I want to run my trains!

Stratman50th

Loving all things Fort Wilderness!
So I haven't had my trains set up since probably 2009 or so. I want to set up a layout. I could probably do it in the garage, but I would need to be able to pack it up when necessary. Maybe something hinged to the walls. Anyway, not why I posted. @bama_ed you guys made me at least want to get something out. Here's a locomotive I've had for many years. thought I'd display it since I had some space.

Disney train 1.jpg

Disneyland train 2.jpg

I've seen people use ropes and pulleys to raise it to the ceiling when not in use:confused3

They use chains and eyebolts with an electric winch. You could do a fold down with track only. If you go the pully route, you can have your town or landscaping set up to what you want. And if you need anything ask. I have lots of pre and post war stuff.

I'll post a few pictures of the garage and maybe you all can throw some ideas out there.

Here's the garage layout. Everything is on wheels, but I might have to move the bus all the way back in case I need something to go in the front o the garage, like a boat.

20230406_173022.jpg

20230406_173037.jpg

20230406_173049.jpg

Ceiling is 16'. Wall to wall width is 18'. Garage is 75' long but I can't use the front for anything but inand out.
This 4' X 8' is the Christmas layout. It has a 027 radius oval in the middle with an O gauge oval around the outer perimeter. Not sure what that radius is, .032 maybe? I don't think it's. 064. Being an engineer I bet @bama_ed could tell us off the top of his head what the max radius is around a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood.

20230406_173113.jpg

Yea, 027 came in 27, 34 , 54 and , 72 if I remember correctly. Let me think, you have the room for a lift. Or if you dont have tons of stuff attached, easy to do a fold down.

Here is an idea for a fold down table, obviously make it higher. Maybe have 2 saw horses set up and fold it down on those.

I like that and I wouldn't keep everything together when I folded it up. Oh, the inside loop is .027 gauge. The outside loop is O gauge.

And the table. I know people have how toos on how to build this, because I was looking to do it 5 years ago.

If you need anything, as I said ask. I have way too many o scale things that I can't use. I have transformers, track, etc. Mine still isn't built, but will be by Christmas. Lol. It will give me something to do in retirement.

Not big into O-gauge but O27 means the curves are 27-inches in diameter whereas regular O is something bigger.

Darn you guys! :crazy2:

You got me thinkin' ...

Then you got me lookin' ...

And I made a purchase tonight of the one G-scale piece that got me interested in pursuing the hobby in the first place. It is from the early 1990s so definitely NOT new.

Will post a pic early next week in the Chit-Chat thread after taking delivery. I know you guys will approve.

Don, find a plan that works and DO. IT.

ED 🚂

O and 0 27 are diffrent, mostly its the height of the rails. And yes, 027 was a holdover from prewar trains, ives that was bought out by lionel, but they made the 0 27 track in bigher radias as above. 0 is bigger , at 32 inches to start, but also higher. They made 0 track in larger radi also. And cant wait to see what you got.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter