• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you had an out of town

Had a guest from out of the country, and we
1. Went to Disneyland (of course)
2. La Brea Tarpits/The Grove-Farmers Market
3. Hollywood (he wanted to go a couple of times), and driving around Beverly Hills
4. Whale/dolphin watching off of Dana Point
5. Dodger baseball game

Beyond 50 miles
5. Drive up to Big Bear Lake for the day
6. Overnight visit to San Diego/Visit Old Town/Visit Sea World - he also went driving at night to see the city lights
:thumbsup2 We've been to L.A. several times and never get tired of it but this most recent time we made a point of doing some new things. LOVED the Farmers Market! We also went to Greystone Mansion which was OK but left me realllllly wanting to be able to see inside!

I would mix up the usual tourist traps with some semi-popular places.

Fisherman's Wharf (San Francisco):

2016_1129+Sweater_02.jpg

Conzelman Road - Marin Headlands:

Mount Diablo. The views are really nice and it's a place that a lot of visitors have never heard of.

Love your area and state!
Don't forget the Connecticut River Museum, Goodspeed Opera House, the Seaport and Aquarium, Bishop's Orchard, The Place, and Lobster Shack over in Branford.
:cool:

I could go on....Lenny & Joes (we have 2 near me), Saybrook point/walking over the causeway/ I haven't been to Bishop's in years since we have a farm or 3 locally that we go to instead.

I think the Seaport/Aquarium are over 50 miles from me though.

If it was January/February I could of wrote the Swing Bridge as an attraction with the ice dams. That was quite the site to see. We went to the Salmon River boat loading area to look at it, more space, less people. When I first drove by about a week prior you couldn't get in the parking lot. When we went the parking lot was a mud pit. Pretty amazing though.

Boston
Cape Cod
Plymouth

I have never been to Plymouth. Always wanted to go just to see the rock and then leave, sort of like Key West, went there once years ago just as a day trip from Ft. Myers. Then we were in Marathon last year and drove down, walked the kids to the monument and left.

And sadly I have never been to the Cape. I am so deprived! My dh has no desire to go. Although when we went whale watching out of Gloucester a few yrs ago we were with in swimming distance to Provincetown, not that I would swim with all those whales flapping around.

Yep, sad life I live!

Buchart Gardens (the Victoria Gardens in Epcot Canadian Pavilion are a miniature version)
Hatley Castle ( X-men Mansion Xaiver's school for the gifted)
Maybe a whale watching or High Tea at the Empress Hotel
:teeth: Why aren’t The Bug Zoo and Miniture World on your list? Best day in Victoria ever!! :goodvibes

I could go on....Lenny & Joes (we have 2 near me), Saybrook point/walking over the causeway/ I haven't been to Bishop's in years since we have a farm or 3 locally that we go to instead.

I think the Seaport/Aquarium are over 50 miles from me though.

If it was January/February I could of wrote the Swing Bridge as an attraction with the ice dams. That was quite the site to see. We went to the Salmon River boat loading area to look at it, more space, less people. When I first drove by about a week prior you couldn't get in the parking lot. When we went the parking lot was a mud pit. Pretty amazing though.

We spent 10 summer and 3 winter vacations either in Madison or @ Hammonasset (Yes. I forced the man to go camping off LI Sound for a decade. He's still traumatized but his current therapy is WDW;)) and although we've seen a lot of the state never the swing bridge @ Haddam (?) during winter. Guess we'll have to go back:cool2:.

Maybe I can amend my previous post. There’s always time for an hour or two at popular tourist traps, but I’m thinking of the spectacular places that most tourists might not think to go and/or might be worth several hours.

Conzelman Road in the Marin Headlands.
Point Reyes National Seashore.
Russian River Brewing.

We spent 10 summer and 3 winter vacations either in Madison or @ Hammonasset (Yes. I forced the man to go camping off LI Sound for a decade. He's still traumatized but his current therapy is WDW;)) and although we've seen a lot of the state never the swing bridge @ Haddam (?) during winter. Guess we'll have to go back:cool2:.

We had quite the ice dams this winter. It was on the news, the coast guard cutters were trying to break it up. People came from all over to see it.

At least the sound is a little cleaner this way in CT (I assume you are from NY?). I know when my nieces went to Rocky Neck with me a few years ago, they were used to Fairfield Beach and one said "I can see my feet." Yep it's a bit cleaner!

Have you seen the new lighthouses?

https://lighthousesonmagmile.com/

I have not. Very neat!!!! Sort of like the Cows on Parade about 20 years ago. I think there was something else similar some years back. Not lighthouses or cows, but something else, all over the area.

And then they will sell them at the end of the summer. Thanks for the heads up.

Just checked out the website - I love those!!

I always enjoy stuff like that, and remember the cows coming to Boston, and pianos one time as well:
http://www.streetpianos.com/

A town in the Finger Lakes does big paint pallettes:
http://www.the-leader.com/x1099179657/Palettes-showcase-local-artists-in-Hammondsport

And of course, there were the "InspEARations" Mickey Mouse statues a while back:

8460d1105384424-celebrate-mickey-75-inspearations-statues-mickeygang.jpg

I have not. Very neat!!!! Sort of like the Cows on Parade about 20 years ago. I think there was something else similar some years back. Not lighthouses or cows, but something else, all over the area.

And then they will sell them at the end of the summer. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes -- very similar. Last summer they had 200 K-9 dog statues honoring fallen police officers. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-k9-art-chicago-police-met-20170724-story.html

Same city as Kimblebee so I second her choices, but will add three of my own. While we live in a small prairie city that most people jokingly avoid because of extreme cold in winter and extreme heat in summer, and it’s flat, we have:

1. World class ballet, symphony, theatre and art gallery.
2. Many beautiful beaches, but within fifty miles, Grand Beach.
3. At our zoo, Journey to Churchill, a polar bear exhibit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter