I mean at this point, why is anyone buying direct?

We understand this.

It’s a little harder to grasp when unaware the distinctions lie within a membership. A small but vital detail. Thinking defaults to yes/no DVC member. Got the card right in their little wallet. How is a member not a member?

Since they went to the digital card, it’s pretty easy for CMs to apply correctly if they are trained well and the expectation is that they follow the correct guidelines.

Since they went to the digital card, it’s pretty easy for CMs to apply correctly if they are trained well and the expectation is that they follow the correct guidelines.
I can see that but that so many still remain confused by it? Something is not working.

I can see that but that so many still remain confused by it? Something is not working.
I don’t know but I have been there over 10 times since we went to a digital card and never had a CM not ask to see the DVC Y. I will say I have had a few you didn’t ask for my ID…but not one instance when asked “Do you have any discounts?” And I said, yes, DVC and AP, the next response is “can I see your card. Can you show me?”

I read a lot more reports of people getting turned down than getting them…so, not sure how wide spread it is in reality.

confused or don't care?
Your statement assumes that the employees are doing everything in their power.....
I would like to proofer that some aren't

in traditions, the mouse says" get this right or get get demoted to bathroom attendant"
Custodial cast members are some of the highest paid regular hourly employees, and if you are on a restroom shift, you receive a premium rate, so many of them make a good bit more than a merchandise CM.

Last edited:
confused or don't care?
I’m trying to understand it from CM pov. Most want to do their job correctly. That’s pretty evident in the parks. Yet so many still get this one thing wrong? Leads me to why.

It’s hard to fault CMs when such high rates of confusion occur specifically here. There’s much to learn and digest. Only so much real estate in the best minds.

I don’t know but I have been there over 10 times since we went to a digital card and never had a CM not ask to see the DVC Y. I will say I have had a few you didn’t ask for my ID…but not one instance when asked “Do you have any discounts?” And I said, yes, DVC and AP, the next response is “can I see your card. Can you show me?”

I read a lot more reports of people getting turned down than getting them…so, not sure how wide spread it is in reality.

We showed our white card in Apple wallet 3 times over 2 trips when asked if we were DVC. All accepted. We actually only got the discount twice because although VGF spa accepted, we were called in and forgot when completing the transaction on the way out.

I’m trying to understand it from CM pov. Most want to do their job correctly. That’s pretty evident in the parks. Yet so many still get this one thing wrong? Leads me to why.

It’s hard to fault CMs when such high rates of confusion occur specifically here. There’s much to learn and digest. Only so much real estate in the best minds.

We showed our white card in Apple wallet 3 times over 2 trips when asked if we were DVC. All accepted. We actually only got the discount twice because although VGF spa accepted, we were called in and forgot when completing the transaction on the way out.
you're making this way more difficult than it has to be...... it is easier for them to not care....
If they have to tell you no,you might complain or argue, or badger them....
if they say yes, you go away and leave them alone.....

They are not making a ton of money, and saying yes is simple.....

I think we have done this before

actually, if I understand your post correctly, by even asking you are scamming the system, and putting these cast members in this position....

you know you don't qualify for a discount seeing what you can get for free.....

My wife was told to show her membership number in the MDE app. That does not have a y or n.

It is a 7-digit number plus a dot and the number 1,2 or 3 for the 3 of us on the contract.

It says Disney Vacation Club Member

For example ID: 1234567.1

My wife was told to show her membership number in the MDE app. That does not have a y or n.

It is a 7-digit number plus a dot and the number 1,2 or 3 for the 3 of us on the contract.

but you know you have a white card but ask anyway
theft by deception Florida Statute 817.034
  1. Engages in a systematic, ongoing course of conduct;
  2. With the intent to defraud or obtain property from one or more persons;
  3. By false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, promises, or willful misrepresentations of a future act.
just sayn'

Thst is not what I have been asked to show. I have been asked to pull up my mobile card.

I understand that this was your experience and great for your wife but it doesn’t change that those CMs choose to accept something other than the pass.

That was the whole reason for the initial change.

As I have posted, it’s between the CM and the guest as to whether or not they are giving discounts to those who are not eligible.

I think we all need to move on from this. Resale buyers from 2016 on who don’t have direct points as well are not eligible for membership extras and discounts.

We understand this.

It’s a little harder to grasp when unaware the distinctions lie within a membership. A small but vital detail. Thinking defaults to yes/no DVC member. Got the card right in their little wallet. How is a member not a member?
They made it unnecessarily complex. The discount as you said doesn't even have to refer to DVC at all. It should just be do you have a blue card? If it shows up as BLUE on the mobile wallet then that's it, done. Have resale not say anything under designations.

I don't think anyone's getting worked up over it and certainly not cheering over people not getting discounts., at least I'm not. Life's too short to get worked up over who's getting 10% table service and 20% merch discounts lol.

If anything the recent posts are just cautioning others not to expect the discount all the time. The situation @tom1944 described sounds like a one-off encounter with a CM.
I was at boardwalk in June and there was a promotion where the discount was 30% now that was a nice discount and we used Disney gift cards to pay for it that were bought at 90 cents on the dollar.

you're making this way more difficult than it has to be...... it is easier for them to not care....
If they have to tell you no,you might complain or argue, or badger them....
if they say yes, you go away and leave them alone.....

They are not making a ton of money, and saying yes is simple.....

I think we have done this before

actually, if I understand your post correctly, by even asking you are scamming the system, and putting these cast members in this position....

you know you don't qualify for a discount seeing what you can get for free.....
They asked me if we were AP or DVC. I got 20% off a $150 HM Tommy Bahama shirt. The other was $10 off 2 Christmas ornaments. A bit of a stretch to call me a scammer. Immoral decision when I know better? I’ll accept that. I have to prove to them when they overcharge me multiple times, deal with them knowingly try to pass shady merch, put up barriers to correct shady merch, etc. Forgive me if the guilt doesn’t wear too heavily. Is it my responsible to do the work on both ends? Should I pay $30 more for a $150 shirt when they allow others in my position to pay $120. Doesn’t matter now. I got $40 worth of discounts, way less than just the one encounter of many where they lacked integrity - the $100 mask scam they pulled on us. I don’t feel beholden to scout’s honor here. Now we’re blue card anyway.

but you know you have a white card but ask anyway
theft by deception Florida Statute 817.034
  1. Engages in a systematic, ongoing course of conduct;
  2. With the intent to defraud or obtain property from one or more persons;
  3. By false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, promises, or willful misrepresentations of a future act.
just sayn'
We never asked and my wife had no idea there is a thing about white or blue cards. She was asked if she was a DVC member she said yes. She was asked to show her membership, but she did not know how. The woman gave her the discount anyway.

Her next shopping trip she told them she was DVC and gave them her phone and they showed her how to get to the membership number and they gave her the discount.
I was not with her either time.

She then asked me to show her how to get to the number on her own and I showed her and told her our points don't get us the discount. She told me I don't know because the employees told her she qualified.

We went to dinner she told the waiter we were DVC I told him we were resale he then told me my credit card qualified us for the discount, so it did not matter.

I think you would have a hard time proving theft by deception.

The $35 free doll my granddaughter got probably puts us into a felony range.

They asked me if we were AP or DVC. I got 20% off a $150 HM Tommy Bahama shirt. The other was $10 off 2 Christmas ornaments. A bit of a stretch to call me a scammer. Immoral decision when I know better? I’ll accept that. I have to prove to them when they overcharge me multiple times, deal with them knowingly try to pass shady merch, put up barriers to correct shady merch, etc. Forgive me if the guilt doesn’t wear too heavily. Is it my responsible to do the work on both ends? Should I pay $30 more for a $150 shirt when they allow others in my position to pay $120. Doesn’t matter now. I got $40 worth of discounts, way less than just the one encounter of many where they lacked integrity - the $100 mask scam they pulled on us. I don’t feel beholden to scout’s honor here. Now we’re blue card anyway.
wow someone got defensive…

But to answer your question yes it is your responsibility to answer the question honestly and fairly!

Do you think you did that knowing you didn’t qualify at that time ?

I do not want to shut the thread but there is to be no more discussions about resale buyers who are getting discounts.

I will sum it up for the last time. Resale buyers who are DVC ND are not eligible for discounts.

That’s it’s and move on. All future posts about it will be deleted!

I was at boardwalk in June and there was a promotion where the discount was 30% now that was a nice discount and we used Disney gift cards to pay for it that were bought at 90 cents on the dollar.
Same! Consequently that was the last time we bought merch haha. Tbh, merch options haven't been great recently. I also bought my wife a circut machine and she's making our family's shirts, hats, and other accessories for our recent trips. The machine practically paid for itself from the savings from not buying as much merch!

Edit: whoops just read the post above and was replying to someone who replied to me earlier. Feel free to delete if it's too off-topic. Thanks!

What are the significant benefits that people get beyond the discounts?

For what it’s worth I have no strong belief in the direct versus resale question because to me it is an individual decision on one or the other.
The biggest in today's world is AP potentially and the other would be ability to book at other resorts. After that the discounts, event access, and other restricted locations/lounges.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter