I Went To Super Nintendo World In Universal Hollywood!

DVacationer

Disneyworld Vacationer
I’m a huge Disney lover, Nintendo lover, live local to Disneyland. I went to the soft opening of Super Nintendo World on Wednesday. Here are my thoughts:
DBEFD8E3-2EFB-4F50-BAB9-8CFE863F9153.jpeg
EBCFB7C7-0A59-4948-B514-FAB3FA5A9B07.jpeg
  • Beautiful! Disney level theming
  • music from most of the mario games & yoshis island all over the land unlike Galaxy’s Edge
  • land is kind of small, similar to Disneyland‘s Fantasyland
  • A place you want to hang out in, just makes you happy
  • I had the grilled chicken sandwich at toadstool cafe, chicken was a tad dry, pesto sauce was great, the place was cozy, gave me tikiroom cozy vibesF2B86B7F-674E-4A81-832F-FE3A6D2DCE08.jpeg
  • Not too many seating around the land
  • i didn't buy the powerup band and still LOVED IT
  • feels amazing to have this land and the wizarding world in 1 park67C5B17C-8A9C-4D38-845E-B62860B5C4D5.jpegB8F3CEBD-8384-40E6-BAC1-6575E41FE929.jpeg
  • MarioKart Ride: first ride I thought cool technology , beautiful but wasnt amazed. Then I went on it again. BLEW ME AWAY INCREDIBLE. When you learn and adjust to it, it’s phenomena. Its not really a themepark ride, its a videogame come to life. Its you living mariokart. The AR visuals on the visor glasses was blurry my first ride, then i realized it was because the front of the headset is heavy and slumped down my forehead, making the digital visuals blurry but when i pushed down on the back of the headset, it lifted the front and became clear as day. I learned to move my head to look around and see all the effects projected onto the glasses otherwise the vis get cutoff because the glasses dont cover your entire view, the sides are open. When I did that and realized the genius that went into the elements of the ride, blown away. The practical setpieces you go through are BEAUTIFUL but you dont notice it as much on your first ridethrough because there is so much digital elements going on in your glasses and your focusing on that, its covered up. YOU NEED TO GO ON THIS RIDE AT LEAST 3 TIMES TO GET IT. AND WHEN YOU DO, IT BECOMES SPECTACULAR. Little ones and people who dont give it a few tries to learn and adjust to it, wont be too wowed. Universal and Nintendo really went for it and didn't dumb it down to make it seamless and easy but watered down for the masses and I am truly surprised and delighted. Its the best of the mariokart tracks and games into one. It did stop alot in the middle of the ride because of so many karts loading and unloading but this was technical rehearsals so maybe that'll be fixed.
  • I still cant stop thinking about that Mariokart ride. I went on it 5 times. It was a 10 minute wait that day until the late afternoon.
  • Pandora is still #1 in new themed lands but this is a beautiful addition to a themepark that desperately needed more. You could spend a good 3-4 hours in the land. Harry potter land was virtually EMPTY since everyone was basically in Super Nintendo Land.
  • This will be a huge hit for Universal.
  • Toothsome Chocoolate Emporium was doing soft opening too and I had the BEST BURGER SLIDERS OF MY LIFE! Jucy, char flavor, sweet hawiian roll bun, fresh crunchy pickle. Amazing. (Kids menu item $9.95, came with thick fresh fries)
    A7463AD6-B86A-4E0D-B4B7-61BB4EED27D7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have just returned from a trip to LA, but USH sounds like somewhere to visit next time for sure :)

I was there a couple of weeks ago and going again this weekend for passholder previews. It's truly amazing if you are a Mario Kart fan. I love the ride so much and can't wait to go on it again. My family literally spent 3 hours just in that area last time we were at USH exploring the mini games and just taking it all in. And the food is amazing! Best theming I've seen in a long time.

We’re going 2/4 for the pass holder preview and we are so excited! We also can’t wait to try Toothsome Chocolate Emporium. I’ll have to try the sliders!

We attended the Super Nintendo World preview for passholders yesterday. The attention to detail is amazing and they did an excellent job creating Super Mario Bros. I felt like I was 11 years old again. Our kids enjoyed the ride and the queue is amazing…. Just as good as anything Disney has done.

That being said, the world is small. I completely realize they did what they could with the available space, and they did a great job with the space available. But they definitely oversold the preview… it was so crowded, it wasn’t enjoyable. Crazy lines for everything. And it’s going to be HOT in that space when summer hits. No shade, and no breeze given the way it’s built. I’d like to go back during the week when it’s less crowded and I can actually look around without tripping over people.

Hi all that went to SNW at USH! Thank you for sharing your insight about this ride. It's so helpful! Question about the seating/restraints on the ride. Hubby and I are bigger folks. Will we have a hard time fitting? Can you use another ride's seating/restraints as a comparison, please? That might be helpful.

Hi! Thanks for pics and discussions.
Waiting to hear more trip reports as we wait for it to Open at WDW.
Would love to know how they arranged the sneak peak, previews etc…in comparison to TRON with so many mixed reports and many not receiving a AP or DVC invite link. …( like me )
How did Universal Studios Hollywood present this for sign up ?

Also somebody reported Universal is conducting surveys online for opinions about the EPIC UNIVERSE pricing and ticketing and virtual or paid FP.
What do you think ? I assume this section is included with entry for entire park . Although they could block off that steep elevator decline access for a price.

Hi all that went to SNW at USH! Thank you for sharing your insight about this ride. It's so helpful! Question about the seating/restraints on the ride. Hubby and I are bigger folks. Will we have a hard time fitting? Can you use another ride's seating/restraints as a comparison, please? That might be helpful.
Im on the bigger side, 2xl shirts, sat comfortable. Shouldn't be an issue.
What exactly do the power up bands do? Where do you get them?
it saves your “coins” (points) when you hit coinboxes around the land and enables you to play little minigames around the land. I didn’t buy one, had fun without it. You can buy it in the land or the main Universal giftshop.
Hi! Thanks for pics and discussions.
Waiting to hear more trip reports as we wait for it to Open at WDW.
Would love to know how they arranged the sneak peak, previews etc…in comparison to TRON with so many mixed reports and many not receiving a AP or DVC invite link. …( like me )
How did Universal Studios Hollywood present this for sign up ?

Also somebody reported Universal is conducting surveys online for opinions about the EPIC UNIVERSE pricing and ticketing and virtual or paid FP.
What do you think ? I assume this section is included with entry for entire park . Although they could block off that steep elevator decline access for a price.
They announced passholder previews a week in advance of actual signups where you had to go online at a certain time in the morning on said day to hopefully register. Their website went down from all the traffic so they delayed it for a few days. It was supposed to then go live to register online at 12pm but I got through at 11:57am soit helped to keep refreshing early. I ended up not going to the passholder preview because I went to a technical rehearsal that was unannounced. It was a risk I took because I saw people posting a few days in a row that it was open and just went.
Super Nintendo Land is included with the regular ticket just like the Wizarding World is, but they can stop entry if it gets too crowded and do virtual queues.

I think when this opens for Epic Universe, it won’t be as crazy crowded for a few reasons.
1. the WHOLE themepark will be new vs in Hollywood, this was the only new thing so everyone in the park was going to that land.
2.Universal Hollywoods version of Super Nintendo World is smaller then Epic Universe’s will be. They will have a Donkey Kong land , an additional Yoshi ride, AND a more open layout like Japans version because it’s being built from the ground up and not shoe horned in to a pre existing space like Hollywoods.

Wasn't sure if to start a new thread or post it here, so I went with here. Nintendo World has been open for a few weeks, and I might be going in a few weeks with a friend. I'm a local but admittedly don't go a lot. Does anyone know what the reservation system is like? My friend has an annual pass and I'll probably just get a ticket so we are sort of flexible on what day we do (some Saturdays are blocked off from their pass, and we both probably can't get off on a weekday so I guess I should say we are flexible on the Sunday we go). If we decide the week before to go, will all the reservations be gone, like how Disney reservations "sell out" weeks in advance? Is rope dropping still a smart idea?

Wasn't sure if to start a new thread or post it here, so I went with here. Nintendo World has been open for a few weeks, and I might be going in a few weeks with a friend. I'm a local but admittedly don't go a lot. Does anyone know what the reservation system is like? My friend has an annual pass and I'll probably just get a ticket so we are sort of flexible on what day we do (some Saturdays are blocked off from their pass, and we both probably can't get off on a weekday so I guess I should say we are flexible on the Sunday we go). If we decide the week before to go, will all the reservations be gone, like how Disney reservations "sell out" weeks in advance? Is rope dropping still a smart idea?
Universal doesn’t limit attendance with reservations like Disney does. They fill it to capacity so you wont have a problem getting a ticket for the day you want. Ropedrop is a good idea because most guests are locals and we don’t prioritize being there early (It’ll still be busy just not as bad as later in the day). Once you enter the park you can get a virtual queue if they are offering it (they do that if the land gets really packed) but you will for sure get in at some point in the day. Rope drop most likely wont require a virtual queue. Afternoon on a sunday might. Later in the day wont. Download the universal studios app and once you are in the park, you can join the queue if its needed.

Universal doesn’t limit attendance with reservations like Disney does. They fill it to capacity so you wont have a problem getting a ticket for the day you want. Ropedrop is a good idea because most guests are locals and we don’t prioritize being there early (It’ll still be busy just not as bad as later in the day). Once you enter the park you can get a virtual queue if they are offering it (they do that if the land gets really packed) but you will for sure get in at some point in the day. Rope drop most likely wont require a virtual queue. Afternoon on a sunday might. Later in the day wont. Download the universal studios app and once you are in the park, you can join the queue if its needed.
Thank you for all the information - it is very helpful!

If we get early entry (we're going early August and only have one day at Universal) can we visit first thing and go back later (getting in the virtual queue?) or do they limit it to one visit?

Also we're staying at the Nite Inn, I've heard there is a shuttle bus but I can't find much information about where this picks up from and the timings so any help would be appreciated

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter