I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm reading about the new Marriott Premier Plus card and it says there:

Automatic Silver Elite Status: You will automatically receive Silver Elite Status each account anniversary year as a cardmember (“Account anniversary year” means the year beginning with account open date through the anniversary of your account open date, and each 12 months after that).

But doesn't say how that will happen, currently they credit you with nights to achieve that. Since they don't mention nights I'm wondering if it changes to a simple status check box (do you have the CC? check. account is silver) But if they give you 10 nights on your anniversary year to make that happen, then it could stack with the 15 you get as the next perk that starts 2019:

15 Elite Night Credits: Each calendar year a maximum of 15 Elite Night credits will be credited to one of your Marriott Loyalty Program accounts operated by Marriott International (i.e., Marriott Rewards®, Starwood Preferred Guest® or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards®) (the “Marriott Loyalty Program”) on or before March 1 in accordance with the Marriott Loyalty Program terms and conditions.

However, if that were to happen everyone with a CC would be gold at some point. (i.e. I get my 15 nights on or before March 1. My anniversary year is March, I get another 10 nights, I'm now at 25 in the same calendar year). So that's just confusing, if each calendar year you'll get the 15 nights that pretty much gives you the Automatic Silver Elite just as it does now.
Possibly the automatic status is just for 2018 since the elite nights aren't starting until 2019. (So you get 10 nights when you open the card which are good through Dec 31. Then Jan 1 you get the 15 nights which keeps you at Silver Elite. If they're slow crediting those nights and it takes until March 1, you're still silver Elite because of the automatic status thingie) But since the SPG cards have the same automatic language, I'm leaning towards the check box concept rather than being given actual nights. So you might get the perks of Silver Elite but you have to earn the full 25 nights to get to Gold Elite (likewise, perks of Gold Elite but need 50 nights or spend to make the Platinum). The 15 nights are then technically counting towards the next level, just maybe not as quickly as one would like :)
This makes sense. So in the case of the SPG Luxury card, you’ll have automatic Gold Elite status but still just 15 Elite Nights credit, and you’ll have to either stay 35 more nights or spend $75K on the card to get Platinum. (Maybe? Probably? I guess we’ll see for sure once someone actually gets the card and reports what it says in their account.)

On another note, the new Marriott Premier Plus card does not have the elite night credit for every 3k in spend like the current Premier and Biz cards.
And more confusion for the current Marriott cards it still says Cat 1-5 for the free night but only valued up to 25k points. But in the new chart 25k points is a Cat 4. So I guess it's Cat 1-5 if booked pre Aug 1, after Aug 1 it's really Cat 1-4. (we used our night already so doesn't affect me, we won't get the next one until after the change) Still really need to see the new list of property values to see if that's a devaluation or not.
I noticed that too about the Marriott free nights now saying up to 25,000 points. Which makes it pretty useless to keep both Marriott & SPG cards, since the SPG free nights are good for up to 35,000 point properties. Annoying that they didn’t give them the same value, considering that the cards have the same annual fee. I haven’t gotten a free night cert from my Marriott Biz yet, and won’t until next February. I was planning to cancel the card anyway but now really have no incentive to keep it since I’ll also be getting 2 (more valuable) free nights from the SPG cards.

Next on my research list: lifetime status. At first glance, it looks like it just got easier so I'm sure I'm missing something :D
Godspeed and good luck, friend.

I do have the 80k MRs. So would you recommend DH applies for the Marriott premier with the 100k and not risk me being denied for the Marriott Biz?

I wasn’t counting the Amex biz card since it’s not in my credit report. That’s why I thought I was 1/6.

We have a mortgage credit scores in the high 700.

would you recommend we wait until May to get DH the new Marriott card for DH. And just buy the points we need to get to top off?

I was just thinking I could just transfer the URs over, because I would be transferring them to United anyways to get the rest of the points we need to get to Hawaii.
Interesting thought on the MR or UR transfer... so you need 240k Marriott points to just book the hotel. The travel package requires 120k more points and those become 132k United miles. So using URs or MRs is not a bad plan.

As far as which card to get and when...I think your stats are correct. Hard to say when the right time to apply is though...I might have your husband go for the Marriott personal now and use MRs or URs to top off the points. Also - isn’t there a rumor that there might be an upgrade offer available to the new Marriott card?

Quick question.

Can I sign up for a CIP for me, under my wife's business? Technically it's "our" business, she just runs it.

If I setup a CIP and add an employee card for my wife, does that have any impact on her credit or her 5/24?
Is it a business or a “business”. If the latter then why not? Lol since it’s already a “business”.

Adding the AU shouldn’t have an affect since it won’t report on her personal credit report.

Quick question.

Can I sign up for a CIP for me, under my wife's business? Technically it's "our" business, she just runs it.

If I setup a CIP and add an employee card for my wife, does that have any impact on her credit or her 5/24?

Yes you can apply under the business that belongs to both of you.

I’m not sure many of us are adding spouses to business cards as AU so DP’s May be slim. But if it doesn’t count against the person applying, it should be the same for any AU.

Well, I can report a "business" under my name for consulting. Or, my wife has two legit business. One selling Matilda Jane clothing for which she has her own CIP. That's a sole Prop. The other is a new bookkeeping business that is setup as a single member LLC (tax filing as a sole prop). Both with legit revenue and both with business cards, marketing, etc.

EDIT: my goal for adding the employee card is to allow her to help meet the MSR.

Where is everybody tonight - why so quiet after midnight?? HAHA!

I checked my last post, I made it after midnight... barely :D
Brain fried after looking at all the terms on the new Starriott cards. And someone threatened to take away my laptop :rolleyes1

How long does it typically take to see earned nights and points show up after a paid in cash stay at Marriott??

I think we usually see it within 3-5 business days after checkout.

This makes sense. So in the case of the SPG Luxury card, you’ll have automatic Gold Elite status but still just 15 Elite Nights credit, and you’ll have to either stay 35 more nights or spend $75K on the card to get Platinum. (Maybe? Probably? I guess we’ll see for sure once someone actually gets the card and reports what it says in their account.)

I noticed that too about the Marriott free nights now saying up to 25,000 points. Which makes it pretty useless to keep both Marriott & SPG cards, since the SPG free nights are good for up to 35,000 point properties. Annoying that they didn’t give them the same value, considering that the cards have the same annual fee. I haven’t gotten a free night cert from my Marriott Biz yet, and won’t until next February. I was planning to cancel the card anyway but now really have no incentive to keep it since I’ll also be getting 2 (more valuable) free nights from the SPG cards.

Godspeed and good luck, friend.

Well for the Marriott/SPG cards, the new Marriott Plus card has the same fee of $95 and that card has the same 35k limit. The current Premier card has an $85 AF, so I can see having a lower points limit. However, I didn't realize the Biz card was $99 and that only gets the 25k as well. They had a call out that new benefits were coming in Aug but not having the card don't know if that's still TBD or it's included in the details already. I hope it's TBD.
If you've got 2 SPG, the only redeeming value the current Marriott cards have is the elite night credit for every 3k in spend. And I still think that's not a make or break for the card so yeah, agreed, not seeing a good reason for you to keep one.
I was excited when my SPG got a free night but seeing the difference in points, I'd either be stuck with 25k for $95 if we want to use it together with hubby's Marriott. Or be back to using single nights. Or back to figuring out which one to cancel if we don't want 3 single night cards (or paying $10 more for the same room).

Well, I can report a "business" under my name for consulting. Or, my wife has two legit business. One selling Matilda Jane clothing for which she has her own CIP. That's a sole Prop. The other is a new bookkeeping business that is setup as a single member LLC (tax filing as a sole prop). Both with legit revenue and both with business cards, marketing, etc.

EDIT: my goal for adding the card is to allow her to help meet the MSR.
To be honest...you’re going to sign up using your name and you could put literally any category and probably get approved. :rotfl2:

You’re probably overthinking it haha. Just say you’re starting a Whale Watching Business in Kansas and expect to have $1,000 in revenue. You’ll probably be approved :rotfl: (I Kid!)

Well, let's see how it goes. I have too much credit extended so I expect to get a recon call.

Got the 30 day message online. Recon lines says 2 weeks. Here's hoping.

Hopefully they don’t call you! They called on my CIP and it was stressful. Similar situation to yourself where my husband had CIP and legitimate business and I was getting own CIP since help him and I am on the licenses etc anyway. Ultimately they called because of too much credit on the personal but ultimately ended up giving it to me. Only a $5000 credit limit but I was approved. If you got the 2 week notification already you are probably good.

If we have three legit businesses, can I get a CIP for each? And, can I separately get one for my wife for each, so like 6 CIPs (and 6 80,000 plus referral credits.,....)

If we have three legit businesses, can I get a CIP for each? And, can I separately get one for my wife for each, so like 6 CIPs (and 6 80,000 plus referral credits.,....)

hahaha, wow, you are ambitious! You can definitely hold more than one. I have seen that on reddit. People use and EIN for one and their social for another. I would suggest spacing each one out by 6 months...for the same applicant. Maybe do some searching on reddit for DPs of people holding 3 CIPs.

I was just thinking I could just transfer the URs over, because I would be transferring them to United anyways to get the rest of the points we need to get to Hawaii.
Before transferring UR points consider purchasing SPG points on sale and using your UR points as a statement credit to reimburse yourself.
As an example: 10,000 SPG points would transfer to Marriott as 30,000. The cost would be $227.50, so take a 22,750 statement credit to “pay” yourself back. The result is 30,000 Marriott points for 22,750 UR points.

Potentially...

Do each of these 3 businesses have their own EIN? Or are you applying under your and your wife's SSNs (or the same EIN)? When applying, are you applying as a sole proprietor or partnership (or what kind of business entity?) It really depends how you structure your applications and how much credit Chase is willing to extend to you.

As @disneymagicgirl pointed out, people report often being able to get 2 CIP: one by applying with their SSN and another with SSN+EIN (this could also work if you apply for 2 CIPs on your SSN with 2 different EINs). In these cases, the second application would be a referral from themselves or their spouse. And as @disneymagicgirl noted, these people tend to space out their CIP applications by 6 months or more.

Before transferring UR points consider purchasing SPG points on sale and using your UR points as a statement credit to reimburse yourself.
As an example: 10,000 SPG points would transfer to Marriott as 30,000. The cost would be $227.50, so take a 22,750 statement credit to “pay” yourself back. The result is 30,000 Marriott points for 22,750 UR points.
Wow, this is a REALLY good tip in this specific situation. :)

Thanks for the tip! That's why I like coming here to ask questions before making big decision.
Wow, this is a REALLY good tip in this specific situation. :)
I think that's a great idea too. But I think I've decided to transfer MRs. I was actually trying to find a way to use our MRs for the flights and this is the perfect way. I'm going to have DH apply for the Marriott card on May 1st (he'll be 3/12), that's would be 78K points making us 60K short. I'll just transfer 60K to SPG from MR. Meaning we won't have to touch our URs for the flights and I get to use MRs for our United flights.

Okay, this is really bad, but prior to following along with this thread I never paid much attention to my credit cards. I've had a Discover card for forever and used it to pay off another higher APR card with a special offer low APR. I'm about to pay off the balance and I was looking at the statement and saw a cash back balance of 7.43. Well, I wanted that money so I registered that card and OMG, I learned that I can get 5% off groceries through June! I know some of you have mentioned this, but I just didn't think I had that Discover card that gave 5% back like all of you do. So, now I have to decide if I want to use my Discover card on groceries or use my CSP to earn URs. Decisions, decisions!

Okay, this is really bad, but prior to following along with this thread I never paid much attention to my credit cards. I've had a Discover card for forever and used it to pay off another higher APR card with a special offer low APR. I'm about to pay off the balance and I was looking at the statement and saw a cash back balance of 7.43. Well, I wanted that money so I registered that card and OMG, I learned that I can get 5% off groceries through June! I know some of you have mentioned this, but I just didn't think I had that Discover card that gave 5% back like all of you do. So, now I have to decide if I want to use my Discover card on groceries or use my CSP to earn URs. Decisions, decisions!
Personally, I would take 5% cashback with Discover over 1 UR point per dollar, worth 1.25 cents. I'm in that boat right now, and will use Discover for groceries (and also will buy gift cards for other places at the grocery store). For me, even if I transfer my UR points to another program, I don't see a case where I'll get 5 cents of value with them. I just take my cashback from Discover and either use it towards travel, or redeem it for a gift card I will use on a trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter