link. There is also a 200k offer via targeted link on DoC. Link

We’ve been looking at our England trip more for next May and trying to decide how we want to get there to avoid BA’s crazy taxes and fees. Our plan is to fly home with BA so we can come directly to Orlando but on the way there we’re willing to position.

Right now we’re looking at either flying from Miami to Paris with Air France or Houston to Manchester with Singapore airlines. Both would be business class. Miami would be about a 2 1/2-3 hour drive from us vs flying to Houston which is a 2 hr 45 min flight. We’re leaning towards flying with Singapore out of Houston, mainly because we’re interested in the Manchester area and not super interested in flying to Paris but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter