I think I may be stuck but wanted to ask the experts

3kidz4dis

DIS Veteran
We have a current reservation at SS standard 2 bedroom using banked and borrowed points in November 2024. I have 29 points left that I could borrow and then the 24 OTU. Soo....that would be 328 and the only other resort that is under 328 would be Boardwalk (327) which will be very difficult at 7 months and then hanging on the phone for the OTU, I am sure that definetly will not work. Should I try that or just rent out my points and rent an existing reservation? or try and waitlist day by day? I made a mistake because I SHOULD have used my points for the end of november and then booked the first week in December which takes up less points. But too late now...

We have a current reservation at SS standard 2 bedroom using banked and borrowed points in November 2024. I have 29 points left that I could borrow and then the 24 OTU. Soo....that would be 328 and the only other resort that is under 328 would be Boardwalk (327) which will be very difficult at 7 months and then hanging on the phone for the OTU, I am sure that definetly will not work. Should I try that or just rent out my points and rent an existing reservation? or try and waitlist day by day? I made a mistake because I SHOULD have used my points for the end of november and then booked the first week in December which takes up less points. But too late now...
I’m a little confused - if you’d have to borrow points they aren’t at risk of expiring, so no problem w/ losing points.
Is the problem that you own at SSR & have a reservation there, but would rather stay elsewhere? Or are you wanting to add more nights to your existing SSR reservation?

What are you wanting to do? Is SSR your home resort? Did you book November at SSR but you really want December at BWV? Do you own at BWV too, or just at SSR?

In general, you have nothing to lose by waitlisting, but while you can set up a WL to borrow as needed, you can’t set up a WL to buy OTUP.

If you’re determined to book BWV, especially in December, I think your best bet would be to contact one of the BWV owners here on the Rent/Transfer forum to make a reservation for you, since the 11 month window for December is almost here, and then rent out your SSR points to pay for it.

What are you wanting to do? Is SSR your home resort? Did you book November at SSR but you really want December at BWV? Do you own at BWV too, or just at SSR?

In general, you have nothing to lose by waitlisting, but while you can set up a WL to borrow as needed, you can’t set up a WL to buy OTUP.

If you’re determined to book BWV, especially in December, I think your best bet would be to contact one of the BWV owners here on the Rent/Transfer forum to make a reservation for you, since the 11 month window for December is almost here, and then rent out your SSR points to pay for it.
Sorry! I know I am confusing. SS is our home resort and we would like to stay elsewhere but the only resort that would work is BWV but I would need the OTU points to do so. I should have reserved Nov-December because the points are less but since I already borrowed into December use year, I would have to use by Nov 30th so that isn't an option.

I’m a little confused - if you’d have to borrow points they aren’t at risk of expiring, so no problem w/ losing points.
Is the problem that you own at SSR & have a reservation there, but would rather stay elsewhere? Or are you wanting to add more nights to your existing SSR reservation?
so sorry, the problem is as you stated. We own at SSR and have a reservation there but would rather stay elsewhere and need to OTU points to do it...even with the OTU points the only resort would be BWV

Last edited:
Ah, I understand. Given that you have borrowed points that wouldn't be able to move into December due to its being your UY start, then all I can think of would be to 1) stay fewer nights, whatever you can afford, at a different resort in November or 2) try to rent your points and use the cash to rent from another owner. Sorry, wish I could help more!

If I am understanding it correctly, with a Dec use year, you currently have an SSR reservation in a standard view 2BR using 275 points for a week in Nov, which does not include the higher point Wed to Fri of Thanksgiving week (Nov 27-29), meaning your Nov week ends before then.

You would like to change that reservation at 7-months out to BWV for a week in a boardwalk view or pool/garden view 2BR which would cost 327 points, but to make that change at 7-months out, you would need to borrow the 29 points from your Dec 2024 use year and purchase 23 OTUPs. To make that type of reservation change, you would need to wait until 9 a.m. eastern at 7-months out to contact MS because of the need for OTUPs. You are correct to assume that your ability to make that change an hour after the 7-month window opens is highly unlikely. Be aware, that even if you could attempt it at 8 a.m. at 7 months out, your chances are extremely low -- BWV studios and 2BRs (all three booking categories) are usually unavailable at 7-months out in Nov.

You also mention that you should have tried for end of Nov and then first week of Dec, but be aware that first week of Dec is the highest DVC demand week of the year at WDW and being able to get a a 2BR at any near park resort at 7-months out will potentially be impossible -- even SSR 2BRs can fill before 7-months out for that week. Moreover, you would have end of the use year complications. You cannot online do a single reservation that overlaps a use year, and thus needs to use points from two different use years. You would have to do two separate reservations online, one for the Nov time and then later one for Dec time, or call MS to do a single reservation (which cannot be done until 9 a.m.)

My sense is that it is best to keep what you have and see if you can get extremely lucky and make a switch at 7-months out. Trying to rent your SSR reservation and then also attempt to purchase a rental of a BWV reservation, would, even if successful, likely mean you would lose money because the amount you can get for an SSR reservation is likely less than what you have to pay for a like BWV reservation even if you can find someone to do one.

Last edited:
If I am understanding it correctly, with a Dec use year, you currently have an SSR reservation in a standard view 2BR using 275 points for a week in Nov, which does not include the higher point Wed to Fri of Thanksgiving week (Nov 27-29), meaning your Nov week ends before then.

You would like to change that reservation at 7-months out to BWV for a week in a boardwalk view or pool/garden view 2BR which would cost 327 points, but to make that change at 7-months out, you would need to borrow the 29 points from your Dec 2024 use year and purchase 23 OTUPs. To make that type of reservation change, you would need to wait until 9 a.m. eastern at 7-months out to contact MS because of the need for OTUPs. You are correct to assume that your ability to make that change an hour after the 7-month window opens is highly unlikely. Be aware, that even if you could attempt it at 8 a.m. at 7 months out, your chances are extremely low -- BWV studios and 2BRs (all three booking categories) are usually unavailable at 7-months out in Nov.

You also mention that you should have tried for end of Nov and then first week of Dec, but be aware that first week of Dec is the highest DVC demand week of the year at WDW and being able to get a a 2BR at any near park resort at 7-months out will potentially be impossible -- even SSR 2BRs can fill before 7-months out for that week. Moreover, you would have end of the use year complications. You cannot online do a single reservation that overlaps a use year, and thus needs to use points from two different use years. You would have to do two separate reservations online, one for the Nov time and then later one for Dec time, or call MS to do a single reservation (which cannot be done until 9 a.m.)

My sense is that it is best to keep what you have and see if you can get extremely lucky and make a switch at 7-months out. Trying to rent your SSR reservation and then also attempt to purchase a rental of a BWV reservation, would, even if successful, likely mean you would lose money because the amount you can get for an SSR reservation is likely less than what you have to pay for a like BWV reservation even if you can find someone to do one.
Thank so much for taking the time to explain. Could I ask if I add another night currently at SS by OTUP so that I have them purchased and then try for what I can at 7 mos (to elimate the phone call the morning of?) or am I not allowed to use OTUP at home resort?

Thank so much for taking the time to explain. Could I ask if I add another night currently at SS by OTUP so that I have them purchased and then try for what I can at 7 mos (to elimate the phone call the morning of?) or am I not allowed to use OTUP at home resort?
You can buy OTUP for your home resort, just can’t do it until you’re in process of booking at 7 months. So you could wait until 7 months from checkin at SSR and, assuming the nights you want are available, call MS to buy the OTUP and book them. Then you could modify SSR to another resort. Might not help much, unless the 7 month window for the resort you want opens later than the SSR checkin date.

I'm 99% certain you cannot buy or use OTU points until 7 months for a dvc reservation.

I'm 99% certain you cannot buy or use OTU points until 7 months for a dvc reservation.
You are correct. The reason is that DVC is simply transferring points from themselves as an owner to you as an owner, and whatever points they’re transferring to you have to be usable at any resort.

You are correct. The reason is that DVC is simply transferring points from themselves as an owner to you as an owner, and whatever points they’re transferring to you have to be usable at any resort.
You answered that question more knowledgeably than I did! We've never used them, but I thought that was a restriction. It's a nice feature offered by DVC.

You can buy OTUP for your home resort, just can’t do it until you’re in process of booking at 7 months. So you could wait until 7 months from checkin at SSR and, assuming the nights you want are available, call MS to buy the OTUP and book them. Then you could modify SSR to another resort. Might not help much, unless the 7 month window for the resort you want opens later than the SSR checkin date.
I think that is what I will try and do. Do you know if I am able to rent my SS reservation if I purchased the OTUP's?

I think that is what I will try and do. Do you know if I am able to rent my SS reservation if I purchased the OTUP's?
I don’t see why not. If someone wants those dates in that villa at SSR, it won’t matter what points were used to book it.

I don’t see why not. If someone wants those dates in that villa at SSR, it won’t matter what points were used to book it.
Thank you! I also could try a split stay using a 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom. I may have family convincing to do so...maybe if I try for a 1 bedroom that has 2 bathrooms like Kidani. I appreciate all of your help!

Lane thing you can try is to make a reservation at 7 months to get the OTU points. Cancel that reservation and then at 7 months, try for another resort. If you’re unable to get one, modify your current resort reservation to utilize the OTU and any additional borrowed points. That way, you’ll have current use year points you can bank at 4 months.

If home resort is still available, you can try ”walking” your reservation. You’ll have to keep enough days in November to utilize your borrowed and OTU points.

Lane thing you can try is to make a reservation at 7 months to get the OTU points. Cancel that reservation and then at 7 months, try for another resort. If you’re unable to get one, modify your current resort reservation to utilize the OTU and any additional borrowed points. That way, you’ll have current use year points you can bank at 4 months.

If home resort is still available, you can try ”walking” your reservation. You’ll have to keep enough days in November to utilize your borrowed and OTU points.
GREAT suggestion! I appreciate it! I really would love to try for BWV at 7 months. It has the exact points I have (after I purchase the 24)

Just to clarify, you can’t substitute OTU points into a reservation made during a home resort period even if you bought them for something else and cancel it.

Just to clarify, you can’t substitute OTU points into a reservation made during a home resort period even if you bought them for something else and cancel it.
Sandi..could you clarify? Just wanted to make sure I am understanding...

Sandi..could you clarify? Just wanted to make sure I am understanding...
If you booked a reservation within the 11 month window, you won’t be able to modify that reservation to use the OTUP in the way that Akck described. That modification would work only with a reservation that was made in the 7 month window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter