IF the Big Cheese is reading, how would you improve DVC? *Updated Summary Post #105*

Make Boardwalk all-DVC to increase the number of DVC rooms in the Epcot resorts area. Or introduce Yacht Club Villas.

We tried the Magic hours at night and what a nightmare. The parks all dump into one park. It is so over crowded and just impossible to get on anything.

John

My biggest beef, or lack thereof is grocery variety. All the resorts have a different list, and no two are the same, last time I looked. OKW has the best ond longest list. There are certain items available there, and not at the others. Some lists have not been updated in a few years. As for the DVC resorts with BBQ's, there is no butcher type items for sale. I do understand the space restrictions, and also that meat has a short shelf life. FW grocery has a few more items than VWL also, but we like to walk or boat over to shop there. The lack of spices at all the resorts is frustrating also.
One of our trips is always planned for the Food& Wine Festival. We have kitchens in our DVC's. I even like to cook while on vacation at times. I would think someone in marketing would have put two and two together by now.
A good solution would be to add a grocery in DTD, that way anyone could take a bus over, get items not available at the resort grocery, and catch a bus back.

When I initially posed the question, I wasn't actually thinking of member Perks, but rather suggestions that were more operational or Room related in nature.

So to recap those operational or room suggestions so far, we have:

1. Improve member website
2. A Maintence / Housekeeping Inspection or Incident Form that can be tracked and monitored
3. Reduce Member marketing material
4. Better sheets & towels
5. Better enforcement of Rules
6. Provide nightstands in all studios
7. Offer HBO or Pay Per View
8. Change Home Resort Priority Window
9. Provide better MS training
10. Full cleaning on day 4
11. Make all 1 Bedrooms a capacity of 5 using the new type sleeper chair
12. Better & more consistent housekeeping & maintenence
13. Replace patio furniture
14. Offer Concierge Level at all DVC resorts (as this is now included as a Guaranteed room type at AKL, I think it can now be considered an Operational issue)
15. Change transfer rules

Any others?

Discounts on park tickets (not just APs) -

No big deal - usually purchase them through Ticketmania

Non-smoking and a few fastpasses sounds good to me too:goodvibes

I would imagine that Florida, like many other states will eventually adopt a no smoking policy in all indoor areas and regulate outdoor locations for smoking as well, similar to what we have here in NYC.

I would imagine that Florida, like many other states will eventually adopt a no smoking policy in all indoor areas and regulate outdoor locations for smoking as well, similar to what we have here in NYC.

I hear the argument the smokers present, but the rest of us have to share that unit.

I've said this in other threads: free/cheaper internet. If its to be like "home", I shouldn't need to spend $10/day to just check my e-mail. ;)

Oh, and make it work properly...the one time I used it at the Poly (I NEEDED to check my e-mail at the time as I was selling a house at the time) it was so unreliable I only managed to sat online for about 20 minutes over the course of an hour. Not worth $10 - had it taken off the bill.

Hmm...other things off the top of my head...tough for me to say as I don't come "home" until July, but

- Improve member-only site (as others have stated)
- Discounts on park passes other than AP

I'll probably have more in a few more months...

I :love: my DVC and the other DVC resorts, but I also plan and intend to stay in every Disney property. It irks me that Disney offers all sorts of specials (bounceback, pin codes with 40% off rooms) to resort guests but not to DVC members. I was on "the list" to recieve offers prior to joining DVC, but the DVC membership seems to deleted me from the resort mailings. I do not even get the non-DVC planning DVDs that I request anymore!

I know we can use AP rates, but they are released much later and seem more limited. I also know we can use points to stay at any resort but the point values are exorbitant. I'd like to see Disney make it more attractive for DVC members to visit other resorts in addition to DVC. They could do this in a number of ways:

1. Offer a DVC discount off of rack rate rooms/packages.
2. Send promo mailings for room offers (like the 40% off) to DVC members as a preferred customer base.
or, my favorite:
3. Before offering AP rates or pin promos, offer DVC members reduced point stays at other properties during anticipated low-occupancy times. This would free up deluxe, larger DVC units for CRO to rent for $$$, so Disney would not be losing anything in the deal. If the point values were lowered seasonally to reflect what an AP or pin-code discounted room @ $10 per. point would go for, I think that would be very fair to everyone. You could have to present your blue membership card and ID at check-in to ensure that it was genuinely a perk for members, not a cheap way for renters to avoid paying CRO.

I :love: my DVC and the other DVC resorts, but I also plan and intend to stay in every Disney property. It irks me that Disney offers all sorts of specials (bounceback, pin codes with 40% off rooms) to resort guests but not to DVC members. I was on "the list" to recieve offers prior to joining DVC, but the DVC membership seems to deleted me from the resort mailings. I do not even get the non-DVC planning DVDs that I request anymore!

I know we can use AP rates, but they are released much later and seem more limited. I also know we can use points to stay at any resort but the point values are exorbitant. I'd like to see Disney make it more attractive for DVC members to visit other resorts in addition to DVC. They could do this in a number of ways:

1. Offer a DVC discount off of rack rate rooms/packages.
2. Send promo mailings for room offers (like the 40% off) to DVC members as a preferred customer base.
or, my favorite:
3. Before offering AP rates or pin promos, offer DVC members reduced point stays at other properties during anticipated low-occupancy times. This would free up deluxe, larger DVC units for CRO to rent for $$$, so Disney would not be losing anything in the deal. If the point values were lowered seasonally to reflect what an AP or pin-code discounted room @ $10 per. point would go for, I think that would be very fair to everyone. You could have to present your blue membership card and ID at check-in to ensure that it was genuinely a perk for members, not a cheap way for renters to avoid paying CRO.

Would be nice to be offered codes 1st; just wonder if it would defeat the idea of getting us to add on more points;) .

As one who has never gotten a code (i'm told the reasoning is that it's for a "target audience": those they want to return/try a more expensive resort class & certain geographical locales:rolleyes1 ); it'd be music to my ears. Especially, since many of us tend to either book a resort room or go off site to Universal:scared1: for the pricey weekend days. Since the last 40% off code was a bit of a psuedo-general public code (seems nearly everyone but me had it attached to their name lol) even though CRO insisted it was a pin code that was mailed to a select group; I like the thought of verification of credentials/eligibility @ check-in.

Florida was actually one of the first states with such legislation, and our law has been used as a model by many states. However, there is a provision in the Florida law which permits (but does not require) lodging establishments to allow smoking in designated smoking rooms only if they wish. It's up to the lodging establishment whether they allow smoking and how many rooms they designate if they choose to allow it.

I don't think I've seen one thing I've suggested in the past on the list....

...improve home resort ownership priority.

I see one suggestion to give home resort owners a bigger booking advantage window, and that's a good suggestion. But I'd go further.

I think that every resort has "high demand" rooms/views that should be classified separately similar to how BWV classifies Preferred-Boardwalk View and Preferred-Pool/Garden. I do not want Disney to come up with different point schedules, just classify the rooms with guaranteed reservation status.

That would give resort owners best shot at EPCOT views at BCV, or Congress Park at SSR, or any other classification of villas that these resorts know through experience are often requested. I think owning at a resort should carry more benefit than just the booking advantage.

YMMV :)

And since I'm on a roll, I'd like to see another thing...

.....Improve the execution on the waitlist and make it less "murky".

Right now I have very little confidence that the waitlist process is a fair one. I see way, way too many posts about people who call to ask about the waitlist and magically get their reservation during the call. I don't think calling about a waitlist request should bump someone ahead of others already on the waitlist ahead of the caller.

I'm probably a bit jaded on the WL topic...I'm batting 0 for 2 on my waitlists.

It would also be nice if they could actually tell you where you are on the list for each night of the reservation. That way, it would be easier to see if alternate plans need to be made or if it looks likely that the days will come through.

I know...hard to program. But the question wasn't about what's easy. It asked what would I like to see! :)

Okay, more of a "wish list" item here, not a real expectaion...

It wouldn't take much to add onto the end of VWL... Just enough to add a few grand villas..

I can't help it. The lodge style resort just begs for a 2-story GV with a traditional Great Room which includes a fireplace, loft, and ceiling to floor picture window.

Now, if they could just add some of that fake snow outside the window... :teeth:

MG

Florida was actually one of the first states with such legislation, and our law has been used as a model by many states.

And rejected by others.

However, there is a provision in the Florida law which permits (but does not require) lodging establishments to allow smoking in designated smoking rooms only if they wish. It's up to the lodging establishment whether they allow smoking and how many rooms they designate if they choose to allow it.

And that is as it should be as lodging establishments have to cater to a world wide market with positions on your topic as varied as the disscussion.
:)

And that is as it should be as lodging establishments have to cater to a world wide market with positions on your topic as varied as the disscussion.
I agree the lodging companies should retain their ability to develop their own policies.

However, I think the "competitive advantage" argument is very weak...especially when you're talking about WDW. The place has other attractions besides being able to smoke in a hotel room.

It's quite clear that many lodging chains think that argument is weak too, because the industry trend is strongly toward total non-smoking hotels. I'm sure those hotels have carefully studied the issues and decided smoking facilities are losers.

I personally don't think guest convenience/inconvenience has much to do with those policy decisions. I think they're driven by the competitive disadvantage smoking facilities face because of increased sick time and insurance costs...to say nothing of the unsafe/unhealthy workplace lawsuit issues. The HR issues of a workplace where smoking is permitted are much more compelling that what you or I like or dislike.

I'm gone back and picked up some items so am updating and reorganzing the list into two categories: Operational & Perks.

Operational / Room Improvements:

1. Improve member website
2. A Maintence / Housekeeping Inspection or Incident Form that can be tracked and monitored
3. Reduce Member marketing material
4. Better sheets & towels
5. Enforce the rules or change them
6. Provide nightstands in all studios
7. Offer HBO or Pay Per View
8. Change Home Resort Priority Window
9. Provide better MS/CM training
10. Full cleaning on day 4
11. Make all 1 Bedrooms a capacity of 5 using the new type sleeper chair
12. Better & more consistent housekeeping & maintenence
13. Replace patio furniture
14. Offer Concierge Level at all DVC resorts (as this is now included as a Guaranteed room type at AKL, I think it can now be considered an Operational issue)
15. Change transfer rules
16. Noon Checkout
17. Expand Concierge, BVTC, II offerings, eliminate exchange fees, ability to joine II direct
18. Reduce New DVC Construction
19. Build DL DVC
20. Build YC DVC
21. Make BW all DVC
22. Add Grand Villas to VWL
23. Add larger DVC Grocery
24. Expand Guaranteed Booking Categories at all resorts
25. Improve Waitlist process & offer Waitlist Status checks
26. Make all DVC Non-Smoking

Perks

1. Free internet access
2. Discounted MYW passes
3. Free Cover charge at Jellyrolls
4. Additional faspasses
5. Shopping discounts at DTD and parks
6. Members Only Fireworks viewing
7. Members Lake access for fishing
8. Seasonal & After 4:00 Passes
9. DDE without AP or Discounted Dining
10. Year round discount golf
11. Random DVC Castle stay drawings
12. Monthly Merry Mixers
13. MK DVC All Nighters
14. DVC Only EMH
15. Non-DVC Resort Discounts
16. Offer Reduced point stays during Low or Higher Vacancy periods

This one might be interesting. A Magic Kingdom after hours, all nighter for DVC members that you can stay until the sun comes up. I know this will mess with nightly cleanup, but it would be cool the see the morning sun at MK. Also plan special events throughout the night. That would make being a member very special, because I don't ever recall this being done before.

OOh. Thats a good one. Sign me up.:thumbsup2

Wow, you guys have come up with some great ideas! I'd love to see discounted MYW passes and MK all-nighters!

I agree the lodging companies should retain their ability to develop their own policies.

We've found common ground on this point.

It's quite clear that many lodging chains think that argument is weak too, because the industry trend is strongly toward total non-smoking hotels. I'm sure those hotels have carefully studied the issues and decided smoking facilities are losers.

I would suggest that those chains to whom you maybe referring to may not in fact cater to the substanial international blend that WDW does (because it offers so much).

I personally don't think guest convenience/inconvenience has much to do with those policy decisions. I think they're driven by the competitive disadvantage smoking facilities face because of increased sick time and insurance costs...to say nothing of the unsafe/unhealthy workplace lawsuit issues. The HR issues of a workplace where smoking is permitted are much more compelling that what you or I like or dislike.

Here I would have to respectfully disagree. Americans are too used to thinking 'what we want is what everyone else should or does want and we know why they should believe it'. The simple fact is that it in this matter the US leads the way in it's attempt to legislate common sense - however, a good part of the world's poplulation is not 'enlightened' to our new found 'wisdom'. TWDC has a long history of attempting to accomendate a diversity of culture (ie/ 'the Disney point'...accpeting alternative lifestyled cast without discrimination). The disadvantage is to close yourself off from a meaningful client base.

Just 1 suggestion.....DVC should be more environmentally conscious and save some trees

One example is that DVC should give you the option of opting out of mailings and having them sent electronically to your inbox.
I do not need them to send me a piece of paper in the mail confirming my reservation. I can look it up on the website, or email it to me.
Can also save serious money on postage.....

The Prophet

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter