I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Trying to talk DH into a 24 hr trip to RDU to watch a soccer tournament. SW flights, Hyatt hotel, both on points. We'd pay for tournament tickets and food and be back for DS to play in his soccer game Sunday afternoon. He's not biting. 🤨

Anyone targeting the JW Marriott Masai Mara (tagging @calypso726), be aware of severe flooding issues at the property. Must've been very scary for the guests there when this happened. Yikes.
:laughing:I knew some of you would figure out what I was up to :rolleyes1 I am now actively planning for this, not speculating and that is what has caused me to add a P3 and P4 as I'm Bonvoyed out of new SUBs :rolleyes: It's gonna cost me 600K BonBlah points with 5th night free and I refuse to transfer URs or MRs despite the CPP value.

I saw the reports, pictures. Terrifying to be honest and it did give me pause. I was seriously torn between am I crazy for still wanting to go or am I being paranoid about this now. I absolutely will not be going during rainy season, so there's that. I did think about just waiting for the Tanzania property to open in 2026 but honestly, I'd rather do both.

Potential devaluations being what they are and well you get the picture. Heck, the Waldorf Astoria in Costa Rice opened up at 95k points a night for a standard room and then shot up to 120k points a night in no time. Fortunately, I grabbed a few nights at 95k. The CPP is good for Hilton even at 120k as the property is at $2799 a night for my dates which is just insane. So, I can see the JWMM going up in points down the line or the Tanzania opening up higher than 150k a night.

After mulling it back and forth yesterday, I decided I am going to continue planning for it and we will see how things go. Definitely going to pick up trip insurance since their cancellation policy is absurd even on a points stay but I will need to make sure it covers property destroyed by flood too. I appreciate the heads up and letting me know just in case.:flower3:

Last edited:
Maybe it's time for me to figure out how to churn my CSR. No Sapphire bonus since 8/2018.

Same here. My CSP is from 9/2019.

The recommendation is PC it to a freedom card and wait 4 days to apply…if you cancel it’s a 30 day wait

That's my plan (PC). I read somewhere that there *should* be referrals available for same offer soon? P2 has a CSP and would love to have them refer.

The recommendation is PC it to a freedom card and wait 4 days to apply…if you cancel it’s a 30 day wait
Has anyone done this while having existing reservations booked under CSR on the portal? I don’t know why I’m so afraid of something going wrong with those if I PC. Plus I have some flights booked where I paid taxes with the CSR for the insurance. I guess I’d lose that when I take the flights in 2025. Off to weigh risk/reward trade off.

:laughing:I knew some of you would figure out what I was up to :rolleyes1 I am now actively planning for this, not speculating and that is what has caused me to add a P3 and P4 as I'm Bonvoyed out of new SUBs :rolleyes: It's gonna cost me 600K BonBlah points with 5th night free and I refuse to transfer URs or MRs despite the CPP value.
That's just crazy - because that doesn't even include the Masai Mara National Reserve entrance fee which I read is $200/day/person.

Has anyone done this while having existing reservations booked under CSR on the portal? I don’t know why I’m so afraid of something going wrong with those if I PC. Plus I have some flights booked where I paid taxes with the CSR for the insurance. I guess I’d lose that when I take the flights in 2025. Off to weigh risk/reward trade off.
I have done a PC with hotels booked using URs …the reservations stayed the same….no idea on the insurance part, but I guess you could PC it back to a CSR before the trip 🤷🏼‍♀️

I am also considering it's about time to churn my Sapphire. Has anyone recently had success PCing to the old Freedom Card (the Visa that has the rotating categories?) We have "extra" of the CFF cards but they don't work at Costco so we can never use that category. I am always tempted to try to PC one of the CFFs or a CFU for that card but I don't know if they let you do that since they are all in the same family of cards?

I am also considering it's about time to churn my Sapphire. Has anyone recently had success PCing to the old Freedom Card (the Visa that has the rotating categories?) We have "extra" of the CFF cards but they don't work at Costco so we can never use that category. I am always tempted to try to PC one of the CFFs or a CFU for that card but I don't know if they let you do that since they are all in the same family of cards?
About a year ago I PCd a CSR to the old freedom card…don’t have a more recent DP though

And the limit is not being enforced…
Ooh, didn’t know that! Ordered 2 this morning, will try some more.

Was just able to add 2 more. Yay. Checked out of our resort in Orlando this morning, hanging by the pool. Really enjoyed our stay at Marriott Sabal Palms, used my 3 50,000 FNC plus a 35,000 FNC and one night at 36,000 points. Great layout of 2 BR villas, very relaxing.

Last edited:
Did you accomplish it via SM or did you have to call? What is the exact name of that card?
Not the person you asked, but pretty sure you always have to call Chase to SM because they have to read you some terms. It’s just called Chase Freedom. ( there is also a freedom unlimited and a freedom flex, but you don’t want those!) no idea if it is still available though.

That's just crazy - because that doesn't even include the Masai Mara National Reserve entrance fee which I read is $200/day/person.

Yup. I’m well aware of the fees which went up since they opened. This is why I don’t mind doing it on points. Otherwise I’d like be spending 500k BonBlah points for Taylor Swift tickets instead 😂

Trying to decide if I should downgrade my AMEX BCP to the BCE. I got it March 2023 and my AF just hit last week. It's $95 and I know I more than recoup that with 6% cash back on groceries for the firs $6K spend. Which BTW I forgot about the 6K limit last year which I hit back in Oct., but still kept putting the majority of my grocery store purchases on that card >:(. Currently I also have the Plat and DH has the gold, so I'm trying to weigh if the 4x MR are worth more than the 6% cash back? Also, I'm trying to cut back on some of the Annual Fees we pay.

Quoting myself - on 4/22 I chatted with Amex and downgraded the BCP to the BCE, today I have an offer to upgrade to the BCP for a $75 credit after a $1000 spend. Seems like a no brainer, unless there is a dp of a better offer?

According to r/churning, you should ask for "Freedom with Ultimate Rewards" to get the right card.
I just called and was told NO that card is no longer available. I explained that I know that card is not available for new applications but I was told by 'someone else' that you could still do a product change to that card. The woman told me no repeatedly so I gave up with her. Do you think it's worth a HUCA?

Quoting myself - on 4/22 I chatted with Amex and downgraded the BCP to the BCE, today I have an offer to upgrade to the BCP for a $75 credit after a $1000 spend. Seems like a no brainer, unless there is a dp of a better offer?

Historically, there was a $150 no AF offer, but I don't know if it's around anymore.

I just called and was told NO that card is no longer available. I explained that I know that card is not available for new applications but I was told by 'someone else' that you could still do a product change to that card. The woman told me no repeatedly so I gave up with her. Do you think it's worth a HUCA?

I see successful DPs as recently as 2 months ago, so probably worth a HUCA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter