I75 vs. I79/I77/I95 Route from Ontario, Canada

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi All!

Our next Florida trip will likely be a ROAD TRIP! This past summer we drove from Toronto to Cinicinnati via I75 with Dave Hunter's ALONG I-75 in my lap.

We are going to Daytona Beach first and I just plain have a hard head set on another route, I79/I77/I95.

I need your advice on the best route.

I think we'll drive in March or April. Thanks! S

I have no idea which is faster or shorter. Looking at a map, one difference is you will have two toll roads (in NY and WV) going the I-79/I-77/I-95 route. I don't know how much the tolls are. Also, the scenery going through the Appalachians in WV, VA, and NC is bound to be wonderful. Once you get to I-95, expect huge stretches of unimpressive scenery (kind of like going through southern GA on I-75).

I guess the main thing is if the weather cooperates. March can be a little dicey. About 10 years ago, when I was living in GA, we got hit with a huge snowstorm one March that dumped about 2 feet on us, and I think the storm stretched up into VA. I-75 was shut down and many people were stranded.

Matt, you are good! I remember that snowstorm, & it did come up the East Coast at least to the mid-Atlantic. It was around March 12, 1993.

I agree that the traveling weather in March can be kind of "iffy" for driving. Heck, this week was "iffy" driving on I95 from Florida to the Northeast! As of yesterday there were several downed pine trees along the shoulder in the north bound lanes in NC.

SandraC-It would depend on whether you want shorter or prettier drive. If you have small kids you probably want shorter if they are a little older and you want some sights along the way that would make a difference also.

If you are a CAA member you can get trip tiks free and they will map out routes, give you driving times, possible road closures and any sights of interest along the way. They will even book your overnight rest stops etc.

Many years ago we drove I75 with a 2-1/2 year old in the car. The 26 hours seemed like a lot longer. Friends of ours are snowbirds and go to Florida for 6 months every year. They prefer the I95 drive. They have their route set with places to stop and where they stay overnight etc.

Personally, when we go (even though I have 3 nervous flyers) I'll take the 2 hour 15 min flight anytime.

SandraC - I would say it really depends on the weather.
We moved down to Atlanta from Burlington, Ont about 1 1/2 yrs ago, so we've made the trip back and forth several times now. When we moved we did the 79/77 route but that was November and weather was perfect. At Christmas we did I-75/401 all the way.
My opinion is 77/79/95 is much prettier and scenic route, but there are not as many options to stop for breaks and it is much more mountainous. On I-75 there seems to be somewhere to stop at almost every interchange. On 77/79 there were much bigger stretches between places to stop.
We have small kids, so need to be able to stop for bathroom breaks if need be.
My advise would be take I-75 down if their is a possibility of bad weather and try 95/79/77 home.
I personally find I-75 quicker - but we don't have to time it to get through ATL traffic!
Another advantage of I-75 is there is a Wendy's/Tim Hortons (yes, a Tim's!!) just around Bowling Green Ohio. DH starts to get excited entering Ohio!!

If you decide on the I-95 route, whatever else you do, avoid the Baltimore/Washington area at any time near morning or afternoon rush hour. Otherwise your nerves will be so on edge that it will take you the rest of the drive to Florida to recover.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter