I will find my way, I can go the distance…(comments welcome)

eminemilie

Mouseketeer
I have signed up for my first runDisney weekend (Disneyland 5k and 10k) after taking a loooong break from running/exercise for a multitude of reasons. I actually JUST had a major surgery two days ago, so my “training journal” will be pretty basic for awhile. I plan on being pretty open and vulnerable in this running journey.

My running history- I have done one timed 5k about 11 years ago (35ish minutes, not 100% sure on the time). 10 years ago I was training and fundraising for a local marathon, but about a month before the race I got terrible shin splints and hurt my knee pretty badly. I ended up compl the fundraising but not running the marathon.

Since then, life has really gotten in the way of me being active. I won‘t go in to all the details now but on top of a bunch of other things, I lost my father to a pretty terrible battle with alzheimer's in 2018. We were very close, and I was basically having to go through that journey alone as my parents had been divorced for nearly 15 years and I was his only child.

So that brings me to now. My recovery for surgery is about 4-6 weeks before I’m cleared for anything other than short walks around my house. I’ve decided my goal until then is to try and hit a low Apple watch movement goal of 300. It isn’t a lot, but I think it’s a good number to try and aim for. I‘m also aiming to be getting up and moving for about 5-10 minutes every hour or two instead of sitting/resting for long periods of time and then trying to catch up to that number. this Will be goal number 1, with the movement goal being secondary.

Finally, I promise I’m not as dry/boring as this post sounds. I’m just very awkward at figuring out how to start this journal 🤣

I would never in a million years expect myself to be stir crazy the week of having surgery, but here I am, being yelled at by my husband to stop moving around and doing things so I can heal. I’m sure the weather hasn’t helped me much, we are getting measurable snow every day for the next week and today the local meteorologists announced this has been the 10th/11th snowiest winter on record. I am so sick of the snow, and we even missed 3 weeks and 2 or 3 big storms when we were on our honeymoon in December!

I’ve managed to hit my ”goals“ of moving around and hitting a movement goal of at least 300 for most of the week. I am having a little trouble with one of my incisions, as it is right where my arm/elbow naturally rests, so it’s sore and getting a little irritated I think. Just going to be more careful with it and start icing it a bit more to see if that helps.

I’ve been watching Wicked Tuna to pass the time, which is hysterical to me because I don’t like fish at all. But I love the ocean and water, and its been a great distraction without making me think too hard on painkillers.

I’ve also been passing time by trying to come up with some local races to try before Disneyland weekend, as well as figuring out costumes. We reserved our hotel before I was even registered, so that’s taken care of. I think I am going to do the 10k in a Mighty Ducks costume, as we are huge hockey fans, but I’m not 100% in love with any of the options I’ve seen.

I have signed up for my first runDisney weekend (Disneyland 5k and 10k) after taking a loooong break from running/exercise for a multitude of reasons. I actually JUST had a major surgery two days ago, so my “training journal” will be pretty basic for awhile. I plan on being pretty open and vulnerable in this running journey.

My running history- I have done one timed 5k about 11 years ago (35ish minutes, not 100% sure on the time). 10 years ago I was training and fundraising for a local marathon, but about a month before the race I got terrible shin splints and hurt my knee pretty badly. I ended up compl the fundraising but not running the marathon.

Since then, life has really gotten in the way of me being active. I won‘t go in to all the details now but on top of a bunch of other things, I lost my father to a pretty terrible battle with alzheimer's in 2018. We were very close, and I was basically having to go through that journey alone as my parents had been divorced for nearly 15 years and I was his only child.

So that brings me to now. My recovery for surgery is about 4-6 weeks before I’m cleared for anything other than short walks around my house. I’ve decided my goal until then is to try and hit a low Apple watch movement goal of 300. It isn’t a lot, but I think it’s a good number to try and aim for. I‘m also aiming to be getting up and moving for about 5-10 minutes every hour or two instead of sitting/resting for long periods of time and then trying to catch up to that number. this Will be goal number 1, with the movement goal being secondary.

Finally, I promise I’m not as dry/boring as this post sounds. I’m just very awkward at figuring out how to start this journal 🤣

Hope your recovery goes well! Commenting since we have something in common here lol. Similar to you I have had a few years away from running. When I finally attempted to come back I started to have a knee issue. Long story short, I had surgery a week ago today to fix my knee and have about another 5 weeks before I can start c25k. The laying around for the first few days drove me crazy! I love to be outdoors and after watching 2.5 seasons of a show on Netflix I was just bored of watching TV. I look forward to reading about your progress as you prepare for your upcoming races! Best of luck with everything!!

Hope your recovery goes well! Commenting since we have something in common here lol. Similar to you I have had a few years away from running. When I finally attempted to come back I started to have a knee issue. Long story short, I had surgery a week ago today to fix my knee and have about another 5 weeks before I can start c25k. The laying around for the first few days drove me crazy! I love to be outdoors and after watching 2.5 seasons of a show on Netflix I was just bored of watching TV. I look forward to reading about your progress as you prepare for your upcoming races! Best of luck with everything!!
I’m so excited to have a recovery buddy! I am going to comment on your journal but I’m looking at a lot of the same things as you going forward.

So this update is probably going to be long, and TMI for some people regarding my surgery at the beginning. Feel free to skip over it if you want.

I had my post surgery visit Wednesday and my surgeon is very happy with my recovery so far. I’ve been cleared to do light exercise and to move to more strenuous things as I feel able to.

I mentioned in another thread that my surgery was to remove one of my ovaries and a very large cyst on it, but I don’t believe I ever said in here what it was for. There was some concern about this cyst because it grew to be three times the size of my ovary in about 2.5 weeks (I am not exaggerating either of these unfortunately). Typically cysts do not grow that big, that fast. My surgery was schedule for early February as my doctor wanted to get it out before it could become a bigger emergency. He went in, and due to where my ovary was couldn’t remove anything at that time. So we had to reschedule for surgery at a hospital with a robot for a month later. It was a very bad time for me. The additional concern was that because of how quickly the cyst grew, that if it was cancerous it would have been VERY aggressive. After my surgery, my surgeon was pretty sure it was not cancerous but it needed to be sent to pathology regardless. Thankfully pathology confirmed there were no cancer cells present which was a huge sigh of relief for us. Best birthday present ever.

Back to “training”, or as you’ll soon find, a lack there of. After my appointment we went out for a birthday celebration dinner, and then to Costco to get a few things before another snowstorm was supposedly going to hit us (I am so over snow right now!), and finally watched a late hockey game that was crazy and involved an almost goalie fight, two players being ejected, and 11 or 12 goals. It was much more than I had done since surgery and I woke up so tired yesterday that I didn’t get out of bed until after 11! even after getting up I was just exhausted and a little crabby, so I figured I would give myself the day off to just recover. And then the same thing happened today. I don’t know why I’m suddenly completely out of energy but I am not a fan.

So hopefully tomorrow I will be feeling good enough to get on the treadmill and do at least a short walk. Fingers crossed!

I have been so bad about writing here. I’m just really in a funk and sort of…embarrassed?..to write anything down.

I knew I wasn’t at the same fitness level I was prior to my surgery, which frankly wasn’t really anything to be proud of anyway (although I did walk all over Europe for most of December). But I find myself sort of struggling on just basic walks. Nothing fast, today’s walk was at a 19:50 pace. But there are a few points where I’m breathing a bit heavier and I’m definitely sweating during them. I haven’t even attempted to do any running at this point.

I’m still going out every day that I can, and plan to do an inside workout either on the treadmill or Peleton if I can’t make it outside due to weather.

I know I have to start where I’m at, but I feel so behind on everything. I wanted to do some local races but there’s no way I will be remotely ready for the race I wanted to do in June. My nutrition sucks, but because of various food reactions, I don’t even know where to start.

I’m sticking with it, but the idea that I will be able to run at all, let alone run anything near my wishful pace, seems impossible at this point.

Props to still sticking with it even when everything seems sucky! Would your doctor be able to refer you to a nutritionist for help?

I have been so bad about writing here. I’m just really in a funk and sort of…embarrassed?..to write anything down.

I knew I wasn’t at the same fitness level I was prior to my surgery, which frankly wasn’t really anything to be proud of anyway (although I did walk all over Europe for most of December). But I find myself sort of struggling on just basic walks. Nothing fast, today’s walk was at a 19:50 pace. But there are a few points where I’m breathing a bit heavier and I’m definitely sweating during them. I haven’t even attempted to do any running at this point.

I’m still going out every day that I can, and plan to do an inside workout either on the treadmill or Peleton if I can’t make it outside due to weather.

I know I have to start where I’m at, but I feel so behind on everything. I wanted to do some local races but there’s no way I will be remotely ready for the race I wanted to do in June. My nutrition sucks, but because of various food reactions, I don’t even know where to start.

I’m sticking with it, but the idea that I will be able to run at all, let alone run anything near my wishful pace, seems impossible at this point.

Keep your head up! I understand what you are feeling right now as well. I wish I could do more than I can now especially with my "date" of c25k start coming up, but with each passing day I realize that plan may not work out. Its a set back for sure, but it doesn't mean it cant or wont happen, nor does it mean we cant reach the goals we may have... It just may take a little longer for us to get where we want to be. Be patient and it will all work out in time.

Be patient (easier said then done, I know). It takes time to get back in the groove no matter your fitness level after a period of having to stop. All you can focus on is the consistency in this moment. Don't worry about a week from now, or months from now, or where you were six months ago. Just keep putting in the incremental work now and let it build appropriately.

Just like you said, you need to start where you are. But don’t forget to give yourself grace. You are not behind. You are right where you need to be. Just keep getting out there.

To quote Bobo the Bear in Muppets from Space....Baby Steps (sir), Baaaaby steps. You are doing what you can/should now, and will work your way slowly towards where you need to be. As for racing in June? Don't put that pressure on yourself. If you get closer and it still works out, you can decide to do something then. But given what you've just gone through, that's a big ask.

It’s been awhile since I updated with anything.

I think the times I was frustrated with had to do with the temperature. It has been a tough and rough winter, and we had a string of days that were in the mid-80s after being in the 30s-40s for awhile. Since the temps have gone back to normal, I am walking consistently at least 2 minutes quicker per mile, if not 3 or more.

The bigger issue right now is that something is up with medically I believe. I have been incredibly lethargic recently, to the point where I‘m in bed for problems 12 hours a day. I do have a thyroid problem, and I have had iron issues in the past (I had to undergo iron transfusions this fall for 2 months). This feels a little different than when I have had these issues, but I have an appointment with my primary doctor for Monday to look into things. I suspect a lot of bloodwork will be ordered.

The lethargic-ness has caused a bit of a problem for ”training”. I should be getting out for walks daily, and I had been hoping to start doing some intervals this week. I have a history of going too hard and overtraining so I am trying to be patient and listen to my body. I might have to hold off on doing anything other than a few walks until we figure out what exactly going on with my health.

So for now, I will dream up training plans and hope I can start putting in some work soon.

Exciting news, I started my training plan!

I have some experience (although none recently) making training plans for myself. I think it is really important to try and do smart work, but also be well rounded. My training plan is a combination of weight training and "run" training (i'm, at least at the start, doing run/walk). My husband has been doing steady weightlifting for about 15-16 years, so he has been very helpful with that portion plus we have a home gym with a lifting cage so I can do everything I need at home. I'm about a week and a half into the run training, and will be starting weight training this week. Here is the gist of everything:

Weight training: 2 days a week, 3 exercises a day, 3 sets, 8 reps. One day is squats/bench press/bent over rows, the other is deadlifts/pull ups/overhead press.

Interval training: 3x a week, following the beginner Galloway plans for 5k and 10k. I only have the 5k part written out, but my plan is to extend it into the 10k plan by counting back the number of weeks from race week to where it overlaps with the current 5k plan as I think there may be 2 weeks overlap.

I am also planning, depending on how my body is feeling, on doing a recovery or easy power zone Peloton ride once a week. I am planning on having Sunday as my "off day" or maybe doing some light yoga to try and keep loose.

Man, I have so much to update. It has been a heck of a few months for me. Medical/heart related warnings ahead…

Shortly after I wrote my last post, I ended up having to wear a heart monitor because I had some chest pain and fluttering going on (not during exercise), and my doctor just wanted to make sure things were good. During that two week period I continued to exercise as normal (5-6x per week/3 days of cardio). The results were really good except for one major thing; at one point my heart actually stopped for 2 beats. It was not during exercise, and if it had been just one beat it would have been fine, but two beats is pretty abnormal. So off I headed to cardiology a few weeks later. Where they told me they wanted to implant a permanent monitor into my chest. I was not fan of this idea, particularly because everything else looked good and all of the tests came back saying my heart was in excellent shape.

To go along with this, 2 days after this appointment (while still trying to figure out what was happening with my heart), my husband and I both tested positive for Covid for the first time ever. And it was terrible. He was a few days ahead of me symptom wise, but we both almost ended up in the hospital due to high heart rates and dehydration. My doctor said generally people’s first time with Covid is pretty terrible and long. It took us about 2.5 weeks to feel good enough to even try walking, and our first “walk“ was less than a mile and took us 25 minutes.

To wrap the medical stuff up, I have gotten a second opinion from Mayo regarding my heart and they believe at this point the only thing I need to do is a yearly ECG for monitoring. No implant needed, no restrictions on exercising, no reason to worry about things at this point. Mentally I’m still a bit scrambled because it is really scary to constantly be thinking that your heart is just going to randomly stop, but I have for the most part put it in the past and am just moving forward.

So with all that has happened, my goals have changed significantly. I have not gone running since the middle of August (still a little scared to do so). We are walking 5-6 times a week for about 2.5 miles, and will be starting to add in longer walks in the 5 mile-ish range when I can. I am averaging around 17 minute miles at this point. The 5k will be fine since there is no time limit really, and for the 10k I am just going to see where I end up with training. We have two week long trips coming up before Disneyland, one of them will involve a lot of walking and the other I will be doing longer walks with maybe some running mixed in. The weather got stupid cold this last week and is going to be in the 30s for highs all week, so that makes things a little more difficult.

That’s all for now, I‘m off to catch up on everyone else’s training blogs!

I wanted to reply to your post to give you some support with your heart issues. Everyone is different but I wanted to at least give you some hope that running even with cardiac issues can be possible. I get how scared you are and how unnerving it can be to be exercising. I have an arrhythmia that I am successfully managing and am still running! It’s really hard some days but I’m doing it! I have an amazing cardiologist who is also a runner and I am so lucky to have her on my team. Hopefully you can assemble a team that you trust and can help you achieve all of your goals no matter how big or small. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter