If they built a new Titanic replica ship, would you take a cruise on it?

ChrisFL

Disney/Universal Fan and MALE
Current pandemic notwithstanding, there's been rumors for a few years of a company trying to create a new Titanic for people to ride, at least the look and styling of the cabins etc.

Would you want to take a cruise on it?

I'm a big Titanic geek. I have been to The Titanic Museum in Belfast where Titanic was built multiple times, I have been to Cobh which was called Kingston and was the last place Titanic stopped and have done a Titanic walking tour there. I collect books about Titanic and was fascinated by the ship long before the James Cameron film. I have been to multiple Titanic exhibitions. One of my friends had a relative who was on Titanic and survived. She is listed in the Titanic survivor lists.

I would never go on a recreation of Titanic. It just feels wrong to me, to recreate the ship and do the same route. I also would not do a transatlantic sailing on DCL which took a similar route from UK to New York.

I would sail during the summer -- less chance of icebergs. The "replica" would have better sonar to detect icebergs. The new ship would have sufficient lifeboats, as required by maritime law.

Why not? I think it would be great, particularly if they did it in period costumes and used the menus from the original.

Why not? I think it would be great, particularly if they did it in period costumes and used the menus from the original.

Titanic was real, and those people died. Would you recreate the last days of your grandparents and how they died? I guess maybe I have a different viewpoint as I have been to Belfast and walked in the footsteps of those who built the ship and I have been to Cobh, in Cork, and walked in the footsteps of the last passengers to get on the ship.

And yes there is a huge difference between making a film like James Cameron did and building a real life replica of the ship, with passengers in period costumes and doing the exact same route from Southampton, to Cherburg, to Cobh and then to New York.

Titanic was real, and those people died. Would you recreate the last days of your grandparents and how they died? I guess maybe I have a different viewpoint as I have been to Belfast and walked in the footsteps of those who built the ship and I have been to Cobh, in Cork, and walked in the footsteps of the last passengers to get on the ship.

And yes there is a huge difference between making a film like James Cameron did and building a real life replica of the ship, with passengers in period costumes and doing the exact same route from Southampton, to Cherburg, to Cobh and then to New York.

I am just wondering you opinion on historical places that have been rebuilt. For instance the slave quarters at Mount Vernon, Monticello or Colonial Williamsburg to name just a few. I love to go to these historical places and learn about different times. The information learned is valuable while tragic. I would see the Titanic as something similar showing the historical time period. I would love to go on it. It was a beautiful ship with such details.

I am just wondering you opinion on historical places that have been rebuilt. For instance the slave quarters at Mount Vernon, Monticello or Colonial Williamsburg to name just a few. I love to go to these historical places and learn about different times. The information learned is valuable while tragic. I would see the Titanic as something similar showing the historical time period. I would love to go on it. It was a beautiful ship with such details.

I do not know the places you named. But I can put it in context of The Titanic Museum in Belfast. It is a new specially designed building, which has been built on the grounds of the shipyard where Titanic was built. It tells the story of Belfast and ship yard workers in 1912. They use the original blue prints and plans to recreate parts of the ship. They even went as far as getting the original carpet makers and furniture makers to recreate items from the ship. Outside the building you can walk down to the actual slip way where Titanic was.

When I go there, to me its like going to a graveyard and paying respect. Its telling the story and remembering and honoring the forgotten craftspeople who made Titanic possible. Its the real story of the real people, in the actual place where it all happened. Its not someone's modern day sanitized fun version.

I do not know the places you named. But I can put it in context of The Titanic Museum in Belfast. It is a new specially designed building, which has been built on the grounds of the shipyard where Titanic was built. It tells the story of Belfast and ship yard workers in 1912. They use the original blue prints and plans to recreate parts of the ship. They even went as far as getting the original carpet makers and furniture makers to recreate items from the ship. Outside the building you can walk down to the actual slip way where Titanic was.

When I go there, to me its like going to a graveyard and paying respect. Its telling the story and remembering and honoring the forgotten craftspeople who made Titanic possible. Its the real story of the real people, in the actual place where it all happened. Its not someone's modern day sanitized fun version.

The places I am referring to are living historical museums. I see these places as places of education. They have rebuilt the slave quarters of many of the southern plantations. Many of the workers who are historical interpreters have ties to the plantations, meaning their ancestors worked and lived on the plantations. It is a valuable part of history for people to experience and learn from. I love history and all parts of history the good and bad. I would love to get to Europe to see and experience the history there. I see a rebuilt Titanic as a historical museum. I think it would be incredible to see it but that is my opinion. The photos do not do it justice I wish I could see it in person.

I think this has been rumored for over 20 years now and I've wanted to do it the whole time.

The places I am referring to are living historical museums. I see these places as places of education. They have rebuilt the slave quarters of many of the southern plantations. Many of the workers who are historical interpreters have ties to the plantations, meaning their ancestors worked and lived on the plantations. It is a valuable part of history for people to experience and learn from. I love history and all parts of history the good and bad. I would love to get to Europe to see and experience the history there. I see a rebuilt Titanic as a historical museum. I think it would be incredible to see it but that is my opinion. The photos do not do it justice I wish I could see it in person.

Thats exactly what the Titanic Museum in Belfast is. They are closed now due to Covid but this is their website https://titanicbelfast.com/

In Belfast you CAN see much of it in person. For example, they have samples of the carpet which you can touch, they have recreated staterooms and so much more.

Recreating the ship and sailing the same route from Southampton to New York is not honoring the dead, its just a way for rich people to play at being Titanic passengers.

Probably not. Not because of it being the Titanic but because as much as I like the idea of a cruise, I’m afraid I’d be sea suck the entire time.

I do not want to come across as arguing with you. I completely understand your opinion but I may never get to Belfast in my lifetime but I could go to NYC since it is 6 hours drive from my house and could experience the ship. What if it did not sail the same route but was a living museum for people to tour or maybe spend the night on. Many people in the United States will never have the opportunity to travel to Ireland, but if a recreated ship was built they could experience a version here. Here in the United States we have recreated tall ships like the Nina, Pinta ,the Santa Maria, and the Mayflower, that travel around and people can tour the ships. Until I actually went on the Santa Maria and the Mayflower I had no idea how small it really was. I was able to try to understand the experience that those travelers had crossing the Atlantic. Again I am not trying to argue just trying to show another side.

I think we can do both, one doesn't exclude the other. We can have the museum in Belfast and a replica. A replica of the ship will show more the grandeur and the actual size.

And I am all for to have costumes and re-enactments. It helps to keep history alive, especially for younger people. We get more and more visual and learn more and more via experiences. I wouldn't say do a full cruise in costume, but one day/night. And I like the idea of Mrs. Magoo to have a floating museum that can actual travel to different parts of the world.

I do not think it's disrespectful, quite the contrary, by keeping it alive you honour the people involved more. When done correctly.

It's hard to imagine this would turn into anything other than a cruise with costumes. I think it's one thing to have a living museum and give people the chance to walk in that world for a few hours, learning about the Titanic and paying respect to the victims. Recreating an experience when most of the original passengers didn't make it to the destination? I don't think I'd enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter