Iceland Luggage Restriction

OK, so I called ABD. According to the information she had, for the internal flight, we are allowed one checked bag (no more than 44lbs), one small carry-on (no more than 13lbs - I know, the handbook says 10lbs, but her data said 13) with a max dimension of 22x14x8, AND a personal item that has to fit under the seat in front of you. She says they recommend your carry-on not be wheeled, because those typically don't fit in the overhead bin.

Sayhello
Thanks! That’s incredibly helpful. My carry-on has wheels though so I wish they would have included that in the handbook. I ordered a super lightweight one just for this trip so I’ll report back here if I have any issues next week.

Yes, the Handbook definitely says a small carry-on and a personal item (along with one checked bag). Then it says, for the internal flight, weights are very strict (44lbs/20kg for checked and 10lb/4.5kg for carry-on). Why would they differentiate the weights if you weren't allowed a carry-on?

Sayhello
I got it from the airline website, but I would go with what Disney says.

I too will struggle with the weight limit, but I will make it work. My husband is a bit shocked with my stack of clothing I have set aside. He said he had twice as much packed, lol. I'm going to try to have a pair of pants, a fleece half zip, underwear, and socks for each day and maybe one extra set just in case. May cut back on the pants and wash at the hotel if needed. Also will take a rain jacket, a heavy jacket and a mid-weight jacket along with knit hat and gloves. I think that will be it for clothing. Now, to figure what camera gear I can't live without. As all of that will be in with my weight limits as that is my hobby. Ugh. But hey, We are going to Iceland!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I can live with the 44lb checked luggage, but there's NO WAY my carry-on is going to be 10lb!! That's ridiculous. My carry-on weighs almost 8 pounds empty!!

Sahello
We are on that flight tomorrow. I will let you know how strict it is. They also asked us to move into ONLY a carry on for the night prior to the flight, making the carry on limit even tougher!

We are on that flight tomorrow. I will let you know how strict it is. They also asked us to move into ONLY a carry on for the night prior to the flight, making the carry on limit even tougher!
Thanks, @tsgirl. That will be a HUGE help.

So they want your checked bag done before you go bed? That's rough, because I bring my memory foam pillow with me and it's really heavy! This whole thing is a nightmare for a freakin' 40 minute flight! :(

Sayhello

Thanks, @tsgirl. That will be a HUGE help.

So they want your checked bag done before you go bed? That's rough, because I bring my memory foam pillow with me and it's really heavy! This whole thing is a nightmare for a freakin' 40 minute flight! :(

Sayhello

Truth! I can’t understand why ABD doesn’t just drive the luggage up in a van

Truth! I can’t understand why ABD doesn’t just drive the luggage up in a van
I asked the Vacationista this!! She had no idea. She put in a research request to see what the cost is for overweight luggage; when she calls me back, I think I'm going to ask her to research the driving the luggage up there thing, too!

Sayhello

Okay- just checked in at the regional airport. We were allowed to move things from our overnight bags into our suitcases. It was a bit of a free for all. Our carry-ons weren’t weighed at all. Also, suitcases were put on the scale in pairs. It was all very disorganized. I didn’t see anyone charged extra but I will ask around to see if anyone was charged.

Okay- just checked in at the regional airport. We were allowed to move things from our overnight bags into our suitcases. It was a bit of a free for all. Our carry-ons weren’t weighed at all. Also, suitcases were put on the scale in pairs. It was all very disorganized. I didn’t see anyone charged extra but I will ask around to see if anyone was charged.
Thank you! I feel much better now (except for the disorganized part. But maybe that worked in your favor...) Although I admit to being confused as to why you had to put your suitcases out early if you were re-united with them at the airport. Was it just a transportation issue?

*Were* you allowed a personal item, also?

Sayhello

Thank you! I feel much better now (except for the disorganized part. But maybe that worked in your favor...) Although I admit to being confused as to why you had to put your suitcases out early if you were re-united with them at the airport. Was it just a transportation issue?

*Were* you allowed a personal item, also?

Sayhello
We didn’t have to put anything out early. We needed to turn in our large suitcases the day before to be stored under the bus for the prior night stay. We only had our carry ons for the stay in Vik. Then, at the airport, we could put things back into our big suitcase by opening up our bags on the floor. No carry ons were weighed and no purses even looked at. I had a purse, backpack and suitcase. Also, after check in, the flight was super easy and convenient! It is a regional airport, so no security or issues with liquids, etc....

We didn’t have to put anything out early. We needed to turn in our large suitcases the day before to be stored under the bus for the prior night stay. We only had our carry ons for the stay in Vik. Then, at the airport, we could put things back into our big suitcase by opening up our bags on the floor. No carry ons were weighed and no purses even looked at. I had a purse, backpack and suitcase.
Oh, interesting! So you never got them back after leaving Reykjavik, until you were in the airport to go to Akureyri? Yikes! I assume they gave you a really good idea of what you'd need for you day in Vik? That's interesting. I guess it makes leaving from the Vik hotel a bit easier in the morning. Was that an early morning?

Also, after check in, the flight was super easy and convenient! It is a regional airport, so no security or issues with liquids, etc....
Well that's really good to hear!

Thanks!
Sayhello

Oh, interesting! So you never got them back after leaving Reykjavik, until you were in the airport to go to Akureyri? Yikes! I assume they gave you a really good idea of what you'd need for you day in Vik? That's interesting. I guess it makes leaving from the Vik hotel a bit easier in the morning. Was that an early morning?

Well that's really good to hear!

Thanks!
Sayhello
They gave us a super helpful list! We left at 8:15 am, but with no porters, loading the bus back up would have been tough. Also, we arrived close to midnight the night before and everyone just wanted to go to sleep! I will say that you need VERY few clothes here. All casual, and lots of layers....

Interesting.....they did not make us do this. We had everything with us. And never left our big suitcases on the bus. But because everyone had everything with them there was no craziness at the airport. I wonder why they changed this as I don’t think us keeping our stuff created an issue.

We didn’t have to put anything out early. We needed to turn in our large suitcases the day before to be stored under the bus for the prior night stay. We only had our carry ons for the stay in Vik. Then, at the airport, we could put things back into our big suitcase by opening up our bags on the floor. No carry ons were weighed and no purses even looked at. I had a purse, backpack and suitcase. Also, after check in, the flight was super easy and convenient! It is a regional airport, so no security or issues with liquids, etc....

Interesting.....they did not make us do this. We had everything with us. And never left our big suitcases on the bus. But because everyone had everything with them there was no craziness at the airport. I wonder why they changed this as I don’t think us keeping our stuff created an issue.

Interesting! Maybe it was just our guides and it won’t happen again....

Our experience. Checked Luggage was weighed at airport but nothing was charged and carry one weren't weighed at all. It was SUPER casual airport. . No security check even. :)

For the night in Vik, you could either pack a night bag for the hotel and leave the rest on the bus, or you could bring everything up to your room which is what we did. Then in the morning, we all brought our bags back to the bus and all luggage came to the airport with us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter