"I'm beginning to think you are selling drugs" UPDATE: THE END

Enjoyed it as always. DD can't wait for the GF to open. She definitely has 1st class tastes. Oh, and one other thing.

:santa: Merry Christmas.

Lisa!

I am late to the TR, but I loved every page of it (even the ones I couldn't QUITE follow :goodvibes)!

Thanks for posting. Love your pics!

You've inspired me to write a TR.

I just made a MINOR miscalculation by shooting in RAW when the only computer I have access to right now is my work computer..I filled the HD on this puppy not even 1/4 way through...OOPS!

And a lovely summer vacation - wait! I don't know if you decided on the long one yet, do I? :confused3 Did you?

Going to go for the one long trip this summer --- one set of airfare and a real break from work -- decided it is a win-win:thumbsup2

Can't wait to hear about your next adventure -- thanks again for the share:woohoo:

One - you do know that your home state lies NORTH of Toronto, right? I'm referring to the great Minnesota.

Two - nice F&W!!!!!!!!!! A TR!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah. It's like an early Christmas trip for me! KAT4DISNEY talent all over the place. Outstanding :thumbsup2;););):lovestruc.

Two and a half - thank goodness on the battery charger. I SO look forward to all those beautiful exquisite shots (KAT4DISNEY is my photo idol people - I dream of her shots!!!)

Three - funny MN story. Was it Kris Humpfries? :rotfl2: Do you even know who that is?

Four - no I never cared about wide or fisheye UNTIL you ruined that for me by posting yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drat you. (Kathy - little ol' me got 3rd in Waterworks - short one - straight to finals - but :dance3: for little ol' point and shoot me!!!!)

Five - Kathy, I almost said "but it has no viewfinder!!!!!!!!!!!!" :sad2: and then I find your posts/pictures and you educate me with the EXTERNAL optical viewfinder. I HAD NO IDEA such a thing existed or about these type of cameras. I have a question - well two. Ready? Don't tell me this is a stupid one, okay? I know nada beyond P and S. THat exernal VF - can it see telephoto change?

And what do you think of the Canon Rebel vs. these cameras? I know. I know. Not a short answer. I know Kathy. :flower3: And I know I have to hold them. And I'm worried about not enough telephoto on a lens that I won't remove.

Just so you know, I didn't fall off the face of the earth. I decided I had to take a little jaunt down here for a Christmas fix....

p950818933-3.jpg

and am now getting back to the important stuff!! I hope you haven't disappeared already. Enjoyed the rest of the TR and the pics!!! Sad it's over.

Toronto, south of MN. Hmmmmm - what would Bob and Doug McKenzie say about that? Eh??? So I checked and the latitude of where I grew up is 44.528N and Toronto is reported at 43.652N so yes, I will remove that label from Toronto and for myself claim to hailing from the great white north, by approx 45 or so miles. :rotfl: (But your still north of Vegas and Reno! ;))

Kris Humphries?????

JK - of course I know who Kris Kardashian - er, Humphries is but it was not him that I met on the bus. :eek: I didn't look for cameras though to make certain!!!

Now, other cameras. The Canon rebels are good. I haven't looked much at the newest ones after I settled on the sony's but you really can't go wrong with any of the new DSLR's. They are larger and heavier than the NEX but of course have the built in view finders and flash so they are always there and not something you have to think about bringing along. The NEX does panoramas - do the Rebels? I don't think they do but your P&S does great at them so maybe you don't want it on a new camera. Surprisingly I really didn't miss having a viewfinder for most shots - mostly just when the subject was moving. I was surprised b/c I'm one that always used the viewfinder on a P&S and wouldn't buy one without it. The NEX external view finder is pretty cool and will show you the changes in telephoto, wide angle etc. It shows you exposure, white balance and all of that too. Bad thing is it's an expensive little add on. :sad2:

Did you know this....the Canon rebels actually have a smaller sensor than the Sony NEX. Not enough to matter but there you go. Bigger camera, smaller sensor. :rolleyes1

If size of the camera isn't a concern and you want a viewfinder then from what you've said I'd guess a traditional DSLR like the Rebel line is going to make you happier to use. The Sony equivalent would be the A35 or A55 which I know more about. Slightly different with a fixed mirror and electronic viewfinder (built in) but there are pluses and minuses to that. I've used the A55 for almost a year before getting my new baby NEX and liked it a lot. It hasn't been retired either - at least not until I decide if the NEX could cover all situations for me. It's pretty close but I need to try more action and I think I'll probably need to keep a DSLR around for that.

But I skipped 4. I know what I voted for. :flower3:

Once again loved the TR looking for more in the future! Love the rambling and scary part I followed all the way through and never seemed confused!:laughing:

Have a safe and happy holiday season! :santa: - That goes for everyone following your TR. I think the interaction was great in your TR and we all felt a part of your journey - thank you.:thumbsup2

It's Christmas Eve. Well it's the day - you know what I mean. :goodvibesI LOVE Christmas Eve. :love: More than the next day. Last year I had the most magical time on the 24th - a perfect WDW night. Perfection. Kona to MK for Wishes to Epcot for EMH.

Better stop. STILL thinking/dreaming/writing about that darn trip.:rotfl2: It was freezing and I still loved it. And it's killing me to look at the lovely forecast this year. ;) Oh well.

I will get to NYC on this break. I'm determined. Another heavenly stop. Especially at Christmas.

Oh, and one other thing.

:santa: Merry Christmas.

I didn't quite catch it at first. :rotfl2: And then when I did I laughed and laughed. Did it hurt you? :lmao::rotfl:

Merry Christmas CJ - I can only imagine what a blessed Christmas this must be after last year.

Not to mention better food. :goodvibes

Lisa!

I am late to the TR, but I loved every page of it (even the ones I couldn't QUITE follow :goodvibes)!

Thanks for posting. Love your pics!

You've inspired me to write a TR.

I just made a MINOR miscalculation by shooting in RAW when the only computer I have access to right now is my work computer..I filled the HD on this puppy not even 1/4 way through...OOPS!

Hi!:goodvibes

Thanks DopeysGal82 - shooting in RAW - we have a photographer in the house. :dance3: I'm so inept with anything remotely technical. I would be OOPS every minute. Will be definitely looking for that TR.

I was in Queens recently - yelling at a cabbie. :goodvibes

Thanks for coming over. It's too bad you didn't join us all - you sound fun. I like fun. :laughing:

Going to go for the one long trip this summer --- one set of airfare and a real break from work -- decided it is a win-win:thumbsup2

Can't wait to hear about your next adventure -- thanks again for the share:woohoo:

Smart. Truly. Good choice.

I have been doing tons of five/six days trip since buying in 2005. I did a ten day last Christmas - and I loved it. So me too. I can feel a change in my bookings. And as you said AIRFARE. :scared1: It's really made a leap lately.

As for the trip -can't wait to hear all about it.

Thanks for keeping me company. :goodvibes Have a wonderful holiday.

Just so you know, I didn't fall off the face of the earth. I decided I had to take a little jaunt down here for a Christmas fix....

p950818933-3.jpg

Oh LUCKY!!!!!!!! TR please.

So I checked and the latitude of where I grew up is 44.528N and Toronto is reported at 43.652N

OMG. The bold. :rotfl2:

It read like I hired some elves and got them to push Toronto south for a day or two. Push. Push. Push I say. :lmao: A thousand dollars for every degree you get it south of Minnesota. :rotfl2:

So funny.

You should put in Point Pelee, ON and see how many of your beautiful states lie north of there. It lines up with Northern California. What a fun game. :woohoo:

Now, other cameras. The Canon rebels are good. I haven't looked much at the newest ones after I settled on the sony's but you really can't go wrong with any of the new DSLR's. They are larger and heavier than the NEX but of course have the built in view finders and flash so they are always there and not something you have to think about bringing along. The NEX does panoramas - do the Rebels? I don't think they do but your P&S does great at them so maybe you don't want it on a new camera. Surprisingly I really didn't miss having a viewfinder for most shots - mostly just when the subject was moving. I was surprised b/c I'm one that always used the viewfinder on a P&S and wouldn't buy one without it. The NEX external view finder is pretty cool and will show you the changes in telephoto, wide angle etc. It shows you exposure, white balance and all of that too. Bad thing is it's an expensive little add on.

Did you know this....the Canon rebels actually have a smaller sensor than the Sony NEX. Not enough to matter but there you go. Bigger camera, smaller sensor.

If size of the camera isn't a concern and you want a viewfinder then from what you've said I'd guess a traditional DSLR like the Rebel line is going to make you happier to use. The Sony equivalent would be the A35 or A55 which I know more about. Slightly different with a fixed mirror and electronic viewfinder (built in) but there are pluses and minuses to that. I've used the A55 for almost a year before getting my new baby NEX and liked it a lot. It hasn't been retired either - at least not until I decide if the NEX could cover all situations for me. It's pretty close but I need to try more action and I think I'll probably need to keep a DSLR around for that.

Thanks so much Kathy. That helps. I have to have the viewfinder. Are you ready? My eyes barely open in the sun. :rotfl2: I would never be able to deal with a screen.

Maybe one of the other 4/3s has an optical viewfinder? I'm beginning to think that I really don't need a DSLR. I know everyone goes there - but I'm unsure if it's necessary. Plus $$$$$. It's only the lens - the precision of it - I desire. My friend thinks I should get a Rebel (thank you for that sensor information) but I think he and I are scared I would whip it across the room in about ten seconds. :3dglasses Not good. :sad2:

Clarity and crisp. Drives me batty. The only reason. Why can't they do that on a p and s with the lens? I'm sure there's a straightforward answer to that but I'm not sure I understand it since the 4/3s are mirrorless. I know I'm probably making no sense!!!

I've realized that I like to take pictures more than I like to *figure them out* so to speak. I think the clue was "I am NOT changing the lens". :rotfl2:

Thank you Kathy. :love:

But I skipped 4. I know what I voted for. :flower3:

You would think - if I was a normal person :rolleyes1 - that this would bring a smile to my face

No, I'm not normal.

You know where my head went?

OH NO. KATHY VOTED FOR ME.:scared1: I WASN'T THE BEST. ONE OF THE TEN FOUNTAINS WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl2: OH NO - she gave a "let's pump my student up vote". :lmao: OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :goodvibes (Thank you is here somewhere sitting behind my horror!!! ;))

Have a wonderful holiday Kathy. :lovestruc

Once again loved the TR looking for more in the future! Love the rambling and scary part I followed all the way through and never seemed confused!

Have a safe and happy holiday season! :santa: - That goes for everyone following your TR. I think the interaction was great in your TR and we all felt a part of your journey - thank you.:thumbsup2

Thanks so much Denise!!! :goodvibes Sweet.

And a big thank you for loving the rambling. ;) So you get a big :love: :lmao:

Have a wonderful time with your loved ones. :goodvibes

OH NO - she gave a "let's pump my student up vote".

Have a wonderful holiday Kathy. :lovestruc

Absolutely not! :scared1: (there's my look of horror! ;)) A huge part of photography is catching a moment, a look, an expression. I remember that photo from a trip report or another thread you posted it on - just love the face - it's how I'd look like if I was getting deluged like that! :rotfl: And I wasn't the only vote so there. :cool2:

Hope you have a great holiday too!! :santa:

Thanks so much Kathy. That helps. I have to have the viewfinder. Are you ready? My eyes barely open in the sun. :rotfl2: I would never be able to deal with a screen.

Maybe one of the other 4/3s has an optical viewfinder? I'm beginning to think that I really don't need a DSLR. I know everyone goes there - but I'm unsure if it's necessary. Plus $$$$$. It's only the lens - the precision of it - I desire. My friend thinks I should get a Rebel (thank you for that sensor information) but I think he and I are scared I would whip it across the room in about ten seconds. :3dglasses Not good. :sad2:

Clarity and crisp. Drives me batty. The only reason. Why can't they do that on a p and s with the lens? I'm sure there's a straightforward answer to that but I'm not sure I understand it since the 4/3s are mirrorless. I know I'm probably making no sense!!!

I've realized that I like to take pictures more than I like to *figure them out* so to speak. I think the clue was "I am NOT changing the lens". :rotfl2:

Lisa - my guess is that the clarity and the crispness that you're looking for is not so much a function of the lens itself but more of the sensor. As such, if you find a P&S that has a large CMOS (i.e. DSLR-type) sensor, you'd probably end up being pretty happy. If a viewfinder is required, I'd think that you'd be hard to go wrong with Kathy's Sony NEX-5N with the optional viewfinder, the soon-to-be-released Sony NEX-7 with the built-in viewfinder and flash, the newest version of the Sony Axx series DSLR (the Sony SLT-A65), or the Panasonic DMC-G3 mirrorless. Just some more thoughts. Anyways, happy Xmas dreaming about new cameras and better photos! ;)

Lisa,
So sorry the TR is over! I've enjoyed following your zany antics! I hope you get another trip planned soon!

Oh LUCKY!!!!!!!! TR please.

OMG. The bold. :rotfl2:

It read like I hired some elves and got them to push Toronto south for a day or two. Push. Push. Push I say. :lmao: A thousand dollars for every degree you get it south of Minnesota. :rotfl2:

So funny.

You should put in Point Pelee, ON and see how many of your beautiful states lie north of there. It lines up with Northern California. What a fun game. :woohoo:

Thank you Kathy. :love:

I'll have to check out Point Pelee. Do they still play hockey if they are that far south?!?!? :beach:

As spleen mentioned the sensor size is a big part of what I also think you're looking for. The Panasonic G3 has a viewfinder and the 4/3rds sensor is larger than a P&S's. The Sony NEX 7 also is the first NEX with a built in viewfinder and has a APS-c size sensor which is what is used in most DSLR's. Otherwise AFAIK most other mirrorless at best have an add on viewfinder. Maybe an upgrade to a bridge camera? But most of these will have dreaded lenses to change. If your taking pictures in mostly good light (which you seem to, although that may be b/c of the camera?) then maybe just updating to a newer Bridge camera would be good. With camera's there always seems to be some compromise to be made. :headache:

A huge part of photography is catching a moment, a look, an expression.

True. Technically it wasn't there but I even loved the artistic nature of it. Sounds kind of pompous but regardless I'll say it. :rotfl2: Thanks Kathy. :goodvibes

Lisa - my guess is that the clarity and the crispness that you're looking for is not so much a function of the lens itself but more of the sensor. As such, if you find a P&S that has a large CMOS (i.e. DSLR-type) sensor, you'd probably end up being pretty happy. If a viewfinder is required, I'd think that you'd be hard to go wrong with Kathy's Sony NEX-5N with the optional viewfinder, the soon-to-be-released Sony NEX-7 with the built-in viewfinder and flash, the newest version of the Sony Axx series DSLR (the Sony SLT-A65), or the Panasonic DMC-G3 mirrorless. Just some more thoughts. Anyways, happy Xmas dreaming about new cameras and better photos! ;)

Spleen - thank you for taking the time with this post. It HELPED so much. I know nada and you were so clear. And sweet of you to take the time to link the reviews.

I don't have the money and am dreaming. But dreaming is lovely. :goodvibes And now I feel like I'm getting it all narrowed down. Because of you and Kathy - I actually held a couple of them and the Rebel. I felt like the Rebel was too much for me - so if a starting DSLR feels *too much* well :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:.

I could not believe how light the 4/3 were. Shocking.

The new Sony with the viewfinder - I was told - by a local chain - it would come in at $1400. :scared1:

As spleen mentioned the sensor size is a big part of what I also think you're looking for. The Panasonic G3 has a viewfinder and the 4/3rds sensor is larger than a P&S's. The Sony NEX 7 also is the first NEX with a built in viewfinder and has a APS-c size sensor which is what is used in most DSLR's. Otherwise AFAIK most other mirrorless at best have an add on viewfinder. Maybe an upgrade to a bridge camera? But most of these will have dreaded lenses to change. If your taking pictures in mostly good light (which you seem to, although that may be b/c of the camera?) then maybe just updating to a newer Bridge camera would be good. With camera's there always seems to be some compromise to be made. :headache:

Maybe I should just move this sucker over to the Photography board. :rotfl2: ;)

Kathy - you are making this SO MUCH EASIER for me. Thank you for the time and thought you have put into my endless questions.

My camera is awful for night photography. But I have a strange affinity for it. It's dying a slow painful death and I refuse to let it go. :confused3

But when I get the money I'm coming right back to this thread to narrrow it all down.

And I thought of you yesterday - I held so many - "Kathy says I must hold them all and see how they feel and that's it's just as important as reviews and such". Well something like that. :rotfl2:

Thank you for taking the time Kathy. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Hey where's my KAT4DISNEY TRs?

Lisa,
So sorry the TR is over! I've enjoyed following your zany antics! I hope you get another trip planned soon!

Alison!!! :love:

I hope so too - on planning one soon.

I'm coming over to your PTRs in about a week or two for sure. I'm going away and try to stay away from technology. But I'm a comin' when I get back. :thumbsup2

Hope your holiday has been wonderful. I did Christmas dinner and it was strangely fabulous. :confused3 I'm unsure how that happened. :rotfl2: Anyway made me think about your culinary skills - maybe you shared them with me for a day!

Happy New Year everyone!

Alison!!! :love:

I hope so too - on planning one soon.

I'm coming over to your PTRs in about a week or two for sure. I'm going away and try to stay away from technology. But I'm a comin' when I get back. :thumbsup2

Hope your holiday has been wonderful. I did Christmas dinner and it was strangely fabulous. :confused3 I'm unsure how that happened. :rotfl2: Anyway made me think about your culinary skills - maybe you shared them with me for a day!

Happy New Year everyone!

Could be! I certainly haven't used them for the last week! We just got home from Fabulous Las Vegas last night! Nightmare of a drive! Now back to the kitchen!

When you return from your break from technology come on over and check out all my food porn!

]Spleen - thank you for taking the time with this post. It HELPED so much. I know nada and you were so clear. And sweet of you to take the time to link the reviews.

I don't have the money and am dreaming. But dreaming is lovely. :goodvibes And now I feel like I'm getting it all narrowed down. Because of you and Kathy - I actually held a couple of them and the Rebel. I felt like the Rebel was too much for me - so if a starting DSLR feels *too much* well :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:.

I could not believe how light the 4/3 were. Shocking.

The new Sony with the viewfinder - I was told - by a local chain - it would come in at $1400. :scared1:

Yup, that new Sony NEX-7 is an eye popping amount. I guess that's what you get for lusting after the newest and best technology, eh? :confused3:scared1:

The good news is that the longer you wait, the cheaper the technology gets and more of the features that you want will trickle down to the lower end cameras. So keep dreaming - your dream camera will appear one day! (not quite Prince Charming but something along those lines ... :lmao:)

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa, how the heck are you? I saw your name on another part of the boards and wanted to say hi and came across this awesome trip report. I laughed out loud so many times. How have I never seen your trip reports before, I guess because they are hidden in the dvc world, and I live in the value resort world, so I would like an invite to your next one. I have a little envy of the dvc signatures in some of your followers. But I loved how you enjoyed your was it 10 year journey to dvc. My wdw love has been 5 years, so who knows what another 5 may bring.

Love the Boo-yah on the falls. I just ordered ds's passport so we could go to the "good" side of the falls this april.

And the turtle, OMG, you crack me up. So much more, I loved reading this, and spent 2 hours of my new years day reliving your trip.

Your pictures are amazing. Did you buy a camera? I think I was in the same place as you a few years back, and bought the Rebel XTI but haven't gotten into it as much as I wish. If I could go back, I would get more of the bridge type cameras with a longer zoom, and higher iso. I have a couple lenses, and it really does come in handy for any indoor shows ds might be in. I could never get decent pictures with my point and shoot. I love the viewfinder as well, and it's hard to find a camera with one now. I got the waterproof canon which does not have a viewfinder, and use it in my purse, and it does ok, so I tend to use that more than the dslr. Good luck with your camera choice.

I know there was much more I wanted to say, but was on call and got called to work, and now I can't think of it.

So hello!! Good to see you!! And I love a good drink with breakfast too!!:rotfl2:

Happy New Year!!

Hey Lisa! Just stopping by to say a belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I hope you enjoyed the holidays as well as your trip away from technology! Glad to hear your Christmas dinner was a fabulous success, thankfully I didn't have to do any hosting this year so my contributions, sadly, were purchased. But, this years Christmas Eve celebration will be at our house so I have my work cut out for this one, Jay's whole family comes, which is fun but whew, exhausting!

:wave2::wave2:

Hi Lisa,

Just checking in and letting you know I just booked OKW for a week in mid Feb!!! :cool1: Haven't stayed there yet and am pretty excited! Another new experience. :goodvibes Do you have any advice?

Got any trips developing on your end? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!

Later,

Rae

Hi everyone. :goodvibes So sorry I missed these posts.

Spleen - Prince Charming is about appealing in personality (and looks) as a cardboard box. :rotfl2: ;) I'm kind of like a Jeff Van Gundy kind of girl. Hopefully you know him. As for the camera - here's to 2012 being filled with money for a camera and some more DVC points. :thumbsup2 Hope the new year is going wonderfully.

Kathy - :love:. So thrilled to come on here and see you. Thank you for reading and posting. Loved reading it all. And your camera information was so helpful. No I haven't bought.

Amy - HI! Miss reading/hearing you. I'm over on WISH most of the time. Hope the new year is fabulous.

Rae - ditto. So thrilled to hear about your new holiday. Can't wait to hear. Oh advice. Some don't like this location because of buses nearby. But I first stayed at OKW in 4525 - I NEVER keep room numbers in my head. And this one is six years old - so it says a lot. Right on the canal and does not have a GV in it (noise from floors but I guess that's not an issue as no one has carpet now). I will never ever forget walking into this suite. It was my first one bedroom. And OKW blows you away in size. As of right now - no DVC trips planned. Soon, I hope.

Alison - if you catch this - I'll be over soon. Swamped over on the WISH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter