I NEED a Recipe/Dish for SIL's baby shower. Lunch recipe/casserole type thingy for m

KimRaye

DIS Oldtimer and Threadkiller
I think we've got all the little things covered but, no food yet! What can we serve? Early afternoon, as a Main Dish? We've done sandwich loaves in the summer, casseroles in the cold seasons but, we need something new! Something for about 30 ladies. Would like something "new", if that's possible. What's been served at the showers you've gone to recently? Recipes & Ideas are very much Needed!!

TIA!
Kim

finger rolls which are being made by a local store......the rest of the stuff we are doing.....so.......here is the list.....macaroni salad.....potato salad......home made beans.....also sweet and sour keilbasa.....meatballs in spaghetti sauce....all of this can be done ahead of time and put in crock pots.....also a big tossed salad with one dressing on it.......chips and dips are always a snacker.....taco dip with chips.....this is a look at some of the samplings we are having....do you have someone taht can buy the little finger rlls and then fill them yourselves......we have done that too..........any help......let me know

The only thing I can think of is a manwich casserole. It has cresent rolls, manwich, cheddar cheese and sour cream. It fits into a 9x13 dish.

You layer 1 1/2 cans of cresent rolls on the bottom of dish. You layer the manwich and the cheddar cheese until almost to the top. You layer another 1 1/2 layers of cresent rolls over the top. You sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top of that.

You bake at about 350 until the rolls are done. Serve it with sour cream.

So far I've gotten good responses from people.

I just did a large party for my Husband birthday this is not a casserole but went over very big. It is called Chicken in Feta Sauce. What I did was cook the chicken ahead of time and freeze it. the day before I made the sauce and then the day of the party unfroze the chicken, heated the sauce and no work. I know you did not ask for a salad but I have one that can be made ahead, up to a month, and is easy and everyone loved it.

Chicken in feta sauce.

This is for 4, but increased it to cover 50 people

skinless, bonless chicken breasts
2 tbsp blasamic vinegar
1/2 tsp ground thyme
2 tsp olive oil
1tbso + 1 1/2tsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground oregano
1 cup fat-free milk
1 cup thawed frozen broccoli, carrot and cauliflower medley ( I did not use this did only chicken)
1/3 cup crumbled peppercorn flavored or plain feta cheese
1 tsp lemon juice
2 cups hot cooked orzo or white rice

sprinkle the chicken with the vinegar and thyme. In skillet, heat oil. Cook the chicken until browned and cooked through about 4-5 minutes on each side. Transfer to plate

Sprinkle the floue and orgeano over the pan juiices; cok, stirring constantly, 1 minutes. gradually whick in the milk, cook, whicking constantly, until thick and bubbing 2-3 minutes. Stir in the vegetables, cheese and lemon juice. Reduce the heat and simmer until the cheese melts. about 2 minutes. Place the rice on a large platter; top with the chicken. spoon the sauce over the chicken.

Frozen Waldrof Salad

1 81/4 oz can crushed pineapple in heavy syru0p, undrained
2 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups chopped Red delicous apples
1/4 cup lemon juice
2/3 chopped celery
2/3 cup miniature marshamallows
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup light or regular mayo
1 cup forzen reduced calorie or regular whipped topping, thawed

Drain pineapple, reserving syrup. Set pineapple aside. combine reserved syrup, eggs, and sugar in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thick and smooth, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool slightly.

Combine apple and lemon juice, stir well. Add apple misture to egg mixture. Stir in pineapple, colery and next 3 indgredients. Fold in whipped topping. divide evenly among 18 paper-lined muffin cups. cover and freeze until firm. remove paper liners.

To store; remove frozen salads from muffin cups. place in labeled large plastic bag. freeze to to 1 month.

To serve; let desire number of frozen salads stand at room temperture 5 minutes before serving.

Kim,

Here is a suggestion.

Spinach Salad, with Warmed Rolls and Butter and Several different types of Quiche (you can prepare them or they can make them at your local supermarket/bakery)
Iced Tea, and Ice Cream Cake for dessert.

If you have time to make bread before the shower, I make a ham and cheese braided loaf of bread that is really good. You can get the recipe from allrecipes.com. When I make it, I leave out the pimientos and olives. I use honey baked ham if I have it. If I don't, then I go to the deli and have them cut off a chunk of whatever I feel like, and I also vary the type of cheese sometimes. The recipe can be easily doubled if you have a countertop mixer with a dough hook.

For a really good side dish, try this broccoli salad. I served it at a wedding shower this weekend and have had several requests for the recipe.

Broccoli Salad
Adapted from Allrecipes.com
10 slices bacon, optional
1 head broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces
¼ cup red onion, chopped
½ cup raisins or red grapes, halved
3 TBSP white wine vinegar
2 TBSP white sugar
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sunflower seeds
1. Cook bacon. Crumble and set aside.
2. In medium bowl, combine broccoli, onion, and raisins or grapes.
3. In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar, and mayonnaise. Pour over broccoli mixture and toss until mixed. Chill at least 2 hours.
4. Before serving, toss with bacon and sunflower seeds.

Wow! Some really great sounding recipes here - hope they were what you were looking for.

Yes, I don't know which to use now! I'll let my aunt decide, hehe.

Thanks for the recipe site, as well! Great place!

Kim:D

These are recipes I make when having a large crowd. I"ve made them for several different occasions and I always end up printing out the recipe's ahead of time, because they always ask for them:D

There simple and goooooooood!
Here's a few:

Green Monsters: Make as many as you need!
Appetizers

Ingredients:
1 sourdough baguette
1 pint of classic basil pesto
Garden fresh tomatoes, preferably red and yellow
1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Slice tomatoes; slice baguette in half lenghtwise and then again in sections, to give six or more open-faced slices

Place open-faced slices on a cookie sheet under broiler until brown

Remove from broiler, slather with pesto; place tomatoe slices on top, alternating red and yellow.

Sprinke on parmesan cheese

All of the above can be done ahead of time, and when your guests have arrived and settled, place baguette slices under broiler until cheese is brown and bubbly.

Green Rice (you may want to adjust it to serve 20-30, you'll be glad you did) (serves 4)

3 cups cooked rice
1 cup grated sharp cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
1 small onion, chopped
1 pimento, minced (optional)
1-4 oz. can mushrooms, drained

Mix the ingredients in the order given
Place in a 1 1/2 quart buttered casserole
Bake 350 for 45 minutes

This dish never fails me, you'll hear squeals!

Black Bean Salad (serves 10)

Salad:
1/4 cup light colored olive oil
3 med. onions, coarsley choppped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 sweet red peppers, coarsely chopped
3 cans (each 6 oz) Goya Black Beans
1/2 tsp. red pepper falkes, dried

Dressing:
1/3 cup wine vinigar
4 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 cup light colored olive oil
1/2 cup parsley OR:
1/4 cup cilantro
1/4 cup parsley

Salad: In a large, heavy frying pan heat the oil and saute the onions,sweet red peppers and garlic for about ten minutes or until they are cooked but still retain their color and crunchiness; stir regularly.

Drain the cans of beans in a colander.

Pour the drained beans in with the vegetables, add pepper flakes

Dressing: Whisk together thoroghly vinigar, cumin and oil, then add the parsley/cilantro, salt and pepper.

Pour mixture over hot beans; stir, let them cool; stir again and place in a bowl

Cover and store in the refrigerator

The salad should sit at least an hour, or for as long as a day, before serving.

If it becomes dry, moisten with a little more oil and vinegar. Serve at as close to room temperature.

Cucumber Mousse Serves 6-8

An excellent summer salad. Easy to do and very pretty!

Ingredients:

3/4 cup water
1 small package lime gelatin
1 cup greated cucumber
1 cup mayonaise
2 Tbsps. grated onion
1 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp salt

Boil the water.
Dissolve gelatin in the boiling water
Pour into 2 qt. mold and place in refrigerator till slightly thickened
Fold in remaining ingredients, then refigerate till set.

Party Cheese Ball This is so EASY and Yummy!

8oz. Philly Cream Cheese
8 oz. Velveeta Cheese
1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Let cheeses soften for about 15 minutes. Mix everything together, working with hands to form a smooth ball. Refrigerate overnight. Take out 1/2 hour before serving. Serve with crackers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter