I wish Magic Bands could have DVC discount eligibility

My point was that if I am able to produce a band with the correct PIN, the server should be able to apply the appropriate discount for affiliations (AP, DVC-Y) they see on their band reader without asking me to pull out my phone to show them the same exact affiliations through the phone's wallet function.
Compared to other restaurants (and other countries) waiters seem somewhat underequipped at WDW. They often don't carry a card reader. I got asked to go with the waiter to some backroom or side cabinet so often when I wanted to pay with apple pay, that I started to carry a physical credit card with me again (which I usually don't do) just to be able to follow the old process (ask for the check, put your card on it, wait for the final printout to add tip)

If they had a reader with them to easily scan magicbands, apple pay, credit cards (maybe integrated into a terminal that sends orders to the kitchen - as they do in many other restaurants) it should be easy to integraten NFC verification of discounts into the system. Scan the magicband or magic mobile, automatically apply discounts - no need to ask any questions or to lead the customer through the app.

I particularly don't like it if they touch my phone with their hands to read what's on the screen.

I always just say I have DVC and an AP...and then say "Here is my DVC" and it is fine. So, it may have been the CM if she thought you only said AP and not DVC...
This is how it usually goes and I clearly said DVC and AP this time as well (and I did show my magic mobile card in the wallet so the CM clearly could see DVC-Y as well). I think the CM just made a mistake (thinking about AP verification only) and decided not to back down

I you hand me your band without providing your PIN, I would not be able to charge my meal to your band.

My point was that if I am able to produce a band with the correct PIN, the server should be able to apply the appropriate discount for affiliations (AP, DVC-Y) they see on their band reader without asking me to pull out my phone to show them the same exact affiliations through the phone's wallet function.
I understand that, and in a perfect and honest world that should be enough.

My point was simply that if I'm handing you my band, it takes literally zero effort for me to also give you my four-digit PIN. I hear plenty of people say "Well, you can't just loan someone your Magic Band (to get a discount they're not entitled to) because they also need a PIN to get the discount", but the PIN provides almost zero additional security because you can share that just as easily as the band.

It's the same problem they started to have with the lounges. People figured out you could just as easily share a screen shot of your digital card as you could the old Blue Card, complete with QR code, and anyone could use it to be scanned into the lounges. Now, you have to show ID along with the digital card for entry. I have a suspicion Disney was on to this a while ago, when we started hearing people mention that "the CM wanted to see me actually pull up the digital card from my phone wallet" at a few restaurants and retail locations. Unfortunately, people are always going to try to game the system.

Do I care immensely that someone saved $4.75 on their graduation Mickey ears by using a discount they weren't entitled to? Not particularly. Do I get a small perverse pleasure in seeing someone get their face rubbed in a pile of hubris when they get caught? Possibly.

As others noted, the handheld scanners DO show DVC and AP icons., at least they used to. I've had restaurants that used hand scanners take that icon rather than dig out the card before it was accessible on the phone. The self check app for stores also has the discount already figured in, but only works at specific locations, though more are being added.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter