I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Thank you! Maybe I should go ahead and do it this trip. What is the timing for getting the credit twice and then going back to CSP? I'm sort of kicking myself as in the last several months I've used UR's quite a bit through the travel portal at 1.25 with my CSP. I've also got 6 people times 5 expensive restaurants to pay for - probably 2K easily, plus other stuff and I haven't picked up enough DGCs to cover it all as I used so many paying dues.

editing again - plus paying for an extra rental car, since my car is not big enough for 6.
Sorry I can’t answer this as I got the CSR when it came out and got the 100k bonus and have never downgraded. I know I could have had two more signup bonuses in that time but it has been the number 1 card for me so just keep it as is.

BTW in the future OTUP (if needed) and our DVC dues are counted as travel although I would rather use gift cards.

Sorry I can’t answer this as I got the CSR when it came out and got the 100k bonus and have never downgraded. I know I could have had two more signup bonuses in that time but it has been the number 1 card for me so just keep it as is.

BTW in the future OTUP (if needed) and our DVC dues are counted as travel although I would rather use gift cards.
I've never had to use OTUP, and have been fortunate to be able to collect DGC for dues at greater than 10% for at least the last 7 years or more - have to go back and figure out when DS started and stopped at Target as that was my biggest % off as he used his discount for me.

I've been sitting here thinking about this and realized my 4 years are coming up this year. I think I'll forego until my anniversary, close my CSP and go ahead and earn the bonus for the CSR, which will put me right at the sweet spot where I can use the CSP hotel credit before closing, then get the CSR, which will put me in line for 2 travel credits and use of the 1 and 1/2, before downgrading back to the CSP. February 2025 is going to be an expensive travel and Disney month for me and the credit plus the 1 and 1/2 redemption will be maximized. I've got to write out the plan or I'll forget it all!

I've never had to use OTUP, and have been fortunate to be able to collect DGC for dues at greater than 10% for at least the last 7 years or more - have to go back and figure out when DS started and stopped at Target as that was my biggest % off as he used his discount for me.

I've been sitting here thinking about this and realized my 4 years are coming up this year. I think I'll forego until my anniversary, close my CSP and go ahead and earn the bonus for the CSR, which will put me right at the sweet spot where I can use the CSP hotel credit before closing, then get the CSR, which will put me in line for 2 travel credits and use of the 1 and 1/2, before downgrading back to the CSP. February 2025 is going to be an expensive travel and Disney month for me and the credit plus the 1 and 1/2 redemption will be maximized. I've got to write out the plan or I'll forget it all!
I would not close it. Downgrade to an original Freedom. That card is no longer offered but you can downgrade to it. Since it is a Visa and not a MC it will remain the same #. Also since it is a Visa when Chase has the 5x at warehouse clubs you will be able to use them at Costco.

I think you have a good plan but here's my experience with using the TC which I posted in January:
DH upgraded his CSP to CSR 12/2022, AF refund for the CSP for $61 credited that month. Used the travel credit in 12/2022. New AF posted 4/1/23. Travel credit reset when December statement closed 2023 (last month) and I used it already. Interestingly, I have been using Instacart with all my Chase cards and when I upgraded DHs card to CSR, I got a bunch of retroactive $15 Instacart credits. So the next AF should be 4/1 and we've already used the TC twice and Instacart $15 x12 (plus a few extra) so at least $780 worth of credits.

I would not close it. Downgrade to an original Freedom. That card is no longer offered but you can downgrade to it. Since it is a Visa and not a MC it will remain the same #. Also since it is a Visa when Chase has the 5x at warehouse clubs you will be able to use them at Costco.
Love that idea! I still have an original freedom also. The one reason I may not do it is because I have so many Chase cards already and a larger credit line than I have any need for. I think I need to really close some cards gradually and reduce credit lines on several. I would keep enough on the Freedom to have the 10K available to transfer if they got sticky about an approval.

If you are flying domestically into or out of Miami, the GE office is OUTSIDE of security and they took walk-ins the 4 times we were there for our appointments (even though walk ins are not advertised online).

If you are flying into or out of ANY airport that participates in enrollment on arrival, even if domestically, I would check out where the office is and give it a try.
thanks!

I think you have a good plan but here's my experience with using the TC which I posted in January:

Sound great! It may seem strange but one of my biggest advantages would be booking the hotel my brother likes to spend time at. It runs $300 to $400 plus tax, so doing 3 to 4 nights with the 1.5 would save me quite a lot next February after our time at Disney. Getting it with free nights plus points is an option but not guaranteed. So, the travel credits (both ends then product change) would cover the AF than the rest would be gravy.

I am considering my brothers' remaining travel time. He's 10 years older than I am. No guarantee he will be able to travel in coming years and I want to help us enjoy our remaining time together. My Neice is working with me to get rooms for them and to make it a trip we will all enjoy. She had started the process by suggesting we share a house but was happy to hear I've already booked a 2 bedroom boardwalk view 5 nights for next year and the remaining days are for what he enjoys. This year he did use a wheel chair for most of our walking but part was sitting and the other part was him pushing it until he tired.

I think the house can work also but a hotel with options works best because no need to drive and park and drop off as often. An example, we dined at Topolinos at Riviera. They took the boat from Swan to DHS and then the skyliner to Riviera. I drove my car so that we could just pick up at the door on the return and then drop at the Swan door and I go park. So it was an experience as well as a meal because he, a former downhill recreational skier, got to ride the skyliner. Just no mountains and snow <g>.

Love that idea! I still have an original freedom also. The one reason I may not do it is because I have so many Chase cards already and a larger credit line than I have any need for. I think I need to really close some cards gradually and reduce credit lines on several. I would keep enough on the Freedom to have the 10K available to transfer if they got sticky about an approval.
Yes I have downgraded/transferred the limits on mine but haven’t closed any recently in FOMO on a good Chase offer that I could use for Disney or Prepaid v/MC gift cards.

Sorry to see all the Ink denial DPs. Feels worse than I thought.

Has anyone been approved for an Ink in the last month or so?
Not sure my DP will help .... DH was approved for a CIP in early Jan. I was approved for a CIP late Jan. Our last cards were CIUs in Mar/Apr of last year. We aren't big churners, but I have *lots* of Chase cards. Don't have a banking relationship with Chase. Bummed to hear all the denials because I need to replenish my UR stash with all the ones I have used booking hotels and outings in Italy.

I would think you would either have the CSR benefits since you have that card now or NONE as you no longer have the card that paid for the fees. I don’t see how you would get any of the CSP benefits without holding that card. I’m certainly hoping they would turn into the CSR benefits as the card number did not change from the PC.
Yeah, like I said I wasn't sure the agent knew what they were talking about. But on a second phone call, a different agent said the exact same thing about the CSP travel benefits being in place if the taxes/fees were purchased while the card was a CSP (even if it was a CSR at time of travel). Having downgraded several CSPs and CSRs to Freedoms, I expected the card number to stay the same with an upgrade to CSR, and the agent confirmed that during the conversation. It will have a different expiration date and CVV.

Yeah, like I said I wasn't sure the agent knew what they were talking about. But on a second phone call, a different agent said the exact same thing about the CSP travel benefits being in place if the taxes/fees were purchased while the card was a CSP (even if it was a CSR at time of travel). Having downgraded several CSPs and CSRs to Freedoms, I expected the card number to stay the same with an upgrade to CSR, and the agent confirmed that during the conversation. It will have a different expiration date and CVV.
Yes the dates and security code but the number hence account on your credit report will be the same which affects the age of your credit cards. Not a biggie but if you have an established card for sometime it is just something to think about.

Speaking of InstaCart I have stopped using them since they only gave us InstaCart+ for a year. Is there a way to get for longer other than using a different Chase account every 3 months??

I have my cards and DH's cards all linked to my account which stacks the length of time for instacart+.
I added all our cards at once and it extended through 2025 regardless of which card I use. Unlike DoorDash, Instacart doesn't require you to use the card with the benefit for the membership.

Coming back to answer my own question. I called Chase and the agent said that if I paid for taxes/fees with a CSP then the CSP travel benefits would apply even if I changed to a CSR before the travel dates. I'm not sure whether or not I believe that the agent knew what they were talking about. But I had DH call to pc his CSP to a CSR and they were able to confirm on the same phone call that the upgrade was complete and the CSR was showing on his account.
The rep may actually be right? This is a question that gets many answers but there are some DPs of getting the benefits at booking as long as the account is still open at the time of travel. I've seen it a couple times, just hard to search for... And after searching I cannot find the other comment that I remember that had more info.

If I can ever find it again I'll update. But it makes sense to me that what product terms you have at the time of purchase is what would apply at the time of claim, since that's when you entered into the agreement. What has always been a little vague for me is if you needed to have the same product at time of claim (or incident) as well or if just having the same account active is enough. According to that poster, just having the account is enough. If you read the benefits guides, they all mention the account as well. For example:
"You are eligible if Your name is embossed on
an eligible card issued in the United States, and You charge any portion
of Your Covered Trip to Your credit card Account and/or rewards
programs associated with Your Account. "

"Account – the Cardholder’s Credit Card Account issued by
JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. and/or its affiliates"

"Cardholder – an individual to whom a Credit Card Account has been
issued by JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. and/or its affiliates"

To be certain, better to have the same product on the same account at both points. But next best is making the purchase on the best product and keeping the same account open.

Yes the dates and security code but the number hence account on your credit report will be the same which affects the age of your credit cards. Not a biggie but if you have an established card for sometime it is just something to think about.
Changing your card number doesn't change the account, and wouldn't affect your age of accounts on a credit report. Otherwise every time you have fraud and have a new number issued, you'd have a "new" account age, which doesn't happen. Even changing from a CF/CFU Visa to a CFF Mastercard doesn't affect the age of the account. So don't worry about that when deciding to change an account or if a card is lost/stolen.

Most card issuers allow a product change on an existing account like Chase does. On rare occasions they don't and what they call a PC is really opening a new account. If that's the case then it'd be a concern, so it's good to confirm first. But just changing a card number on an existing account doesn't change the account on the credit report, just the number updates.

Not sure my DP will help .... DH was approved for a CIP in early Jan. I was approved for a CIP late Jan. Our last cards were CIUs in Mar/Apr of last year. We aren't big churners, but I have *lots* of Chase cards. Don't have a banking relationship with Chase. Bummed to hear all the denials because I need to replenish my UR stash with all the ones I have used booking hotels and outings in Italy.

Thanks for the DPs! I suspect the change happened sometime in February. If you decide to try for the next one, that would be an interesting DP as someone who has gone slower.

Yes I have downgraded/transferred the limits on mine but haven’t closed any recently in FOMO on a good Chase offer that I could use for Disney or Prepaid v/MC gift cards.

I understand completely! Just took 6 of my cards to Office Depot for the 10% offer. And the ones I have on my close list - 1 disney, 2 CIU's, were half of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter