I must be crazy……AUGUST?!?!

I can't imagine spending all that money and being hot sweaty and miserable just stepping foot outside for a minute. So many other beautiful vacation spots to go to in August. Since you've been there so many times- maybe open your son's eyes to other places in the world.
I would say he's a little bit over-traveled, if that's even possible. So far he has been to: Argentina, Colombia, Peru, Mexico, Ecuador, Italy, Belgium, and the Netherlands. And many, many USA destinations. Yes, we love to travel ;) Hoping to hit at least 6 continents before he's 18!

When my friends ask me why I go to WDW in the summer my answer is I go when my HS aged kids can go and not miss school so they aren't stressed. I'm not taking my kids on vacation to be worried about missed work or projects so we usually go over spring break or summertime. Yes it's hot but it's bearable and the heat can be mitigated. I do think it depends on personal heat tolerance but nobody in my immediate family has ever tapped out on the heat. For reference we live in SC and our summer temps and humidity is about the same as ORL the only difference is their summer lasts longer. I think the goal is to go at a much slower pace and don't push yourself or your son to 'do it all', summer ain't the time for that.

We do early mornings, midday breaks, lunch ADRs or QS with indoor eating to catch AC, bring our own refillable water bottles and we definitely choose a resort that's closer to the parks we'll visit more to accommodate back and forth park visits. We'll also do EEH if we can or an after hours to enjoy after dark temps. Our summer trips look a lot different than winter/spring trips- shorter park days and a lot less walking. There's no way we're rope dropping and staying all day in August. We'll also build in a rest day/half day if we can to sleep in, swim, relax if we do a late night the eve before. Other tips and tricks-
  • I have seen alot of people say heat rash killed their love of summer disney visits so if you or your son are prone to heat rash, be prepared. I see a lot of people with running ointments
  • Summer shoe choices are dicey too since you don't want to be uncomfortable walking around in wet shoes so consider what shoe might dry quickly but also supportive. I know some people bring two pairs.
  • Yes to a small umbrella, poncho is more portable but it's gross when it's 100% humidity and really doesn't keep you that dry.
  • handheld fan, cooling towels, hats, sunglasses, sunscreen, are all necessary
  • if you pack a water bottle, you can get free ice water from the QS to fill it up- just bring some water flavoring packets or infusions since as you probably know, disney water is NASTY
Hope you have a great trip!
Yes to all of this.

I forgot to mention in my earlier reply - we do parks early and are back at hotel/poolside by 1. Afternoons are for rest and then we head back out to the parks at dinner.

Re: footwear- I have found that tevas (Hurricane) work best for me in the summer. Even if they get wet -which they will - you’re not slipping all over the place.

Enjoy your trip!

It's definitely brutal. Just make sure you drink tons of water. We have seen people pass out due to dehydration. The sun and humidity in Aug is like being cooked alive. Make sure to duck into air conditioning and take breaks. Pack lots of sun screen and extra clothes as you will be drenched with sweat in minutes. I wound up doing laundry so we would have fresh clothes after a mid day break.

We have done the last week of June in 2016 where the lowest temp was 96. It was hot and we did a lot during the day when it was hottest. Last year we went at the same week. We did rope drop, back to the resort for the afternoon nap/swim and then evening and it was so much more manageable.

Ho boy ANOTHER thread asking about WDW in summer. Threads on this topic crop up like dandelions this time of year. If you use the search function, you'll find a large crop of them.

I visit WDW in summer just about every summer. It is doable, but taking an afternoon break is advisable.

Other standard tips include lots of water, watch for afternoon storms, bring 2 pairs of shoes where at least 1 pair is quality water-tolerant walking sandals, or similar. Electrolyte water, apple juice, mango juice, and sports drinks are a good choice.

We tried the cooling towels last summer. they were a mixed bag. Mostly we decided to not use them, but they are inexpensive, light, and sorta useful in the afternoon if you have a hot day. the downside is they are wet in a way that feels a bit clammy. You either want to be dry or get like fell into a pool wet then dry off. Misting fans just feel a bit icky. Moleskin is good for blisters, but you won't need it if you don't get your sneakers wet/wear sandals instead. Some kind of anti-chafe stick/body deodorant can also be helpful if you are prone to blisters/chafing. In a pinch, regular deodorant also works as body deodorant/anti-chafing stick.
You'll probably also want to minimize how much you carry around all day. Carrying water is helpful, IMO, and maybe compact rain gear if it will rain. Try to only carry the essentials, and ditch everything else. Summer is not a great tine to carry lots of food. We sometimes bring a few oranges/tangerines in to the park, but eat them by 10am.

We have done the last week of June in 2016 where the lowest temp was 96. It was hot and we did a lot during the day when it was hottest. Last year we went at the same week. We did rope drop, back to the resort for the afternoon nap/swim and then evening and it was so much more manageable.
This seems to be the consensus. As I'm strategizing based on the info in this thread, I'm thinking rope drop - ~11:30, lunch in air con, back to resort for pool / nap until about 5:30, then hit a park until closing. We are usually rope drop to close types, so this will be a different kind of trip. Maybe one advantage of this weather is being forced to relax.

Possibly TMI, but take 2 pairs of underpants for each day, minimum, especially if you are going to be showering or changing mid-day. Trust me- you'll be glad you did.

Maybe TMI but also true! LOL
Also plenty of bras.
This could not be more true!! 😁 I went down the rabbit hole doing a deep dive into all kinds of reviews for moisture wicking undergarments! I absolutely hate that feeling and pack an extra dry pair in my park bag (doesn't have to just be sweat but I feel after a water attraction, undergarments are the last thing to dry, if ever)! Even knowing we had a W/D in our room at OKW, I doubled up on the undergarments and still did 2 loads of laundry! And my DH asks why I bring 2 suitcases...duh...one for all the undies! 🤣 Just kidding (kinda)

Summer travel plans and discounts have lined up to make a quick August 7-11 Goodbye to Summer trip for me and my 11-year-old son a real possibility at a very affordable cost. We were just there in February, but that trip was really more about helping my sister and her husband have a great trip with their 4 kiddos ages 4 months to 9 years. My son and I would love to hit the parks one more time and do the things we love but missed in February. Only here’s the thing……

I always swore I would never, ever go to Disney World in the summer. Because, weather.

Am I crazy to even consider this? (If so, then a large chunk of the world must be, because I know other people do it!)

If you like to go in August then please share with me your tips and tricks and why you enjoy it! And similarly, if you have been in August and swore “never again” and stuck to it, feel free to weigh in as well, all opinions and advice welcome.

For context this would be perhaps my 12th or 13th trip and my son’s 5th? 6th? So we are not first timers. We’d be staying at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress and doing Lyft and Uber everywhere.
Our last long trip (9 nights) was in August, and honestly, it wasn't that bad. So much of Disney World is indoors--it's not like you're literally outside for hours and hours straight with no relief. Bring lots of water, walk a little more slowly if needed.

Our July 4th trip in 2023 was so much hotter than our August trip. Granted, we were definitely in a heatwave last July, but still...

The weather is already warning about the high level hurricanes this season for Florida…
And those tiny swarming gnats were super annoying at HollyWood Studios yesterday.
I already stocked up on the OFF Insect Wiper and some other things at Target Today.
The Off products and the citrus candles were 30% discount because Target is having their Red Circle Week ending tomorrow Sunday … Forgot all about it and was surprised how many of,items I threw in cart were 20-30% discount .

We have gone in August twice as a family and once pre-kids because it was more economical than July and fit well within available vacation times.
We are of the rope drop then mid-day break/finish late night camp.
Big fans of cooling towels!
Bring extra socks/undies to change during your mid-day break.
Anti-chafing gel even if this is not an issue you regularly have, gold bond and monistat make great versions. Put it anywhere that rubs including your feet!

So much focusing on the negative of August...there is nothing like a mickey bar when it is just starting to get hot. And the animals in AK are often quite active shortly after those mid-day showers cool things off. I may have missed if you are planning early or late month, depending the crowds may also be lightening as kids the south are headed back to school.

I am from the Boston area and went in July once and found not a huge difference between our weather and Florida weather. I am planning a week in August this summer as my work in is closing and I could either spend a week with my toddlers in my house driving me crazy, or spend it in Florida (my babysitters refuse to work if I don't have work, and it is family so what can you do when they do it for free?). Hoping it is a similar situation where the heat is similar to Boston.
Exactly! Coming from the East Coast, I found the heat and humidity to be comparable to the summer weather back home!

We have gone several times in September, which is very similar in weather.

My number one item is a small rechargeable fan. Not a misting fan. That just leaves you more damp than you already are from sweat. Just a small fan that you can hold in your hand. The moving air just feels so good. There were times I think without it I would have had a panic attack- like the ramp down to loading on Big Thunder, yikes that's oppressive! It's also helpful indoors to get more of that AC blasting in your face. Honestly for us, the fans make the trip bearable.

We went in August nearly every year when our boys were still in school. Yes, it’s hot, yes, it’s humid, but if you stay hydrated, take breaks (especially pool breaks in the afternoon) it’s still soooo much fun! 🤩

One thing that someone up thread mentioned was hurricanes. The peak hurricane time is mid aug-mid Sept. We went one year in Aug and had to cut our trip short due to a hurricane. Just something to keep in mind, also you should keep an eye on the weather apps. This summer is supposed to be a very active hurricane season.

One thing that someone up thread mentioned was hurricanes. The peak hurricane time is mid aug-mid Sept. We went one year in Aug and had to cut our trip short due to a hurricane. Just something to keep in mind, also you should keep an eye on the weather apps. This summer is supposed to be a very active hurricane season.
I had thought the peak hurricane time started in mid-September and went into October. So you're saying the odds of avoiding a hurricane are better in the latter part of the month than the early part?

I went in September in 2018 and swore never again in August or September and have stuck with it so far. But, I know I am miserable in heat and get migraines in that sort of weather, so I really should have known better. I've recently been talking with a friend who may be in the situation of "August or never" so I've been thinking about the conditions under which I would do August and I think it would be: rope dropping early to get as much done as you can before it gets too hot, doing a sit down/A/C brunch by 11:30/12, followed by a good portion of the day in the pool or at a waterpark, then returning in the early evening and staying until park close, especially with extended evening hours. I know you're staying offsite and I'm not familiar those hotels to know if they get deluxe benefits, like I believe the Swan and Dolphin do, but I, personally, would probably only do this time of year again under those circumstances.

So I guess my take is - if a person has another time of year option, that's what I would take, even if it costs more, as long as it was in my budget. If there's no other option, I would probably do it, but with significant limitations on being outside at the peak of the heat and humidity.

I had thought the peak hurricane time started in mid-September and went into October. So you're saying the odds of avoiding a hurricane are better in the latter part of the month than the early part?

Atlantic hurricane season is from June to Nov. The peak time for hurricanes is mid Aug through mid Sept. Those 4 weeks are when most hurricanes hit the east coast. So technically the beginning of Aug is not the "peak" but it's still smack in the middle of hurricane season. End of Aug into Sept is the worst time for hurricanes.

It is very doable with the right clothes and staying hydrated. I suggest something like a breathable hiking shirt, shorts, and a sun hat.

Atlantic hurricane season is from June to Nov. The peak time for hurricanes is mid Aug through mid Sept. Those 4 weeks are when most hurricanes hit the east coast. So technically the beginning of Aug is not the "peak" but it's still smack in the middle of hurricane season. End of Aug into Sept is the worst time for hurricanes.
Thanks so much! Temperature wise, I was thinking late September was better than early, as well as sunset/sunrise times meaning less sun exposure. Now I feel my odds for meeting a hurricane are actually less. No guarantees, I know, but better odds.

Summer travel plans and discounts have lined up to make a quick August 7-11 Goodbye to Summer trip for me and my 11-year-old son a real possibility at a very affordable cost. We were just there in February, but that trip was really more about helping my sister and her husband have a great trip with their 4 kiddos ages 4 months to 9 years. My son and I would love to hit the parks one more time and do the things we love but missed in February. Only here’s the thing……

I always swore I would never, ever go to Disney World in the summer. Because, weather.

Am I crazy to even consider this? (If so, then a large chunk of the world must be, because I know other people do it!)

If you like to go in August then please share with me your tips and tricks and why you enjoy it! And similarly, if you have been in August and swore “never again” and stuck to it, feel free to weigh in as well, all opinions and advice welcome.

For context this would be perhaps my 12th or 13th trip and my son’s 5th? 6th? So we are not first timers. We’d be staying at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress and doing Lyft and Uber everywhere.
We have been going in July and Aug for 30 years now.
We love it.
We are Canucks so warm weather is always a plus.
It's not bad. Take your time, drink lots of water or Gatorade, duck into shops or great a treat throughout the day.
It's still lots of fun. Just hotter.
Oh, but some neck fans and cooling towels.
Those can help.
Just don't rush anywhere. Take it all in and go slow.
Who knows, you might appreciate WDW more going slow
Also not so scarry usually starts mid August.
That's fun.
Have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter