I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The r/churning discussion on Marriott is such a mess right now. It's like a bunch of Bros trying to one-up each other with doom and gloom scenarios.

Obviously the frustration over the reduction in earnings on the SPG card is warranted, but some people take those complaints to an extreme. It seems some people forget that Marriott's goal is for people to earn points STAYING in their hotels. They aren't really concerned with people who were MSing for points to transfer to airlines, lol. One person said they should rename the program Marriott Punishments...and called the program worthless. Did this person even read anything?? Some doom and gloom posts around the peak, off peak stuff. And the biggest issue - a bunch of stupid arguments about how all the current categories will map in to the new categories. There are literally people saying this is great for SPG loyalists and bad for Marriott and then 2 posts later people saying how terrible it is for SPG loyalists and great for Marriott...

I guess we all just love to speculate and it's fun to tell people how terrible everything is going to be? :confused3

I will continue to remain optimistic that Marriott will not make insane and stupid changes to anger their existing loyal customer base and newly acquired equally loyal SPG base. :)

The r/churning discussion on Marriott is such a mess right now. It's like a bunch of Bros trying to one-up each other with doom and gloom scenarios.

Obviously the frustration over the reduction in earnings on the SPG card is warranted, but some people take those complaints to an extreme. It seems some people forget that Marriott's goal is for people to earn points STAYING in their hotels. They aren't really concerned with people who were MSing for points to transfer to airlines, lol. One person said they should rename the program Marriott Punishments...and called the program worthless. Did this person even read anything?? Some doom and gloom posts around the peak, off peak stuff. And the biggest issue - a bunch of stupid arguments about how all the current categories will map in to the new categories. There are literally people saying this is great for SPG loyalists and bad for Marriott and then 2 posts later people saying how terrible it is for SPG loyalists and great for Marriott...

I guess we all just love to speculate and it's fun to tell people how terrible everything is going to be? :confused3

I will continue to remain optimistic that Marriott will not make insane and stupid changes to anger their existing loyal customer base and newly acquired equally loyal SPG base. :)

Sounds like churning and credit cards is their sports talk. I can just hear the call in radio shows now (said in a Philly accent) - Well Gene, the SPG loyalists have really stuck with them and this change is just not working and all the Marriott guys are getting it great. I really think putting the Swan and Dolphin in cat 5 and 6 is going to screw us all. I'll listen off air.

Yes I'm from Seattle, no I've never lived in Philly, no our sports radio shows out here aren't like this, yes I listen to the Bob & Sheri show on podcast and Sheri does an awesome sports call in show impersonation in a Philly accent, yes I know that's really how some of the sports shows go back east :D

ETA - I have picture in picture going with the Mariners game and the Sharks/Ducks playoff game...if only I could have sound for both without using the radio. Super confusing but I could keep up.

I have Amex personal SPG. Year annual fee posted this weekend. I was going to call and cancel unless they had a decent retention offer. Is that a good plan? Or should I just cancel at this point? Or keep it and not bother to call?

AND I never did get Amex SPG business. Should I jump on it now? Now 5/24 until September. Realistically though I don’t see that I am getting any more credit with Chase without cutting lines or cards. There are also not any cards from Chase I really want other than the Marriott maybe. The whole reason for that or the SPG biz would be for airline transfer partners. I also do no have any membership reward cards. I have been thinking that I should leave Amex spots open for that....but maybe it can wait since the SPG biz is going to be gone soon?!?

Thanks for letting me think it out. Any input welcome.
The SPG business card appears to be going away. DoC says this card won’t be available for new sign ups in the future. Now is the time to get SPG Biz! :) Regarding AMEX card spots - most MR earning cards are charge cards so no worries with spots. Plat, PRG, Ameriprise Gold, Green, BGR, Biz Green - all charge cards. The only MR earning CCs to my knowledge are ED, EDP and BB+ and it's tough to hold both ED and EDP at the same time. You probably will want to keep a slot for a BB+ or ED to keep your MRs active, otherwise you're good. Hope this helps, I realize I just used 40 acronyms in 2 sentences...

I have Amex personal SPG. Year annual fee posted this weekend. I was going to call and cancel unless they had a decent retention offer. Is that a good plan? Or should I just cancel at this point? Or keep it and not bother to call?

AND I never did get Amex SPG business. Should I jump on it now? Now 5/24 until September. Realistically though I don’t see that I am getting any more credit with Chase without cutting lines or cards. There are also not any cards from Chase I really want other than the Marriott maybe. The whole reason for that or the SPG biz would be for airline transfer partners. I also do no have any membership reward cards. I have been thinking that I should leave Amex spots open for that....but maybe it can wait since the SPG biz is going to be gone soon?!?

DoC recommends applying for both SPG. before they turn to statement credit.
DoC recommends applying for Marriott Biz.
DoC recommends NOT apply for Marriott Premier.

ouch. that will hurt... @speedyfishy will not be pleased...
I heard they put this system in place, it required u to do some signing... then it went back to normal... my guess its its a rollout now?

Sounds like churning and credit cards is their sports talk. I can just hear the call in radio shows now (said in a Philly accent) - Well Gene, the SPG loyalists have really stuck with them and this change is just not working and all the Marriott guys are getting it great. I really think putting the Swan and Dolphin in cat 5 and 6 is going to screw us all. I'll listen off air.

Yes I'm from Seattle, no I've never lived in Philly, no our sports radio shows out here aren't like this, yes I listen to the Bob & Sheri show on podcast and Sheri does an awesome sports call in show impersonation in a Philly accent, yes I know that's really how some of the sports shows go back east :D

ETA - I have picture in picture going with the Mariners game and the Sharks/Ducks playoff game...if only I could have sound for both without using the radio. Super confusing but I could keep up.
That's a great analogy :rotfl2:

Seriously though - Marriott has 1,382 hotels in current Cat 5 and Cat 6. That's over 25% of their total properties. Many people are assuming these are all now going to fit in the new Category 5. Do people really think they are going to take 1,382 hotels that are currently 25k and 30k points a night and move them all up to 35k points a night??? Everybody just wants to complain about the devaluation that's coming and corporate greed and blah blah blah. There are smart people planning this merger...they cannot possibly be pitching a deval on 25% of their properties. Maybe I'm way too optimistic...but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt until something something bad is announced.

So you say you "want" the Hilton Aspire. I would ask what specific use you have for those points or benefits that come with that card? It seems like that is the card you can wait on.

I think that's the question all around - which points and benefits do you need first? It sounds like you want to have the CSR so that you can book that Disney trip for next summer. I would assume that means you are sitting on a chunk of URs to use for that too. I'd say you stick with CSR first because you don't want to jeopardize your chance of getting approved for that card. Then from there just rank the other cards in terms of use and importance. If you got the CSR in May you would have more clarity on the Southwest situation (which is still a rumor) hopefully by July.

Well, the Hilton is partly for the trip next summer also. When the news came out about charging for parking, I started looking at other options and decided that that trip would be a split stay between the Doubletree in Disney Springs and a WDW resort. We're also planning to stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in 2020. So, I know that I'll use the Hilton points and benefits that come with that card. But I think you're right that the CSR is the first priority, since I don't have specific plans for the Marriott points, although I know they'll come in handy (For instance, we're using points we got from the SPG personal card for a Marriott hotel at DL this summer).

Seriously though - Marriott has 1,382 hotels in current Cat 5 and Cat 6. That's over 25% of their total properties. Many people are assuming these are all now going to fit in the new Category 5. Do people really think they are going to take 1,382 hotels that are currently 25k and 30k points a night and move them all up to 35k points a night??? Everybody just wants to complain about the devaluation that's coming and corporate greed and blah blah blah. There are smart people planning this merger...they cannot possibly be pitching a deval on 25% of their properties. Maybe I'm way too optimistic...but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt until something something bad is announced.

im steaming... i like my 1x SPG point, not 2x Marriott Points... :| also the loss of Lounge Access is big for me. i wished i used this more often than i original did.

I would concur with all 3 of these statements :) What do you think @Albort...would you agree too?

seems logical. I do concur.

Just got in last night, and haven't been online all day. My mom came into town to stay with our kids while dh & I went to FL. She's still here and I need to spend time with her so this is my first time back on the board for a couple of days. Ugh, I read back to try to understand all the chatter about Starriott but I'm gonna need to do more digging to understand it all. All of a sudden, I feel like I need to apply for a SPG personal for myself though! I'm about $2,400 through my dh's SPG biz so a lot to go still. I'm going to try to send a payment to my mortgage and see how it goes. Totally nervous for some reason!

FL was good! We had a great trip, even though we did not get to visit any parks and did a ton of driving. We got to enjoy the DIA lounge on the way out and upon arrival last night. Not sure if that is the norm but we were hungry, asked if it was allowed to be used upon arrival and they said, 'Sure' :) We did not use the MCO lounge because I didn't want to have to battle security twice, which is what it appeared we'd have to do since we were flying SWA.

Hmm, back to debating the SPG personal and off to figure out what the chatter is all about!

In addition to what everyone’s already said:

The only Chase card you might still want is the Marriott card. I’m assuming personal Marriott, in which case you’re 5/24 and can’t get it yet. The Marriott Premier card currently has a 75k Marriott Rewards offer after $3k/3 months, first year AF waived. And you might not want to sign up for this card because it will probably preclude you from getting the Marriott Premier Plus card that’s expected to have a 100k Marriott Rewards offer. You can get the equivalent 75k Marriott Rewards points by signing up for the SPG Biz 25k SPG offer while it’s still available. The downside is the MSR for the same amount of points is $5k instead of $3k, but the SPG Biz won’t add to your */24 count with Chase so you can still proceed with your schedule of getting under 5/24 by September. Question is do you have the spend to meet $5k in the next 3 months?

[ETA] I guess the other option is the Chase Marriott Biz, which also has a 75k Marriott Rewards offer after $3k/3 months, and is not subject to 5/24. But I recall you had a tough time getting the CIP and you may be at the limit of your extendable credit with Chase, so you may not want to touch this card.

As for Membership Rewards cards, many of Amex’s MR-earning cards (particularly the ones with the biggest bonuses) are “charge cards” that don’t count against Amex’s 5 “credit cards” limit or 2/90 (2 credit cards in 90 days). So getting a SPG Biz really won’t have much practical effect on your ability to get approved for and hold several MR-earning cards.

Last edited:
im steaming... i like my 1x SPG point, not 2x Marriott Points... :| also the loss of Lounge Access is big for me. i wished i used this more often than i original did.

Me too. The 2x Marriott instead if 1x SPG is a real bummer. I wasn't even MSing the card.

I will agree the credit card earning rate is a clear step in the wrong direction for those that used it. My businessman take on it though, is that their primary concern are the people earning points via staying at their properties. Obviously if concessions had to be made somewhere to get the numbers to add up, this is probably why they'd pull back on the earning rate. This is also why I have optimism about the award chart - they are trying to avoid negative publicity in this whole thing. An article saying "Marriott increases points per night at 25% of properties - half by 40% and the other half by 17%" would not play well. We will obviously see in the next few months how that one plays out.

I do feel for folks that were earning a lot of SPG points via everyday spend - that hurts for sure.

Last edited:

When I told my wife that Marriott killed Sheraton club lounge access (which she loved on our recent Disneyland trip) on her new SPG Biz card, she asked, “Why are we keeping this card then?”

Oh we won’t after the year is up.

When I told my wife that Marriott killed Sheraton club lounge access (which she loved on our recent Disneyland trip) on her new SPG Biz card, she asked, “Why are we keeping this card then?”

i dont see a reason for my SPG personal now... asides Amex offers... but the 4x for the SPG biz seems kinda interesting though. i may replace my gas card(citi typ) with it depending how these new points are valued.

I do think that the new SPG Amex card that comes with gold status and a cap on the free night might not worth be keeping depending on what 50,000 point night gets you. Then again, the $300 Marriott credit seems like a nice touch. The Hilton Aspire has the same fee and has way better benefits IMO.

Either way, I plan to pick up the new SPG luxury Amex card when it is released.

I also thought the Hilton Aspire has more generous benefits and was hoping the super-premium Starriott card would follow that lead. I think automatic Gold status is a bit weak on Starriott’s own card, considering some of the devaluation to that tier with the announcements; and useless if the Plats continue to offer automatic Gold status as a benefit (eta, which is why I thought the Hilton Aspire offered automatic Platinum to distinguish it from the Plats that gave HH Gold status).

Last edited:

Agree with @SouthFayetteFan I see no reason to not pick up the SPG Biz if:
-you can handle the spend
-you don't need the Amex slot for another card in the next 12 months
If you're clear on those 2 I'd grab it since it won't hit your 5/24.

Last edited:

I'm still concerned the team that did the IHG changes is lurking in the wings on this one...

Yeah, I only got the card for the points boost to our Marriott stash, but dang it! one of the few tangible benefits of the card and I'll most likely never get to use it. I was looking forward to actually seeing a hotel lounge sometime during this year. Wasn't sure if I was going to hang on to it once the annual fee hits, and I haven't read everything in depth yet, but it's not looking good.

Plastiq has apparently reached out to DoC with an offer. New payers only: a 2% processing fee on mortgages and rent for the first 6 payments. You're also supposed to get the normal $500 FFDs. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/new-...-with-any-credit-card-for-a-2-processing-fee/
**We don't post blogger offers here because most of them are only promoting offers that give them the best kick-backs but DoC always mentions if they receive a kick-back of any kind from an offer and they make no mention here of getting one.**

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter