If you had just one tip to give, what would it be?

My favorite tip for any vacation is to buy processing included film, 3 rolls at a time, every weeks for 6 to 8weeks before our trip.

We get them on grocery day and this way we don't feel the pinch of buying all our film at once. When we get back from our trip, the processing is already paid for (we usually don't have money left at this point anyways)

We take tons of pictures...LOTS OF FILM

Plan well enough to what your going to do, but don't be your master.

Avoid the early mob on MK main street, take the train around back and work against the crowd.

Talk to CMs and other visitors while you're waiting, I've gotten good advice and suggestions that helped enjoying the trip.

;)

Use EE and Fastpass. I could not believe how much we saw using EE at the MK, and Fastpass. What I had anticipated would take us up the our afternoon break, actually was accomplished by 10 am. And we were there at a fairly busy time (March 2001)

Anyone worried about bringing a young child - My son was 4 when we went. HE BELIEVES. An older child knows that Mickey Mouse isn't really alive. We stayed in ASMo, Buzz Lightyear building. My son wanted to make sure Buzz had his own bed!! The Mousekeepers arranged his stuffed animals in front of the TV with Clicker in their lap, later on we hear him whispering "Oh, Lucky, I always knew you were alive." You will miss this special magic, if you wait. You will still have the magic, but it is different, more mature.

Plan, Plan, Plan. I also recommend a Character Lunch, at the Land. We loved it. I could go on and on. LOL

Janis

but the best ones are:

1. Bring misting fans if you're going in the summer - I can't believe how intense the heat is! 90 in Florida is a lot different from 90 in Michigan! We used our fans all the time and it reduced the whining factor by a lot!

2. Know what you want to see before you go in the park - which fastpass you are going for first etc. It will prevent the milling around and allow you to see so much more if you know what you want to do.

3. Plan a morning to sleep in after a couple of early morning or late night plans- every couple of days anyway. We didn't do that soon enough and I would take more breaks next time.

4. Use the lists of things people pack in their fanny packs/backpacks. My family was amazed that I always had something useful along when we needed it. Especially moleskin, swiss army knife (that has small scissors), wet wipes, ear plugs (for loud rides), small penlight (for dark rides) and put an id card with a picture of the family in kids fanny pack and info about where you are staying, cell phone #/FRS channel etc. They never needed it but it made me feel better that they had it.

5. Relax and enjoy! Plan, plan, plan but once you are there be flexible and have fun!

Hmmm....

Contrary to just about everyone's advice, don't plan, plan, plan!

WDW is a place for grownups to be kids--what kid ever planned every minute of life? Unless your life will be destroyed if you don't eat in a certain restaurant, don't stress over it. You can always come back!

Wear two pairs of socks, no matter how hot it is, with cotton ones on the inside and cotton or wool ones on the outside--the inner ones wick the water away from your feet when you sweat, and it evaporates from the outer pair. Presto--cool, comfortable, cushioned feet!

Wear a hat (no matter how hot it is) and suntan lotion. Skin cancer is not worth the risks. A white hat is cooler than a dark one.

Too many tips?

Biggest one--relax and have a good time!

Beth

Plan before you go -

We gave the kids their allowance (few months before we go) in Disney Dollars (that way I dont get the buy me something every time I stop - I tell them it's your money buy what you want - BUT - when its gone don't ask for more - this has worked great and the kids learn how to budget)

We also buy the Birmbaum book and have the kids pick three rides that they MUST ride to make the trip complete (fifteen rides tolal) and we make sure we hit those rides (lines and all). We tell the kids any more than the wish rides is a bonus and anything we miss we'll catch the next time were here - this seems to work out pretty good -

most days we leave the park early to swim, ride bikes, wander, or nap

Our last tradition is to eat one family sit down meal a day when we can discuss our favorite part of the trip or what we are planning on doing next - it gives one healthy meal and makes us slow down and spend time together.

Last - don't be a parent who DRAGS kids around telling them "I spent good money - you better be having fun"

slow down and have fun - listen to the kids - sometimes they've just had enough - even if you havent

I haven't waded through all of these tips...but we prefer to go to Epcot just one morning and then go back a couple of evenings about 5:00. It's such a big park with a lot of walking and by that time in the evening it's starting to cool off and the crowds have thinned out. We just prefer to enjoy Epcot in small bites. And if you have a car and are staying on-site, park at the Beach Club and enter at International Gateway for a shortcut to World Showcase.

BEFORE YOUR TRIP, BUY A THERMAL BOTTLE HOLDER WITH STRAP FOR EACH OF YOU. SEMI-FREEZE THE DRINK (IF POSSIBLE) OR ADD ICE (PUT THE ICE IN THE WATER BEFORE YOU FILL THE BOTTLE) BEFORE YOU GO OFF TO THE PARKS. THE HEAT MAKES YOU THIRSTY WALKING AROUND ALL DAY AND WITHOUT ONE YOU ARE GOING TO END UP SPENDING $2.00+ FOR AN "I'M DYING FOR A DRINK" WATER OR SODA. YOU CAN FILL UP AT THE FOUNTAINS TOO-EVEN FOR SPLASHING YOURSELF OFF WHILE STANDING IN THE SUN. BRING BOXED DRINKS FOR THE KIDS!

My tip would be when anyone starts to meltdown - step back and rethink then remember. I saw so many families yelling at one another. My brother even copped a horrible attitude for 6 hours during my last trip. Remember you're in the best place on the planet and probably with your most beloveds. The lines, the Sun and heat can put you in serious meltdown so go find a nice place to sit down, rest and regroup. Count to 1000, start again and remember. ;)

Save all of your receipts from all the odd little items you buy before your trip for "just in case" items. Like sunburn relief spray, the extra dozen ponchos you didn't wear, the immodium AD pills not used...

Jennypetal

1) Use antibacterial wipes on the plane before you eat and on the seat handles etc. (tons of germs!).
2) Don't share drinks (all of you are more likely to get sick).
3) Buy each of you a Brita bottle (summer only) and drink LOTS of water. Refresh with ice at every meal.
4) Don't be afraid to break up into groups for short periods. Different folks want different things. If you do, bring the FRS radios.
5) That said, find what each member of your family wants the most at each park. Get that list down to the 3-4 things you really want to see!
6) Bring a great attitude!

What great tips! The two things that made our last trip so much nicer than the one before, was using TIFFANY!! What a wonderfully relaxing way to begin AND end your vacation. The other thing was taking advantage of having things shipped back to our room (if you're staying onsite). We also took advantage of having some of the bigger items shipped home. At the little gift shop in The Land pavillion, I found some adorable (and AFFORDABLE!) character stepping stones. Naturally, they were too big and heavy to take home on the plane, so for just 8.95 they had all three shipped home. They were waiting for us when we got home. :)

Two more: Use the two way radios, and most of all: If you possibly can, stay on site! :)

Oooh! I just thought of another one that helped our son! We pulled him out of school for last year's trip. We saw to it, that all two weeks worth of school work was DONE before we ever left. It made coming back to school 2 weeks later, so much easier for him.

What great tips, everyone! Thanks so much for sharing. Does anyone else have a piece of advice for a new family travelling to WDW?

MY tip is..... if your husband is going to walk around filming the world, don't walk in front of him! We have so much footage of my "back end" I could just scream every time we watch it! Needless to say, I didn't know at the time or else.........! lol (we had 4 children and inlaws with us also) Just remember, you're there to have a good time so roll with the punches, and just do what you feel like doing at the moment.:D

1) Use the send-away film developers. Several weeks before your trip, call Mystic Photo or the like and request a dozen envelopes. They pre-fill in your name, address, and phone number for you. Then, as you use up the film, just pop it into the postage paid envelope and send it off! That way you won't have to worry about the film getting exposed at the airport or losing the film AND you'll have part of your vacation pictures waiting for you when you get home.

2) Don't forget fanny packs for the kids. They have a place to put their sunglasses and hat -- not to mention their drinks and Game Boys, which are great for long lines.

My main tip is to STAY ONSITE!! We had never done this in all of our years coming to WDW until they offered a special this last May. You would not believe how much of a difference it really makes. Spend a tad more to stay- we have now stayed at AsMu 2 times and have a 3rd planned. It is nothing fancy but it is themed, and it is affordable. We love it.

The other tip is don EE. Of course because we had never stayed onsite we had never been able to do this. Amazing how much you can do in the extra 1 or 1 1/2 hours before it opens to the public. I guess that his tip goes hand in hand with the first one!!

Third- enjoy- you are so lucky to be in the World and not at home doning laundry, paying BILLS, or at work......enough said!!

Just back from a trip w/ 2 of my sisters and their dh, ds and dd, 10 of us total.

Most important thing, take the time to enjoy being with each other! Realize it's a vacation with the family and that's what's most important. Just walking from one ride to another can be fun if YOU make it fun! WDW will always be there and you sure aren't going to see everything. But it will be in Orlando and your family will be going home with you; use this time to strengthen that family bond.

I'm proud to say that after 10 days together, we all still like each other had had no meltdowns or arguements. (And we normally can't grill hotdogs without a loud "discussion"!:D )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter