Ice Cream Social-Garden Grill-Epcot

ribbot

DIS Veteran
Has anybody done this and is it worth the $6.99 pricetag? Exactly what do they do? Fun for a 4 year old? Any info would be appreciated.

I may be wrong, but I think it's going to close or is closed for renovations...?

Bonnie40 said:
I may be wrong, but I think it's going to close or is closed for renovations...?

Garden Grill is closed for the renovation of the Land pavillion and the opening of the new Soaring attraction. I believe the Garden Grill is closed until April sometime (at first I heard early April, and now I've heard late April).

That being said, if you're going after April, I say DO IT! We did this with our 2 and 5 year olds back in May and they just loved it. Everyone gets a huge ice cream sundae. We had great interaction with the characters, they each came by our table probably 3 times. Plus, the kids loved that the seating area turns. And a nice break in the afternoon in the afternoon was nice, we ate dinner much later that evening, thus avoiding a lot of the crowds at mealtime.

Is $6.99 worth it? I don't know... its Disney, but I think its a great alternative to a much more expensive character meal.

We have done this twice and my kids and DH loved it (big icecream lovers). Great time with Mickey, Minnie, Chip and Dale and (I think) Goofy. I don't know when your trip is but I am thinking that Garden Grill is going to be closed for a while, even after Soarin opens.

Ok, Thanks!! We're gonna do it!! Yes, it's closed now, but we're going mid-April so it should be open by then (hopefully).

I saw I had to make a PS for this.....couldn't believe it, but it's true.

I'll let you all know how it is and how we liked it when we get back. :)

We did this on our last trip in June. The character interaction was great and it was nice break from the Flordia heat. We will probably do it again on our next trip.

I tried to make reservation for this for our trip but was told it was closed til 4/25.

Nancy :earsgirl:

This is one of - if not The Best character interaction in the whole park. You'll start with this.....
f7a02b6c.jpg

Farmer Mickey, Pluto, and Chip N Dale all come around to the tables. They spend a little time with the kids too. They colored and even danced with my DD4. The Garden Grill is a nice cool spot to be, especially during the summer time. The restaurant spins (very slowly), showing various "views". We saw "views" of the sun setting, a small town (I think it was about to be a storm - I think - I remember something like that anyway). And to top it off after the ice cream you can go into the garden and get "rehitched". I'm not sure if they are still going to offer the rehitching after the renovation, but it was really cute. You say your "vows" then you have to kiss while they count to 100 (moving 1-10 then 20, 30, 40, etc.). I am making this character meet a much do every trip and for $6.99 - who can beat this. I do recommend that you not eat right before the ice cream - don't let the picture fool you - its really big! More ice cream than I could ever eat in one seating! :flower:

Thanks for all the input and to the OP for asking :flower1:

I was wondering the same thing (if it was worth it), I'll have to make a PS for our July trip :Pinkbounc

I have to say that this was our absolute WORST experience when we were there in 2001. The characters actually RAN by our dd we had to request that they stop for pictures and to sign her autograph book. It really hurt her feelings, she felt that it was her fault or something. While is a reasonably priced character meal, it was just a complete waste of our time or money.

When we went three years ago I think, it was a nice break from the heat and the kids loved it. The characters spent alot of time at our table- also coloring, Goofy poured candy on my son's icecream ect ect.... Now I read that you can renew your wedding vows during this social??!! I guess that is something new they are adding. That should be interesting. (not) But I say go- you end up paying like $5 for an icecream treat from the cart most times anyway.

Two good and two not so good reviews. I still think that we will try it for the price. Now, if I could only bring myself to pay for a character dinner. Breakfast would be a complete waste of money for us.

Doesn't look like we're going to get there this trip---and I was so looking forward to it for my 4 year old son. When I called to make a PS today for somewhere else, I inquired about the ice cream social. The person told me it is closed until April 25th and that's our LAST day in WDW! BUMMER!!!

He would just LOVE an ice cream that looked like that! Thanks for posting the pic and for all the details. Maybe next time for us!

java said:
Now I read that you can renew your wedding vows during this social??!! I guess that is something new they are adding.

They used to do it but not anymore. I have heard they stopped doing it. I was looking forward to surprising my hubby with this on our Dec '04 trip but they stopped doing it sometime prior to that. There is speculation as to why but no clear answer that I could find.

The views you see out the windows are from The Land ride aren't they? I remember noticing the windows from the boat on the ride.

Oh no! the rehitching is discontinued?? :sad2:

I was looking forward to that, and thought I was lucky that we'll be there the end of April when it is scheduled to re-open. Guess I'll find out for sure in a few days when I call to make the PS. I'll let you know.

We got "rehitched" last May and it was a lot of fun. However, my friend that told me to ask to get rehitched refused to "give away" any secrets of it...it ended up being a cute anniversary celebration complete with a free cake (in place of your dessert, we ate there for lunch)...well it wasn't our true anniversary, but we played along. It was a celebration trip for me in that I had just graduated with my MEd and had lost 25 lbs....just not the same as an anniversary!

So sad to hear they don't do this any longer! Wish they would do something similar.

SunFloridaDisney said:
Oh no! the rehitching is discontinued?? :sad2:

I was looking forward to that, and thought I was lucky that we'll be there the end of April when it is scheduled to re-open. Guess I'll find out for sure in a few days when I call to make the PS. I'll let you know.

Please do let me know :wave: I was sooooo looking forward to doing it in Dec with my hubby for our 5 year anniversary but had read here they stopped doing it.

sunny04 said:
The views you see out the windows are from The Land ride aren't they? I remember noticing the windows from the boat on the ride.

I think so, I really can't remember - but I do remember the sun setting scene. Come think of it, it was something going on right up under it so you are probably right. I took pictures, but they were sooo dark.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter