ID tag for little ones?

DisneyMomOfThree

Mouseketeer
My DS3 is significantly speech delayed and can not tell you his name. When he sees something that he likes he tends to run to it. With 2 other children and a stroller it can be difficult to chase him down in crowds. Is there ID tags for children who may get lost stating their first name and contact info?

Had same exact problem when my son was a toddler (down syndrome) and back then I had to order id through the mail for lots of $$, but now it is so easy.

Go to a Walmart (even some pet stores have) to a kiosk machine for ID tags. At Walmart they are usually up front somewhere. They are small metal or hard plastic like dog tags. Come in lots of shapes and colors (not just for animals). Key in any information you want on the tag and it automatically engraves it while you wait. Then I weave one onto his shoelace. They are noticable to helpers should he become lost, but not that easy to read if you are just looking down at them. They can't get them off their shoes and if they seemed bothered then add a colorful or fun bead (maybe change colors for the holidays ;) )to it that they pick out. "shoe decoration" It's great because they can't get them off, they can't feel them, but they are noticable enough to someone trying to help them.

I would get an engraved tag with his name and your cell # or a shoe tag with the same information.
A cheap solution would be to go to a place like PetsMart that has an engraving machine and get a none animal like tag and engrave the information and then attach that to his shoe laces.

There are also ID's for shoes. Of course, now I cant remember where I saw them, but I know that they have been on the TV show The View. I think you could find info. there. They are called something like Shoe ID.

Hope this helps,
Kris

I do think they hook on by velco, so it might be too easy to get off.

I THINK THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT THIS SITE ON MOUSESAVERS.COM OR ALLNET. BUT I REALLY LIKE THE TAG IDEA. :flower:

I have always used a luggage tag since he was 6.
I just put his name & my cell phone # on a card & slip it inside.
Hook it onto 1 of his belt loops.

When he was little we used a luggage strap.
The kind was a hook on both ends of a strap.
Hooked 1 onto my belt loop the other onto 1 of his belt loops.

I haved lost him 1 time.
Total 8 vacations Mom & DS now 11.
Knock wood.

We have preprinted stick-on labels with last name, resort and cell phone number. We place them where they won't bother the kids, or peel off easily. We also take a digital photo each morning as a record of what they are wearing.

We have explained what to do should they get separated, although this has not been needed in practice. There have been many moments, where we have lost track of one of them, and found them happy and oblivious nearby.

If you have time my DH found our 3 kids the engraved metal bracelets. Remeber those from elementary school? Well, he found our for about $6.95 and that includes the shipping! DH is ill today so once he's awake I'll ask him for the website address.

When we went to Disney, I received a tag from the Magic Kingdom service desk for my daughter who is Autistic. I pinned it on her and not only was it a great safety mechanism, the cast seemed to know exactly what the tag meant and they were extra-super great to her. It was nice to know they go the extra mile for those who need it but can't necessarily let them know about it!

Thanks to all. I would not have ever thought of a dog tag or something similar to it. But ask the experts at the Dis boards and you will always get an answer. :cheer2:

You Can Also Make A Necklace Or A Bracelett Out Of Beads. My Friends Did This. The Kids Thought It Was So Cool. Go To Your Local Craft Store And Buy The Beads That Spell Out Their Name/your Cell Number. You Can Also Laminate An Index Card With All The Information, Punch A Hole In It And Put It Around Your Sons Neck.

My Dd Is Now 10, And We Have "visited The World" Each Year Since She Was 5.
*my Dh And I Always Carry An Updated Picture Of Her.
*she And I Always Wear The Same Color Shirts. This Way I Can't Forget What She Has On If Lost. She Now Looks Forward To Picking Out Our Shirts For Each Trip. It Is So Easy To Forget What They Have On Even When You Dress Them.

Have A Great Trip

I have threatened to get a tag for my Mom. Lost her last year at Osborne lights....of course she couldn't get cell phone reception.....scary time for all involved!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter