If You Shop at Goodwill…

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
Have prices gone up where you are?
I shop at Goodwill occasionally, and was very surprised at the prices. $7 for tops, $8 for jeans, even $8 for T-shirts. I could hardly believe it. I did buy a couple work shirts for DH, one was new with tags. And I bought a pair of Talbot jeans for myself. But no way was a spending $8 on USED T-shirts. And, they no longer have bags for your purchases! I asked about that and was told they discontinued bags more than a year ago. Not sure that’s true, as I’ve been there more than once in the past year. Just seems like the higher prices, on DONATED things, is pure greed. Won’t be going back. There are local thrift shops that will now get all my business. One donates profits to charities, the other employs mentally and physically challenged people and the profits go to monthly excursions for them.

Yes! I thrift a lot and ive noticed that at a majority of the stores i go to, not just goodwill... even some of the local non profit and religious based stores, all the prices have gone up AND they are giving less coupons or discount days. Im not going to spend $10 on a used dress if I can get a new one from Ross for $12.

Goodwill is its own beast, and i understand that the independent stores probably have increased expenses due to inflation, but youre right... all their inventory is FREE!

Goodwill got really slammed with junk because of Covid. People took their forced time at home to clean up and rather than take stuff to the dump, they took it all to Goodwill.

As a result Goodwill's expenses rose. They had to hire additional employees to sort the donated junk.

Goodwill is a highly rated charity. They are very open with their accounting and charity metrics. Since they are a non profit, the profit they make from their stores goes primarily to community programs like job training, placement services, and classes for people who have disabilities or are otherwise challenged in finding traditional employment

I love a good thrift find, so I do go pretty often on my lunch breaks or while I am waiting for my daughter's sports practices. But I totally agree prices have risen, and I am more choosy with what I purchase.

I've lost a considerable amount of weight this year and dropped 4 pants sizes, and ultimately used Goodwill to replenish my closet of jeans/pants during this time. It wasnt as inexpensive as it once was, but it was definitely cheaper than buying new jeans every month at a new store.

I mainly stick with browsing for books (ours have all remained $.99 locally) and pants/bottoms. I look for brands that I know have good resale value and that I like. I also look for the tag colors that are on sale for the week.

My store still gives bags, but when we vacationed in Jekyll Island this summer and I made a GW stop, my items were folded up and handed to me; I was surprised but rolled with it.

I haven't donated or shopped at a Goodwill store in over a decade.

Once I looked up their IRS 990 and saw the local CEO making a $300,000 salary on a rough $12 million dollar budget, but the disappointment was the next highest paid employee was earning half of what the CEO was. To make matters worse the CEO saw a $100,000 increase or bonus, but none of the top level management saw any increase year to year.

While this is a local GW, I encourage you to check your local GW before you donate or do business.

Last edited:

I haven't donated or shopped at a Goodwill store in over a decade.

Once I looked up their IRS 900 and saw the local CEO making a $300,000 salary on a rough $12 million dollar budget, but the disappointment was the next highest paid employee was earning half of what the CEO was. To make matters worse the CEO saw a $100,000 increase or bonus, but none of the top level management saw any increase year to year.

While this is a local GW, I encourage you to check your local GW before you donate or do business.
And then they ask you if you want to "round up" to help "the program". It's insanity.

Our local thrift stores have always been on the higher side compared to other places. They're always packed, though so I guess they are doing something right. I've quit going for the most part, I do better for clothing at Ross or TJ Maxx unless it's a REALLY expensive item. I don't mind paying $5 for a used hoodie that's $60 new, but I do mind $5 for a Wal-mart brand item with the $4.99 clearance tag still on it.

Of course, the $5 price was several years ago. DH and I stopped by one of the stores last weekend looking for something specific, I checked out the young men's clothes for youngest DS while we were there - hoodies were around $20 regardless of brand or condition, t-shirts were around $10, pants $10-15. Left without buying anything.

I quit shopping at Goodwill. We live in a more affluent area, and a lot of people donate to a local thrift store that supports women of abuse. I have found some great brand name items for my boys and husband there. I quit selling on FB marketplace and now just donate the boys' brand name items they have outgrown to this organization. I would rather give back than get the little money I would make.

I know sometimes you can find "steals" at thrift stores like Goodwill but when you find it being sold for more than the tag that is still on the item it sours the whole thing.

I think Goodwill has been creeping up in price though over the years not just because people offloaded things during the pandemic.

I haven't been to the local Goodwill store in about 3 months. Last time I went, pants were $6.74. Tops were like $7.35. Weird prices. The T-shirts always seem to be a rip off. I mean I got relatively new pants in there for under $7 and a ratty looking T-shirt I thought had no business being donated was close to $5.

I hadn't noticed this at the Salvation Army, and I don't go to the Goodwill often. However, our Goodwill, at least, has a large selection of men's suits and separates. It's been very handy for my growing sons--they might need a suit, but haven't stopped growing. For an item like that--and, especially, with an event such as a wedding or funeral--the price going from, say $10 to $15 is still very reasonable to me. We've had a few such events over the past few years.

That said, for everyday wear, I'm not going to spend that much, especially for used clothing.

Our local thrift stores have always been on the higher side compared to other places. They're always packed, though so I guess they are doing something right. I've quit going for the most part, I do better for clothing at Ross or TJ Maxx unless it's a REALLY expensive item. I don't mind paying $5 for a used hoodie that's $60 new, but I do mind $5 for a Wal-mart brand item with the $4.99 clearance tag still on it.

Of course, the $5 price was several years ago. DH and I stopped by one of the stores last weekend looking for something specific, I checked out the young men's clothes for youngest DS while we were there - hoodies were around $20 regardless of brand or condition, t-shirts were around $10, pants $10-15. Left without buying anything.

i do really well at TJMaxx and Marshall’s for my family‘s regular clothes too and its Just easier than thrifting.
I hadn't noticed this at the Salvation Army, and I don't go to the Goodwill often. However, our Goodwill, at least, has a large selection of men's suits and separates. It's been very handy for my growing sons--they might need a suit, but haven't stopped growing. For an item like that--and, especially, with an event such as a wedding or funeral--the price going from, say $10 to $15 is still very reasonable to me. We've had a few such events over the past few years.

That said, for everyday wear, I'm not going to spend that much, especially for used clothing.
The Salvation Army is my go to for my boys when they need suits! They’re usually barely worn and much cheaper than new. We get clothes for Halloween costumes there too.

Just because inventory is “free” doesn’t mean their costs don’t increase. They still pay employees who I would hope get raises every year. Rent for buildings may increase, utility costs, etc.

I put free in quotes above because it takes a lot to get a decent inventory in some stores. I worked in a rural location and probably only 10% of our inventory came from local donations (and more than half of what we got was literal garbage and got tossed), so the majority of our inventory was shipped in from other locations. That is not free inventory.

Just because inventory is “free” doesn’t mean their costs don’t increase. They still pay employees who I would hope get raises every year. Rent for buildings may increase, utility costs, etc.

I put free in quotes above because it takes a lot to get a decent inventory in some stores. I worked in a rural location and probably only 10% of our inventory came from local donations (and more than half of what we got was literal garbage and got tossed), so the majority of our inventory was shipped in from other locations. That is not free inventory.
Doesn't matter. It's still too much for what it is.

Random thoughts:
- I was going to bring up the point that someone made late in this thread: Just because they get their stuff donated doesn't mean it's free to sell it. They have to house the things, pay staff to sort and sell, keep the electricity on. Even keeping the parking lot maintained costs money.
- The mentally disabled students in our high school have "a job" a couple days a week sorting out clothing for Goodwill. That's free labor for Goodwill, though they need a lot of supervision.
- Our tee-shirts costs $3.99 and dress shirts are $4.99 -- I find that a fair price.

I went there recently to find some cheap stuff for Halloween dummies/scarecrows. Much pricier Indeed. They also chased a guy out of there for stealing the clothes via trying them on, a repeat offender, they said.

Stealing from Goodwill is janky, and high prices are no excuse. There’s my PSA for the day. Stay tuned tomorrow when I discuss board etiquette.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter