Idea to improve DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to point out the Universal has been mentioned as using the system the OP suggests. If it is used at Universal, it is Universal in California.

Universal Studios/IOA in Florida uses basically the save system as Disney's DAS.

Ok, maybe I'm just not getting it but please explain. The way I'm reading it you would approach your first ride, get to ride it immediately. That ride had a 30min wait time so the cm stamps your DAS that you would need to wait 30min to ride your next attraction. I'm not seeing where that is fair to anyone. What if you saw a wait time of 15 min for stitch and the cm stamps your DAS that you can ride your next attraction in 15 min and then go to space mountain which has a wait time of 60min. I essence you can ride that attraction with little to no wait. Does this make sence to anyone here because I think I just confused myself.

Ok, maybe I'm just not getting it but please explain. The way I'm reading it you would approach your first ride, get to ride it immediately. That ride had a 30min wait time so the cm stamps your DAS that you would need to wait 30min to ride your next attraction. I'm not seeing where that is fair to anyone. What if you saw a wait time of 15 min for stitch and the cm stamps your DAS that you can ride your next attraction in 15 min and then go to space mountain which has a wait time of 60min. I essence you can ride that attraction with little to no wait. Does this make sence to anyone here because I think I just confused myself.

But then you can't ride your next ride for 60 minutes. It's all the same

I wanted to point out the Universal has been mentioned as using the system the OP suggests. If it is used at Universal, it is Universal in California. Universal Studios/IOA in Florida uses basically the save system as Disney's DAS.

Universal Florida has a clear cut time limit..30 minutes and under.. You go to fastpass. Any more then that you get a return time. Disney has no clue. Some lady told me it has to be under 10. What is ever a 5 minute wait? Come on. 10 minutes is crazy. Get a time frame and stick too it. 20 mins and under fastpass line or something. How can you plan when you don't know?

Ok so if I understand this proposed system you'd be flipping it around to put the wait time at the end of the ride instead of the beginning. The benefit is that you're not starting your day with a wait and you'll be able to ride something at the end of the day when CMs are proving reluctant to give Return Times (i.e. in the last hour a park is open).

No I don't find that unfair to non-DAS people. You're still taking the same amount of time to do an attraction. The extra time for waiting is taken at the end and prohibits you from getting on something until you have completed that wait.

One thing I found potentially unfair at DAS is that it does not account for the additional wait one encounters when using a wheelchair-accessible vehicle. Since there are so few of those it is common to encounter a line that can take another 20 mins or so above and beyond what a non-wheelchair car user encounters. This system will include that wait in it's post-ride Return Time.

Example: I go to TSM at 2pm when there is a 90 min wait. I'm admitted into the FP line and then wait for the wheelchair vehicle another 30 mins to board (6 mins allotted for each party in front of me, and 5 parties waiting before me). I finish my ride at 2:40pm, but now I have until 3:30pm before I can go on my next attraction with DAS. I can go into One Man's Dream or maybe join the queue for Lights, Motor, Action!

Under current DAS rules, I'd get my Return Time at 2pm. Then return at 3:30pm, wait the extra 30 mins in the Wheelie Line to ride, and get out at 4:10pm. I've now spent longer than any guest to do the same thing.

(People really need to understand that if one has a disability that affects boarding, there is always extra time allotted to for every attraction. The mythical FOTL pass abuse was for folks who have no boarding issues.)

Also this system would allow me to get on TSM in the last hour DHS is open. Currently, CMs have been refusing to give Return Times because they'd be after the park closes. That's decidedly unfair to disabled DAS guests because everyone in Standby is allowed to ride as long as they're in the line before the park closes.

I guess my issue is that (at least at WDW) this does not split your wait, it eliminates it. You enter immediately, wait 5 mins in fp line, ride for 5 mins, then proceed to next activity. If you alternate long wait/short wait lines, you dont even have downtime unless you go during a crazy busy week. When discussing non-physical disabilities It provides immediate gratification to items that cost the non-disabled hours.

I think its clear the issue is that there need to be a different system for physical vs. Non-physical disabilities. Skip every line is not fair, completely separate line for different vehicle is at least better.

Jungle Cruise at WDW is another example. This was one of the attractions we got a return time for my son (he has several needs other than using the w/c). Waited the amount of time written on the card. Kept an eye on the family who entered the FP line while we were sent to the accessible boarding. That family got on the 2nd boat. We were told we just missed the boat, so it would be another 10 minute wait. Had there been more w/c ahead of us, it would have added another 10 minutes per chair. So we were lucky.

That was the first day of DAS. The FP lines were very empty that day.

I get what you are saying, but I am not seeing how the new DAS is "unfair". I suppose for some it will not work, but for my family, it will work wonderfully esp. because it doesn't have a set return window. What I mean is, once the FP windows started being enforced, it was a little harder for our family to stick to the window. Many FPs went unused and were given away because something would happen and we just couldn't make it back to that ride in time. Yes, we can only hold one at a time, but if my 3 year old decides to have a complete meltdown and needs a snack RIGHT NOW, we will still be able to use the DAS as long as it past the initial wait time; even if it was supposed to be a 30 min wait and we are showing up 2 hours later. Or if my son decides he is just not up to the ride he previously was all excited about, I can just have the ride scratched out and get another one. With the reg. FP, I would have to wait until the next FP could be pulled; usually 2 hour window. Getting 3 to 4 rides done in the morning, to us, is an awesome morning.

My response is to the OP.

But then you can't ride your next ride for 60 minutes. It's all the same

I don't think I understand either. Even though you can't use your pass for 60 minutes, can't you go on other rides that have no wait or only a very short wait or see a show? It seems to me that with planning, you could go non stop and do much more than people having to wait in the regular line. Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds like a front of the line pass that easily could be abused. I'm not trying to be difficult, but I just can't figure out how this system would be fair to people who have to wait in line. If you add looping to this system, couldn't you ride two or three times while someone else is still in line waiting for their first ride?

My understanding is the total wait time would be the same as the standby time for either the current DAS or the OP's suggested system. In the suggested change the wait outside of the line moves to after the ride.

Current DAS: wait outside of line/ wait in fast pass line/ ride
Suggest DAS: wait in fast pass line/ ride/ wait outside of line

In either system the DAS holder has the freedom to go a ride not using their DAS during their wait outside the ride. The person waiting in standby will not have this choice.

Hopediamant said:
Delete post,remove comments and ban people.
Business as usual. This forum is KING in this and all because people just are telling the truth.
Over a decade people were told here on this forum that the GAC had no special privileges. In the mean while you all used it to get FOTL.
Nothing changed ,nothing new here so move on people.
No, we didn't. Did some find a way to do that? Yes, but you must realize the vast majority of us were still waiting the length of the lines between rides. Some due to the way things worked and others due to our needs. In my opinion, I don't really care if it's my body telling me I must wait of if it's Disney. What I DO mind is Disney telling me that I MUST wait LONGER than everyone else, that I MUST walk more than everyone else and that I cannot get a Return Time at the end of the night, even though others can get in a standby line.

These are the main issues that my suggestion aims to fix.

The WDW Cognitive Disabilities Guide (CDG) recommends using FP and FP+ to "plan my day". The assertion is that these, with the DASC, will allow me to be in the right place, at the right time, for my kids (2 w/ASD) to ride those must-do rides.

One problem I foresee (going to WDW in 2 weeks for the first time since the change) is the hard stop times on the FP and FP+. The DASC is open-ended, we just can't get another until they use or void the first. But if I have reserved a FP+ for Small World, one hour for a solo mom with 2 on the spectrum is very hard to plan. One child or the other may have a meltdown requiring cool down (that can take from 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending how bad the situation), I may need to allow my kids vestibular (spinning) time or other visual stimming, and I dread the possibility of a toileting emergency for my 11 yo DS (which occasionally requires a trip to the locker, wherein fresh clothing is kept, not like a quick onesie change after a diaper blowout-trust me!). With my child's GAC, they rode when they got to an attraction, and nothing was on a timetable. (Needless to say, we almost NEVER planned a TS meal, as these were waaaay too easy to overshoot).

Is there an accommodation which will allow me, with my FP/FP+ planning, to show entrance CMs the kids' FP return time, explain the reason we were late (due to a disability) to override the hard return time? They still wait, like non DAS-users, for return times (or reserved times FP+) to begin, so it's not a FOTL accommodation, but if I'm 30 minutes past the hard stop for their return (which means they've really waited 90 minutes MORE than standby guests who arrived at the attraction at the same time as us) due to my child's disability, I won't be penalized and have to start their wait time all over again, or worse-leave the attraction altogether without letting them experience it, because we have another reserved attraction, thereby causing another meltdown, requiring more cooldown, which slips us past that reservation, too, which causes another meltdown...oh, you get my point!).

Southerndisney said:
My understanding is the total wait time would be the same as the standby time for either the current DAS or the OP's suggested system. In the suggested change the wait outside of the line moves to after the ride.

In either system the DAS holder has the freedom to ride a non fast pass ride during their wait outside the ride. The person waiting in standby will not have this choice.

Exactly, both systems have a person waiting, my suggestion simply changes when you wait to eliminate the problems that are present with the current system.

The WDW Cognitive Disabilities Guide (CDG) recommends using FP and FP+ to "plan my day". The assertion is that these, with the DASC, will allow me to be in the right place, at the right time, for my kids (2 w/ASD) to ride those must-do rides.

One problem I foresee (going to WDW in 2 weeks for the first time since the change) is the hard stop times on the FP and FP+. The DASC is open-ended, we just can't get another until they use or void the first. But if I have reserved a FP+ for Small World, one hour for a solo mom with 2 on the spectrum is very hard to plan. One child or the other may have a meltdown requiring cool down (that can take from 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending how bad the situation), I may need to allow my kids vestibular (spinning) time or other visual stimming, and I dread the possibility of a toileting emergency for my 11 yo DS (which occasionally requires a trip to the locker, wherein fresh clothing is kept, not like a quick onesie change after a diaper blowout-trust me!). With my child's GAC, they rode when they got to an attraction, and nothing was on a timetable. (Needless to say, we almost NEVER planned a TS meal, as these were waaaay too easy to overshoot).

Is there an accommodation which will allow me, with my FP/FP+ planning, to show entrance CMs the kids' FP return time, explain the reason we were late (due to a disability) to override the hard return time? They still wait, like non DAS-users, for return times (or reserved times FP+) to begin, so it's not a FOTL accommodation, but if I'm 30 minutes past the hard stop for their return (which means they've really waited 90 minutes MORE than standby guests who arrived at the attraction at the same time as us) due to my child's disability, I won't be penalized and have to start their wait time all over again, or worse-leave the attraction altogether without letting them experience it, because we have another reserved attraction, thereby causing another meltdown, requiring more cooldown, which slips us past that reservation, too, which causes another meltdown...oh, you get my point!).

At this point, no. There is no leniency on FP or FP+ return times.

In either system the DAS holder has the freedom to ride a non fast pass ride during their wait outside the ride. The person waiting in standby will not have this choice.

makes sense to me as well. i don't see why people are saying it is unfair to what the DAS currently is, other than they apparently do not understand the DAS-holder is always going to be waiting outside the line and thus free to do whatever is necessary during that time. for my family, that's going to be consoling a very strong 20-year-old into understanding why even though we were just at the entrance for X-attraction, we have to go do something else until it's time to go back and actually ride it. a growing experience for all involved, including bypassers.

it's the "my child without disabilities has to wait in line and it's unfair to us that we have to wait and your child with disabilities does not have to wait" mentality that is the crux of the complaints. i don't think that will ever go away, even with the current DAS system, because it's human nature for people to see the service being provided and not process "why do they get it and not i?" (and this isn't just with ADA-compliant services, even look at the "why did that person get a free cupcake and i didn't?" complaints. most often, people will always complain.) i do agree the GAC had to change, and i think the current DAS is at least a step in the right direction of controlling abuse, but there's nothing between what the OP is proposing and the current DAS that would make the abuse that does sneak through any more prevalent.

SKRUD said:

I definitely do an I don't know if there is, but this would be a great question to ask on the official thread.

I could see my suggested system workingbetter with such things, but I don't know what the official resoonse is right now.

You could always ask at the attraction if this were to happen. You could explain that your child has a disability and you had trouble getting to the attraction in the return window. The CM may let you in, it depends on the operational considerations at the attraction. It also might depend on the amount of time you are late. 30 minutes? probably okay. 3 hours? You are probably out of luck.

Additionally I would advise you to visit Guest Relations at one of their regional locations throughout the park and explain your situation. They are able to offer assistance as well, and can change your FP time or offer other assistance in these situations.

Flipping the wait to after the ride might be easier on the CMs. Right now they have to sign the card, then approve the time when the guest comes back. Flipping the wait would mean they just interact one time, and the guest goes right in. It would also simplify things for the guest with disabilities. If the drawback is that it's vulnerable to abuse, then there's a situation where the abusers have made it harder for people with disabilities. Maybe the flipped-wait will be how it will work once DAS is incorporated into the Fastpass+ technology.

I don't think I understand either. Even though you can't use your pass for 60 minutes, can't you go on other rides that have no wait or only a very short wait or see a show? It seems to me that with planning, you could go non stop and do much more than people having to wait in the regular line. Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds like a front of the line pass that easily could be abused. I'm not trying to be difficult, but I just can't figure out how this system would be fair to people who have to wait in line. If you add looping to this system, couldn't you ride two or three times while someone else is still in line waiting for their first ride?

Accutally this is the way I was looking too. My mother could get a DAS for our next upcoming trip. If she could use it based on the way you have it set up then I would go to say tomorrowland, get a fp for space mountain, go to stitches great escape ( with a wait time of 15/20 minutes ) get her DAS stamped with her next wait time for ANY ride of 15/20 minutes, go over to space mountain, ride this ride with very little waiting then use my fp to ride it again in a short time. Seems like your getting a bit of a advantage over guest without a DAS. I thought with the current DAS, you are given a wait time equal to the standby wait time minus 15 minutes for THAT ride only.

I do believe though that if a family approachd a ride with a 15/20 minute standby wait that it is ridiculous to send that family away and tell them they can come back in five min. to ride. At that point they should be allowed on the ride.

But isn't this what a fast pass does? You get 1 fastpass ( or with a DAS 1 return time) then can go ride other rides that have a shorter wait? Then return. The only advantage the DAS has is you can return any time after but you can only have 1 return time. Unlike a fastpass where you can get another 2 hours later right?

The people who are getting confused about this idea are confusing ME haha.

Right. I've used this system at UK parks. It's great. This is how it works. Say you go on a ride first thing that has a 70min queue. You are allowed straight on that first ride. Or if Disney's case you likely go through the FP line. Your card is marked as you board the ride with a time. If I went to board a ride with a 70 mins queue at 1pm, then on my card they would write 2.10pm. I then cannot ride another ride using the handicapped queue until 2.10. No ride at all unless I go via the standby queue. Regardless of waitime. So yes, someone using this system can go and do another ride via the standby queue, or go eat, or ride a FP ride, during this wait time. But that is true of the current DAS too. But you can only get one time on your DAS card at a time, and that wouldn't change.

It's basically, exactly the same system, apart from it's much easier for actual disabled guests. If you have a physical disability, it means you don't have to backtrack on yourself. For someone with a cognitive disability who finds walking away from a ride without riding difficult, this makes it much easier to avoid meltdowns as the parent or carer can just avoid any ride they need to until the time on the DAS has passed.

It really works very well in almost all UK parks. Now, bear in mind that here, you do have to provide proof of disability, so really, there is less room for abuse. That said, AT MOST, a disabled guest has the advantage of that one ride at the start of the day they can walk straight on too. But also bear in mind that they have already waited at guest services to get the pass. And then there will still be somewhat of a wait in the FP or handicapped line, and the current wait time is written as you board the ride. So that "advantage" evens itself out very quickly.

It really is a fantastic system. I wish Disney would consider implementing it, but I really don't see them changing the system again, which is a shame. I do hope they change it haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter