Iger's return getting extended?

Do you think that, because of the current talent crisis (WGA strike, the pending SAG strike), the board at Disney will force Bob Iger to stay as the CEO for another two or three more years? Someone at the WDWMagic forums made a comment about that.
Maybe. There would be a lot of heat from Wall Street if it happened, though. "Succession" has to be arranged - no one is immortal and he was criticized for not doing a good job at the end of his last tenure.

No, I don't think that will have any impact. There are always impending challenges in the business world. The trick is not to let them paralyze you.

Maybe. I read yesterday they’re looking to appoint and transition a new CFO. Looking for a new CEO at the same time is tough.
Interesting thought. Perhaps its important to get the new CEO first so that they can select a CFO that they are comfortable working with.

Maybe. I read yesterday they’re looking to appoint and transition a new CFO. Looking for a new CEO at the same time is tough.
Good point, when it was announced that Christine McCarthy was taking time off for some type of illness (FMLA), I wondered if she would return when her leave was over.

Last edited:
He's definitely staying more than two now. No way he leaves DIS with a new CEO and CFO.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...ob-iger-stays-as-ceo-loop-capital/ar-AA1cDBKT

The surprising departure of Walt Disney (NYSE:DIS) CFO Christine McCarthy due to family health issues could result in Bob Iger staying on as CEO, investment firm Loop Capital said on Friday.

Analyst Alan Gould, who has a buy rating and a per-share price target of $120 on Disney (DIS) shares, said he believes the company's board of directors could ask Iger to stay on as CEO after his contract expires in 2024.

"The Board is now in a position where it will be performing both CFO and CEO searches almost simultaneously," Gould wrote in an investor note, while adding that the company is also dealing with "one of the most disruptive periods" in the history of the company and the media and entertainment industry in general.

"Given this unexpected change, we speculate whether the Board might ask Mr. Iger to remain CEO for an additional year," Gould added.

Iger returned to Disney (DIS) in November 2022 after having stewarded the company for 15 years, taking over for his handpicked successor, Bob Chapek. At the time, Iger signed a contract for two years and said he would look for a long-term successor to replace him as CEO.

In conjunction with the departure of McCarthy, Gould lowered his estimates for Disney's fiscal 2023 and 2024 earnings per share.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...ob-iger-stays-as-ceo-loop-capital/ar-AA1cDBKT

The surprising departure of Walt Disney (NYSE:DIS) CFO Christine McCarthy due to family health issues could result in Bob Iger staying on as CEO, investment firm Loop Capital said on Friday.

Analyst Alan Gould, who has a buy rating and a per-share price target of $120 on Disney (DIS) shares, said he believes the company's board of directors could ask Iger to stay on as CEO after his contract expires in 2024.

"The Board is now in a position where it will be performing both CFO and CEO searches almost simultaneously," Gould wrote in an investor note, while adding that the company is also dealing with "one of the most disruptive periods" in the history of the company and the media and entertainment industry in general.

"Given this unexpected change, we speculate whether the Board might ask Mr. Iger to remain CEO for an additional year," Gould added.

Iger returned to Disney (DIS) in November 2022 after having stewarded the company for 15 years, taking over for his handpicked successor, Bob Chapek. At the time, Iger signed a contract for two years and said he would look for a long-term successor to replace him as CEO.

In conjunction with the departure of McCarthy, Gould lowered his estimates for Disney's fiscal 2023 and 2024 earnings per share.
Don’t trust analysts.

I think before he goes he will want to do one last big change to cement his legacy.. I don't think Shanghai has been the marker he was hoping to put down so I can see another gate coming

If the board decides to extend his contract based on how things are going at Disney? Things are not good right now. Disney is losing money like crazy and then they have to find billions to buy HULU. Disney stock is very, very, very low. Movies, should we even talk how much they are losing on movies? Indy 5 probably going to lose hundreds of millions of dollars. Now Iger hasn’t been CEO for the last couple of years, but he did remain in power for a year with Chapek. So a lot of these failures have been with auger’s oversight. Chapek is not to blame for everything. As an owner of some Disney stock, I’m not happy.

Last edited:
The company overall is still very profitable. Movies and streaming are losing at the moment but parks, linear TV, and ESPN are making more than enough to cover those losses and put some money in the bank to eventually use for Hulu.
Also they could just sell ESPN and get a ridiculous sum of money. Disney in general is not hindering money though I do agree with you in certain sectors they’re losing. They need to figure movies out. Streaming is what it is, but movies is supposed to be a bread and butter for Disney.

Also to the original point Iger will definitely be around for more than his originally planned time. Especially with all the executive changes going on right now

Also to the original point Iger will definitely be around for more than his originally planned time. Especially with all the executive changes going on right now

Not sure if it has any bearing on it but I wonder if the company wants him to be around for the duration of everything involving CFTOD and Disney as well.

Disney I know suggested that trial commence and be completed sometime next year while those named in the suit want it to happen in 2025. So whatever the judge decides on that timeline may have an impact as well.

Not sure if it has any bearing on it but I wonder if the company wants him to be around for the duration of everything involving CFTOD and Disney as well.
That would be a good idea, since he's been handling that situation well.

But even aside from that issue, I've felt that he would probably need to stay longer than two years to clean house. Now with Disney needing a new CFO it's going to take even longer to put things in order.

Perhaps the board will extend his contract. Or perhaps they will offer him a "consulting" role to advise the successor as needed.
I think before he goes he will want to do one last big change to cement his legacy.. I don't think Shanghai has been the marker he was hoping to put down so I can see another gate coming
I don't think so. His legacy is pretty good as is. I seriously doubt adding another gate is in the cards for the US parks. Perhaps in Paris?
Disney is losing money like crazy and then they have to find billions to buy HULU.
Ummm, no Disney is not losing money like crazy. They are actually profitable. Finding money to buy Hulu isn't a problem for a company of that size - if they even decide they want to buy Hulu.
I don't think the lawsuit has anything to do with his tenure. Even so, he can probably be called to testify regardless of his employment status. I'm sure at some point that Bob Paycheck will get called to testify in those cases.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter