I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Muahaha, we have you hooked now!!

When I talk to coworkers or friends about this game, it’s crazy all the reasons you’ll discover why people don’t do it.
  • They don’t payoff cards each month
  • They don’t trust themselves to use CC
  • CCs are the devil
  • They’ve wasted/lost points in the past and now assume they’ll never get any value out of the points
  • They don’t understand how CCs work and assume they’ll get charged interest even if they pay the card off each month
  • They won’t pay an annual fee even if the sign up bonus more than offsets it.
  • They assume the 2% they get back on their double cash is as good as it gets
  • They assume that there’s a catch to the game and won’t listen to anything to the contrary
  • They think I’m exaggerating about all the “free” travel and that I’m actually deep in CC debt an in denial
  • And of course there’s all the assumptions that it wrecks your credit - despite any real world examples I provide.
I could probably come up with more...LOL!

My favorite one is "that sounds exhausting." I've heard it from several people and more than once. To that I usually ask how many hours would they need to work and save in order to fly first class to Europe and stay in a nice hotel for a week. The flights will cost around $5,000 per person and the hotel will be about $2,000 for the week. I let them think about that for a bit. Then I explain that I spend an average of 15 minutes a day on learning to do what I do. Now tell me which one of us is more exhausted?

The one I get all the time........

That sounds like too much effort (or a lot of work)

Maybe I'm explaining it wrong......:teacher:
It IS work and probably seems overwhelming for people who aren’t detail oriented or organized at all. But it isn’t that much work for the benefits IMO. Others see it differently and just the thought of 5 CCs (let alone 10 or 25 or...) freaks them out.

Thanks for the idea! I finally setup my first Plastiq payment tonight for our DD's apartment rent. I had been dreading setting it up, but is was very easy. Her apt complex has already setup for ACH, so the payments post in 3 days. Her college doesn't have ACH setup, so I figure it is cutting too close for the 8/27 payment.

I paid $500 to activate the referral of $500 fee-free dollars. I then referred my DH and he paid the remaining amount. Hopefully, once these two payments post, I should have $1,500 FFD in my account and $500 FFD in my DH's account - enough to cover almost 2 months rent. Think I can refer my DD and use the same CIP??

We did something similar but my daughter is an auth user and used her own card. I wouldn’t use a card with your name on her account (not sure if their system will even let you). Can you get her an employee card? Safer I think.

Thanks for the idea! I finally setup my first Plastiq payment tonight for our DD's apartment rent. I had been dreading setting it up, but is was very easy. Her apt complex has already setup for ACH, so the payments post in 3 days. Her college doesn't have ACH setup, so I figure it is cutting too close for the 8/27 payment.

I paid $500 to activate the referral of $500 fee-free dollars. I then referred my DH and he paid the remaining amount. Hopefully, once these two payments post, I should have $1,500 FFD in my account and $500 FFD in my DH's account - enough to cover almost 2 months rent. Think I can refer my DD and use the same CIP??

Since I plan to cancel my CIP and don’t want to worry about spend on it I used the same CIP (husband’s name and number) under both the Plastiq accounts. Seems both statements have gone through although listed as pending. So possibly too early to say definitively. But I did not have any problem setting up the two Plastiq accounts with the same card.

I signed up for a RMN account, but not sure how this is supposed to work. :confused3 Would you mind explaining what the deal is? Do different people/accounts have different deals?

I see @disneymagicgirl explained the process. Just note, the Walgreens offer of $5 off $25 ends tomorrow (8/15). Someone else may have posted that but I've been away all day and just trying to catch up!!

Since I plan to cancel my CIP and don’t want to worry about spend on it I used the same CIP (husband’s name and number) under both the Plastiq accounts. Seems both statements have gone through although listed as pending. So possibly too early to say definitively. But I did not have any problem setting up the two Plastiq accounts with the same card.

I have used both my and dh's CIP on both of our plastiq accounts and never had a problem either.

I just got back from the exact same errands, much to my kids' dismay. :cutie:
I had a pop up from the RMN app for both stores before I got back in the car.

It is almost too good to be true...this RMN thing. It is incredibly easy.

I am happy to report that the staples guy didn't ask for ID to buy a GC with a CC today, so I was able to use DH's amex. I got 2 emails from amex right away...looks like the offers stacked!!
$5/$25 + 10% back from amex AND the $10/$30 from RMN. pixiedust:

Yay for Staples working for you!! I wish it had worked for me. maybe I should try in store except our closest Staples is about 25-30 mins and I'll be highly annoyed if I drive all that way and it doesn't trigger the RMN offer. I have loved the Walgreens offer though. So stinking easy! I hope we get more of these!

I finally booked our flights to Puerto Rico for next February break! We're going to San Juan Feb 17-22. I used 109,544 UR points for 4 roundtrip tickets on Jet Blue ($1,643 cash price). I've been watching the prices for a while and $410 per person RT was the lowest I've seen, so I just went ahead and booked it.

For the hotel, I'm using 185,000 Marriott points for 5 nights at the Marriott on Condado beach. It would've been 160,000 but I'm using an extra 15,000 to upgrade to an ocean view room. We've never stayed at a beach resort like this and I figure what's the sense in staying on the beach if you don't have an ocean view, right? ;) Total cash price for the same room/same dates would be $3,308! There's a $30/night resort fee on points bookings (on cash stays it's 18%!) but I'll use the CSR travel credit (or SPG Lux credit if one of us ends up getting that card) to cover it.

I have to say, this hobby is addicting. I started out just trying to cover the cost of a hotel stay so we could fit a trip to visit my wife's family into the budget, and now two years later I'm booking trips for my family that I'd never be able to afford without using points to cover the majority of the cost. We live on a single income in an expensive city, and it's freeing to still be able to travel and give my kids these experiences. I still think one of the best things my parents ever did for me was scrape together the money to send me on a tour of the British Isles that one of my teachers arranged the summer after my 7th grade year. It was my first time traveling beyond the beach or Disney World, and I credit that experience with giving me the travel bug. Now I want to raise my own kids to be travelers.

It IS work and probably seems overwhelming for people who aren’t detail oriented or organized at all. But it isn’t that much work for the benefits IMO. Others see it differently and just the thought of 5 CCs (let alone 10 or 25 or...) freaks them out.

It's kind of like my friend that says to me 'you always get such good deals on stuff etc'. It's because there's a lot of stuff I won't pay full price price for and have (though I still slip up) slowly weened myself off of buying stuff just because I want it. Plus I'd rather do stuff and that takes money an no credit card balance. I will invest/splurge for things I know will last but if I can get them at Marshalls, TJ Maxx or Nordstrom Rack all the better. The fashionista at my old job can be impressed by the Marc Jacobs bag I carry that I got over half off orig price with saved bonus money and I'll be over here wearing my 10 year old still look nice slacks knowing she has a credit card balance on her Nordstrom card because she feels the need to keep up with trends.

I finally booked our flights to Puerto Rico for next February break! We're going to San Juan Feb 17-22. I used 109,544 UR points for 4 roundtrip tickets on Jet Blue ($1,643 cash price). I've been watching the prices for a while and $410 per person RT was the lowest I've seen, so I just went ahead and booked it.

For the hotel, I'm using 185,000 Marriott points for 5 nights at the Marriott on Condado beach. It would've been 160,000 but I'm using an extra 15,000 to upgrade to an ocean view room. We've never stayed at a beach resort like this and I figure what's the sense in staying on the beach if you don't have an ocean view, right? ;) Total cash price for the same room/same dates would be $3,308! There's a $30/night resort fee on points bookings (on cash stays it's 18%!) but I'll use the CSR travel credit (or SPG Lux credit if one of us ends up getting that card) to cover it.

I have to say, this hobby is addicting. I started out just trying to cover the cost of a hotel stay so we could fit a trip to visit my wife's family into the budget, and now two years later I'm booking trips for my family that I'd never be able to afford without using points to cover the majority of the cost. We live on a single income in an expensive city, and it's freeing to still be able to travel and give my kids these experiences. I still think one of the best things my parents ever did for me was scrape together the money to send me on a tour of the British Isles that one of my teachers arranged the summer after my 7th grade year. It was my first time traveling beyond the beach or Disney World, and I credit that experience with giving me the travel bug. Now I want to raise my own kids to be travelers.
Love it! Sounds like you have a wonderful vacation planned for your family. Well done!

I booked DCL through chase cruise and tours. I know as much as a TA though, so I called already knowing exactly what I wanted to book. The gal on the phone took care of the booking, read me a bunch of scripted stuff, etc. She did proactively take notes from me to remember to discuss with the DCL rep when she called them to make the payment, as I wasn't on the line at that point. For example, I asked her to waitlist us for 1st seating, add the kid bday celebrations, etc. She didn't offer anything without me asking first, so I don't think she was well versed in DCL.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I guess I’ll habe to think about this one.

I finally booked our flights to Puerto Rico for next February break! We're going to San Juan Feb 17-22. I used 109,544 UR points for 4 roundtrip tickets on Jet Blue ($1,643 cash price). I've been watching the prices for a while and $410 per person RT was the lowest I've seen, so I just went ahead and booked it..

We'll be there too!! Well, maybe not the Marriott, but maybe - depends on how the travel packages shake out.

Keep an eye on that Marriott booking - I think it is dropping to a Cat 5 in the new system - might be the opportunity to get a few points back.

We'll be there too!! Well, maybe not the Marriott, but maybe - depends on how the travel packages shake out.

Keep an eye on that Marriott booking - I think it is dropping to a Cat 5 in the new system - might be the opportunity to get a few points back.

What Marriott is this...? Keeping my eyes and ears open since I have a 7-night cert that I need to use :)

I have another question about the MC GC I got from Staples. How do you use it online? What do I put in the field where it asks for the name on the card? I tried 'registering' it on the website listed on the back of the card but I get an error saying it's not valid.

I have another question about the MC GC I got from Staples. How do you use it online? What do I put in the field where it asks for the name on the card? I tried 'registering' it on the website listed on the back of the card but I get an error saying it's not valid.

Use your info like normal. I've gotten visa gc from doing focus groups that don't have my name and used them on disney's site to buy a gc. I used all my normal info and it went through just fine, I would imagine mc would be the same.

The only time I've had it ever registered was the virtual ones through swagbucks and some survey/focus thing I've done that also used the same virtual place for their cards. It makes you add your name, address etc.

Use your info like normal. I've gotten visa gc from doing focus groups that don't have my name and used them on disney's site to buy a gc. I used all my normal info and it went through just fine, I would imagine mc would be the same.

The only time I've had it ever registered was the virtual ones through swagbucks and some survey/focus thing I've done that also used the same virtual place for their cards. It makes you add your name, address etc.

Ok, thanks! I will just put my name in as the name on the card. I really thought these needed to be registered but that isn't working...I have gotten these from focus groups too but I guess I always just used those locally. This one I'd like to use on Sam's club online to buy Disney GC's.

ETA: Sam's declined the card. Says it was 'declined by the issuer'. I am so over this card. I feel like I have made 50 million phone calls and I don't even understand how these continue to be sold if they are this hard to use...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter