I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Does anyone here pay for business select when flying Southwest? I have always booked the cheapest ticket but as time goes by I hate their boarding process more and more. I always get the ebci but it doesn't always get us A group. Last year we ended up with B group, so we used family boarding which I have never done before. DD turns7 this year so thats out. I was thinking of getting the upgrade to A1-A15 but it looks like you cant do that until 24hours ahead?

Looking at business select and it is around$100 or 10,000 pts more but I'm thinking maybe it is worth it. We just traveled last week and there was a LONG line to check bags and the business select had no line. With EBCI, DH and I got A23/A24. DD6 and DS9 got 43/44 despite being linked to me. So I hung back with them in the 41-45 slot. After standing there since they called to line up, we start to move. Last minute this lady comes running through and pushed by me and the kids shouting "I'm A40!!" It was just ridiculous to me.

I keep saying I'm going to stick to Jetblue or try another airline but SW just always has more direct flights with better times. I'm thinking maybe business select will help my experience? I really prefer to just pay for a seat, especially close to the front. So I can get off as soon as possbible. Lol. I think I'm starting to get needy in my older years.

Does anyone here pay for business select when flying Southwest? I have always booked the cheapest ticket but as time goes by I hate their boarding process more and more. I always get the ebci but it doesn't always get us A group. Last year we ended up with B group, so we used family boarding which I have never done before. DD turns7 this year so thats out. I was thinking of getting the upgrade to A1-A15 but it looks like you cant do that until 24hours ahead?

Looking at business select and it is around$100 or 10,000 pts more but I'm thinking maybe it is worth it. We just traveled last week and there was a LONG line to check bags and the business select had no line. With EBCI, DH and I got A23/A24. DD6 and DS9 got 43/44 despite being linked to me. So I hung back with them in the 41-45 slot. After standing there since they called to line up, we start to move. Last minute this lady comes running through and pushed by me and the kids shouting "I'm A40!!" It was just ridiculous to me.

I keep saying I'm going to stick to Jetblue or try another airline but SW just always has more direct flights with better times. I'm thinking maybe business select will help my experience? I really prefer to just pay for a seat, especially close to the front. So I can get off as soon as possbible. Lol. I think I'm starting to get needy in my older years.
I have not used Business Select, but I hear you. The other day I booked a flight on United instead of SW - about 4K more points (I transferred URs) per flight (so about 8K more round trip per person). I used to love SW, but their boarding process is getting tiring. In my case both SW and United were direct flights. Different airports, but I live within 60 min of three airports, so that really didn't matter.

Our son lives in Orlando so I fly SW a lot ISP to MCO…I usually book the cheapest fare with RR points then buy the upgrade A1-15 at the 24 hour mark…it’s just DH and I and we haven’t had an issue….the check bag line definitely comes in handy at MCO.

We are going down to celebrate Christmas this year with my sons family in Orlando and I did use 10,000 more points per flight to book business select since I’m not sure if the upgrades will be available.

DH has been flying SW a lot for work and he books biz select whenever possible (of course we aren't paying for those flights). It really does make things easier when you're A1 instead of Bx, but we mostly fly United domestically because we prefer to know where we are sitting, etc. Whether it's worth it or not is really up to you, but I'm not opposed to spending a bit more to relieve some stress and anxiety.

The Chase Freedom also has Hotels as a category -

EARN 5% CASH BACK AT AMAZON.COM, HOTELS AND RESTAURANTS

Forgive me as I haven't been to the parks in a while, but do Magic bands not charge back to the room now? Used to all roll up as a room charge so I'd think your transaction would fall within the Hotel category and still get the 5%. Please someone correct my understanding if needed, I am woefully outdated after they updated how pending authorizations work a while back. But if it posts fully, check the points earning on the transaction. If it didn't pick up the Hotel category, ask the desk to change your card and see if they can reverse the previous charges. At least you may be able to salvage something more than 1% on those first charges.

(I last did the parks right as Genie+ released but was only there for a couple nights and just paid by GC everywhere and didn't bother with the bands much. So I haven't kept up with the new technology.)

Also, remember that it's $1,500 combined for the whole quarter. So you may have other charges that make up for any missed meals at the start.
Yes, I saw that after I asked the question. The charges made with my Magic Band haven't shown up in my account, but I'm hoping that they will come under the 5% discount category.

Meanwhile, we've been using our CC directly for restaurant charges, and they are recorded accurately.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, opinions, and help!!

Yes, I saw that after I asked the question. The charges made with my Magic Band haven't shown up in my account, but I'm hoping that they will come under the 5% discount category.

Meanwhile, we've been using our CC directly for restaurant charges, and they are recorded accurately.

Have a great trip! We love Pop Century :-)

Thank you! I have about a 90 minute layover on the outbound and a fabulous 3+ hours on the return so I feel like I should have plenty of time.
You'll have plenty unless you have mobility issues. I've made it from the end of T2 out to the satellite for a 40 minute connection more times that I'd like. Pro tip: Download the Frontera app, order as soon as your plane touches down and it'll be waiting for you to pick up on your way. Best airport fast food I've ever had.

I don't pay for Business Select. I would however consider moving up to Anytime. Anytime includes EBCI and puts you only behind BS, A list and A list Preferred in the boarding group list. You will be ahead of everyone that is on a WGA or WGA+ fare with EBCI.

I never buy business select but regularly upgrade after check in. Usually ranges from $20-$50 and I get 4 free upgrades on 2 different business cards. Way better buy than EBCI.

I never buy business select but regularly upgrade after check in. Usually ranges from $20-$50 and I get 4 free upgrades on 2 different business cards. Way better buy than EBCI.
This is what we do as well. But for those with more family members, it's not as good an option because you'll run out of free upgrades quickly. The anytime fares may be the better option then

Last edited:

Good to hear. Since your pending charges came through as travel I expect they'll ultimately post as the hotel too. 🤞Enjoy the trip!

Dh applied for the United business card and got the 7-10 day message. Today he was approved without having to speak to anyone. I’m not sure why it started at 7-10 but I’m glad it was approved. It was 100k for $5000 spend
How many days passed between applying and approval? I applied for a CIP two days ago and got the 7-10 day message. I thought I might be pushing my luck since it's been just over 3 months since my last Ink, but I have several things to pay this month so I went for it. I wonder if they're backlogged from apps for that 120k link. I don't want to call and get grilled. It's kind of silly, but I'd rather just apply for something else. Though I have to be careful because this happened once before with Barclay. I assumed a denial, applied for an Amex card, and ended up with both cards. Meeting two subs simultaneously is not easy for me.

How many days passed between applying and approval? I applied for a CIP two days ago and got the 7-10 day message. I thought I might be pushing my luck since it's been just over 3 months since my last Ink, but I have several things to pay this month so I went for it. I wonder if they're backlogged from apps for that 120k link. I don't want to call and get grilled. It's kind of silly, but I'd rather just apply for something else. Though I have to be careful because this happened once before with Barclay. I assumed a denial, applied for an Amex card, and ended up with both cards. Meeting two subs simultaneously is not easy for me.
Dh said it took 2 days

Looking for some advice. Thinking of doing a Disney (and maybe Universal) trip in 2025. Looking for cards that might get me some sort of benefit, whether that be points for airlines, hotel (like Swan/Dolphin or other on property), or just points to pay myself back.

In the last 24mo I was approved for a Chase Sapphire card, Sun Country Visa card, and Wells Fargo Reflect Visa (to finance a house project). I have excellent credit and so does my husband (I don't think he has applied for any cards in the last 24mo).

We both currently have chase freedoms, disney visas (no annual fee ones). I also have a Delta AE gold card and he has a blue one (no annual fee one). Years ago I had a SW card but dropped it due to annual fee and not a lot of nonstop options out of our airport to where we wanted to go (MSP). We pay off all our statement balances monthly. Depending on month for how much we charge. Not a ton of things we can charge to credit cards besides some monthly bills (a lot require checking account or charge a fee instead) and then shopping, gas, food, etc.

We've done Mexico for the last 2 trips so I used sapphire/chase to book airfare with points and delta AE/sun country to cover the rest.

I think I hit on all the suggested answers from the first page post :). Any suggestions on good options that would be useful for Disney? I know I can refer. my husband for a sapphire but that would just be another annual fee, and not sure that is worth it (plus sign up bonus doesn't look great right now).

Before I read and catch up, just back to report, I am SOOOOO happy with what we chose! We decided to do Impressions Moxche PDC. And now I see why everyone warns. We're RUINED! I think partly from the resort, partly from the 5 bottles of Clase Azul we were able to bring back, LOL.

The 187k URs for the 3 nights was a hit, so I think I'm going to close one of my CIUs and open a new one, LOL. I need a new spend. Too bad I can't put the $2k I just put on my Surpass Friday (for my new lease) on it. UGH. But I have another $1k I'm putting down soon. And a bunch of medical bills, etc coming up.

I was debating Secrets vs Impressions, and I'm very happy we did Impressions! Same resort, but the BF (who likes food) was loving the options Impressions gave us. Our room was great. No complaints, other than I'm not sitting on the rooftop in my cabana right now vs my desk at school, LOL.

Looking for some advice. Thinking of doing a Disney (and maybe Universal) trip in 2025. Looking for cards that might get me some sort of benefit, whether that be points for airlines, hotel (like Swan/Dolphin or other on property), or just points to pay myself back.

In the last 24mo I was approved for a Chase Sapphire card, Sun Country Visa card, and Wells Fargo Reflect Visa (to finance a house project). I have excellent credit and so does my husband (I don't think he has applied for any cards in the last 24mo).

We both currently have chase freedoms, disney visas (no annual fee ones). I also have a Delta AE gold card and he has a blue one (no annual fee one). Years ago I had a SW card but dropped it due to annual fee and not a lot of nonstop options out of our airport to where we wanted to go (MSP). We pay off all our statement balances monthly. Depending on month for how much we charge. Not a ton of things we can charge to credit cards besides some monthly bills (a lot require checking account or charge a fee instead) and then shopping, gas, food, etc.

We've done Mexico for the last 2 trips so I used sapphire/chase to book airfare with points and delta AE/sun country to cover the rest.

I think I hit on all the suggested answers from the first page post :). Any suggestions on good options that would be useful for Disney? I know I can refer. my husband for a sapphire but that would just be another annual fee, and not sure that is worth it (plus sign up bonus doesn't look great right now).
Anything that is really worthwhile from a travel stand point is going to have an annual fee. It's what you get for that annual fee and what you can use it reduce it's effects that matter. My two favorite cards are the AMEX Gold and the Chase Sapphire Preferred. The Sapphire Preferred has a $95 AF but a very easy to use hotel credit of $50/year. It also has the ability to transfer those Freedom points and then transfer those to SW, United, Bonvoy (for Swan/Dolphin) or Hyatt. The AMEX Gold is 4x on groceries and dining with a $250 AF but there are two $10 monthly credits, one that can be used at Grubhub and a few other places and one for Uber. I usually use my Uber credit for Uber Eats pick up and get a free lunch every month I was going to pay for anyway. That brings the effective AF down to $10. AMEX points transfer to Delta, Hilton and Bonvoy. In 2019 I was able to find MSP-MCO flights for 17k Delta SkyMiles RT. Don't think I'll see that level again from Delta but I usually get a ticket or two annually out of my AMEX Gold card.

Anyone get the Hyatt Business Card? It looks like it doesn't come with a FNC. Is that right? It does get $100 Hyatt credit ($50 2x a year). Does anyone know if you get that in the first year or do you have to wait until the 2nd anniversary? I'm planning a trip for next year and would use the credit in the first year if available.

You might want to ask over on the Swan/Dolphin thread on the Resort forum, but it sounds like there's not much that you can do to get upgrades there based on status, because so many guests have high status in the Marriott program. I think some people get a breakfast credit, but I'm not sure what status you need to get that. So be cautious before getting a Marriott card if you're only thinking of it for Swan/Dolphin.

Some people like the Disney Rewards card, because you earn points that can be used to pay for a Disney hotel stay, Disney restaurants, and purchases at Disney shops. That card sometimes has perks, like right now you can get free dining with that card. But a lot of people think it doesn't make sense to get that card because you only earn 1% in rewards; lots of other cards pay better.

Universal has a card, but if I don't know how much time you spend there:
https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/universal-rewards-visa

Anyone get the Hyatt Business Card? It looks like it doesn't come with a FNC. Is that right? It does get $100 Hyatt credit ($50 2x a year). Does anyone know if you get that in the first year or do you have to wait until the 2nd anniversary? I'm planning a trip for next year and would use the credit in the first year if available.
Correct, it doesn’t come with a FNC. You receive the $50 x 2 within the first year. But if you want the credit for the same stay, break the charge up into two $50 charges because you won’t get two $50 credits if you make a single $100 charge, if that makes sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter