• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm never taking WDW for granted ever again

The soft serve ice cream is fantastic. As is the Pomegranate Limeade with Vodka and the Orange Creamsicle Vodka slush.

What, specifically, are you referencing as being terrible? These are snack and drink places, pretty much. Not sure how you go wrong with churros, ice cream, popcorn and alcoholic drinks.

I've never had any of the bread cones. Those all look gross to me.

I’m sorry. Did you say Carsland Cones has a pomegranate limeade with vodka AND an Orange creamsicle vodka slush!? I’m not sure how I missed this!!!!!!

I love GOING to Blue Bayou too..just hate eating there lol.
You make very valid points and honestly it's not the cost of the meal at all , it's quite literally the food quality.

I admit I can be more picky on food quality now than I used to be , I blame northern California local farmer markets and farm to table local run restaurants I have access to setting the bar way too high.
I just felt the filet at blue bayou has shrunk quite a bit and no lobster now , gumbo price now separate , all adds up to having very little to pull me in. I'm no stranger to paying a hefty price for my meals , and I love blue bayou especially going for lunch and having that "change of scenery" but also since I go so often ( average once a month from Northern Cali) I think maybe it has lost some of it's appeal due to all the factors above.

But I'm still guilty of taking a last minute same day Blue Bayou reservation I randomly come across..just because :teeth:
We ate at Blue Bayou in January 2020 for my daughter’s 4th bday because she has always wanted to eat “at the restaurants in Pirates.” It was myself, my parents, and both of my daughters. All of us were completely underwhelmed by the food- the portions were small, the food was just fine. They should deliver a better eating experience for what they’re charging, and this, IMO, is what WDW is way better at…. Table service.

We ate at Blue Bayou in January 2020 for my daughter’s 4th bday because she has always wanted to eat “at the restaurants in Pirates.” It was myself, my parents, and both of my daughter. All of us were completely underwhelmed by the food- the portions were small, the food was just fine. They should deliver a better eating experience for what they’re charging, and this, IMO, is what WDW is way better at…. Table service.

100% agree with this. I literally save Blue Bayou now for just the experience for someone who maybe this is a first trip or always wanted to go. Otherwise I just plan something offsite, and it really is a shame because Blue Bayou is so unique and part of the original Disney history in my eyes.

I find myself at WDW a few times a year still and always trying to cram in multiple table service because there are so many places I love but also haven't tried.

I will go against the grain and say I MUCH prefer our
Food and Wine and Festival of the Holidays over Epcot. But Epcot wins for alcohol :worship:

I always tell people if they ask if it is "worth" it.
What is worth to YOU ?
Is it food quality ? Is it just being there ?
Is it the fact you want to scratch it off the " Disney to do list?"

It's such a personal thing but more and more trying to equate cost with the experience that often isn't being met and I wish more people understood that going in to lessen the blow when their expectations fall short. I compare Blue Bayou to Be Our Guest in terms of quality. Granted some feel BOG is "amazing food" same with Blue Bayou so I think it really depends on the exposure the person has had too. If I never or rarely ate outside the home I might have a different perspective.

I’m sorry. Did you say Carsland Cones has a pomegranate limeade with vodka AND an Orange creamsicle vodka slush!? I’m not sure how I missed this!!!!!!

Yes! At Cones #1 and #4. The Creamsicle drink is seasonal but the Pomegranate Limeade is always available.

Screenshot_20221024-154215_Disneyland.jpg
Screenshot_20221024-154232_Disneyland.jpg

100% agree with this. I literally save Blue Bayou now for just the experience for someone who maybe this is a first trip or always wanted to go. Otherwise I just plan something offsite, and it really is a shame because Blue Bayou is so unique and part of the original Disney history in my eyes.

I find myself at WDW a few times a year still and always trying to cram in multiple table service because there are so many places I love but also haven't tried.

I will go against the grain and say I MUCH prefer our
Food and Wine and Festival of the Holidays over Epcot. But Epcot wins for alcohol :worship:

I always tell people if they ask if it is "worth" it.
What is worth to YOU ?
Is it food quality ? Is it just being there ?
Is it the fact you want to scratch it off the " Disney to do list?"

It's such a personal thing but more and more trying to equate cost with the experience that often isn't being met and I wish more people understood that going in to lessen the blow when their expectations fall short. I compare Blue Bayou to Be Our Guest in terms of quality. Granted some feel BOG is "amazing food" same with Blue Bayou so I think it really depends on the exposure the person has had too. If I never or rarely ate outside the home I might have a different perspective.
My husband and I took a trip to WDW years ago either before we had kids, or it was the last solo trip we took when we left our oldest with my parents. Anyway…. We did the premium dining plan and booked our entire trip around meals and snacks. It was SO much fun. This was before Disney Springs, and there were still so many fantastic places and the food was great.

I think I grow weary of the food at Disneyland because we go so much, and I try and eat healthy, and while there are healthy choices, I try and eat REALLY healthy, and that’s harder and I get tired of the same old thing. If you can blow up your diet, Disneyland has some wonderful counter service options, which you listed above.

We’ve done F&W once at Epcot and loved it…. The holiday festival at DCA always seems to have the worst lines and I always have my kids with me…. I’ve never done it! I’m going to plan a day when they’re at school and go solo and try some things!

COMPLETELY agree! I love love love the Boysen Apple Freeze (and the garlic parmesan bagel twists!) from Maurice's cart. Mint juleps, to me, feel like drinking mouthwash.

I love my MInt Juleps but used to get them at Blue Bayou for free refills , the seasonal ones like the watermelon were so good though! I agree that the Boysen Apple freeze is AMAZING and so underrated , same with those garlic parm twists!

The soft serve ice cream is fantastic. As is the Pomegranate Limeade with Vodka and the Orange Creamsicle Vodka slush.

What, specifically, are you referencing as being terrible? These are snack and drink places, pretty much. Not sure how you go wrong with churros, ice cream, popcorn and alcoholic drinks.

I've never had any of the bread cones. Those all look gross to me.

The bread cones specifically. Imo, they are inedible.

I don't go often but have found the seasonal Spicy Mac and cheese cone to be really delicious. But that's why I also think it's important to have varying recommendations.
But this offers a great counter discussion !
What is something you would recommend ? I want to hear about something I may have missed.

The same for me can be said for Cafe Orleans..for the life of me I CANNOT understand the appeal, lol.

My daughter and hubby loved the options at Award Wieners. I feel it's a good value as the hotdogs actually include proper french fries on the side.

The bread cones specifically. Imo, they are inedible.

The entire concept of those makes my stomach turn. I have never tried one. But I love the cones for the other snacks.

Now I wonder if I just got REALLY lucky the one time we got ours about a year ago or so. It was also the end of the night but bread was fluffy and went well with the spicy mac and cheese.

I guess I will be Defender of the Breadcone and say that the Mac & Cheese breadcone is perhaps my favorite food in DCA.

But I have a real problem with Mac & Cheese…

My son is obsessed with Mac and cheese and he won't even consider trying the mac and cheese cone.

Be he LOVES the Mac and cheese bread bowl from Pacific Wharf Cafe.

Speaking of Mac and cheese..what's the consensus on the Lobster Mac and Cheese from Harbor Galley ? May give it a go this week.

My daughter and hubby loved the options at Award Wieners. I feel it's a good value as the hotdogs actually include proper french fries on the side.

Award Wieners is always a solid choice, and the "Filmstrip Fries" are fantastic!

It also is a frontrunner for best Disney restaurant name, along with it's tagline, "Best Wiener in a Supporting Roll." 🤣 Good stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter