If you were considering the Christmas After Hours before pricing came out, are you still going?

If you were considering the Christmas party before pricing came out, are you still going?

• Still going

Votes: 110 33.1%
  • Was going to, but have changed my mind

Votes: 182 54.8%
  • On the fence / Wait and see

Votes: 40 12.0%

• Total voters
We rescheduled our Universal trip from February to November and our hope was that Disney would have a party during our trip so we could get some Disney in this year. We are definitely still planning on going, have our fingers crossed we can get tickets (our trip is Nov 6-13).

We are still going. Bought tickets yesterday. $249 each. My knee jerk reaction when I saw the price was no. . . .but after I thought about it - I pitched it to my children that we could go to it, and cut our trip short one day, or skip it. We decided being Christmas, our odds of hitting rides at MK were greater with the after hours event.

So, I bought the tickets, and cut one day off our trip. In the end taking off a day at the resort (WL), one day park ticket and a day of meals I actually came out ahead money wise.

Last edited:
Also going...this is my first extended trip to Disney as an adult (postponed from March), plus it's during my SO's birthday week and I feel this is something we can really enjoy together. Did the family thing in the early 80's when I was very young for a week and have had park days here and there over the years, and planning for a quick trip over the 50th anniversary weekend, but haven't had the whole packed seven days like this before where I'm in the driver's seat for planning. I'm trying to convince my SO that we may not need the park day the day of our tickets (and thus saving us a bit) since we can get up to 6 hours of enjoyment...was pleasantly surprised at all a group of us got done on a day at MK earlier this summer for a bachelorette party in about the same timespan, and that also included a sit-down meal.

I don’t really understand the “we got pushed to universal” comments. A single day ticket to universal when I checked recently for a day in January I might go was over $200. Universal isn’t cheaper than Disney…

but anyway… what I do feel is that folks, including myself, who are going to the Christmas party have had to make cuts elsewhere. I cut a day from my tickets and I am just doing the party that day now.. and I dropped my park hopper. Could possible add my hopper back but won’t decide until I’m there.

also..when I think of this in relation to the after hours being offered to guests at delux.. considering the price difference per night value like pop where I’m staying and a deluxe it’s comparable to the cost of the party. For myself I could have added a night at a delux resort instead of the party and had one night of the after hours that’s only 9-11.. compared to staying value and buying a Christmas ticket for “4 hours” which is really 6 hours cause you get in a 7..

Pushed to Universal because you can get a deluxe hotel with Unlimited Express Pass for less than the price of Disney Deluxe and Disney you’re waiting in long lines. You can get an annual pass at Universal for a fraction of the price of Disney Annual Pass (when offered). We bought Universal annual passes used for 2 trips at the same cost of Disney 3 day ticket (no park hopper) in 2019. I love Disney (bought DVC this year), but Universal is cheaper, and I’m starting to think a better value. Of course value is completely subjective.

Still going, but my trip is an adult girls' trip and I only have to buy one ticket. We specifically want to experience holiday atmosphere/events at WDW, so we were really hoping there would be something for Christmas this year (I went in November before, but skipped the party since my daughter was little). We still had a bit of dismay and reevaluated when the prices were released, but it was easier to make the decision to still go when you're not looking at the cost for a family or worried about value for kids.

When we first planned the trip we thought about staying deluxe since it would be less expensive splitting the cost, but ultimately decided on a moderate figuring the money saved could be used elsewhere on the trip. Turns out one of the places we're using it is Christmas After Hours tickets....

Last edited:
I am still going hopefully. I bought the ticket after being on hold for over 90 minutes. Then an hour later recieved a text that I got a job that I interviewed with yesterday so not sure I can still go, I did ask when buying the ticket that if I needed to I could change it to a park ticket for a later date. It probably will be two tickets lol. But I have never been to the Christmas party and I have been to the Halloween one many times so I wanted to see something new.

When I've gotten a new job and already have a trip planned I just tell them about that right then (like before I start). It has never been an issue whatsoever. Good luck!

Well, after last night’s good Boo Bash reviews, and the imminent announcement of paid fastpass, I hopped off the fence and bought a ticket. So much for willpower. :rolleyes2

DVMAH will replace my traditional signature meal on the last night of the trip - and probably a couple of paid fastpasses at MK. Disney Math says that between DVMAH and Extended Evening Hours, I should be set for rides at MK. Still need to shave another $50 out of the budget somewhere - probably will pack my own wine and snacks for the room. Can’t trust myself to forego souvenirs at Christmas time, haha!

Very glad I was only purchasing one ticket. What a difficult decision that must be for families!

We are still going. Bought tickets yesterday. $249 each. My knee jerk reaction when I saw the price was no. . . .but after I thought about it - I pitched it to my children that we could go to it, and cut our trip short one day, or skip it. We decided being Christmas, our odds of hitting rides at MK were greater with the after hours event.

So, I bought the tickets, and cut one day off our trip. In the end taking off a day at the resort (WL), one day park ticket and a day of meals I actually came out ahead money wise.

Hopefully this is the case with everyone who decides to go this route and drop a day. It will be a huge failure on Disney's part. One less day at a resort, parks and merchandise revenue. Congrats Disney! Would be great if nobody goes and show Disney who really needs who in this world.

Pushed to Universal because you can get a deluxe hotel with Unlimited Express Pass for less than the price of Disney Deluxe and Disney you’re waiting in long lines. You can get an annual pass at Universal for a fraction of the price of Disney Annual Pass (when offered). We bought Universal annual passes used for 2 trips at the same cost of Disney 3 day ticket (no park hopper) in 2019. I love Disney (bought DVC this year), but Universal is cheaper, and I’m starting to think a better value. Of course value is completely subjective.
That makes sense. We did do one day at universal last fall and we struggled with motion sickness after 3-4 of the screen rides so it’s not for us but what you wrote makes sense.

We are still going. We did After Hours at MK a few years ago, and it was amazing! My kids still talk about it. My kids are now 13 and 18, so the later hours are no biggie for us, but I'm not sure if I had littles it would work. We've never done the Christmas party before so looking forward to this!

I was leaning towards no for this event when it was first announced just because we are a family of 5. That is a lot of extra money for our short trip. However, I love Xmas and Disney Xmas decor so I had it in the back of my mind if pricing wasn’t horrible I’d consider it. Maybe just DD16 and myself.
No way will I be paying over $200 for this. I do love the parade and fireworks but will watch the fireworks from our MK resort.

If these events stay in the future the only way we might do them is if we are in Fl for a “Disney” stay. Like we are down for Universal or RunDisney and don’t have park tickets maybe we’d add this on.

I do feel like I need to pick and choose where the massive amounts of money I spend on my trips goes. At this point Disney will get this money out of me somehow. Whether they bring back dessert parties or pay for fast pass somehow the $1000 I just saved will end up in Disney’s hands.

I had planned on going in December, but when I saw it would be $209/pp, they got a huge Heck No. I'm going to DL next month and for less than $200/pp I got Oogie Boogie Bash tickets AND tickets for the dessert party with parade view seating. I'd have to carry home a case of cookies, Aquafina and Coke and eat my weight in Mickey Bars and popcorn to justify that ticket cost.

Hard no. I paid $104 for an AP ticket in early December of 2019. $229 for the same day in 2021, and 2 hours less, with no Character M&G and it sounds like no live shows.

So long as people continue to pay, they'll keep jacking up the prices, but I don't have to give them my $$$.

Yep

Universal is cheaper, and I’m starting to think a better value. Of course value is completely subjective.
I know it's not Universal. but Orlando Informer has after hours parties where you get admission to both IOA and US and all you can eat food and non-alcoholic beverages for basically the same cost as the WDW party. I'm still kicking myself that tickets sold out for their December party when I'm in Orlando

Thank you for the detailed report and glad you had such a nice trip! We have a very similar trip planned - Aug 14-18 at Portofino for my family of 5; but I've been really worried about the COVID numbers in Orlando and we're thinking about cancelling. My two youngest are too young to be vaccinated, and I worry about putting them into close quarters with other guests who are unmasked and potentially infected. I'm wondering if you could make a guesstimate as to what percentage of guests were wearing masks indoors vs. maskless guests. Were most guests maskless?
I know it's not Universal. but Orlando Informer has after hours parties where you get admission to both IOA and US and all you can eat food and non-alcoholic beverages for basically the same cost as the WDW party. I'm still kicking myself that tickets sold out for their December party when I'm in Orlando

DD16 and I will be attending our first Orlando Informer event in December. Can’t wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter